Advice needed: DDP or no DDP when your child is 10....

Clojel

DIS Veteran
We're heading to Disney at the end of April and this will be the first time we've gone since DD has turned 10. We're debating on whether or not to use the dining plan. DD has some "adult tastes" but more often than not, she's the kind of kid to opt for chicken fingers or mac & cheese. If we are on the plan, will she be allowed to order off the children's menu - knowing that she'll be charged the full dining credit? Or will it be easier to do that if we are OFF the plan where they might not even realize my daughter is 10 (she's exceptionally short for her age and we'll be traveling with her 9 year old best friend)? Or will she be stuck ordering off the adult menu regardless? I'm less concerned about the $ and more concerned that she gets to eat the kind of food she would like to eat!! Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks!

Anyone can order off the children’s menu and be charged as an adult. It’ll cost you quite a bit more for an adult DP for her than what it would be “worth” though.

Most restaurants will give her a larger portion of an item from the kids' menu. If you skip a Dining Plan, still please don't lie by omission about her age.

The problem with Disney adults ordering kid's meals with the dining plans RIGHT NOW is we've seen reports that they just can't do it anymore and use a credit. Some say they registers won't ring it up, others are just saying it can't be done. The credits are truly separated and Disney is still trying to figure out how to make this work.

Unless you're planning on doing several character buffets, I think this might be a good trip to try OOP and see how it works for you. She'll definitely be able to order whatever she wants at any restaurant paying OOP. Start buying some gift cards (Disney or otherwise) now and use those to make your own dining plan.

I'd pay out of pocket. Order what you want. Save money...win/win.

At QS places anyone can order and PAY for a kids meal if paying out of pocket. At table services it'll be more hit/miss, but at 10 I can't imagine too many places questioning her ordering a kids meal.

We got free dining when our son was 10. He was mostly much happier with kids meals.
It is NOT worth *paying* for the dining plan for a 10 year-old. Even for a 20-year-old, the value is questionable -- since they can't get alcohol. 99% of 10-year-olds will not get fair value out of the DDP.

BUT.... there is still a value to getting the dining plan. Get the 10-year-old kids meals, and pay OOP for them. Those meals are only like $10-$20 each. Then use those as extra credits for the ADULTS. Add in a couple signature restaurants, a couple extra TS meals. Some breakfasts. This is what we did with our 10-year-old's credits.

We got free dining when our son was 10. He was mostly much happier with kids meals.
It is NOT worth *paying* for the dining plan for a 10 year-old. Even for a 20-year-old, the value is questionable -- since they can't get alcohol. 99% of 10-year-olds will not get fair value out of the DDP.

BUT.... there is still a value to getting the dining plan. Get the 10-year-old kids meals, and pay OOP for them. Those meals are only like $10-$20 each. Then use those as extra credits for the ADULTS. Add in a couple signature restaurants, a couple extra TS meals. Some breakfasts. This is what we did with our 10-year-old's credits.

that's a really interesting idea!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts