Advice needed from Military Families RE: Edwards AFB

JoiseyMom

<font color=orange>Have you had your SPANX today??
Hey there guys, I need some help. My ds is graduating from college in May and he went on a ROTC scholarship. He was assigned his first choice, which was Edwards AFB. We just found out he has to be there on July 6. We now need to find him a place to live. I have never been to CA, so I need some help. Which is the closest airport to fly into the area? Which is the closest town for him to apt search? Is there a better area to look at then others? If we had known this sooner, we would have flown out last week when he was home on spring break to look. Of course they told him his first day back...sigh. Also to you military families, how does the moving him work?? Do they ship vehicles? DS has asked, but has gotten no information. He did tell me that they pack him and he wasn't supposed to pack?? That doesn't make sense to me. He is taking his clothing and boxes of his "stuff", but very little furniture. He is going to buy a bed and stuff like that out there. We are looking to fly out the end of May or sometime in June, to get him an apt that he can rent as of July 1. Any and all info will be greatly appreciated.

Can someone also tell me what his commissioning ceremony is going to be like?

Oh yeah, another important question. How far is Edwards from Anahiem (heck if I am going to be in CA... I may as well stop in at DL if I can)

Here is a map I got from the Edwards web page.
vicinity.jpg

JoiseyMom said:
Hey there guys, I need some help. My ds is graduating from college in May and he went on a ROTC scholarship. He was assigned his first choice, which was Edwards AFB. We just found out he has to be there on July 6. We now need to find him a place to live. I have never been to CA, so I need some help. Which is the closest airport to fly into the area? Which is the closest town for him to apt search? Is there a better area to look at then others? If we had known this sooner, we would have flown out last week when he was home on spring break to look. Of course they told him his first day back...sigh. Also to you military families, how does the moving him work?? Do they ship vehicles? DS has asked, but has gotten no information. He did tell me that they pack him and he wasn't supposed to pack?? That doesn't make sense to me. He is taking his clothing and boxes of his "stuff", but very little furniture. He is going to buy a bed and stuff like that out there. We are looking to fly out the end of May or sometime in June, to get him an apt that he can rent as of July 1. Any and all info will be greatly appreciated.

Can someone also tell me what his commissioning ceremony is going to be like?

Oh yeah, another important question. How far is Edwards from Anahiem (heck if I am going to be in CA... I may as well stop in at DL if I can)

No idea what his commissioning ceremony will be like, I am enlisted and never been to one.
DL is just outside of Burbank and I believe just a few hours (2ish give or take a little) from Edwards.
Here are a few links to the Edwards AFB web page, Hope it helps.
http://www.edwards.af.mil/

http://www.edwards.af.mil/about_edwards/index.html

Congratulations on your sons Commission!!!!!

The commissioning ceremony will be very nice. Bring lots of tissues, you will cry. Here's how we did it at the University of OK in Dec.

We had 8 cadets who were commissioning. Each cadet can choose which officer they'd like to administer the oath. They also get to pick who pins on their new rank (normally a parent or parents, spouse (boyfriend/girlfriend, fiancee) or in some cases children or grandparents) And finally they get to pick the NCO (non-commissioned officer) who gives them their first salute.

Ceremony starts with the National Anthem, presentation of the colors and a prayer. Guest speaker gives new Lieutenants words of wisdom and then they call up each cadet (we did it alphabetically). The announcer states who is tells a little about Cadet A, announces who is administering the oath, Cadet A takes oath of commissioning (cue tears). Then announcer states who will be pinning on the new rank (Mr and Mrs A), rank is pinned on, pictures taken and finally announcer states who the NCO is (Cadet A's best friend from high school - Staff Sgt Best Friend). NCO sharply salutes new LT, new Lt salutes back, more pictures, silver dollar crosses palms (from LT to NCO) and Cadet B is then announced, follow same format.

After all have been commissioned there are a few brief words, the Air Force song is sung and then cake and punch for everyone.

As for the moving part, yes it is typical that you don't pack yourself. The movers are hired to pack for you and your packing your own stuff could release them from liability. As for a car, your son's best bet is to probably to actually drive it to CA himself. Since he's not planning on taking much stuff he should look into a Do It yourself move.

He will be briefed on all this and as a newly commissioned lieutenant in the world's best Air Force should do fine on his own and that includes renting an apartment Mom. I know it's hard but ya gotta let him do it on his own or he won't make it in the Air Force. All Air Force bases have temporary quarters they use to house newly arrived personnel. All newly arrived personnel have 30-60 days to hunt for housing.

Oh and you'll be about 2 hours north of Disneyland ;)

I second, third and fourth everything ToriLammy said.

He'll have temporary quarters in which to live and some time to look for a place of his own. In fact, Edwards might even have bachelor officer quarters on base.

Congrats to your son and welcome to the Air Force!!

ToriLammy said:
The commissioning ceremony will be very nice. Bring lots of tissues, you will cry. Here's how we did it at the University of OK in Dec.

We had 8 cadets who were commissioning. Each cadet can choose which officer they'd like to administer the oath. They also get to pick who pins on their new rank (normally a parent or parents, spouse (boyfriend/girlfriend, fiancee) or in some cases children or grandparents) And finally they get to pick the NCO (non-commissioned officer) who gives them their first salute.

Ceremony starts with the National Anthem, presentation of the colors and a prayer. Guest speaker gives new Lieutenants words of wisdom and then they call up each cadet (we did it alphabetically). The announcer states who is tells a little about Cadet A, announces who is administering the oath, Cadet A takes oath of commissioning (cue tears). Then announcer states who will be pinning on the new rank (Mr and Mrs A), rank is pinned on, pictures taken and finally announcer states who the NCO is (Cadet A's best friend from high school - Staff Sgt Best Friend). NCO sharply salutes new LT, new Lt salutes back, more pictures, silver dollar crosses palms (from LT to NCO) and Cadet B is then announced, follow same format.

After all have been commissioned there are a few brief words, the Air Force song is sung and then cake and punch for everyone.

As for the moving part, yes it is typical that you don't pack yourself. The movers are hired to pack for you and your packing your own stuff could release them from liability. As for a car, your son's best bet is to probably to actually drive it to CA himself. Since he's not planning on taking much stuff he should look into a Do It yourself move.

He will be briefed on all this and as a newly commissioned lieutenant in the world's best Air Force should do fine on his own and that includes renting an apartment Mom. I know it's hard but ya gotta let him do it on his own or he won't make it in the Air Force. All Air Force bases have temporary quarters they use to house newly arrived personnel. All newly arrived personnel have 30-60 days to hunt for housing.

Oh and you'll be about 2 hours north of Disneyland ;)

OK, I just cried through your entire post...sigh, I am a mush. He has too much stuff to fit into either one of his cars, they are small, so he will need the movers. Since he is going to need a bed, we were discussing it, and it makes sense to buy it here, and let the movers move it out there, so he will have more stuff then I originally thought. He also has 2 cars he needs to get cross country, I am thinking maybe his brother can drive the other one, they can bond. I am sure he will do fine in the AF, but he did ask for help with the apartment finding. AF Officer or not, he is still just 21 years old, and still needs some advice and help from his parents. I won't go overboard, but if he asks me to help, I am going to do so. I would probably be handling this better if they kept him better informed. And if you think I have questions, my mil is worse.

Hmmm...2 hours north of DL, which means DL, is really close to the airport I will be flying into if I fly out there!

Thanks for all the great input!!!

BuckNaked said:
I second, third and fourth everything ToriLammy said.

He'll have temporary quarters in which to live and some time to look for a place of his own. In fact, Edwards might even have bachelor officer quarters on base.

Congrats to your son and welcome to the Air Force!!

They do have bachelor officer quarters, but not enough, so we figured he would be getting an apartment. Once he found out where he was going, he had me looking for him.

Thanks!

I understand about him being 21, my son turns 21 in May and I'm not sure I'd be able to say no if my son asked for help. BUT, the Air Force will provide your son with the help he needs. They will not let him just show up without any assistance. He will be assigned a "sponsor" - another officer (probably even a LT) who is already assigned to the same unit he will be assigned to. His sponsor will send him info on the base, the housing situation, where to rent, where not too etc. Your son's sponsor will have the most up-to-date info and hands-on experience because they probably went through the same thing. It's one of the things the Air Force does every well, "TAKE CARE OF THEIR OWN."

Like I said, I completely understand cause I'm a mom but I'm also a retired AF NCO who joined when I was 12 days shy of my 18th birthday and I can't stress enough the sense of accomplishment and pride for doing things on my own. Scary yes ..but everyone has to grow up sometime and after 4 years of college and ROTC training I'd hazard a guess that your son is more than ready. Tell him you will help him get ready for the move from your end but that it's time for him to stretch those wings. Assure him that you'll be there with a safe place to fall but that you think he's more than ready and incrediebly capable of doing this. Tell him to make sure he asks for sponsor and he starts corresponding with that sponsor now!

And as an added side note - does he really need 2 cars? He can only drive one at a time. I mean I understand insurance in Jeresy is expensive but I've heard rumors about CA insurance and while Lt pay is not bad it's by no means a lot of money. Maybe he should "gift" one of them to the brother - talk about bonding ;)

Please let him do this on his own! DH has been in 12yrs and while I am sure it has happened we haven't seen any new LT's have their parents show up to help them in process. As a new Lt there will be plenty of ribbing already, no need to create a situation for more. Offer him advice, maybe look at apartments for him on the net, maybe make a list of things he might want to shop for, small appliances, bath mats etc but really there isn't much harm that can be done by him doing this on his own. I am sure you have taught your son well and now it is time for him to put that into action.

If he hasn't already he may want to consider getting his insurance through USAA, they have great rates and great customer service. Also when you are ready to visit him Las Vegas is only a 2 or so hours away and typically has good air fare.

If he is going to buy a new bed he probably should buy it there that way he doesn't have to worry about the movers damaging it.

JoiseyMom said:
They do have bachelor officer quarters, but not enough, so we figured he would be getting an apartment. Once he found out where he was going, he had me looking for him.

Thanks!
Does he know how long he will actually remain stationed there? It would be unfortunate to set up an apartment and have to move in 6 months, lease considerations, etc.

DH and I were married one week after he was commissioned (he was active duty army 10 yrs before becoming reservist). Then we moved FAR away 2 weeks later. It was the experience of our life! We learned a lot on that move, found a nice place to stay for his 6 month OBC class (found a new, furnished apartment).

They split the class up so that married officers were together and single ones were in another group. The wives had optional classes to learn about military functions, etiquette, etc! Was a great learning experience for everyone. Then we moved to our first duty station 6 months later and knew how to do everything! :)

Since it was only 6 months and we wanted to drive out together, we left my car with my parents. It worked well for us. :goodvibes If he ever goes overseas, they only pay to ship one vehicle. Some people shipped a second on their own, but we just bought a second car in Germany.

USAA is great. :)

And YES, they WILL pack him. Every single thing. If there is a stray plastic fork in his kitchen, it will be individually wrapped and packed! :rotfl: He should clean well before the movers arrive. ;)

I echo that he needs to get hooked up with USAA for car and renters insurance definitely!

Also...he can call the housing office on base re: rentals. While on base housing for bachelors may be limited, typically housing offices also have listings of apartments and houses for rent! Also, his sponsor can help him to figure out what are the good/bad neighborhoods. If he hasnt been there before, I would recommend he go there and live in TLF (temporary housing) and then scope out the area to see where he wants to be.

DH was a AFROTC commandant of cadets last year and trust me, they are given tons of information!

Best of luck to him! (and you Mom!)

ETA that USAA also has a lot of moving info and checklists on line!!

ToriLammy said:
I understand about him being 21, my son turns 21 in May and I'm not sure I'd be able to say no if my son asked for help. BUT, the Air Force will provide your son with the help he needs. They will not let him just show up without any assistance. He will be assigned a "sponsor" - another officer (probably even a LT) who is already assigned to the same unit he will be assigned to. His sponsor will send him info on the base, the housing situation, where to rent, where not too etc. Your son's sponsor will have the most up-to-date info and hands-on experience because they probably went through the same thing. It's one of the things the Air Force does every well, "TAKE CARE OF THEIR OWN."

Like I said, I completely understand cause I'm a mom but I'm also a retired AF NCO who joined when I was 12 days shy of my 18th birthday and I can't stress enough the sense of accomplishment and pride for doing things on my own. Scary yes ..but everyone has to grow up sometime and after 4 years of college and ROTC training I'd hazard a guess that your son is more than ready. Tell him you will help him get ready for the move from your end but that it's time for him to stretch those wings. Assure him that you'll be there with a safe place to fall but that you think he's more than ready and incrediebly capable of doing this. Tell him to make sure he asks for sponsor and he starts corresponding with that sponsor now!

And as an added side note - does he really need 2 cars? He can only drive one at a time. I mean I understand insurance in Jeresy is expensive but I've heard rumors about CA insurance and while Lt pay is not bad it's by no means a lot of money. Maybe he should "gift" one of them to the brother - talk about bonding ;)

LOL, the two cars are old. One is a used Saturn he bought for commuting to college. The other is his "baby", a used Mazada RX7, his toy. He uses it for "drifting". We live right near Raceway Park. His insurance isn't bad for the two cars, they are insured in NY where he goes to school. My sons passion is cars. He is an engineering major, and I can see him designing engines and stuff with cars. He originally wanted to desgin roller coasters. Most of the stuff in his room are going to be his model cars, remote controled cars, and of course his Hess truck collection!!

I also have to say at this point I do not plan on going out there with him, as we originally thought of doing. I had no idea about the sponsers or the temp housing. He has been given very little information, which is why I came here. I hoped someone could fill me in. Hearing what I have, unless he wants me to fly out there, we will help him shop, and let him go out there on his own. Except for the person driving his other car, unless he ships it out there. Maybe our August vacation with be in CA, and I can take my 2 little ones to DL, and maybe my big one if he can gets a weekend off!

DawnCt1 said:
Does he know how long he will actually remain stationed there? It would be unfortunate to set up an apartment and have to move in 6 months, lease considerations, etc.

From what he has heard he should be there for at least 3 of his 4 year stint.

poohbear1029 said:
I echo that he needs to get hooked up with USAA for car and renters insurance definitely!

Also...he can call the housing office on base re: rentals. While on base housing for bachelors may be limited, typically housing offices also have listings of apartments and houses for rent! Also, his sponsor can help him to figure out what are the good/bad neighborhoods. If he hasnt been there before, I would recommend he go there and live in TLF (temporary housing) and then scope out the area to see where he wants to be.

DH was a AFROTC commandant of cadets last year and trust me, they are given tons of information!

Best of luck to him! (and you Mom!)

ETA that USAA also has a lot of moving info and checklists on line!!

Yes, he has learned about USAA. He has been insured with them since his 2nd year of college. He also moved his checking and savings accounts to them. He is going to get a credit card with them, and use their wonderful loan program to pay off his student loans also. I am going to talk to him later and will tell him what I have learned. My mind is so much more at ease right now. My biggest issues was not knowing, and he hasn't had much information. Now that I know how things are handled I feel much better.

Thanks to all of you for all the information. You have made this mom breathe much easier!!

JoiseyMom said:
From what he has heard he should be there for at least 3 of his 4 year stint.

Plus there are "military clauses" where your orders get you out of contracts. No need to worry in that area. If he ever buys a place, he will have to rent or sell it though.
Good luck to you all. I think the trip, with the sidetrip to DL would be great! Our parents came out to see us after a month or 2! :)

DawnCt1 said:

Very important, any lease he signs should have a military clause built in that if he gets orders he can break the lease with limited or no penalty! Most renters in military communities are familiar with that. That way if he gets transfered before he expects, he wont be out anything.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter