After hurricane drive to Disney.....HELP!!!

Semi drivers are professionals. This is not their first rodeo. Watch and learn from them.

There is nowhere that I mentioned that as a negative at all. Parts of I75 are 2 lanes through mountainous terrain, additional traffic could cause problems(specifically TN). Additional semi traffic increases the chance of slower traffic through the mountains since they can't go 70 mph up a steep incline.

Semi drivers are professionals. This is not their first rodeo. Watch and learn from them.

Things like this do happen often though in our part of the world. This is from WKYT last night.

"Police say cars were at a standstill because of another crash, then the semi hit a car and started a domino effect.

The crash occurred around 5:45 p.m. in Laurel County just north of exit 41.

One woman has died."

We left WDW at about 9 am yesterday. Took the toll road to 75 and 75 all the way through GA to Chattanooga and then to 81. Stopped in Bristol TN for the night at about 10:30. Now back on 81 through VA. Traffic was good yesterday, no problems with weather. Signs everywhere to avoid NC. It's a longer route but safer. I saw on the news that they had tornados yesterday in Richmond, which is I95. I'll be home tonight.
If more people would do what you did -- listen to the authorities who are on the ground in the affected areas and know what the reality is there -- it would make the recovery effort easier, and their trips would be safer.

You also said this route took you four hours longer. Right, but that's fours longer than your usual route in normal traffic. But there are no normal conditions in those areas this week, and probably not for some time to come. Road closures, detours, slow traffic, and bad conditions on your normal route probably would have take much longer than normal.

The death toll at 7 AM this morning was 32. I haven't checked more recently, but I am quite sure it will continue to climb.

If more people would do what you did -- listen to the authorities who are on the ground in the affected areas and know what the reality is there -- it would make the recovery effort easier, and their trips would be safer.

You also said this route took you four hours longer. Right, but that's fours longer than your usual route in normal traffic. But there are no normal conditions in those areas this week, and probably not for some time to come. Road closures, detours, slow traffic, and bad conditions on your normal route probably would have take much longer than normal.

The death toll at 7 AM this morning was 32. I haven't checked more recently, but I am quite sure it will continue to climb.

I agree, 95 would not be a normal drive right now and would end up being longer and worse. I was just comparing to the "normal" 95 drive time to help people plan accordingly.

Hmm. I didn't think it would take that much longer. Unless you hit very heavy traffic in Atlanta.

How was Atlanta?
GA traffic was fine but if you live close to 95 (which I do) going 75 to 81 is a big detour around 95.

There is nowhere that I mentioned that as a negative at all.

Fwiw, as a casual reader of this post, I didn’t take Jim’s comment to be negative at all. I took it as an offshoot thought for those reading the thread. You mentioned that semi traffic was higher, and he’s saying travelers should learn from what they are doing by rerouting as well.

How was Atlanta?
Atlanta traffic is all about WHEN.

If you go through during mid-morning, mid afternoon, or evening, Atlanta traffic can be smooth sailing on wide expressways. There will still be considerable traffic, but it will be moving.

At rush hour -- and Atlanta's rush hour is longer than most -- Atlanta can be a parking lot. We all think we have awful traffic in our hometowns, but Atlanta truly does have horrific traffic during some periods. The only place I've seen to rival Atlanta traffic is Washington DC - suburban VA.

Fwiw, as a casual reader of this post, I didn’t take Jim’s comment to be negative at all. I took it as an offshoot thought for those reading the thread. You mentioned that semi traffic was higher, and he’s saying travelers should learn from what they are doing by rerouting as well.
Yes, that is exactly what I meant. Sorry if I worded it in a confusing way.

Atlanta traffic is all about WHEN.

If you go through during mid-morning, mid afternoon, or evening, Atlanta traffic can be smooth sailing on wide expressways. There will still be considerable traffic, but it will be moving.

