Airport Safety Question

BeckyEsq

Mouseketeer.
This question is different for me now that I am a single parent and will be navigating the airport without another adult so I thought I'd ask it here. I live only a few minutes from our home airport, so can easily get a ride from a family member for our departure. We'll be arriving home in the middle of the night though. So which would you do: 1) drive your car, park it in extended stay, and then walk to your car with 8 year old daughter at 1 am to drive home, or 2) get a ride to the airport, then go home via Uber/Lyft/Cab? DD is still in a booster seat in my car and ride is only about 10 minutes from airport. I'm trying to weigh the risks in both (overprotective parent here). Thanks for any helpful opinions.

Hi Becky!

I would Uber/Lyft/get a ride to the airport and then when I returned, I would Uber/Lyft/cab back home. Landing in the middle of the night is what gives me pause re: driving myself back.

Honestly I'd just ask a family member of friend.
We have given rides to people in the middle of the night and have received them.

Otherwise I'd just do uber/lyft/cab.

Does your child actually NEED to be in a booster?

Honestly I'd just ask a family member of friend.
We have given rides to people in the middle of the night and have received them.

Otherwise I'd just do uber/lyft/cab.

Does your child actually NEED to be in a booster?

There's no one who will do that for us unfortunately. No, she doesn't technically need one by law since she's 8. I just feel safer that way.

Any opinions on which is better Uber or Lyft? I've never used either! Just want to make sure it's a safe driver especially considering the middle of the night on a weekend.

Is your home airport big enough that your car is going to be in a well lit area? Is your home airport big enough that there will be Uber/Lyft readily available in the middle of the night (check tonight for an example). If you are contemplating walking across the parking lot alone would you be comfortable using Uber? Is there valet parking at the airport? Can you plan our your parking in advance to maybe be in the "back" of the lot, but making your car all alone but near a stop? Could you pay for offsite parking at like a park and fly where someone would be with you until nearly your car door?

Just some ideas. I have a 7yo daughter and have talked to my husband about a trip for the two of us. He would be driving us to airport and back but I did consider how I would feel at the resort with her alone. I'm okay with the logistics and we go every year so I understand the ins and outs, but just the concern of feeling like an easy target while on property in general.

Is your home airport big enough that your car is going to be in a well lit area? Is your home airport big enough that there will be Uber/Lyft readily available in the middle of the night (check tonight for an example). If you are contemplating walking across the parking lot alone would you be comfortable using Uber? Is there valet parking at the airport? Can you plan our your parking in advance to maybe be in the "back" of the lot, but making your car all alone but near a stop? Could you pay for offsite parking at like a park and fly where someone would be with you until nearly your car door?

Just some ideas. I have a 7yo daughter and have talked to my husband about a trip for the two of us. He would be driving us to airport and back but I did consider how I would feel at the resort with her alone. I'm okay with the logistics and we go every year so I understand the ins and outs, but just the concern of feeling like an easy target while on property in general.

It's fairly well lit yes, and I'm told Uber/Lyft is readily available. I'm not completely comfortable with either scenario actually, that is why I'm looking for advice to talk myself in to one or the other.

The Park and Fly is not a bad idea, I will look into that. I have avoided them in the past because of the lack of booster seat / seatbelt but she is bigger now. She's 4 foot 5 so technically should still have a booster until 4 foot 9.

ETA: I'm not worried about being at WDW alone at all. Not about safety anyway -- just maybe I might need a mental break at some point. lol

It's fairly well lit yes, and I'm told Uber/Lyft is readily available. I'm not completely comfortable with either scenario actually, that is why I'm looking for advice to talk myself in to one or the other.

The Park and Fly is not a bad idea, I will look into that. I have avoided them in the past because of the lack of booster seat / seatbelt but she is bigger now. She's 4 foot 5 so technically should still have a booster until 4 foot 9.

ETA: I'm not worried about being at WDW alone at all. Not about safety anyway -- just maybe I might need a mental break at some point. lol

I'll ask the obvious question, why the middle of the night flight? Maybe if there's no other option than an alternative trip is an option. I think the chance of anything happening in any situation is ~0% and if the park and fly will keep your heart rate the lowest - go with that.

I've left a county music concert in a moderately sized city into a parking deck when my daughter was 6 - having to make our way to the very top floor alone. My heart raced the whole way in my fairly crime free Midwest city :-)

Otherwise, overall - I'd do it. Your personal situation seems like it puts you and your daughter together, alone and if that's your family at this point then embrace and have your vacation!

I'll ask the obvious question, why the middle of the night flight? Maybe if there's no other option than an alternative trip is an option. I think the chance of anything happening in any situation is ~0% and if the park and fly will keep your heart rate the lowest - go with that.

I've left a county music concert in a moderately sized city into a parking deck when my daughter was 6 - having to make our way to the very top floor alone. My heart raced the whole way in my fairly crime free Midwest city :-)

Otherwise, overall - I'd do it. Your personal situation seems like it puts you and your daughter together, alone and if that's your family at this point then embrace and have your vacation!

This trip was planned somewhat last minute so that was our option with return flights. My husband passed away three months ago so just learning my way around this new world of ours. After talking to a friend who flies out of our airport frequently I think we will take a cab home. Thank you everyone for helping me to think this through.

This question is different for me now that I am a single parent and will be navigating the airport without another adult so I thought I'd ask it here. I live only a few minutes from our home airport, so can easily get a ride from a family member for our departure. We'll be arriving home in the middle of the night though. So which would you do: 1) drive your car, park it in extended stay, and then walk to your car with 8 year old daughter at 1 am to drive home, or 2) get a ride to the airport, then go home via Uber/Lyft/Cab? DD is still in a booster seat in my car and ride is only about 10 minutes from airport. I'm trying to weigh the risks in both (overprotective parent here). Thanks for any helpful opinions.
I would drive and park my car.

Do you have a parking company like The Parking Spot at your airport?

We park at The Parking Spot at our home airport. In terms of our particular airport in my home area they have a shuttle that takes you a short distance to the Parking Spot area and the shuttle drops you off and picks you up at your car so you're not really walking outside aside from walking to wait for the shuttle (and they have shuttles frequently). We've found they take good care of you. Most recently a few weeks ago my husband got to the Parking Spot after midnight and found out he forgot to turn a dome light on when he left so his car battery was dead. He was able to get jumped right there in the parking lot very quickly by one of the attendants there.

Otherwise if something like The Parking Spot isn't available and you're really concerned I would really try to see if a family member could pick you up.

Are you coming from a larger metro airport or more a regional one? How far is the walk from the terminal to extended parking? I drove myself one time (my daughter was probably about that age), when we arrived home it was the afternoon (in the snow & cold of a New Hampshire February)... it was exhausting getting to our car with our bags, etc. This was into a smaller regional airport too, and with taking a shuttle from the terminal to the lot. I don't think I would have been comfortable at all doing it at night.

All of our trips have been just the 2 of us, and I'm typically on hyper alert with safety stuff, and have always felt very safe & comfortable at Disney. Our biggest challenge is she wants me in the pool with her the ENTIRE time. We have fun, but sometimes I'd just like to sit on a lounge chair and read a book. :love: She does often make friends at the pool, but again being the only parent I still have to watch her.

On a side note, I'm very sorry for your loss, and I hope you & your daughter have the most magical time.

I know this was resolved, but wanted to answer still. I've gotten back to our home airport (ATL) at 1 and we park and ride. We've also gotten to the airport at 5am. I always use the park and ride because my sister works at night and is usually at work when we leave or land (7pm til 7amshifts). I always feel safe with my daughter.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!