Airmiles...the parks...so disappointed!!

mulanrouge

Mouseketeer
I am so disappointed with airmiles and the parks!! I have been going to disney and universal with my airmiles points for years!! I can't get over how much they have increased the points required for park tickets and the restrictions they have put on them!! I used to be able to get a 3 day pass for 1800 points! Now I can only get a 5 day base ticket to disney for over 4000 points!! Its ridiculous!! And I just went on airmiles to get a 2 park 2 day universal ticket (not available now)....and they only offer a 3 park pass for over 3400 airmiles!! Seriously??!!! I should say that i'm on onyx airmiles collector...but they are starting to price the miles out of the market in my opinion! I'm so angry right now! I know they had specials for canadians last year. We are going in March 2018...does anyone think they will have the specials come up again? I was going to order the tickets this fall but am debating if I should wait for possible "specials" or "deals" for Canadians possibley coming up in the next couple of months. Thoughts?

I'm afraid the specials depend on whether the parks themselves have special offers. The Disney "special pricing" air miles tickets was only because Disney themselves offered Canadian residents a special discount price. Once Disney ended it, Air Miles only continued to offer the tickets until their supply of tickets ran out.

Same with the Universal Studios tickets. Right now the park is offering a "get 2 days free when you buy a 3-park 2-day park-to-park ticket", so that's what Air Miles is offering.

I really wish Air Miles had not upped the price of the regular Disney tickets as much as they did when they brought them back. I hope that doesn't happen when they bring back the regular 2-day 2 park-to-park Universal Studio tickets. I'm waiting to purchase those as well. The restrictions on the "2 days free" (use by May 17, 2018) mean our family won't be able to use them. But the restriction is not from Air Miles, that comes from Universal Studios.

The AM required for WDW tickets now is pretty close to what the actual dollar amount would be if you paid OOP. Yes, it's a lot of miles per ticket but everything goes up in price. IMO, a free ticket is a free ticket regardless of how many miles it requires. You accumulate miles for the things you need to buy everyday any how.

I've been an AM collector since day one and have not paid for WDW tickets for over 10 years now. We have been going to the parks at least once a year but often 2-3 times per year which would not be possible without AM.

The AM required for WDW tickets now is pretty close to what the actual dollar amount would be if you paid OOP. Yes, it's a lot of miles per ticket but everything goes up in price. IMO, a free ticket is a free ticket regardless of how many miles it requires. You accumulate miles for the things you need to buy everyday any how.

I've been an AM collector since day one and have not paid for WDW tickets for over 10 years now. We have been going to the parks at least once a year but often 2-3 times per year which would not be possible without AM.
Yes I have been the same way. I usually go at least once a year but sometimes twice a year and have never had to buy WDW tickets. This is why I am finding it so disappointing that they have upped the amount of airmiles now. Lets be honest...lol....I collect the airmiles for WDW tickets only!!

Yes I have been the same way. I usually go at least once a year but sometimes twice a year and have never had to buy WDW tickets. This is why I am finding it so disappointing that they have upped the amount of airmiles now. Lets be honest...lol....I collect the airmiles for WDW tickets only!!
Same here...I use my miles for almost nothing other than WDW. I'm not the least bit disappointed in the increase. I expected it. The required miles had very little fluctuation for years so it eventually had to happen. It just means you have to shop smarter and put a little extra effort into collecting. I've increased my collecting from 7000ish per year to currently sitting at over 13000 and will have 15000 by mid October.

I know it is amazing how much everything is going up, not just WDW tickets but everything. Pet peeve, price on something stays the same, but the package size decreases. Went to make this pasta casserole yesterday and in the past 1/2 package made enough for dinner plus 1 left over meal, found out after the 1/2 package was cooked the package had gone from 1kg to 1/2 kg, no leftovers now

Not sure if it is just me, but I have been able to earn way more Air Miles this year so that helps. The Shop the block Promo, Soar into more and booking hotels through the Travel hub have helped me earn close to 10,000 Airmiles and in past years if I could earn 3,000 I was doing well. Glad I got my tickets when the Canadian deal was still available in June.

I think its crazy too - the value of Disney tickets is now equivalent to cash miles - meaning I might as well collect the more flexible cash miles as I will get the same value in redemption. Using Dream miles for WdW tickets used to be an ok redemption value - but now I am questioning it and will possibly start using my air miles for something else with a better redemption value.

Ok just wondering about a couple things. I am an air miles collector and work at a grocery store so I can get all the good air mile deals easily. For example today i bought 10 $150 gift cards, putting five on each my and Dh credit card to earn a total of 1500 air miles. We can easily use the gift cards over the next couple months buying regular groceries. We get all cash miles so that is equivalent to $150 in free groceries.

To me it seems like it makes for sense to get the cash miles since if I instead collected reward miles I wouldn't have the flexibility in choosing my tickets. Sometimes I only want a four day, or a three day hopper plus water park. Am I missing something here? Does it really save any extra money getting reward points vs cash points when it comes to Disney tickets?

Ok just wondering about a couple things. I am an air miles collector and work at a grocery store so I can get all the good air mile deals easily. For example today i bought 10 $150 gift cards, putting five on each my and Dh credit card to earn a total of 1500 air miles. We can easily use the gift cards over the next couple months buying regular groceries. We get all cash miles so that is equivalent to $150 in free groceries.

To me it seems like it makes for sense to get the cash miles since if I instead collected reward miles I wouldn't have the flexibility in choosing my tickets. Sometimes I only want a four day, or a three day hopper plus water park. Am I missing something here? Does it really save any extra money getting reward points vs cash points when it comes to Disney tickets?
Right now there is no option to buy park tickets using cash miles. The only way you can do it is to use the miles for groceries and then take the cash equivalent from your bank account and stash it someplace else to later pay for park tickets. Basically the same in the end it just requires an extra step or two.

Right now there is no option to buy park tickets using cash miles. The only way you can do it is to use the miles for groceries and then take the cash equivalent from your bank account and stash it someplace else to later pay for park tickets. Basically the same in the end it just requires an extra step or two.

I know - but it does give me more flexibility so I'm not "stuck" saving up 4k in air miles for each Disney ticket kwim? Cash is still king - even if I do love playing the miles and points game.

I'm just sad - usually redeeming for "stuff" is a better redemption value than trading for "cash". With this new valuation, it really isn't working out that way. I'm still reluctant to switch to cash miles (bit of a mind block lol) but I might just redeem for some flight tickets and bow out of the air miles game. Now that my air miles are so "devalued" (in relation to Disney tickets), it's not worth quite as much of my effort, kwim? I used to collect a lot of Shoppers points and DH is campaigning for focusing more on PC points.

I realize this but was just wondering if there was an extra benefit to saving reward miles instead of cash miles. For example I earned 1500 cash miles today or $150. Now if those 1500 points went towards a Disney ticket would it be worth more then $150 or the same because if it's just the same I might as well just collect cash miles and just buy the tickets I want without using reward points. I hope I'm not being g too confusing!

I know - but it does give me more flexibility so I'm not "stuck" saving up 4k in air miles for each Disney ticket kwim? Cash is still king - even if I do love playing the miles and points game.

I'm just sad - usually redeeming for "stuff" is a better redemption value than trading for "cash". With this new valuation, it really isn't working out that way. I'm still reluctant to switch to cash miles (bit of a mind block lol) but I might just redeem for some flight tickets and bow out of the air miles game. Now that my air miles are so "devalued" (in relation to Disney tickets), it's not worth quite as much of my effort, kwim? I used to collect a lot of Shoppers points and DH is campaigning for focusing more on PC points.
yes this is what I meant, it doesn't seem worth it to switch from cash to reward miles

I realize this but was just wondering if there was an extra benefit to saving reward miles instead of cash miles. For example I earned 1500 cash miles today or $150. Now if those 1500 points went towards a Disney ticket would it be worth more then $150 or the same because if it's just the same I might as well just collect cash miles and just buy the tickets I want without using reward points. I hope I'm not being g too confusing!

yes this is what I meant, it doesn't seem worth it to switch from cash to reward miles

At this point it's worth about $150 towards the (full price) Disney ticket.

It used to be a good redemption value and using dream miles was worth it. With the current valuation for Disney tickets, I'd personally have more flexibility redeeming for groceries and using the grocery money for Disney tickets. This way I could buy discounted Disney tickets or book a Disney package like a free dining discount and come out way ahead.

DH is campaigning for focusing more on PC points

I collect both AM and the PC points. I live in a smaller city in northern Alberta...there is a limited # of places to collect good AM. Safeway being my main one. So when Safeway does not have a good deal on AM ( like spend 100.00 get 100 AM or a Blue Friday special ) I will shop at Stupidstore. I have a No frills just down the road from me, which is great. I have this year already gotten 200.00 off my groceries and close to another 100.00. Instead of taking the free groceries, I will either purchase a visa gift card on my next purchase or get the 100.00 back as cash. I then keep that cash or gift cards to use towards either Disney or Universal or Disney tickets. I like that you can get extra PC points for fuel too. I just used one this past weekend and got an extra 5000 points for spending 40.00 on Fuel. I like that they PC points are on things that you purchase regularly. I notice that when you shop more there...the amount of points you get can dwindle...but I have been shopping at Safeway more the past month...and off of a sudden the points jumped up again. So I will probably shop at NO frills again just for points. And honestly...there are items that Safeway NEVER has a good price on, and I will always get them at NO Frills/Stupidstore.

I collect both AM and the PC points. I live in a smaller city in northern Alberta...there is a limited # of places to collect good AM. Safeway being my main one. So when Safeway does not have a good deal on AM ( like spend 100.00 get 100 AM or a Blue Friday special ) I will shop at Stupidstore. I have a No frills just down the road from me, which is great. I have this year already gotten 200.00 off my groceries and close to another 100.00. Instead of taking the free groceries, I will either purchase a visa gift card on my next purchase or get the 100.00 back as cash. I then keep that cash or gift cards to use towards either Disney or Universal or Disney tickets. I like that you can get extra PC points for fuel too. I just used one this past weekend and got an extra 5000 points for spending 40.00 on Fuel. I like that they PC points are on things that you purchase regularly. I notice that when you shop more there...the amount of points you get can dwindle...but I have been shopping at Safeway more the past month...and off of a sudden the points jumped up again. So I will probably shop at NO frills again just for points. And honestly...there are items that Safeway NEVER has a good price on, and I will always get them at NO Frills/Stupidstore.
Funny that you call in Stupidstore. My DD is a RCSS manager and we also call it Stupidstore as do most of her colleagues. I thought is was a staff thing.

My DD is a RCSS manager and we also call it Stupidstore as do most of her colleagues

I used to work there as well. I started working in the deli as just an associate and then moved to Manage the bakery for 4 years. I'm no longer there and don't look back fondly at those days of working there. My experience was not great as there was bad management there who were actually finally walked out the doors after I left. I have moved on and found a job where I'm working 8-4:30 Mon- Fri and can have any time off I need to deal with family situations that arise...unlike when I was at Stupidstore. I still very rarely even shop there. I just can't stomach the energy there. I do most of my shopping at NO Frills. Our Superstore has gone downhill the past year and the things I want to get they seem to be out of which is super frustrating.

Now that my air miles are so "devalued" (in relation to Disney tickets), it's not worth quite as much of my effort, kwim? I used to collect a lot of Shoppers points and DH is campaigning for focusing more on PC points.
Yeah this is kind of the problem our household has as well.

Shoppers points either mean actual $$$ off my bill, or points that we use to upgrade our gaming consoles every few years. When DD was born we racked up a TON of Shoppers points ; we still maintain a high balance due to the many years of diapers and formula and wipes LOL So we keep track of the emails that tell you when the best redemption day is, and go nuts on stocking up.

But PC points also come right off your bill too... so saving real, actual dollars is sometimes more meaningful than AirMiles points earned.

P.S. My family also calls it, "Stupidstore" so I don't know if it's exclusively a staff thing. We know nobody who works for them!

It really is a loyalty thing. :( There are ways to save at the other shops, too, if you play their loyalty reward game. That's just how it works. Believe me if I could convert Shoppers points into AM at 1:1, I wouldn't be on this board talking about earning AM... I would probably BE at WDW!

I think its crazy too - the value of Disney tickets is now equivalent to cash miles - meaning I might as well collect the more flexible cash miles as I will get the same value in redemption. Using Dream miles for WdW tickets used to be an ok redemption value - but now I am questioning it and will possibly start using my air miles for something else with a better redemption value.

Actually, depending on your specific exchange rate, cash miles are actually a shade better than WDW ticket redemptions (ticket prices from Undercover Tourist):

Cash: $10 / 95 = 10.53 cents / mile
WDW 5-day base ticket: $377 US / 4695 * 1.25 (current spot rate) = 10.03 cents / mile
WDW 7-day base ticket: $422 US / 5200 * 1.25 = 10.15 cents / mile

WDW ticket value gets a little better if you assume a forex markup on the exchange, but then it also gets a little worse if the exchange rate improves. It's not much (at this exchange rate it amounts to ~ $15 on the 7-day ticket), but when you consider that paying cash allows the flexibility to buy exactly what you want (eg. hoppers, or different length tickets), and also allows you to take advantage of sales or special offers that do come up at places like Undercover Tourist from time to time... yeah, it would be nice if the redemption value was at least somewhat better than cash.

It's not a complaint, just an objective analysis of relative value. I do think it's good to be aware of what we are getting for our miles (or not getting, in this instance).

Actually, depending on your specific exchange rate, cash miles are actually a shade better than WDW ticket redemptions (ticket prices from Undercover Tourist):

Cash: $10 / 95 = 10.53 cents / mile
WDW 5-day base ticket: $377 US / 4695 * 1.25 (current spot rate) = 10.03 cents / mile
WDW 7-day base ticket: $422 US / 5200 * 1.25 = 10.15 cents / mile

WDW ticket value gets a little better if you assume a forex markup on the exchange, but then it also gets a little worse if the exchange rate improves. It's not much (at this exchange rate it amounts to ~ $15 on the 7-day ticket), but when you consider that paying cash allows the flexibility to buy exactly what you want (eg. hoppers, or different length tickets), and also allows you to take advantage of sales or special offers that do come up at places like Undercover Tourist from time to time... yeah, it would be nice if the redemption value was at least somewhat better than cash.

It's not a complaint, just an objective analysis of relative value. I do think it's good to be aware of what we are getting for our miles (or not getting, in this instance).

Love the analysis and I totally agree. I was well on my way to regaining my loyalty towards Air Miles but with this new redemption, I have reduced the time and money spent on Air Miles drastically. There just isn't many other dream rewards that I am interested in. I like flights and hotels but so far haven't really felt like the redemptions are worth it.

For me...I guess it boils down to the fact that I can get points on things I'm going to purchase anyways and NOT have to pay the $$$ for tickets into the parks. That is a huge savings for me. Then I can focus on saving my pennies for flights, hotels, food, souvenirs. I'm trying to plan our first family trip to Disney World and Universal since my daughter and I got to experience one day at both Disney and Universal last year when we were a little mother daughter trip. We are a very active family that spend a great deal of $$$ on ATV's snow machines and the activities that those involve. So I play a game with myself to try to maximize my points and AM plus keep within my budgets for spending. I'm a determined momma who wants her family to experience the Disney Magic pixiedust:

I've run the numbers twenty seven different ways....Disney math is always fun. :laughing: Pretty much the free tickets are just as good as using the same amount of points for cash and putting that towards a free dining or stay, play and dine package - for us anyways. In fact, I think we come out ahead more with the free tickets because we never eat that way anyways and would not spend that much $$ on food, especially with dd being a vegetarian. We don't do hoppers, so that's an extra expense FD adds on now. I find having the tickets provides way more flexibility in where you stay, when you go, what room only deals you get, whether onsite or off or through Disney or an agent with magical deals, or renting DVC points.

We're already seeing less discounts from Disney and I think as Toy Story and Star Wars Lands are finished they'll become even more scarce.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!