At rush hour -- and Atlanta's rush hour is longer than most -- Atlanta can be a parking lot. We all think we have awful traffic in our hometowns, but Atlanta truly does have horrific traffic during some periods. The only place I've seen to rival Atlanta traffic is Washington DC - suburban VA.

True. However, I've seen bad traffic in Atlanta during all times of the day. Including non-rush hour. That's why I asked. :)

I also didn't mention the far left lanes like I usually do. That's our normal standby lanes. However, isn't that an electronic toll lane now?

Not that it matters to us...we aren't planning to drive to that part of the country for at least another year.

I also didn't mention the far left lanes like I usually do. That's our normal standby lanes. However, isn't that an electronic toll lane now?
I thought the far left lane in Atlanta was the HOV lane. The toll lane is south of Atlanta, isn't it?

UPDATE: Made it to NY. The drive through VA and PA on 81 was great. No rain and not a lot of traffic. Definitely best to avoid I95. Good luck to everyone trying to drive to or from WDW, stay safe.

What roads did you take from Disney to get to 81?

What roads did you take from Disney to get to 81?
We left WDW at about 9 am yesterday. Took the toll road to 75 and 75 all the way through GA to Chattanooga and then to 81. Stopped in Bristol TN for the night at about 10:30. Now back on 81 through VA. Traffic was good yesterday, no problems with weather. Signs everywhere to avoid NC. It's a longer route but safer. I saw on the news that they had tornados yesterday in Richmond, which is I95. I'll be home tonight.

Florida Turnpike to I-75.

Is I-95 to I-26 (or RT-321) to I-77 to catch I-81 a doable route? Have to head to NE from WDW a week from Friday! Sounds like the OP made it home safely which is good to hear!

Is I-95 to I-26 (or RT-321) to I-77 to catch I-81 a doable route? Have to head to NE from WDW a week from Friday! Sounds like the OP made it home safely which is good to hear!
It might be, but it's too early to tell. The most recent batch of fatality reports came from SC and I don't know what the situation is like between Columbia and Charleston.

FWIW, Google Maps currently shows that as the quickest route from WDW to Columbia, SC. Maps shows a LOT of I-95 closures North of Florence, but nothing south of I-26. Of course, some rivers are still rising and that could change.

If it's not good, a little more westerly route (like i-95 to Savannah, US 25-US 80 to Augusta, and then I-20 up to I-26) should work. We have friends who live in Chapin, SC, off 26 just NW of Columbia and they had very little damage.

Driving next Friday from NY to Disney.
Do you think 95 will be reopen by then ?
That's anybody's guess at this point. Right now, the I-95 closures are literally because the highway is under water.

First, the flood waters have to recede and then the engineers need to inspect the roads and be sure they are safe to drive. Will that happen in the next 10 days? I have no idea.

You're just going to have to keep checking. I would rely on NC Dept of Transportation for accurate, reliable information.

Later on today we will start our 14th drive to WDW from NJ. With the hurricane damage and flooding we will have to stray from 95, which we have never had to do before. We can go to 81/77/95 or take 95 to VA, then 85 (then what appears to be a bunch of smaller highways) ending up back on 95 mid South Carolina. This is just according to the maps app and the time difference between the routes appears minimal, a matter of minutes.

I would appreciate any input! Thanks!!!

AAA is suggesting take I-95 around Dc then take I-85 West
Later on today we will start our 14th drive to WDW from NJ. With the hurricane damage and flooding we will have to stray from 95, which we have never had to do before. We can go to 81/77/95 or take 95 to VA, then 85 (then what appears to be a bunch of smaller highways) ending up back on 95 mid South Carolina. This is just according to the maps app and the time difference between the routes appears minimal, a matter of minutes.

I would appreciate any input! Thanks!!!

We’re driving from NY next week. If 95 isn't open by then, I plan on taking the 85 around 95 in NC. It doesn’t go that far out of the way West.

Good luck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter