• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Alaska Airlines buying Hawaiian Airlines

Didn’t see that one coming. We were loyal Hawaiian flyers for years but the last few years have been flying Alaska on the mainland and to Hawaii from the west coast. It’ll be interesting to see how this unfolds. Alaska is an all 737 Fleet. Hawaiian has a mix of types and a bunch of Boeing wide bodies on order. Wonder if Hawaiian will merge into Alaska or if it’ll run separately.

Really love the aloha spirit on Hawaiian. Alaska... not so much. :sad2:

Well….the email I just got as an Alaskan Miles member says the Hawaiian name will remain. It will exist alongside the Alaska Airlines brand.

I don’t know as long as southwest is in the mix to Hawaii I think pricing will still be reasonable.
They don’t have any direct flights from Portland and my wife can’t stand the cattle call style of boarding…

The two airlines that flew direct were Alaska and Hawaiian… that will probably go down to just one now…

Here’s what I got. In the short term looks loke
Nothing will change for the next 12-18 months.

• Preserving the Hawaiian Airlines brand: The beloved Hawaiian Airlines brand will remain, reflected on airplanes, at airports and elsewhere. It will exist alongside the Alaska Airlines brand, supported by a single operating platform and industry-leading loyalty program.
  • More destinations: Guests will benefit from more choice and increased international connectivity with a combined network of 138 destinations including non-stop service to 29 international destinations such as Tokyo, Seoul, Sydney and Auckland, as well as over 1,200 global destinations through the oneworld Alliance. The combined airline will have a fleet of 365 narrow- and wide-body airplanes.
  • Commitment to Hawai‘i: We will expand service and convenience for Hawai‘i residents, maintain and grow union-represented jobs in the Hawaiian Islands, continue to invest in our employees’ careers and workforce development for the future, work with local communities to build a vibrant future for Hawai‘i, and invest in environmental sustainability.
Alaska Airlines has been proud to serve Hawai‘i for over sixteen years. At the same time, we know we have more to learn and feel a deep responsibility to serve the people of Hawai‘i for generations to come.
The process for approval of Alaska Airlines’ acquisition of Hawaiian Airlines will take 12 to 18 months and both companies will continue to operate as they do today until that time.

They don’t have any direct flights from Portland and my wife can’t stand the cattle call style of boarding…

The two airlines that flew direct were Alaska and Hawaiian… that will probably go down to just one now…
I HATE southwest and that cattle call boarding with a passion. I’d rather swim than take SW, but plenty seem to love the greyhound of the air.

They compete with Delta on all of the Hawaiian routes out of SeaTac.
Yes. I'm from Washington State (Alaska's base is in Seattle), and they are my least favorite airline. I generally fly Delta if I can, including to HI.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter