AKV Wheelchair Accessible Studio?

LJSquishy

DIS Veteran
Are there studios at AKV Jambo House that are able to accommodate an ECV? Will a normal Studio work since there are elevators? We plan to rent points, but my dad is considering renting an ECV due to not being able to walk long distances (he can walk fine, wait in normal ride lines, do an occasional flight of stairs, etc...just not all day long) and I'd like to be able to give him accurate information on a DVC studio at AKV in case he does decide to rent an ECV.

It doesn't need to be a totally handicap accessible room, just have a space to park & charge the ECV and still be able to walk around the room without tripping and I didn't know if a "normal" studio had room for one. They would likely be booking in either Standard or Savanna category...I don't think they would try and do Value (although my husband and I plan to try for that).

This isn't a direct answer to your question, but my thoughts. I would want to make sure that the room would meet my other needs, before requesting HA. We were given an HA 1-bedroom at Jambo, and it didn't have a tub at all (just the roll-in shower that flooded the rest of the bathroom). I believe that most HA rooms will have just the King bed, not two Queens, but I could be totally wrong on that with a Jambo studio.

And on that same trip, we talked to an adult mom/daughter set who thought they should get an HA *hotel* room at Jambo because of their scooters, but having the King bed for them was just entirely not OK. They wished they hadn't booked it, because, like your dad, pretty much all they needed was more room for the scooters. Alas the room was made by having the King bed, and the bathroom wasn't what they wanted/needed at all.

So really make sure you find out what the layout is, before going forward with requesting the accessible room.

This isn't a direct answer to your question, but my thoughts. I would want to make sure that the room would meet my other needs, before requesting HA. We were given an HA 1-bedroom at Jambo, and it didn't have a tub at all (just the roll-in shower that flooded the rest of the bathroom). I believe that most HA rooms will have just the King bed, not two Queens, but I could be totally wrong on that with a Jambo studio.

And on that same trip, we talked to an adult mom/daughter set who thought they should get an HA *hotel* room at Jambo because of their scooters, but having the King bed for them was just entirely not OK. They wished they hadn't booked it, because, like your dad, pretty much all they needed was more room for the scooters. Alas the room was made by having the King bed, and the bathroom wasn't what they wanted/needed at all.

So really make sure you find out what the layout is, before going forward with requesting the accessible room.

Thanks for sharing your experience of a HA room. DVC studios are different than regular AKL rooms in that they all have one queen bed + a queen sofabed whereas the regular rooms have 2 queen beds so I figured I'd ask here on the DVC board whether there are actual DVC rooms that are HA and if we will need one of those or if any of the standard DVC studios will suffice. I'm hoping a regular studio will work just for the sake of not having to complicate things.

I haven't actually stayed in a HA studio at Jambo house but the HA studios I have stayed in had no more room than a regular studio. At many places I have seen the ECVs parked in the hallways outside the rooms instead of inside. I don't think you will have extra room for the EVC in a HA studio so if that is the primary purpose for HA room than it is not worth it. They do seem to have less cabinet space and lower fixtures. I think having room for it would be more in looking at what beds in the room are being used and who all is using the room to look at how much stuff is in the room in general- if you don't need a pack and play and stroller in the room then you will probably have space for 1 EVC in the room. Obviously if you don't need the sofa bed you will have plenty of room for the EVC parking. You don't want to get a value villa however since those already have less room than regular ones.

Thanks for sharing your experience of a HA room. DVC studios are different than regular AKL rooms in that they all have one queen bed + a queen sofabed whereas the regular rooms have 2 queen beds so I figured I'd ask here on the DVC board whether there are actual DVC rooms that are HA and if we will need one of those or if any of the standard DVC studios will suffice. I'm hoping a regular studio will work just for the sake of not having to complicate things.

Double sleeper sofa, not queen sleeper sofa. But GFV studios is supposed to have a queen sleeper sofa.

Thank you for the info. I didn't know they could be parked in the hallway and it didn't even occur to me to do that. It will be just my parents in that room, no kids or tons of luggage. It sounds like they can make it fit in the room if needed. Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter