Airmiles Armchair Chatter

Ugh I totally sympathize. My husband had his sin # stolen. Someone actually ordered a cellphone with it and we got the bill - lots of overseas calls, lol, we had that one reversed. (who opens a cellphone account with a SIN card???) But the kicker - someone submitted an income tax return as him, got a cheque from the government and cashed it. This prevented my husband from submitting his own return, that's how we found out - "we have already received a return for you..." what?!? So they put a block on his online return submissions, he had to submit paper taxes for years and submit all sorts of identify proof each time, all his credit applications they had to personally call to make sure it was him, etc. Well, the NEXT year, AGAIN with the taxes. So much for that flag and not letting someone else submit through the hoops, geez.

I shopped at Rexall and Sobey's this morning. When my card payment went through and the cash receipt was printed, I was given a "5 cents of per litre" at Shell coupon AND a "GEt 100 Bonus Miles on your next ship between September 27-30, 018 when you spend $100 or more in a single tansaction and present this coupon" coupon.

I have never seen those before. The Cashier and Customer Service said they were new. Said there were 3 different offers and targeted on your spending.

I had to visit Customer Service to manually get 10 air miles and received ANOTHER of these spend $100 get 100 miles coupon along with the manual 10 air miles receipt.

Rexall = $50.85 and received 139 miles (added in the base miles I forgot about.. lol)
Sobeys = $101.04 and received 120 miles

Last edited:
Rexall today, 151 airmiles and a piece of cake :) (morning snack shared with coffee and husband), spent $27+ and taxes. Didn't wait until Monday as I wanted the Tylenol, they were out of the Rapid Release which is what I wanted, manager said this week's shipment is late but coming so perhaps I'll go back Sunday, likely not. But I may do a second run on Monday with load and go.

Also went to Sobeys, $4 5am, extra receipt was "Save $5 wus $50 Sept 27-30".

Sobeys for me, spent $130, got 151 AM and my coupon is spend $75 get 75 AM, which is good for me, that's about my normal weekly budget. Rexall will wait for Monday.

Ended up having to cancel my TSC order for a laptop, it was going to take a month to get to me and no way am I fighting with the broken one for that long. Funny thing is I already got the ebates money. So I assume I will lose that but I have to admit, the speed was pretty amazing.

Still playing the holiday planning game (not sure if i'm ever gonna win :P ) and on the Westjet site something popped up .. curious if this bugs anyone else as much as me:rolleyes1 (wow, huge image sorry)
View attachment 352167

Totally noticed this as well. It's been there for awhile...you would think they would have fixed it. It drives me nuts!

But they are offering the tickets cheaper with a package than you can get directly from Disney with the Canadian Resident discount, which is a surprising bonus!

Well, well, well-thanks to all of you I finally had a successful Rexall shop!

GOt some vitamins, got the Dove shampoo, some deodorant, the eggs that were on sale and some milk.

The best was the suggestion from @hdrolfe - to get travel sized items. They had little version of my daughters favorite OGX shampoo! so I am going to actually buy her a travel toiletries case and fill it for the big roommate trip happening in Feb!

I got my 114 bonus miles and I practically skipped out the door!

Thanks again for all your ideas folks, it really helped.

You can get an alert attached to any of your accounts -- hubby gets an email when anything over $100 happens on any of our cards and our bank account. MC even froze our cards after mine was used to pay for a (get this) $25,000 ski trip to Switzerland and a $500 worth of dog food (that must be some big dog!) within 15 minutes. Deep breathing is made for days like this -- as is big comfy jammies and some serious junk tv!
I never knew I can set up alerts. I'll have to phone RBC to check how to do this.
I have alerts on from each bank we deal with - credit cards (I'm on DDs in Cairo, so I know every time she Ubers or buys online, withdrawals (I have recorded them in Quicken before my husband comes home to tell me), deposits, automatic withdrawals, when the account goes below $1000 etc. I really like to be on top of my banking.

Mel, I'm so sorry that this is happening to you. It's bad enough that your cc was used, but to think that someone was waiting near your house....scary!

Ottawa is a mess! I live out in kanata and we got a good hail and rain storm but no real damage. But power out. But other areas are heavily damaged. I think power will be off for a while.

Ottawa is a mess! I live out in kanata and we got a good hail and rain storm but no real damage. But power out. But other areas are heavily damaged. I think power will be off for a while.
Thanks for letting me know,,be safe Hon and Know we are thinking about you guys.
Hoping your power is restored soon.
Hugs Mel

@bababear_50 I think it is one thing to have your card compromised but another all together to have someone come to your street and wait for a package. Mel, I am so sorry this is happening to you and your family. That is so bold. We have had our cars broken into a couple of times and I remember feeling so uneasy afterwards. Good thing your postal person realized what happened and told you. We have also had our cards compromised while travelling and we now have alerts set and low limits. Eventually everything will be back to normal for you but in the mean time - HUGS coming at ya!!!!

View attachment 352796

You all know how to brighten a girls day,,thank-you everyone for your kind thoughts and well wishes.
Hugs Mel

HOLY CRAP -- just now checking what i've missed today and saw the pictures of the devastation caused by the storms in the Ottawa area and I had to pop in and check on my peeps! I hope everyone is safe & sound!

Real reason i picked up the surface was to report on my trip to Rexall. I had hubby take me to one here after he picked me up at the train station and we made out like bandits! Wandered around aimlessly trying to get to the $50 mark and almost gave up -- just couldn't get there until hubby took over and filled the cart with junk food :eek: Got to the till and the cashier was amazing! We chatted as everything was rung thru with me staring intently at the screen to make sure i was making my threshold and when she scanned the Tylenol i asked if it rang up at $9.99 she winked and asked if we had room to store more than 1 bottle. I must have looked dumber than normal because she slowly asked "do you want 4 bottles?" ME: "no, i don't need to have $40 tied up in pain killers" She winked and said watch this.. scanned the bottle 3 more times and POOF each bottle cost $3.00. She said there's been a glitch in the system today and for some strange reason if you buy 4 bottles the total cost is $12. Buy anything less and they scanned at $9.99 each

SO we have 4 bottles of tylenol, 6 bags of chips (one type only came up as .59 since that store isn't carrying it anymore), 3 bags of chocolate clusters, 2 cans of cashews, 2 bags of chocolate covered sponge toffee - sensing a theme here? Hubby loves him some chocolate and chips and we LOVE the Nosh & Co stuff. Tossed in some kleenex for the perpetual runny noses and poof we're done. We got the 10 AM for the Nosh & Co stuff TWICE
Spent $62.67 pre-tax , used the $5.00 survey coupon and snagged 140 AM

AND if anyone has a headache you know where to come :P

Last edited:
That's a good recall trip!

Still no power here. Apparently there are 250000 people in the ottawa area without it. Pictures are pretty scary. I think I read 200 hydro poles are down or something like that. Hopefully it's back soon or i can find somewhere that sells coffee and has power. And something for the kid to do because he is driving me nuts. Any way. Hope everyone is ok!

Kanata here as well. Nothing crazy but we’ve been home without power since 6pm yesterday. Just found my portable phone charger and luckily it was fully charged so that’s why I’m even on here. Scary to not have power but we are mainly just bored. No damage or anything crazy to us luckily.

No eta on the Hydro Ottawa site for when we will have power.

I actually stopped into Rexall on my way home (I change buses right near one on my way home) and got a piece of cake too! I didn’t spend $50+ thorough I just grabbed the 2 things I really needed - 200ct Rexall extra strength acetomtaphen and facial cleanser! Both were on sale with really good prices. Wonder if Rexall really is committed to better prices moving forwards!

Hugs to those without power,,yep the thing I missed the most was a hot cup of coffee.

For kids
copied from 100 things to do with kids during a Power Outage
Blog
https://rochester.kidsoutandabout.com/content/100-things-do-kids-during-power-outage

1. Read

2. Make up stories

3. Mad Libs

4. Write a book

5. Play dolls

6. Play school

7. Paint our toenails

8. Paint our brother's toenails ;)

9. Make puppets

10. Have a "Bear Hunt"​

11. Play cards

12. Read books outloud

13. Play hide and seek

14. Play Hucklebucklebeanstalk

15. Have a scavenger hunt

16. Hide something sweet and create a "treasure" map for the kids to solve

17. Learn Morse Code

18. Invent your own code

19. Paint family portraits

20. Build a house of cards

21. Learn the state capitals​

22. Make the flags of the world out of construction paper

23. Rearrange your bedroom

24. Have an indoor camping trip - complete with tent!

25. Make a television out of a big box and put on shows

26. Make musical instruments out of stuff in your house

27. Learn some yoga poses

28. Make paper snowflakes

29. Take lots of pictures

30. Play balloon volleyball

32. Clean out your closets/dressers

33. Make up jokes

34. Play Tic-Tac-Toe

35. Look at old photos

36. Make a Family Tree​

37. Plan a party

38. Have a puppet show

39. Play school

40. Make a paper chain

41. Make Gratitude lists

42. Play charades

43. Invent a card game

44. Learn a few magic tricks

45. Using stuff around your house, set up an indoor bowling lane

46. Play hangman

47. Make paper airplanes

48. Make a tooth fairy pillow by hand​

49. Make holiday or birthday wrapping paper with stamps

50. Count all the loose change you can find

51. Speak only in pig latin

52. Thumb wrestle

53. Put those music lessons to good use and put on a concert

54. Plan a vacation

55. Learn about nautical flags

56. Learn the parts of a sailboat

57. Make jewelry

58. Build a model car/plane

59. Play with your pets

60. Imaginary Wii/X-Box

61. Play dress up

62. Make pet toys

63. Teach your kids how to play black jack (what? It's good for math skills!)

64. Play the silent game

65. Have staring contests

66. Learn how to do yo-yo tricks

67. Make paper dolls

68. Play superheroes​

69. Build with legos

70. Check in on your neighbors

71. Make shadow puppets

72. Have a tea party

73. Play Simon Says

74. Write letters

75. Color

76. Use flashlights to create profile shadows that you can turn into Silhouettes

77. Talk with an accent

78. Write on the backs of photographs

79. Play store

80. Put on a play

81. Make a stuffed-animal zoo

82. Polish the silver

83. Sew buttons onto scrap fabric

84. Fix something around the house (squeaky hinges, loose cabinet knobs, add hooks)

85. Make your own Mad Libs

86. Do a puzzle

87. Use masking or packing tape to play hopscotch on the floor

88. Make beads out of rolled up paper

89. Make up poems and limericks

90. Match up your socks, ball them up, and have a sock fight

91. Make and decorate paper crowns

92. Make carnival games from stuff around your house

93. Make your own dominoes and teach your kids how to play

94. Teach your kids how to play solitaire

95. Make your own playing cards

96. Make your own Bingo game

97. Go on a "ghost hunt"

98. Learn how to tie cool knots

99. Learn how to knit or crochet together

100. Begin each sentence with "I LOVE YOU!"

Hugs to you and stay safe.
Mel

Last edited:
I was going to go to Rexall today when we are driving by, but decided that I want to change my miles to cash so that I have some when Shop the Block comes around. That change won't happen until tomorrow, so I shall wait. With the LnG for 25 Airmiles for $25 on Monday, I'm going to wait another day, now. I have my list in hand, and it should be a good one, I think, and worth the trip back into the city.
I hadn't realized that there had been a tornado in Ottawa/Gatineau until my sister posted that my nephew and his wife were okay. YIKES! Fingers crossed that all will be back to normal-especially the hydro-soon. I remember in the summer when it took a few days north of London for hydro to be repaired. Not fun at all. :worried:

I was going to go to Rexall today when we are driving by, but decided that I want to change my miles to cash so that I have some when Shop the Block comes around. That change won't happen until tomorrow, so I shall wait. With the LnG for 25 Airmiles for $25 on Monday, I'm going to wait another day, now. I have my list in hand, and it should be a good one, I think, and worth the trip back into the city.

Will the 114 AM for $50 and 25AM for $25 stack? That might make a trip to Guelph or Waterloo worth it. Our only local Rexall is a pharmacy only, so not really worth trying for $50 worth of items.

Will the 114 AM for $50 and 25AM for $25 stack? That might make a trip to Guelph or Waterloo worth it. Our only local Rexall is a pharmacy only, so not really worth trying for $50 worth of items.
YUP! LnG offers stack with offers in the flyer and will even show up on your receipt so you can check before you leave the store. I can tell you which Rexall in Guelph is the best to hit up for AM support (and the one to avoid :P ) All 3 are really good at making sure I get what i deserve but the one downtown has a few things that irk me -- low stock, can't stack the $5.00 survey coupon & it's hard to get to!

Nice day for a drive !

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter