Airmiles Armchair Chatter

Just back from Sobeys shop (Barrhaven for those in the neighbourhood) and I have to vent.

I picked up 2 of the cakes on the front page buy 1 get 50AM. Not all the tags were up yet so I specifically asked the bakery person if this particular cake counted towards the 50AM promotion. Yes it did. Went through the cash, AM total seemed low, went to the car to reconcile my shop before I left the parking lot. Sure enough I was only given 50AM for one of the two cakes I purchased.

Went in to speak with CS to get the other 50AM added. He was helping someone else so I patiently waited. Finally got around to me and I told him what happened. Usually just a simple add the airmiles. No not with this one. He read the flyer and then said he thought it was one cake per purchase or collector account I don't know which. Tried to call a manager to ask. Flipped through lots of papers in their exception binder. Other people showed up with questions so he finally said "Oh I'll just put them through because I'm too busy to look this up now."

I got my 50AM but I left feeling like I was doing something wrong.

Anyone else want to try 2 cakes and see if this happens to you? Last week at Foodland, no issue what so ever. It wasn't like I was picking up 6 of them. I bought 2.

I was going to say no way. You get multiple air miles when you purchase multiples of the offer. However, I'm on chat with Pam and she's trying to tell me this is NEW and it's 1 offer PER CARD PER DAY from now on. I'm still on chat. I asked her to check with someone else and she said she's going to review the information they were sent.

Now she says it's not up to Air Miles but Sobey's makes that decision.

Well, I'm suppose to be heading to Sobey's today or tomorrow. They'll get a headache from me if it's really 1 offer per card per day now. I'll be asking to see the fine print for every offer in the flyer that says that. If they flat out refuse to honor the air miles, then they will have to ring in returns for foods. I don't know if they throw out the returned (or changed my mind at the cashier) food like Wal-mart does, but if they do - this will be a big hassle for them.

UPDATE: I just got off the phone with Sobey's customer service number. The lady I spoke with there said this is NOT correct. Unless the flyer specifically limits the amount of air miles, you can earn multiple miles when purchasing multiple offers. She was very surprised to find me questioning this. I told her an AM rep was claiming this was a new policy from Sobey's. She took my name & number so she can speak with the marketing manager and get back to me.

Last edited:
My new L+G is 30 for $30, 60 for $50, or 100 for $70. PLUS a seperate 60 for $30. I'm tempted by that one but I just spent $41 yesterday for 120.
If you look closely you'll see that the first offer says "No Loading Required" because that's the offer that's in the flyer. The other one is your targeted offer that you do need to load to your card and that is the ONLY offer i have this time.

Just spent far too much time in an on-line chat with Airmiles and all i can say is if you get connected with Mohammad DISCONNECT!! He has zero idea what he is doing, is so obviously ESL (which i have zero problem with but was so clearly part of the problem) This was my first clue that i was NOT going to get anywhere with him -- his response to me saying i have no loaded offers this week
"Tell me one thing, how you have been load the offers from?"

Then he proceeded to tell me that he could see i had earned miles yesterday and then tried to argue with me over the whole "once & done" process because he simply wasn't understanding that i'm looking for NEW offers. I don't think he ever grasped the what i was asking and before i just gave up and ended the chat this was his solution:

mohammad: It will be available soon, there are no offers right now.So I would recommend you to verify the website again later. I have checked it out and I can see that there is nothing wrong on the micro website to load the offers. My recommendation is to clear the cache and cookies from your device.

URGH! I'll take some time later (after my BP has settled!) to see if i can get a better answer as to how i can get my offers to start up again.

I was going to say no way. You get multiple air miles when you purchase multiples of the offer. However, I'm on chat with Pam and she's trying to tell me this is NEW and it's 1 offer PER CARD PER DAY from now on. I'm still on chat. I asked her to check with someone else and she said she's going to review the information they were sent.

Now she says it's not up to Air Miles but Sobey's makes that decision.

Well, I'm suppose to be heading to Sobey's today or tomorrow. They'll get a headache from me if it's really 1 offer per card per day now. I'll be asking to see the fine print for every offer in the flyer that says that. If they flat out refuse to honor the air miles, then they will have to ring in returns for foods. I don't know if they throw out the returned (or changed my mind at the cashier) food like Wal-mart does, but if they do - this will be a big hassle for them.

UPDATE: I just got off the phone with Sobey's customer service number. The lady I spoke with there said this is NOT correct. Unless the flyer specifically limits the amount of air miles, you can earn multiple miles when purchasing multiple offers. She was very surprised to find me questioning this. I told her an AM rep was claiming this was a new policy from Sobey's. She took my name & number so she can speak with the marketing manager and get back to me.

One offer per card per day isn't valid either. I purchased two Laura Secord chocolate and hazelnut spreads. I think they were $4.99 and I got 25AM for purchasing 1 (the wording of the offer). Both posted on my receipt = 50AM

My original comments/venting was just to make others aware this may happen and that you may experience some pushback when trying to claim your AM. (might just be the CS rep at the store I shopped at not wanting to be helpful) Like I said I doubt its a new Sobeys policy as I purchased two cakes at Foodland last week no issues. (same corporate structure)

Its not AM, Its the individual store. My shell just asks how many kids I have. The Sobeys is stingy, if my total is $58 they will only give me 1 since its one per $30.
Each store and cashier is different.
I am sorry never heard what you were collecting them for, but I guess the others in the line did.:headache:

Speaking of AM sucking,,,,, They have the CN Tower edgewalk on there now. 2800AM or 1000AM +$150. The regular price is only $225+hst.
Hmm AM is more expensive. Figure that out.

So just back from Sobeys and a heads up - the bonus 50 miles is only on 3 of the cakes not all of them. I did see the sign was only under the Snickers, Black Forest and I think a plain white cake but I asked the Bakery staff and she said it was on any 7.99 cake. When I checked out I noticed that I didn't get the air miles so the Head Cashier came over and said it was only on selected cakes. :furious: I said but I asked and was told it was on any of them so she gave me the air miles then phoned the bakery department to tell them that it was only on the cakes with the signs on them. She was going to fight me but I stood my ground and said but I asked so she gave in. I guess if she had fought me more I would have returned the strawberry cake and bought the black forest cake.

Air Miles figures most people don't do the math, and unfortantly most likely correct. Many people will think that's a good deal. :(

Just a heads up to Foodland shoppers. I just came back from the closest Sobeys/Foodland from me which is a 50 minutes drive from Mtl at Vankleek Hill, ON and they had Bonne Maman jam on sale at 4.19$ with 25AM if you buy 1 (choice of strawberry, raspberry, blueberry, apricot, marmelade and salted caramel). First I bought 3 then when I was in the car I decided to go back and get 6 more! That's an easy 225AM and we really like this jam so it's a win in my book.

I had to go to Foodland to charge my 100$ in grocery to my Amex before the end of the month because none of my local grocery stores (including IGA) accept Amex. In total, my 50 minutes drive x2 got me 781 AM if I include the Amex 400AM in my total. Not bad since I only spent 220$ and that includes a 50$ iTunes GC for 60 AM.

Barrhaven Sobeys has the Mars Halloween candy boxes with $1 off and $2 off coupon stickers on them! FYI. So 75AM for $17.98 for me :)

Spent just over $100 and got 170AM today. Feels much better than the 14AM I got last week! :(

So just back from Sobeys and a heads up - the bonus 50 miles is only on 3 of the cakes not all of them. I did see the sign was only under the Snickers, Black Forest and I think a plain white cake but I asked the Bakery staff and she said it was on any 7.99 cake. When I checked out I noticed that I didn't get the air miles so the Head Cashier came over and said it was only on selected cakes. :furious: I said but I asked and was told it was on any of them so she gave me the air miles then phoned the bakery department to tell them that it was only on the cakes with the signs on them. She was going to fight me but I stood my ground and said but I asked so she gave in. I guess if she had fought me more I would have returned the strawberry cake and bought the black forest cake.

I also asked the bakery dept if the two cakes I had chosen were included in the deal. Glad you stuck your ground. I hate it when stores play games (that's our job, in the airmiles hunt that is).

Just back from The Bay. They have the worst return policy out there. Long story short make sure you know the return policy of a store before buying anything. It may work out for DS girlfriend as the item she bought is on sale this week and that will take a little of the sting out of it if they are able to price match the item with the sale flyer.

There must be something in the air today. Not been an easy day.

I also asked the bakery dept if the two cakes I had chosen were included in the deal. Glad you stuck your ground. I hate it when stores play games (that's our job, in the airmiles hunt that is).

Just back from The Bay. They have the worst return policy out there. Long story short make sure you know the return policy of a store before buying anything. It may work out for DS girlfriend as the item she bought is on sale this week and that will take a little of the sting out of it if they are able to price match the item with the sale flyer.

There must be something in the air today. Not been an easy day.
Not sure what happened at The Bay but the policy is very liberal. Perhaps you got a person that didn't know what they were doing. They call it The Bay Blanket Policy....covers almost everything for 90 days, no questions asked type deal. They will price adjust for sales after purchase, even online, and if a second sale pops up they will do a return, repurchase.

Not sure what happened at The Bay but the policy is very liberal. Perhaps you got a person that didn't know what they were doing. They call it The Bay Blanket Policy....covers almost everything for 90 days, no questions asked type deal. They will price adjust for sales after purchase, even online, and if a second sale pops up they will do a return, repurchase.

I think the 90 days is only if you used a Bay credit card for your purchase.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!