airfare higher today!

206bones

Mouseketeer
We're heading t WDW on Nov. 9 [unless we change the date because of the cost of airfare]. I've been checking the cost for PVD to MCO on Southwest, Orbitz, Expedia, & Delta on a daily basis for the last several months. I was hoping that as we got within 2 months of the trip, the prices would drop. When I checked Southwest today, prices were the same - about $250 r/t. The other airlines all increased their fares by about $100 from where they were!

Now I'm really panicking - I want to get a better price on airfare. We've never paid $250 before, never mind more than that.

I'll try to stay calm & hold out, at least until early September.

Any other ideas on where to get a good fare?

I hate to say this, but.... I am just not sure the sales will be as good as in years past. That said, usually the airlines have a sale after Labor Day. I don't know what I would do if I were you.

I felt like you about a month ago. We found an OK fare for the Christmas holidays, didn't take it, and watched the fares go up, up, up.

When they started to fall, we grabbed a decent price....not the greatest, but OK. I am so glad we did because nothing is coming close to the fare we took now!

Sometimes it just feel like these fares are a game of chance....I feel that if you find a fare you are OK with, grab it and don't look back!!

Have a wonderful trip!

Karen

206bones

I've found Delta to be about $100 more to fly out of Providence than Boston. Granted, Logan is a mess right now, but I flew out of there in June and had no problems. Just drive and park at Logan Express in Framingham (right off the Mass Pike) and let them handle the driving in and around Boston! The extra money I saved I spent in Disney!!!

Hope this might help!! :p

I'm having the same problem too!

Tuesday night at work I was checking Expedia as we are going to WDW the first weekend in December. Found a great rate of $136.00 rt per person, non-stop out of Indy. Excellent! Of course I didn't have my credit card with me. So, first thing Wed. a.m. I log on to buy our tickets. The rate jumped $100!!!! All in a matter of a few hours.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that after labor day I can find a decent rate. Even ATA is high and usually you can find a decent price with them. I understand the airline industry is suffering, but don't they understand? Your average family can't afford the high prices they are charging. I'm all for supporting the industry. I want to fly, and actually I prefer to go this route, but if the prices don't drop it looks like I might be driving. :confused:

Have you considered flying into Tampa? I, like you asked a question regarding when to purchase airfare for my wife and I, for our December trip. Many people on these boards suggested I look into Tampa. It is about 1 hour 15 minutes to an hour and a half from Orlando, but the price I received was just too good to pass up. We got roundtrip from Providence for a total of 210, for both of us!!

Just an idea to throw out there. Good luck!!:)

--Jim

206 bones,
Have you tried US Airways?? Yes, they filed Chapter 11, but they arent closing down. We got our r/t air fare from Pittsburgh to Orlando for 185 per person. That pretty much what its been for us the past 4 years. Now, we booked that about a month ago, and my dad decided today that he was going to come too. I went and reserved his flight and it went up a little to 205. Still.. not THAT bad. I know they still have that rate for Nov. Im not sure if you can get US airways where you are.

You can try www.qixo.com. But, if you find the flights you want, go directly to the airline (the flights will probably be about $20 cheaper).
Just find the same flight at the airlines website.

GinaB,
I also live in Indy, and we are planning a trip to Disney the first week of December. I have been watching the prices for about two weeks. Delta went up last weekend for a day or so then seemed to go back down. We ended up booking at the 136$ price. Keep checking. I think it was 8/16 the fares went down. The day before they were higher and I was kicking myself for not booking before. Grabbed them when I found they went back to where they had been. ATA has seemed to be higher recently. We flew them last year. You might keep checking a few times a day. I read last week where one gal checked at lunch a got a great price, and for fun checked when she got home from work and the prices were up again. Best of luck.

I got great airfare for the first week of December last year by booking on Sunday of Labor Day weekend. USAir puts their flight changes in on Sunday morning of the first weekend of the month. I don't know if other airlines do that. Keep checking, I got our last May tickets on a Tuesday or Wednesday night in February when the price dramatically dropped.

Are you also signed up for Travelocity's Fare watcher?
That's how I found out about the good rates we got. :)

All the flight changes by usairways are put in by the 5th of the month,(this is called detailing the flight) this way the QUEUE team has time to work them. And 185 out of pit is high. By playing on the itnernet I fgound it for 80 for one person and 140 for the other ticket. The best times to buy the air is between 1- 5 am. At midnight east coast time they start to load the fares and seats into the computer. Usually by 4 am or so they are pretty much finished. Typically the best times to get the lowest fares are tues/wed/thurs(purchaisng them that is). Fri/sat/sun and into mon they usually have the higher fares listed because most people are off work on the weekends and this is when they get together to look for flights and book their reservations. For dec flights in the past 16 yrs or so I have seen most of the best fares come out in oct. For nov travel (as long as its before the thanksgiving holiday) they usually put those fares out around labor day. You may see some fares that are going to be higher now that they will start to tack on the security fees. They're going to get you one way or another.

I always pay about 180-ish out of Pittsburgh! I thought that WAS good!! haha. they always have lower prices listed, for example, I tried to get my dad a ticket since he decided to go with us, and there was a 148 fare listed. But, it wasnt for when I needed to go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter