airline seating changes for spec needs

della

DIS Veteran
I am in a panic! We will be flying to WDW in Dec. In an effort to make life easier during some hectic days, I had dh book our flight through a local travel agent. Now that we have made it through Thanksgiving I went online to check our seating for our flight. We are a family of six (2 adults, 10yr old-neurologically impaired, 6 yr old SID, 5yr old-autistic and a medically fragile foster baby-sitting on lap). On the flight down we are seated 4 and 2 with one row behind the other. This is fine. But on the flight home we are seated 2 together, then 1 in the next row behind, 1 in the next behind that and 1 seated about another 6 rows back. I called the airline to try and change this and was told we would have to wait until the day of our flight and get there early. The woman said she was noting our reservation-that it would need to be changed but nothing could be guaranteed. I am so nervous about this. This flight will be after a week at WDW! I have no idea how my kids will react. I am anxious for any advise and I am wondering how accomodating have the airlines been with others? We are flying Spirit Airlines the 2nd week of Dec. TIA

People are understanding and believe me they will change seats for kids. Once we where 2 and 2, my dd was sitting with her uncle. The lady who was sitting in my aisle change sits so DD could sit with us. This last trip people where already boarding when we got there flew Southwest no assigned seating, my DH is in a wheelchair and he really needs the 1st seat because we have to pick him up and place him in the seat, other seating is just to tightly packed. A man was in the front seat and he graciouly gave up this seat, he moved over to window seat. Then after he figured out he'd have to step over DH if he wanted out he moved to another seat.
You should have no problem. If the airlines do not fix it. I'm sure talk to the folks in the seats them self. people would trade. I sure won't want a scared kid alone next to me. I'd change seats. -

if you have not already contacted the Special Needs department for your ariline, try that. They may not know they have a Special Needs department, but they do have someone that handles special needs.
Here's a link to the disability info from Spirit airlines. And here is a helpful phone number that I got from a newspaper article. Hotline for Air Travelers with Disabilities:
(800) 778-4838 (voice)
(800) 455-9880 (TTY)
It's a federal hotline number for "real time" assistance for people with disabilities that have problems during air travel.
The airport agent will do what they can to seat you together, but it is important to get there early. If you do, they are able to do some changing of seat assignments, but if boarding passes have already been issued with seat assinments, you are at the mercy of convincing people to trade. Sometimes if they can't get you seats together, the agent can assign you seats that are desireable ones (like aisle seats), which makes people more willing to change with you.
As Sarah's mom mentioned, most people will trade seats, but there always are those who refuse. My older DD and I were on a flight once where when we got on, there was a man sitting in my aisle seat. He asked if he could switch his (3rd seat in place) for the aisle because his 6 year old daughter who was autistic, was seated 3 rows ahead on the aisle by herself and if he was on the aisle, he'd be able to see her. The people seated next to her (2 adults and 2 older teens) refused to switch. I offered to switch with his DD, so that he could sit with her, but he declined since she was already settled and would probably be more upset by moving. His wife and toddler were seated in about 20 rows back. He was just happy they were together bacause the original seats they had were no one together at all.
On our last flight in March as a family, my DH and younger DD (multiply disabled) were assigned to row 29 or something and other DD and I were behind them in the last row. The agent was able to move DH and DD with disability to row 12, but was not able to switch with us and no one in the front would switch for our back row seats, so we sat apart.

I would call them back and explain the situation to them again and if they gave me the same information I would ask to speak to a supervisor and then their supervisor. I would keep going until I recieved the help that I needed. I have done this at different times and have gotten what I needed. Hope this helps.

Dan-tot

I just wanted to send you some support and don't worry. I agree with the others either contact the special needs line of the airport or speak to a manager. When we flew with our DS I told them we had to sit (the 3 of us) together as he is autistic. Just keep trying.

Thank you all so much for the info and support. We are flying out of a rather small airport. I think I may take a ride down there ahead of time (with kids in tow) and talk face to face to a real person. We've been checking the online seating and found the back row was empty yesterday so we changed our seating to that row. I will still go down and just make sure every thing is ok. Thanks again. It's so nice to have a place where people "get it"!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter