Advice needed - What else can I do?

Mouse Ear

Earning My Ears
Hey all!

I'm getting pretty excited for my first ever Disneyland trip! I've been to WDW a few times, and I'm stoked to be heading out to California to see where it all began. My trip will be May 31-June 6, and I'm planning to spend 4 days in the parks. I will be landing about 11am 5/31 at LAX, leaving at 5:30pm 6/5 at LAX. I'm looking for advice of what to do with the rest of my time. As of now, I'm not planning on renting a car (the thought of driving in LA makes me cringe... I'm from the hollers of Tennessee) but I'm willing to do it for a day or two if necessary. I will be traveling with a friend, we're both in our 20s, and we love Disney history.

Here are some things I'm wanting to do, but not going to be devastated if it doesn't happen - I mean, I gotta have some reasons to travel back, right? ;) I'm also very open to other ideas.
San Diego Zoo
Griffith Park
Hollywood Walk of Fame - It'd be cool if I could work in the Tam O'Shanter in on this.
A beach (I'm thinking Huntington or Malibu)
Downtown Disney? (Do I need dedicated time for this? Will it take away too much time at the parks?)

Other information you may find helpful - I'm hoping to get spots for the Walking in Walt's Footsteps tour, and probably a dinner reservation at Napa Rose.

Okay guys... what do you think? Travel tips to any destinations would also be appreciated.

Exposition Park in LA. It includes a rose garden, the California Science Center (with the Space Shuttle Endeavour), LA Memorial Coliseum, and other stuff I haven't tried. They have the Olympic Flame at the Coliseum.

No need to really fear driving. So many people think it is scary to drive here. Once you drive around for a while you would get used to it. Trying to get to the beach by bus or a taxi could cost a bit. Bus it would cost you more time wise.

San Diego has the trolley, and the bus system to go to different places that is easier to get around with their mode of transportation. Orange county is much more spread out.

Downtown Disney is a good place to spend time. Lots of people go there. I would study the trains, Amtrak and metrolink. If you get to the train station in Anaheim. (I would suggest UBER or a bus), its an easy trip to San Clemente Beach, which is a wonderful beach with a nice ieir for dining, you can also go from the train to the redline and make it to Highland in Hollywood.

I've done this several times with guests:

Go to Griffith Park Observatory before 10am (they open at 10). You can visit the observatory and see the Hollywood sign from up there. If it's the weekend, drive 'round to the other side to the carousel where Walt Disney took his daughters. From there you can have lunch at the Tam O'Shanter (they are all in same relative area). Go back towards the 101 freeway north to Highland Exit. When you're near Gower you'll see the circular Capital Records to your left and you'll see the Tower Hotel (inspiration for Tower of Terror) on the right. Get off on Highland (you'll be by the Hollywood Bowl) turn left, get to the right lane and park in the underground parking at Highland and Hollywood. You'll be at the complex, and can walk to the Graumann's Chinese Theater and El Capitan across the street. Spend some time there. If you time it right you can also visit La Brea Tar Pits, Farmers Market, and/or Santa Monica Pier. You'll just need to map it out ahead of time.

Another day you can do Huntington Beach or Newport Beach - both are nice. If you can, rent bikes. The channel by Newport Beach is the same where the Minnow started that fateful "3 hour tour" for Gilligan's Island. You could start your day at Disneyland, then late morning head out to the beach. We typically have a marine layer in the mornings that burns off by late morning. Sometimes we have Santa Ana winds that will start the days off sunny, and then it might be good to go to the beach. You might want to spend the early part of the day at Disneyland, then maybe go to the beach later in the day and stay for sunset - we can get some beautiful sunsets. If you go to Huntington or Newport Beach that would work; Malibu would be a little too far.

We just returned home from Disneyland last week. I would definitely recommend the San Diego Zoo!! The weather this time of year is fantastic and you will see a lot of animals. We also did Griffith Observatory. This was one of my favorite things!! We went at night and it was gorgeous to see all of LA from that perspective. If you go, definitely wait in the line to look through the huge telescope. It was focused on Jupiter that night and you could see it so well, you could even see the stripes and it's 4 moons!!!

1044396_10153944864292429_8881027229292749822_n.jpg
This was taken in front of Griffith Observatory. My buddy lives in LA and he knew to take us down in front of the observatory - it's a little hike down, but worth it. We could see all of L.A. and he took this photo of my husband and our two teens looking at the beautiful view. Oh and be sure and see the Tesla coil if you go too.

Downtown Disney is not the same as Disney springs in Florida. It's great to see and there are some cute shops but really it won't take that long to do. The itenerary that web,mastermaryj gave was a good one. The only other tidbit I would add is if you can't get into Napa rose head over to steakhouse 55 inside Disneyland hotel. Much cheaper ($100 versus $200) and food is just as good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter