Planning on being in WDW twice in 2019 for a total of 10-11 days with water parks (and Memory Maker) so a Platinum Plus AP definitely works out to save money!

Questions:

1. When to buy the AP? (I will be going in March and in June) I understand if I buy it online it's just a "certificate" and not active until I go to the park for the first time, correct?
2. We are hoping that by having an AP that perhaps a good room discount will become available for the June stay - does my AP have to be activated in order to take advantage of any possible room discounts?

Planning on being in WDW twice in 2019 for a total of 10-11 days with water parks (and Memory Maker) so a Platinum Plus AP definitely works out to save money!

Questions:

1. When to buy the AP? (I will be going in March and in June) I understand if I buy it online it's just a "certificate" and not active until I go to the park for the first time, correct?
2. We are hoping that by having an AP that perhaps a good room discount will become available for the June stay - does my AP have to be activated in order to take advantage of any possible room discounts?
1. Yes
2. No
In fact, you don’t need to have ANY kind of AP or AP certificate in order
to BOOK an AP room. You only need to have the AP during that stay.

1. Yes
2. No
In fact, you don’t need to have ANY kind of AP or AP certificate in order
to BOOK an AP room. You only need to have the AP during that stay.

In my past experience, the AP room rates don't show up as an option for me when I don't have an AP tied to my MDE account. The AP can be purchased and tied to my MDE account and not yet activated, and the discounts will show up. But if I don't have the AP tied to my account, I can't see the room discounts in advance to know that there actually is an AP room discount available.

Robo - have your experiences with this been different?

In my past experience, the AP room rates don't show up as an option for me when I don't have an AP tied to my MDE account. The AP can be purchased and tied to my MDE account and not yet activated, and the discounts will show up. But if I don't have the AP tied to my account, I can't see the room discounts in advance to know that there actually is an AP room discount available.

Robo - have your experiences with this been different?

If you want an AP room, you can call WDW booking and ask, and/or check the Resorts Forum here on the DISboards.

Regardless, my point is that buying an AP in advance is not required to book an AP-rate room.

if i purchase an AP before my trip online, and get the certificate, would i be able to book FP+ at 30 days out without activating it first? im staying offsite, i work for a hotel chain and as much as id love to stay in the Disney bubble i cant bring myself to not take advantage of a 6 night stay for $200, lol. so if booking FP+ with an AP at 30 days without it being officially activated is a possibility, ill buy soon, but if not then i may as well wait til i get there and purchase in person as it wont do me any good til im there anyway.

Last edited:

Does anyone think AP prices will go up again this year? I'm looking to upgrade package tickets I have in December, but I'm worried that the cost will increase before then.

Robo, I've got 10 or so 7 day tickets that I had planned to upgrade to DVC APs in future years. Do you think I should go ahead and upgrade to certificates now? I'm worried if they change the MYW ticket structure, you won't be able to upgrade these tickets(you'd have to use them as is). Just wanted your opinion.

Does anyone think AP prices will go up again this year? I'm looking to upgrade package tickets I have in December, but I'm worried that the cost will increase before then.

Nobody knows.

Robo, I've got 10 or so 7 day tickets that I had planned to upgrade to DVC APs in future years. Do you think I should go ahead and upgrade to certificates now? I'm worried if they change the MYW ticket structure, you won't be able to upgrade these tickets(you'd have to use them as is). Just wanted your opinion.

Convert to certificates if (at the time you do so) the certificates have an "expiration date" that fits your plans.

Convert to certificates if (at the time you do so) the certificates have an "expiration date" that fits your plans.
I thought AP certificates did not expire. Just trying to make some plans and don't want to shoot myself in the foot.

I thought AP certificates did not expire. Just trying to make some plans and don't want to shoot myself in the foot.
Current (as of latest info) AP certificates expire at the end of the year 2030.

If that wiil change between now and when you get YOUR certificates, nobody knows.

Last edited:
Current (as of latest info) AP certificates expire at the end of the year 2030.

If that wiil that change between now and when you get YOUR certificates, nobody knows.
Thanks. Planning on doing this around the first of October.

We upgraded two of our 1-day tickets to 3-day FL resident tickets during our trip last week. We were credited what we paid for them, not the face value.

These were tickets we purchased using the GM employee discount. I am guessing these tickets come directly from Disney and that is why there is no price bridging?

Last edited:
We upgraded two of our 1-day tickets to 3-day FL resident tickets during our trip last week. We were credited what we paid for them, no the face value.

These were tickets we purchased using the GM employee discount. I am guessing these tickets come directly from Disney and that is why there is no price bridging?
There are some discounted tickets that are not price-bridged due to their highly-discounted price.
Regardless, DID you purchase these tickets directly from a Disney ticket booth at WDW?

hi! my brother-in-law is giving us tickets they bought for MNSSHP that they can't use. They are already linked with his MDE. What is the easiest way for him to transfer the tickets to us? i see that he could add us to his F&F list, would he need to add all four people he wanted to transfer the tickets to, or can he just add me and transfer all 4?

hi! my brother-in-law is giving us tickets they bought for MNSSHP that they can't use.

They are already linked with his MDE. What is the easiest way for him to transfer the tickets to us?
1. i see that he could add us to his F&F list,
2. would he need to add all four people he wanted to transfer the tickets to, or can he just add me and transfer all 4?

1. Yup.
2. Each person being there would likely be easier/faster.
Otherwise, you'd have to do the second step of "re-transferring" to the others.

I don't mind reassigning them to my family members if it's possible for him to just add me and not everyone. some of them are kids and don't have their own accounts

I don't mind reassigning them to my family members if it's possible for him to just add me and not everyone. some of them are kids and don't have their own accounts

OK. Go for it.
Have a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter