• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

AKV: Are studios tiny? Jambo or Kidani? HELP!!

leebee

DIS Veteran
We are planning to rent points at AKV for my daughter's 21st birthday celebration (where did the years go? :sad1: ) in October, over Columbus Day Weekend, so the time to book is NOW (if not too late&). I cannot decide whether to do studio or 1br, Kidani or Jambo. Here are our details& input appreciated!

Travelers/Trip Plans: Me, DH, DD21. Check in on a Saturday, out on Wednesday, so four nights. We plan on taking DME from the airport, even though we hate using the busses at Disney- but financial concessions have to be made somewhere! We are not pool people at all, so that's irrelevant in our decision-making process. The purpose of the visit is to do the Food and Wine Festival in celebration of DD's 21st birthday, but we will hit all 4 parks during our 4 day stay. Also planning on dinner at Boma and Cali Grill, as well as a "meal" at F&W. Haven't decided on straight passes or park hoppers (waiting to see how all this FP+ stuff shakes out).

Why AKL: We are offsite/value people, due to budget restraints. We'd rather go to Disney more often than more upscale, but have stayed at POP, POFQ, ASMu, OKW, CSR. Animal Kingdom Lodge is our "dream" vacation!!

STUDIO or 1BR?: I was originally thinking of a studio, but they look VERY small from the pictures. Are they this small? It seems that the actual sleeping-room space is larger at the values/moderates (not counting the kitchenette or bathroom space). IS this so? For a 4 night trip, will we make ourselves crazy, crawling over each other in a studio, or is it manageable?

JAMBO or KIDANI?: This is my really big question. We LOVE the lobby at Jambo House (also Boma, pool area, savanna overlook, outdoor fire circle, shop). Will Kidani measure up?

SO& PLEASE help me decide whether to do Jambo or Kidani, and a studio or one villa. I know one thing: SAVANNA VIEW!! :woohoo:

Thanks for your help!

We are planning to rent points at AKV for my daughter's 21st birthday celebration (where did the years go? :sad1: ) in October, over Columbus Day Weekend, so the time to book is NOW (if not too late&). I cannot decide whether to do studio or 1br, Kidani or Jambo. Here are our details& input appreciated! Travelers/Trip Plans: Me, DH, DD21. Check in on a Saturday, out on Wednesday, so four nights. We plan on taking DME from the airport, even though we hate using the busses at Disney- but financial concessions have to be made somewhere! We are not pool people at all, so that's irrelevant in our decision-making process. The purpose of the visit is to do the Food and Wine Festival in celebration of DD's 21st birthday, but we will hit all 4 parks during our 4 day stay. Also planning on dinner at Boma and Cali Grill, as well as a "meal" at F&W. Haven't decided on straight passes or park hoppers (waiting to see how all this FP+ stuff shakes out). Why AKL: We are offsite/value people, due to budget restraints. We'd rather go to Disney more often than more upscale, but have stayed at POP, POFQ, ASMu, OKW, CSR. Animal Kingdom Lodge is our "dream" vacation!! STUDIO or 1BR?: I was originally thinking of a studio, but they look VERY small from the pictures. Are they this small? It seems that the actual sleeping-room space is larger at the values/moderates (not counting the kitchenette or bathroom space). IS this so? For a 4 night trip, will we make ourselves crazy, crawling over each other in a studio, or is it manageable? JAMBO or KIDANI?: This is my really big question. We LOVE the lobby at Jambo House (also Boma, pool area, savanna overlook, outdoor fire circle, shop). Will Kidani measure up? SO& PLEASE help me decide whether to do Jambo or Kidani, and a studio or one villa. I know one thing: SAVANNA VIEW!! :woohoo: Thanks for your help!

I would go with a Jambo 1 bedroom.

Jambo vs. Kidani: We have stayed at Kidani but the main point of our staying there is the pool area with the kids splash & play area. If you're not a pool person, this doesn't matter. Jambo otherwise has way more to offer--mostly the quick service restaurant, and a nice lounge/bar (it IS her 21st birthday after all;).

Regarding space: the studios were very comfortable for two adults with a baby. Now 3 adults on the other hand--not so sure. You certainly won't be tripping over each other (esp if you pack away the pull out couch each day), so if you're trying to save money and/or going to be spending most of your time outside the room, I'd go with a studio. But personally I like a little more space and with 3 adults, I'd go with the 1br.

We are planning to rent points at AKV for my daughter's 21st birthday celebration (where did the years go? :sad1: ) in October, over Columbus Day Weekend, so the time to book is NOW (if not too late&). I cannot decide whether to do studio or 1br, Kidani or Jambo. Here are our details& input appreciated! Travelers/Trip Plans: Me, DH, DD21. Check in on a Saturday, out on Wednesday, so four nights. We plan on taking DME from the airport, even though we hate using the busses at Disney- but financial concessions have to be made somewhere! We are not pool people at all, so that's irrelevant in our decision-making process. The purpose of the visit is to do the Food and Wine Festival in celebration of DD's 21st birthday, but we will hit all 4 parks during our 4 day stay. Also planning on dinner at Boma and Cali Grill, as well as a "meal" at F&W. Haven't decided on straight passes or park hoppers (waiting to see how all this FP+ stuff shakes out). Why AKL: We are offsite/value people, due to budget restraints. We'd rather go to Disney more often than more upscale, but have stayed at POP, POFQ, ASMu, OKW, CSR. Animal Kingdom Lodge is our "dream" vacation!! STUDIO or 1BR?: I was originally thinking of a studio, but they look VERY small from the pictures. Are they this small? It seems that the actual sleeping-room space is larger at the values/moderates (not counting the kitchenette or bathroom space). IS this so? For a 4 night trip, will we make ourselves crazy, crawling over each other in a studio, or is it manageable? JAMBO or KIDANI?: This is my really big question. We LOVE the lobby at Jambo House (also Boma, pool area, savanna overlook, outdoor fire circle, shop). Will Kidani measure up? SO& PLEASE help me decide whether to do Jambo or Kidani, and a studio or one villa. I know one thing: SAVANNA VIEW!! :woohoo: Thanks for your help!

As our DD of the same age has gotten older, she has appreciated having separate sleeping spaces when traveling. If you can swing the one bedroom she'd probably appreciate it. However......

Having said that, I spent last Spring Break at Jambo House in a Studio with DD and her 11year old female cousin. No boys, so we stayed in a Studio! :)

Our Jambo studio had a nice balcony with two chairs overlooking grassland. We had antelope and such, no giraffes or zebras. We were fine with the view as we don't spend a ton of time at the resort. If you are budget people, go with a non-Savannah Studio. There are two queen beds and a tiny area with a small fridge and microwave and sink. It is a small room. The bed area is bigger than the Budget resorts, similar to Moderate. The bathroom is more separate as you can't see it from the beds.

We rented points through David's Vacation Club for that stay, it was just as economical than staying in a Moderate! Bus service is slow from AK, that's the downside. We also used DME.

Both Jambo and Kidani studios are about 360 sq ft. The smaller value studios at Jambo are only 315. The studios other than value are close in size to those at BCV, BWV, VWL, and SSR, larger than BLT and smaller than OKW. For your comparison, ASMu is about 260, POrleans about 315. The 1BRs, which have full kitchen, living room, queen in master bath and queen pull out couch and twin size pull out chair in living room, and w/d, are significantly larger, about 720 sq ft at Jambo and 810 at Kidani. Both have a large master bath and. Kidani has a second bathroom.

The studios are set up with a queen and pull out double couch so in the day time with the couch put in you would not be falling all over each other. Nevertheless, your even mentioning that concern indicates you would likely be much happier in a 1BR where some privacy can be obtained when desired. Moreover, the 1BRs are just much better to have than a studio.

My personal preference if studio is Jambo but if 1BR, Kidani. Nevertheless, with only three and none at kid age, I would also recommend Jambo 1BR, savanna view. Jambo is more like a hotel, has three restaurants including a counter service, the larger pool, the larger store, and larger lobby.

If you want Columbus Day weekend you should move quickly. That is the third highest holiday DVC demand time of the year, behind Christmas/New Years and Thanksgiving. It is actually far easier to get Easter than Columbus Day weekend. Nevertheless, AKV usually stays open longer than others and 1BRs are always the last to go.

Kidani rooms are larger, so I would think you would want to stay there. Also, the one bedroom villas at Kidani have two bathrooms!! May be perfect for your group. We have done a Studio at Kidani with myself, DH and DS19 and we were fine. Especially if you will be out and about most of your trip.

Either way you go, you will love it! We are big fans of Kidani, such a great resort! Have a great trip!

I have not experienced the 1br units in either Jambo or Kidani, so I cannot speak to their sizes. But we have stayed at both resorts and have a definite preference to Kidani which is just as beautiful as Jambo for the peace and quiet and bus service. But it sounds to me like neither of these is important to you on this trip so....

Jambo vs Kidani...

For you, I suggest Jambo. Since your daughter is celebrating her 21st birthday, I'm sure she'll appreciate the busier and more festive atmosphere Jambo offers, not to mention the number of food service options and giant store on site.

The studios are not as tiny as you think: they are laid out much better and are quite a bit larger than the value resorts, which feel like closets in comparison. The big difference is with the DVC studios you have a kitchenette/bathroom hallway area separating the sleeping area away from the main hall (in the 1br units you have an entryway which has the same effect.) The sleeping area inthe studio rooms itself is about the same size as the moderates (comparing to our stays at POR), it just feels so much larger, and you have a balcony which extends feeling of more space.

With either room type, it sounds like your daughter will end up sleeping on a fold-out couch, unless you stay in a Kidani 1br, where she'll have the option of a fold-out chair. Just be sure she's aware of this. Moderates offer 2 normal beds, DVC does not unless you upgrade to a 2 bedroom unit.

With either room type, it sounds like your daughter will end up sleeping on a fold-out couch, unless you stay in a Kidani 1br, where she'll have the option of a fold-out chair. Just be sure she's aware of this. Moderates offer 2 normal beds, DVC does not unless you upgrade to a 2 bedroom unit.

We are prepared for this. We'll fly on Southwest so can check up to 6 bags with no charge. We'll pack some breakfast foods and the aerobed, just in case the sofa bed is uncomfortable!

I have not experienced the 1br units in either Jambo or Kidani, so I cannot speak to their sizes. But we have stayed at both resorts and have a definite preference to Kidani which is just as beautiful as Jambo for the peace and quiet and bus service. But it sounds to me like neither of these is important to you on this trip so.... Jambo vs Kidani... For you, I suggest Jambo. Since your daughter is celebrating her 21st birthday, I'm sure she'll appreciate the busier and more festive atmosphere Jambo offers, not to mention the number of food service options and giant store on site. The studios are not as tiny as you think: they are laid out much better and are quite a bit larger than the value resorts, which feel like closets in comparison. The big difference is with the DVC studios you have a kitchenette/bathroom hallway area separating the sleeping area away from the main hall (in the 1br units you have an entryway which has the same effect.) The sleeping area inthe studio rooms itself is about the same size as the moderates (comparing to our stays at POR), it just feels so much larger, and you have a balcony which extends feeling of more space. With either room type, it sounds like your daughter will end up sleeping on a fold-out couch, unless you stay in a Kidani 1br, where she'll have the option of a fold-out chair. Just be sure she's aware of this. Moderates offer 2 normal beds, DVC does not unless you upgrade to a 2 bedroom unit.

I meant to say that Jambo studios have a couch and bed! not two queens!

Most find the sofabeds fine, They are not as nice as having a bed but they are adequate and they are definitely way better than the lousy ones you find in too many hotels where the rails stick in your back. Also, the chair that folds out to a twin is in all the 1BRs at both Kidani and Jambo except the small number of value rooms.

Jambo, all the way.

1- Lobby
2- Quick Service (even if its just for coffee or snacks)
3- Pool and bar and more room for lounging
4- restaurants, lounge, and gift shop
5- Atmosphere

We stayed at Jambo with 18 yr old and studio was fine. If budget is tight save the money.

Also while we love Jambo, if you are going to be spending most of your time at Food and Wine, I would recommend looking at Boardwalk or Beach Club. To be able to walk to EPCOT and is great, especially if you want to just go back for dessert or some other food item you are craving after having it earlier or the day before!

Also while we love Jambo, if you are going to be spending most of your time at Food and Wine, I would recommend looking at Boardwalk or Beach Club. To be able to walk to EPCOT and is great, especially if you want to just go back for dessert or some other food item you are craving after having it earlier or the day before!

Funny you should mention this! I was just musing over this trip when DD said, "One day I want to stay at AKL because it's my favorite, but for the trip for my 21st birthday, I want to stay at The Boardwalk. It'll be so much fun… bopping over to Epcot, and I can go to JellyRolls and the Dance Club!"

I never in a million years would have guessed this! Maybe I should investigate the Boardwalk.. NOW, as my guess is that it might be too late to get a studio over Columbus Day weekend during the Food&Wine Festival!

I think the Value resorts rooms look larger simply because the beds are doubles not a queen and queen sofa.

Here's the square footage:

Value resort rooms - 260 square feet
Moderate resort rooms - 314 sq. ft.

Studios at the different DVC resorts:

AKV Kidani - 366
Jambo - 365
Value - 316
BCV - 365
BLT - 339
BWV - 359
OKW - 390
SSR - 344
VGC - 379
VGF - 374
VWL - 356
Aulani - 356

The biggest different in a cash value or moderate room and a DVC studio is that the cash rooms have two beds and DVC studios have a queen bed and a pull out couch with the exception of OKW (they have 2 queen beds).

I agree that AK is my favorite (Kidani) but for access to epcot you can't beat BC. As for the clubs your daughter wants to visit, personally at that time of year they didn't seem well visited, if you want to party goto downtown Disney. As far as rooms go, DVC properties, studio or one bedroom only have one bed and one sleeper sofa. My sister didn't find the sleeper sofa to be particularly comfortable. The good news however is that if you are thinking of a one bedroom cost wise you could get two studios so each has privacy and bed. Regarding the size of dvc deluxe studios are a generally larger than regular rooms. If you will be contemplating 2 studios vs one one bedroom the one bedroom has a full kitchen and the studios only have a microwave and small refrig, & coffee pot. Sounds like it will be a great birthday.

Jambo, Jambo, Jambo! We only use studios and have stayed in them at both Jambo and Kidani. I have 2 big peeves with the ones at Kidani. FIRST, the kitchenette at Kidani is smaller. The sink is like a lavatory sink, not a bar sink. It's too small to even rinse out the coffee pot. There is also less countertop space than in any other studio. Inches matter and they got rid of 'em here. There's no room to set anything when you're trying to make even something in the toaster. BAD plan.

My other peeve is the bathroom layout. Jambo is set up with the tub/shower in the room with the toilet (like most studios) and the vanity with the sinks is out in the open. But in Kidani the sink is in with the shower/tub and the toilet is by itself (in a "water closet"). It is so much easier for 2 people to be getting ready at the same time in the Jambo studio vs the Kidani one. In the Kidani one whoever is using the sink has to give a "heads up" to whoever may be showering since they share the same room. NOT a very convenient layout IMHO. I didn't like it at all.

Between the 2 "issues" we really didn't like the Kidani studios.

just wanted to share-- we are in a jambo studio right now and LOVING it. I recommend. We toured a Kidani Studio and definitely preferred the layout here. We have a savanna view and we've only seen birds/antelope but thats NBD to us (here without kids this trip)

We are prepared for this. We'll fly on Southwest so can check up to 6 bags with no charge. We'll pack some breakfast foods and the aerobed, just in case the sofa bed is uncomfortable!

Instead of an aerobed I reccommend a memory foam mattress topper. We always bring one along. This, IMO, makes the pull-out couch even more comfortable than the regular beds.

Jambo, Jambo, Jambo! We only use studios and have stayed in them at both Jambo and Kidani. I have 2 big peeves with the ones at Kidani. FIRST, the kitchenette at Kidani is smaller. The sink is like a lavatory sink, not a bar sink. It's too small to even rinse out the coffee pot. There is also less countertop space than in any other studio. Inches matter and they got rid of 'em here. There's no room to set anything when you're trying to make even something in the toaster. BAD plan.

My other peeve is the bathroom layout. Jambo is set up with the tub/shower in the room with the toilet (like most studios) and the vanity with the sinks is out in the open. But in Kidani the sink is in with the shower/tub and the toilet is by itself (in a "water closet"). It is so much easier for 2 people to be getting ready at the same time in the Jambo studio vs the Kidani one. In the Kidani one whoever is using the sink has to give a "heads up" to whoever may be showering since they share the same room. NOT a very convenient layout IMHO. I didn't like it at all.

Between the 2 "issues" we really didn't like the Kidani studios.

Not so much for you as you've decided Jambo's the place for you :) but for others - the Kidani kitchenette does seem smaller than Jambo's - but I make due by taking one of the living area tables and putting it in the alcove that joins it and the 1br next door. It gives me a place to put a dish while using the counter space for the mixing bowl and flat grill (kids are so happy I can make pancakes on our trip!) With practice and a bit of shuffling, you can make the area work.

Not so much for you as you've decided Jambo's the place for you :) but for others - the Kidani kitchenette does seem smaller than Jambo's - but I make due by taking one of the living area tables and putting it in the alcove that joins it and the 1br next door. It gives me a place to put a dish while using the counter space for the mixing bowl and flat grill (kids are so happy I can make pancakes on our trip!) With practice and a bit of shuffling, you can make the area work.

:rotfl: Sounds like how I have to do things sometimes if we are camping. IMO we shouldn't have to do that in a DVC deluxe villa. JM2C. We'll stick to Jambo where there's just a smidge more space.:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter