All about the Autotrain

It shouldn't take long to get things fixed. Definitely not months. Most likely a few weeks, if that. Railroads still need to move their freight.
Oh, yes, I know. I'm sorry I wasn't clear...I was just imagining if we had been on a trip when something like this happened. I didn't mean to imply it would still be like this when it's time for our next trip. :)

It shouldn't take long to get things fixed. Definitely not months. Most likely a few weeks, if that. Railroads still need to move their freight.
The Auto-Train ran over the weekend. Today's departures are cancelled, but I'm not sure if that is accident related, or due to quarantine/travel-restrictions.
B1C4E576-D8BE-46D3-B105-78A3362D1564.jpeg34C8FB70-AA3C-498F-A676-57A08AE4A761.jpeg

Last edited:
Anybody know how they're handling dinner for sleeping car passengers in the COVID age?

According to the 'Traditional Dining' page: Traditional dining service has been temporarily suspended on all routes with the exception of the Auto Train. Through June 30, Sleeping Car customers will be offered flexible dining service; Coach customers will be offered Café service.

Two of my three trips aboard I traveled alone, and I was seated with a family for dinner in the diner car. Just wondering if they're doing that now. I assume no, but am curious if they're spreading people out in the diner (and lounge cars maybe), or bringing meals to the rooms.

Anybody know how they're handling dinner for sleeping car passengers in the COVID age?

According to the 'Traditional Dining' page: Traditional dining service has been temporarily suspended on all routes with the exception of the Auto Train. Through June 30, Sleeping Car customers will be offered flexible dining service; Coach customers will be offered Café service.

Two of my three trips aboard I traveled alone, and I was seated with a family for dinner in the diner car. Just wondering if they're doing that now. I assume no, but am curious if they're spreading people out in the diner (and lounge cars maybe), or bringing meals to the rooms.
A partial trip report on YouTube said there is limited seating in the diner, and everyone else eats in their room. No views of the diner in the video.

A partial trip report on YouTube said there is limited seating in the diner, and everyone else eats in their room. No views of the diner in the video.
Thanks!

It looks like he just put up another video, and he ate in his room.

I've had an attendant bring my meal to my room on other sleepers, but not the Auto Train. It seems like they need the meal times to do the bed conversion, but maybe with fewer passengers aboard the AT, the attendants can manage better.

Thanks!

I've had an attendant bring my meal to my room on other sleepers, but not the Auto Train. It seems like they need the meal times to do the bed conversion, but maybe with fewer passengers aboard the AT, the attendants can manage better.
I saw a post on an Amtrak fan board that said the Western trains are seating only one party per table, at alternate tables on each side of the aisle, so nobody is sitting at the next table or at the table across the aisle. The Western trains, which still had full service dining before the virus, are now serving the precooked "Flex" meals, but giving sleeper passengers the choice of eating them in their room or in the diner.

We're in a bedroom both ways in Nov and had planned to eat in our room anyway. Even if our cruises are cancelled and our wdw portion doesn't happen, we're still going to FL for three weeks. Glad to have the bedroom.

Thanks!

Actually, they ask when you want your room made up and we always ask for 9 pm, which is well after we get back from dinner. It literally takes less than 5 minutes to get a room converted. We've done 7 trips (5 in sleepers) and that's how they've done it.

Just a update for anyone who might be interested -

My folks took the autotrain back to Florida, Lorton to Sanford on Friday July 10th. I was able to book them on the train (one way) just a few days prior to them taking it, no problem getting a 1 bedroom. Out of 600* people it could potentially hold, there was a total of 150 passengers. Dinner was not served in the dining cars, rather in the room. They said the food "wasn't to bad actually" :rolleyes: Not sure what it was... The expedited/first off option for getting your car off first wasn't available.

* numbers as told to my mother by autotrain employee yesterday

Found out what dinner was: flat iron steak, mashed potatoes & veggies, cheesecake or ice cream. I'm sure there was another choice, I just asked what they ordered, didn't think to ask what all the options were!

Did they have the upgraded amenities a track was advertising?

I don't know. I didn't notice anything about it on the website when I booked it and they didn't mention anything. They've done the autotrain a few times so they are somewhat familiar with what goes along with it- I'll guess no?
What upgraded amenities was Amtrak advertising? Perhaps they didn't apply to the Autotrain, rather the other train services?

We were just on two weeks ago. The dinner menu is the same one they’ve been having and is still posted on the website. All meals were brought to our room and the sleeper diner was closed. There are new bed linens which are a huge improvement over the old ones. There were not any other in room amenities other than the usual bottled water and soap (we were in a bedroom).

We're cancelling our RT in a bedroom for Oct 30 - Nov 20 as we're cancelling our two weeks of cruises and 5 days at WDW. This was rescheduled from last year after I broke my ankle and injured my knee and had ankle surgery. We'll rebook prob for next fall or even into 2022.

We are taking the Auto Train 12/24 returning 1/1. Our seats are lower level coach.
Questions:
Is there room to bring a small cooler? Are there outlets to charge our phones and iPads? Is there overhead storage?

Thanks in advanced

We're cancelling our RT in a bedroom for Oct 30 - Nov 20 as we're cancelling our two weeks of cruises and 5 days at WDW. This was rescheduled from last year after I broke my ankle and injured my knee and had ankle surgery. We'll rebook prob for next fall or even into 2022.
Sorry to hear of your injury. We lost a European river cruise to DW’s broken ankle in fall 2018. Surgery for her as well. Hope your recovery is continuing well.

We are taking the Auto Train 12/24 returning 1/1. Our seats are lower level coach.
Questions:
Is there room to bring a small cooler? Are there outlets to charge our phones and iPads? Is there overhead storage?

Thanks in advanced

In coach you have an overhead storage rack for any small luggage you bring onboard. So, yes, there's room for a very small cooler. We haven't done coach in years as we prefer a bedroom, but always brought a carryon each and some snacks. There is one electric outlet per seat, but since there are two seats on each side, there are two outlets together under the window, closer to the floor. There is also free wifi that has improved a lot over the years they've been offering it.

We are going to be booking for right after Thanskgiving 2021 so we'll be doing that in a couple of weeks as soon as the 11 months window opens. We have a ton of points so we'll use those for a bedroom each way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter