All New Atlantic Canada Thread....

Applemomma

DIS Veteran
So as far as I can tell the last Atlantic Canada thread died out in 2008 so as we come out of our winter hibernation I thought it was time to revive it in a manner of speaking.....

Share your love of Disney, challenges in getting there and whatever else strikes you!

I'll start it off be reintroducing myself....I'm in the Annapolis Valley of Nova Scotia, heading back to the World with my two dd's and my mom in November. As the name implies I've got apple orchards and spend a good portion of my time plotting how to get to Orlando!

For a great thread on getting the heck out of Dodge and landing in Orlando check out this thread:

Maritimes + New England best fares to Orlando (Post em)
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2334539

Is anyone else following threads that they think their fellow Maritimers would benefit from?

Hope I'm not stepping on any toes by starting this thread!!

Ok .. I'm Ted from Halifax. Lived here all my life ... since the early 60's. I will be to WDW tomorrow and then again in May (long story ... but its a way to get from Halifax to Abilene Texas).

I have 4 kids ... 1 in University, 1 in High school, 2 in elementary. A lovely wife :love:

I stalk the thread identified above ... airfare is one of the ways to save money on your disney trip!

One thread I want to bring to your attention is for people leaving Nova Scotia going to WDW in February 2011. It is at the Halifax School Board 2 week break corresponds to the Canada Games.

The escape from Halifax (February 2011)
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2405253

Im Dennise I live near Truro, like Ted I am always looking for good deals to get to orlando. Ted, according to my GPS, Orlando is not on the way to Texas, but it sounds good, just kidding, I would do the same if I could. I have three grown children and seven wonderful grandkids that are keeping me busy following their hockey playoffs and tournaments at the present time. I haven't even got suitcases dug out yet and we leave in two weeks. Have 3 tournaments this weekend and Provincials next week end. I will be packed!

Hi, I'm Brad from Windsor Junction. We're a family of 5 (DD 12, DD 9, DS 7). We bought a timeshare on I-drive back in 1999 and go every couple of years on average. We tend to prefer Universal over Disney, but both are good. Next trip will be Feb 2011 for a 2 week break (like Ted).

I was having some frustrating experiences with aeroplan, but it all worked out. We had 100k AP points, hoping to get seats for 25k each. We've never seen 4 seats together, and 3 only rarely. We were able to get 3 AP seats together going down. While we were looking for possibilities to use the 4th seat, it showed up on AP, where the flight down was identical and the flight back the 1st leg was identical, and the 2nd arrived home just 10 minutes later. What luck! :banana: I had been thinking of giving up on AP but decided to stick in there.

I think there is a schedule on when flights and seats are released to AP. If you look too soon, the seats haven't been released. If you look too late, someone else may have claimed them. I guess the same thinking prevails as the people who make up cell phone plans. :eek:

If AP let us down, I was convincing DW to drive up and fly out of Portland, ME. Wow is it ever cheap (between 1/2 to 1/4 by my estimates), looks like a 9-hour drive but thats OK by me.

Our general plan with the timeshare is to go every other year for 2 weeks. You get a longer vacation and spend 1/2 as much on airfare. In alternate years we visit family or go to PEI, etc. We save a lot of money avoiding restaurants as a family, and cooking isn't that bothersome - the way we do it. Since its vacation and the kids would be ordering chicken nuggets in a restaurant anyway (then only eat 1/2 :sad2:), we just buy lots of frozen stuff (pizza, nuggets, etc.). At mealtime, one parent takes the kids to the pool and the other heats up the oven and takes a break. We buy pre-made salads and fruit salad too, just to dilute the chemicals in the processed stuff (maybe I'm just imagining this helps).

Oh, and I took DW down for a long weekend just in January, her xx-th birthday (classified info). Without kids, we found a really inexpensive sports bar called Millers Orlando Ale House. There are a few around, one next to the Florida Mall, one on I-drive, one closer to Downtown Disney (or SR 535 IIRC). Wow the domestic stuff was pretty cheap ($5 pitchers, etc.). Typical food, huge portions (esp. nachos).

I'm most looking forward to the new Wizarding World of Harry Potter :yay:, more than my kids (but most people on this thread are likely the same). DW just wants to sit by the pool and do nothing. The kids want to go to Aquatica. We're planning to get the Orlando FlexPass, I thinks its the best deal - covers 14 days of everything other than Disney for a reasonable price (aprox. $260/ad, $240/ch).

My name is Paula and I live just outside Halifax. This upcoming trip is our first solo trip together....anywhere. Dh and I have been married for 17 years and have NEVER gone anywhere wih just the two of us, we always travelled with friends and family and then of course our children. I am excited but still sad to be going without the children who are getting new laptops in lieu of the trip(way cheaper too).
I am trying to find a way to get us there in Feb 2011, for the Canada games break. Come on lotto 649!!!

Hi! I'm Joanna from Antigonish. Have a 6 year old DD and a partner who is not a Disney fan but I'm working to convert him. :) Further to that effort, we're booked on a Disney cruise in May 2011 and really looking forward to it. Even he is.

I've been to WDW 3 times, twice off-site and POR full package last time. I have to say, that's the only way to go with a small child.

I love everything Disney from Walt's first films and parks to the stores, to the full blown travel company it's created. I just love Disney corporate philosophy and values. I like the idea I can enjoy vacations WITH my child and as an adult. I even think I"d love a Disney career but I'm too far gone for that. I'm grooming my girl for that. hehe :cool2:

I have "done" the rest of Orlando and love Islands of Adventure but I keep returning to Disney. My absolute dream is to buy into the Disney Vacation Club. I think in about 2 years I'll be able to do that. I just love their resorts and customer service...even for breaks without going to the parks themselves.

I do watch the flight/travel threads from Maritimes to Orlando thread. I also watch the US currency thread.

PS- Paula, the 649 is $35 million this Wednesday. Good luck on that! I know I'm getting tickets and will sink a sickening $200k into DVC if I win. LOL. My daughter is an Abby to...but with a "y." :)

hello my disney loving friends! we leave for disney in one month! eek!!! trip will be me, dh and the kiddos, 4dd, and ds2 who will turn three while there. we live in timberlea. dh and i have been 4 times together, the last out anny trip in october, with kids. it was an amazing trip.

one week after we returned from our october trip we had a 40% pin code for deluxe resorts. hence this trip. i booked it while dh was in the field in gagetown. he has informed me southbound trooper has been officially cancelled so we may just get down there for a trip during our two week school break next year. if im not on here checking out info i still dont know, im trolling the airlines, altho i dont have much luck there.

this will make my 7th trip to the world, altho 2 were as a kid and we only did mk. i ran into a friend last week and was telling her were going back...she laughed and rolled her eyes. im slowly driving my friends crazy on fb with all my dis speak and count down.

oh yeah and i have a winnie the pooh tattoo on my lower back.

Hello, my name is Chad and my wife is Lisa Marie. It's just us and the fur kids but they haven't been yet. I know, the horror. ;)

We both live in Halifax and get to the "world" at least two times per year if in any way we can. Last year wasn't that way as we took a diversion to the west coast on an Adventures by Disney tour. My trip report can be found here... http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2417676

Our challenges in getting to the "world" are limited only by our vacation time. We purchased DVC many years ago now and continue to thoroughly enjoy the membership. We have driven to Maine to fly out of there for cheaper flights. Ted, I have flown to Orlando on my way to Vancouver, so I can relate.

Our next trip will be in just 25 short days! Going to try Vero Beach, a short Disney Cruise and followed by the "world". Staying in the treehouse villas too so it should be a all new adventure.

We are planning on a Disney Dream/Disney World trip in the Spring of 2011 followed by the TransAtlantic in the Fall. May even squeeze in a trip this coming Fall (don't tell the wife :thumbsup2 ). And yes, we are always two trips ahead in our planning. Did I mention we are both project managers ;)

Hope everyone has a Disney Day!

Chad J.

Our next trip will be in just 25 short days! Going to try Vero Beach, a short Disney Cruise and followed by the "world". Staying in the treehouse villas too so it should be a all new adventure.

Hi! Tell us how the Treehouse villas are when you return. I was staying at POR last year and saw them on our boat trip to Downtown Dis. They look like such fun. I'm saving up to try and buy into SSR or AKV for DVC. Is SSR your home resort? Do you like it? Anything you don't like about it?

Hi! Tell us how the Treehouse villas are when you return. I was staying at POR last year and saw them on our boat trip to Downtown Dis. They look like such fun. I'm saving up to try and buy into SSR or AKV for DVC. Is SSR your home resort? Do you like it? Anything you don't like about it?

Hi there,

We are excited for the treehouse villas as well. We have another family visiting with us so it will be interesting how we all enjoy it. Last year we stayed in a two bedroom at AKL with them and loved it.

We have both SSR and AKV as our home resorts. We love both resorts. There is much debate over SSR but we both personally LOVE it. We find the grounds and "golf resort" vibe just what we like. We like being so close to downtown Disney and find it's the perfect place to relax if you don't want to "do the parks". It's not for everyone but then again, that is why they have so much choice. AKV is used strictly for concierge when it's just the two of us. We are currently debating purchasing more points but this time at Bay Lake Tower. The other option is to just add on at SSR. Word of warning..DVC addonitis is a real condition to watch out for. ;)

Hope this helps!

CJM

Hello.... My name is Pia and I live near Fredericton, NB. I have been going to WDW ever since I can remember. Took my DH there on our honeymoon 18 years ago for his first trip and we bought into DVC in 2005. Have two daughters 14 and 10. Thank goodness that they both love Disney.
With our DVC we go on average once a year. There have been a few times that I have convinced DH to go twice. We always fly out of Portland. Once from Bangor. I have never seen a flight from Fredericton or surrounding area that has been worth purchasing.

Hi there,

There is much debate over SSR but we both personally LOVE it. We find the grounds and "golf resort" vibe just what we like. We like being so close to downtown Disney and find it's the perfect place to relax if you don't want to "do the parks".

CJM

So what is all the debate over SSR? Is it just the golf vibe, 'cause I gotta say, I like Downtown Dis myself but I'm not a golfer. My parents are golfers and if they ever wanted to use my points for a trip, they'd LOVE SSR.....but then, it doesn't have to be my home resort for that. All I know is I don't need a resort that is close to the parks so I'm not paying premium for BLT etc. I think I would go sometimes and not go to the parks. AKV may be perfect in that respect and the contract is long (for value over a longer time). I wish BCV's contract was longer....

*my head hurts with all the options and considerations but then that's also what I love about Disney*.

Really sorry for going off-topic on this thread. I just like Maritimers' opinions on many Disney things since we share a similar vibe (background) and since we have many of the same logistic/value considerations (like how much our travel is to WDW!).

Hello! I'm Kim from the Truro area! We are a family of 5...dh, our 3 dd's (15, 13, 7) and myself. We will be going back to the world in a little over 5 weeks! :cool1:

Our first family vacation was March 2007...DH and the girls had never been before (I had been 3 previous times as a child/teengaer)..now we can't get back soon enough. Being a family of 5 does have it's disadvantages so we're again renting a Villa offsite. That being said we LOVED the last one and all room we had...compared to 5 of us crammed into a hotel room. Also renting a Villa allows us to stay for 2 weeks...;)

Someday I would like to stay on resort and take advantage of the free dining plan....I'm just not sure about the heat of the summer in Florida :confused3

This will be our first time flying out of Halifax (to MCO)...we did the border crossing and went from Boston last time. Looking forward to a 40 minute drive vs a 12 hour one. We got an awesome deal with A/C on New Years Day...it does pay to keep watching those fares!

Nice meeting you all :hippie:

I just found everyone this month, I am Susan and live in Dartmouth with 2DD and DH. Years ago, we honeymooned in Disney and we have just returned from our third Disney family vacation. We are anxiously awaiting Harry Potter at Universal and have already agreed to forgo Disney next year (Yikes!) in anticipation of HP at Universal. My girls love Universal and I of Adventure. PLEASE let us know about any packages, I may even consider Portland to Orlando this summer if it works out. Let me know if any fellow Atl Cdns have found packages to stay on the Univ. resorts after HP opens in June.

I'm Andrea from Dartmouth. Married for almost 17 years (July) although been with hubby for 22..have two dss (13 and 9) We've been enjoying the magical, wonderful world of Disney for the past three years (our upcoming trip is in April ***YAY***!) I am a Disney Fanatic..and I think my dh is pretty much on his way. The boys enjoy our quality fun family time each year. After we return we will begin planning our 4th trip with close friends and their family. We are planning on staying longer to take in Universal and NASA as well as Disney..

We've always stayed at POP and don't think we would stay anywhere else where we really enjoy the service and convenience of a value resort (although it seems pretty spectacular for a value resort!) Our motto is when on vacation, we do not wanna see dishes to wash, preparing our own meals or making beds..hence why staying off site may be cheaper, we just love convenience..

Have a great trip everyone!!! :wizard:

I just found everyone this month, I am Susan and live in Dartmouth with 2DD and DH. Years ago, we honeymooned in Disney and we have just returned from our third Disney family vacation. We are anxiously awaiting Harry Potter at Universal and have already agreed to forgo Disney next year (Yikes!) in anticipation of HP at Universal. My girls love Universal and I of Adventure. PLEASE let us know about any packages, I may even consider Portland to Orlando this summer if it works out. Let me know if any fellow Atl Cdns have found packages to stay on the Univ. resorts after HP opens in June.

Have you checked their website? There's already packages out. My girls and DH LOVED U/A and IOA..it's a must do for us. We're hoping there will be some soft openings when were are there in April/May! Can't wait for HP :love:

We're planning to get the Orlando FlexPass, I thinks its the best deal - covers 14 days of everything other than Disney for a reasonable price (aprox. $260/ad, $240/ch).[/QUOTE]

Brad, you can get this from Undercover Tourist for 247.95 US. And shipping is free. I just ordered mine this morning. With the dollar sitting so high I couldn't resist.

Just watch out for soft openings: we were there for the soft opening of the Simpsons ride and the wait was 3 hours long. Yup! Then my friend was at the soft opening for manatee in Sea World and the ride broke with her son hanging from it for 30 minutes! I want to go to HP when it is up and running smoothly and I would like a special better than what is on their web site now. Here's to hoping!

Just watch out for soft openings: we were there for the soft opening of the Simpsons ride and the wait was 3 hours long. Yup! Then my friend was at the soft opening for manatee in Seas World and the right broke with her son hanging from it for 30 minutes! I want to go to HP when it is up and running smoothly and I would like a special better than what is on their web site now. Here's to hoping!

For sure! We thought for sure HP would be opened when we had planned our trip. They were saying "Spring 2010"...thought for sure end of April / first week of May would be a safe time. Oh well...I've already told DH if it's not open then it's my excuse for HAVING to go back next year rather than wait another year....:rotfl:

Hello, my name is Sheila and I live in Pictou County, N.S.

I am married to my best friend Wesley for 23 years! We have 2 DD ages 21 and 16, also 1 DS 10 yrs.! DD 16 is in a wheelchair, Disney is great for her!

We have been to Disney 4 times. Stayed off resort once in 2000. We are hooked! LOVE it!

Stayed at the cabins, CBR, and this trip WL for 7 nights and POP for 3!!!!:banana:

Nice to meet everyone!:wizard:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter