AKV 1bdr or VWL studio?

KalamityJane

DIS Veteran
Planning a trip for early Dec 2014 and trying to figure out best availability and what will meet our needs the best. If we do AKV with a kitchen, I can cook more, but if we do VWL, we would just eat out more (and with kids 6.5, 3.5 and almost 2, that can be an adventure).

What do you all think? We have stayed at GCH at DL which is supposedly similar to both. We do spend a decent amount of time at the resort, and will have a car.

Planning a trip for early Dec 2014 and trying to figure out best availability and what will meet our needs the best. If we do AKV with a kitchen, I can cook more, but if we do VWL, we would just eat out more (and with kids 6.5, 3.5 and almost 2, that can be an adventure).

What do you all think? We have stayed at GCH at DL which is supposedly similar to both. We do spend a decent amount of time at the resort, and will have a car.

AKV-Kidani, sleeper chair and 2nd bathroom! I'd do a one bedroom over a studio any day!

Talked to the hubs and he is okay with a split stay... so we could do a 1 bedroom at both... hrm. The VWL are getting new bedding in 2014, is that correct?

...What do you all think? We have stayed at GCH at DL which is supposedly similar to both. We do spend a decent amount of time at the resort, and will have a car.

I think the architect who designed GC hotel also did WL and Jambo House. But probably didn't do the villas.

Which category of one bedroom were you looking at. AKV Savanna view one bedroom requires a few more points than VWL one bedroom. If you were looking at AKV Value one bedroom, you need AKV points to book that one at eleven months out or you won't get it. I also advise to book VWL at eleven months out because that one is hard to get at seven months out around the holidays.

Yeah, I realize it is probably going to come down to what's available, but I'm hoping that by looking this far out it will help.

I'm not hugely in love with the looks of the rooms at VWL, but I stayed at the cabins in Ft Wilderness on my first trip to the World in 1989, so there is sentimental value to me in taking my own children and I love all the activities for the kids (marshmallow roast, etc).

My fav just by looks and convenience would be BLT...but I have heard that VWL is the place for Christmas stuff. AKV appeals because it is the cheapest if we get a value, it seems like there is stuff that is fun for the kids to do.

So many decisions! Any input on the best Christmas decorations/budget friendly/great activities/convenience resort?

Yeah, I realize it is probably going to come down to what's available, but I'm hoping that by looking this far out it will help.

I'm not hugely in love with the looks of the rooms at VWL, but I stayed at the cabins in Ft Wilderness on my first trip to the World in 1989, so there is sentimental value to me in taking my own children and I love all the activities for the kids (marshmallow roast, etc).

My fav just by looks and convenience would be BLT...but I have heard that VWL is the place for Christmas stuff. AKV appeals because it is the cheapest if we get a value, it seems like there is stuff that is fun for the kids to do.

So many decisions! Any input on the best Christmas decorations/budget friendly/great activities/convenience resort?

Christmas decorations- VWL
Budget friendly- AKV value
Great activities- BWV (boardwalk area)
Convenience to MK- BLT
Room inside your villa- OKW
Pool area- BCV
DTD convenience- SSR
New and fancy- VGF

All open to debate of course, but you see my point, and what makes DVC a lot of fun- there are great points and less great points to each resort.

Don't know where you own, but be aware that early December at WDW is the highest DVC demand time of the year. If you have to rely on the 7 month window, it is doubtful you will be able to get VWL or any other near park resort, and you may even have issues with AKV standard and savanna view at 7 months out. Moreover, if you are referring to getting a value room at AKV for that time, those will likely be filled shortly after the 11 month window opens. If you own at VWL it would be safest to reserve it exactly 11 months out for that time of year.

AK! We think it is the most relaxing of all of the resorts, and an hour or two of that in a busy vacation week can't be underestimated. Plus- the kitchen! Priceless to be able to have your own and be able to cater to little kids. They have marshmallows and movies at night by the pool, and we always loved having the animals right outside. It's so great when some people are ready to go ( kids!) and others need a little more time. You can just walk outside and see the animals- a fun bonus. It's really a place you could enjoy even without the parks....

...My fav just by looks and convenience would be BLT...but I have heard that VWL is the place for Christmas stuff. AKV appeals because it is the cheapest if we get a value, it seems like there is stuff that is fun for the kids to do.

But getting the AKV value villa will be an extremely long shot. You'll probably be able to book savanna or standard. Those are going to require more points.

But getting the AKV value villa will be an extremely long shot. You'll probably be able to book savanna or standard. Those are going to require more points.

Yeah, even savanna or standard is cheaper than most other 1 bedrooms - I'm not that interested in BWV or OKW. I'd take a studio at AKV as well.

My chose would be the 1 bedroom stayed at AKL last July and enjoyed but we had 2 bedroom. Stayed at WL years ago in regular room love here for Christmas though. So if your looking for space then AKL but Christmas atmosphere WL.

So as a somewhat update, decided to go 1 bedroom villa at VWL and split stay with AKV 1 bedroom villa :) best of both worlds :)

Do a split stay is nice because you get a clean tidy villa when you check in. But it is a hassle to pack up and move. You never get to have the settled in feeling. But you will enjoy it.

A 1 bedroom hands down!!! Even better if it's in Kidani so you have 2 bathrooms. There simply is no substitute for that extra space! You don't have to cook if you have a kitchen, but it sure saves a load of money being able to whip up whatever in the room. I don't think we've ever used the stove other than for spaghetti. Disney food quality being as poor as it is, we've enjoyed this immensely!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter