All You Need is Love: an offsite, non-Disney PTR (counting down to May 2018)

Keep strong, Gina! I know it's been a bad few months, but it will get better. I think late 2016-early 2017 was one of those times for me. We lost both my father-in-law and dad and then had to try to help my mom get her life back together after it fell to pieces! With the help of family and friends we struggled through and we're here!! I do have to say it's brought our family closer as we had to lean on each other!

This is why I love this thread...almost everyone has experienced these life pitfalls already and you know you are not alone and that eventually things will improve. PattyW your life sounds like mine... lost fil to cancer Christmas Eve 2016, and then my Dad to Alzheimer's on Valentine's Day 2017. Nasty diseases both. They were in their 91st year and the years preceding their deaths were consumed with caring for them ... my Dad in particular as we kept him at home with us til almost the end ... while working full time, but my husband went to every one of his Dad's chemo/medical appointments, did all the groceries etc etc for his parents, as well as supporting me in my care of my Dad obvi, since he was living with us. Then we had to get mil into long term care, which is no small feat in Ontario, and she was very unhappy at first, then clear out their home, and sell it. This year has to be less stressful! Surely. One can be positive ... lol. We are thinking we'll actually be able to go on a vacation for the first time in years. Hurrah! That said I am glad we were there to help them all as they've always been supportive of us. Valentine's Day is fast approaching and I will be missing my Dad.

And as for your house situation Gina, our daughter bought her first home last year and was getting terribly discouraged. The market was so hot and their first offers turned down, and the houses sold way over what I thought was reasonable. In the end they succeeded and I am relieved those two other deals fell through, as this is just better in every way ... location, price, layout etc. So hopefully this will be the case for you.

Have a grand day everyone!

This is why I love this thread...almost everyone has experienced these life pitfalls already and you know you are not alone and that eventually things will improve. PattyW your life sounds like mine... lost fil to cancer Christmas Eve 2016, and then my Dad to Alzheimer's on Valentine's Day 2017. Nasty diseases both. They were in their 91st year and the years preceding their deaths were consumed with caring for them ... my Dad in particular as we kept him at home with us til almost the end ... while working full time, but my husband went to every one of his Dad's chemo/medical appointments, did all the groceries etc etc for his parents, as well as supporting me in my care of my Dad obvi, since he was living with us. Then we had to get mil into long term care, which is no small feat in Ontario, and she was very unhappy at first, then clear out their home, and sell it. This year has to be less stressful! Surely. One can be positive ... lol. We are thinking we'll actually be able to go on a vacation for the first time in years. Hurrah! That said I am glad we were there to help them all as they've always been supportive of us. Valentine's Day is fast approaching and I will be missing my Dad.

And as for your house situation Gina, our daughter bought her first home last year and was getting terribly discouraged. The market was so hot and their first offers turned down, and the houses sold way over what I thought was reasonable. In the end they succeeded and I am relieved those two other deals fell through, as this is just better in every way ... location, price, layout etc. So hopefully this will be the case for you.

:hug: I know just how you're feeling!

Yes, I agree. The bonus to this thread is the sense of friendship we feel towards each other!

Would love to hear about this- is it a food or drink??? I think Gina needs a few of these after her bad news!

!
It’s a really awesome dessert. Pretty simple to make just a bunch of layers. If you google you will find recipes.

@Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina i just scanned the last couple of pages. Sorry to hear about the house. Everything happens the way it is meant to....so that was not meant to be your house. The right one will come along. I will make sure to have many cocktails for you tonight!

That sucks about the house and the seller. A lot of people think with a good market (though I don't know if it's rebounded in MI like it has in Seattle, cause it hasn't in NC) or even without a good market that their house should be worth x and they should get xx when selling it and then don't understand when it appraises different. Whether it's what they've put in or sentimental reasons you can't just pick your price despite what he thinks. Thankfully the appraisal saved you guys and you'll find an even better place with awesome neighbors. Just think, this could be saving you from the worst neighbors ever too :)

I'm in the process of having the management company paint and prepare my house for new tenants because the last ones moved out last month after two years. Hoping it doesn't take long and that I get a good option from the start. The last time I had to turn down the first applicants because I wasn't confident they could actually pay each month. Sucks to do but until the market rebounds in NC I want to actually make money not have to evict, which I've also done once when they guy decided to move out.

I would much rather be in your place and house hunting. Once you have both worked through the disappointment you get the fun (at least to me) of house hunting and you can take everything you learned from the first go around.

My friend and I are doing our Paris trip planning tomorrow. I just looked and we're under 100 days at 98 til we leave and 99 until we're at Disneyland Paris. I also bought an AP last night before the prices go up Sunday so I'm ready for WDW in Nov and a yet to be determined trip next year.

I've just found this Gina and read all the way through whilst snuggled on the sofa as the rain pours down outside.

What a rubbish start to 2018 :( I'm sure things will improve from here on in but in the meantime :grouphug:

My parents gave me a VERY generous birthday gift and paid for me to join them and one of my sisters on a cruise this September. It’s a 12 day British Isles cruise ... all expenses paid. I just need to bring spending money. So I do have that to look forward to.

I live in the UK so please feel free to ask if you or your family need any advice.

Our dates for 2019 are dependent upon when my cousin sets his wedding date. They live in Miami, so we will do the wedding first and then drive back up to Orlando. All I know right now is Spring, 2019. That could seriously mean anything.

Oh no. I'm so sorry Gina. :sad::sad: Happy thoughts for you that you'll find another home that is even more adorable and with a less prickly seller.

Well, may I suggest to your cousin that the first week of May is simply a lovely time to get married? :flower3: No pressure, of course ;).

And thank you, Ruthie. It's been a discouraging process so far. Definitely a sellers market here, so really good properties go fast and often for big $$$.

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear about the house, that's so disappointing. Definitely sounds like it's been a tough year for you so far. I hope things start to turn around soon and that you'll find a house that's even more perfect for you.

Thank you. I'm ready to get out of this winter funk and have a much more uplifting spring.

So sorry to hear this Gina. We had a home deal fall apart many years ago and later realized it was for the best. The seller drew a ridiculous line in the sand, we walked away and went in a completely different direction, and his realtor ended up contacting us about four months later to let us know he'd agree to our terms. By then we'd already found the house of our dreams. Keep the faith. Maybe this wasn't meant to be, as disappointing as that is right now.

Oh, I know :guilty:. It's good advice that everyone is echoing. I need to take it to heart, for sure.

So sorry about the seller being a butt.

Thanks. Steve has referred to him with the same term (almost) more than once during this process LOL.

That is so disappointing but it's good the appraisal showed something instead of you being stuck with huge bills later on.

The appraisal didn't show any deficiencies in the property itself (those were identified during the inspection, which by some miracle the seller didn't protest and agreed to remedy). The appraisal issue came into play when the appraisal company disagreed with the fair market value of the condo. I'll have more details on that later, so stay tuned (though I know you are enjoying the Florida sun as I type this!! :sunny:).

Wonder if they have Sex in a Pan? Who’s had that? Raise your hand.

Doesn't that have cream cheese in it? If so, I'm out :sick:.

Now, the Cookie Nookie Pie, on the other hand....:rolleyes1.

So sorry to hear about the deal falling through. I too have had this happen on a house only four blocks away from my current home. You have no idea how much happier I am with my current home than the one that fell through; think about this every time I walk past it on our weekend excursions. I know you are believer in Karma. She's just telling you that you are ready - now go out and find the really RIGHT place for you.

And I have to ask where you find these amazing kitty pictures? As a cat person, I am in love with all of them, but I am generally too busy watching funny cat videos on YouTube to go looking for something like this. That is the most bummed out kitty I have ever seen!

Thanks Munro. I hope you are right.

Google Images provides me with an unending supply of cat photos to match my wide variety of moods :blush:. I might be just a tad bit addicted to cat memes :o.

This was my morning funny, though I shouldn't laugh too much when its hitting rather close to home these days :rolleyes2.

when-your-winter-body-gets-a-little-too-wintery-oynas-9642514.png

I've had it "On the Beach" (drink). I wonder if a pan would help keep the sand out?

Mmmmm......what is in this drink that you speak of?

Sorry to hear you had more bad news. It is hard when your plans end up turned upside down and heading in the wrong direction. Hope you find somewhere else and get settled soon!

Thank you!

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear about the house

Me too. Just when we were readying to toast our new life milestone, too. Sigh.

Would love to hear about this- is it a food or drink??? I think Gina needs a few of these after her bad news!

I love the cat pictures you post, too!! Yes, please share where I can find them.

Keep strong, Gina! I know it's been a bad few months, but it will get better. I think late 2016-early 2017 was one of those times for me. We lost both my father-in-law and dad and then had to try to help my mom get her life back together after it fell to pieces! With the help of family and friends we struggled through and we're here!! I do have to say it's brought our family closer as we had to lean on each other!

Yup, it does seem like its all or nothing with this kind of crap, isn't it?? And I'm grateful, despite all the disappointments, that its all fixable stuff and not a loss of people we love (we had a couple of those years, too......in 2010, I lost a 45 year old cousin, my dad, my grandmother, and steve's grandmother within 6 weeks. So that put this house crap into perspective right there).

That sucks about the house and the seller. A lot of people think with a good market (though I don't know if it's rebounded in MI like it has in Seattle, cause it hasn't in NC) or even without a good market that their house should be worth x and they should get xx when selling it and then don't understand when it appraises different. Whether it's what they've put in or sentimental reasons you can't just pick your price despite what he thinks. Thankfully the appraisal saved you guys and you'll find an even better place with awesome neighbors. Just think, this could be saving you from the worst neighbors ever too :)

I'm in the process of having the management company paint and prepare my house for new tenants because the last ones moved out last month after two years. Hoping it doesn't take long and that I get a good option from the start. The last time I had to turn down the first applicants because I wasn't confident they could actually pay each month. Sucks to do but until the market rebounds in NC I want to actually make money not have to evict, which I've also done once when they guy decided to move out.

I would much rather be in your place and house hunting. Once you have both worked through the disappointment you get the fun (at least to me) of house hunting and you can take everything you learned from the first go around.

My friend and I are doing our Paris trip planning tomorrow. I just looked and we're under 100 days at 98 til we leave and 99 until we're at Disneyland Paris. I also bought an AP last night before the prices go up Sunday so I'm ready for WDW in Nov and a yet to be determined trip next year.

Honestly, I haven't found the house hunting enjoyable AT ALL. It's been frustrating, disappointing, and exceptionally discouraging for the most part. Good properties go fast and in often in bidding wars (that's how we lost the first condo we fell in love with). Affordable properties need extensive upgrades and renos (which we really don't have the time or interest in doing). We have quite bulky furniture which has made a few properties a bad fit (pun not intended but rather appropriate nonetheless), including a lovely new build community where we couldn't squeeze our bedroom furniture into the master. I never considered us picky people, but I guess we really are :confused3.

I actually have an update on the appraisal issues, so I'll be back to post later with more details.

I've just found this Gina and read all the way through whilst snuggled on the sofa as the rain pours down outside.

What a rubbish start to 2018 :( I'm sure things will improve from here on in but in the meantime :grouphug:

Thanks iona. Great to have you back and joining in!!

Sorry to hear your weather is so stinky. We're on day 2 of a winter storm here in SE Michigan. 8.5 inches yesterday (22 cm), with more snow in the forecast for both today and tomorrow (another 5 inches or more is scheduled to fall by the end of Sunday, on top of what's already on the ground). This was my back patio at 7:30 am this morning:

27751739_10156503623016416_8896615849275559352_n.jpg

I hope the weather improves for BOTH of us!!

I can't thank you guys enough for the kindness and support you all consistently show :grouphug: .... not only to me, but to EVERYONE here on my thread. You all really are a bunch of wonderful, amazing people, and I'm grateful for the friendship of each of you! :goodvibes

I am sure everything will work out for us as it ultimately supposed to.....for the house, and for everything. I'm just horribly impatient :blush:. I have often said that God is working very hard to teach this stubborn girl patience, so perhaps this is just another "lesson".

Sorry to hear your weather is so stinky. We're on day 2 of a winter storm here in SE Michigan. 8.5 inches yesterday (22 cm), with more snow in the forecast for both today and tomorrow (another 5 inches or more is scheduled to fall by the end of Sunday, on top of what's already on the ground). This was my back patio at 7:30 am this mornin

I think I'll stick with the rain! Give us six inches of snow in this country and pretty much everything stops working!

Sorry to hear your weather is so stinky. We're on day 2 of a winter storm here in SE Michigan. 8.5 inches yesterday (22 cm), with more snow in the forecast for both today and tomorrow (another 5 inches or more is scheduled to fall by the end of Sunday, on top of what's already on the ground). This was my back patio at 7:30 am this morning:

I hope the weather improves for BOTH of us!!

Blech! That is never any fun. Hopefully it stops soon

Ahhh who is this seller? Does he not know that now all of Gina's followers are sending him bad karma? If I was talented I would post some sort of funny cat mafia-esque meme. So picture your own"here"

No cruise dates here. DH doesn't like to plan that far ahead (no concept of a countdown) and he is still thinking DCL will be like the Carnival trip we once were trapped on. True story because of rough seas we could only disembark once on 7 night cruise. The whole ship smelled of trash by the time we got to Jamaica and like ganja when we left. When your server says "do not order" because the food is nasty it's bad.

Best wishes and a hug my friend.

I think I'll stick with the rain! Give us six inches of snow in this country and pretty much everything stops working!

See, that's my philosophy too: if its snowing, just cancel everything and wait until its over. I hate, hate, HATE driving in the winter, and could easily take a cue from the bears and just hibernate from October to April :p .

Blech! That is never any fun. Hopefully it stops soon

Unfortunately, it sounds as if the first non-snow day for us is going to be Monday. Tomorrow looks to be shaping up as a movie and games day in our jammies while we wait out the end of the foul weather. Then possibly rain by Thursday :eek: . If we get rain AND all this snow melting all at once, its gonna be soupy out there!!

Ahhh who is this seller? Does he not know that now all of Gina's followers are sending him bad karma? If I was talented I would post some sort of funny cat mafia-esque meme. So picture your own"here"

No cruise dates here. DH doesn't like to plan that far ahead (no concept of a countdown) and he is still thinking DCL will be like the Carnival trip we once were trapped on. True story because of rough seas we could only disembark once on 7 night cruise. The whole ship smelled of trash by the time we got to Jamaica and like ganja when we left. When your server says "do not order" because the food is nasty it's bad.

Best wishes and a hug my friend.

Oh, I can deliver on some cat mafia memes!!! :rotfl:

2d985f78d86a8bc7aea65d5e2ab7fd76--cats-humor-cat-memes.jpg

7225.jpg

cat-mafia.jpg

Seriously, what did we every do without the internet?!?! :rotfl2:

I can appreciate your hubby's reluctance to book after that kind of a negative experience. Once bitten, twice shy ::yes::.

And thanks for the hug :hug:. I'll glady take 'em!

A few updates for y'all.....both trip-related and personal.

I got an email from Frontier yesterday letting us know that our flight times had changed slightly, both coming and going. I was quite pleased to see that we now get there an hour earlier on our Friday arrival (landing just before 5 pm rather than almost 6 pm), but was a little bummed that we also now leave one hour earlier on our departure day (meaning we have to get our lazy butts out of bed at a fairly early hour). On the plus side, we'll be back in metro Detroit just after 1 pm on the day we come home, which is actually kind of nice. We can get the luggage unpacked, have time to get groceries, and spend some time with the two fur balls before hitting the sack nice and early that night.

Of course, those flight time changes are just enough to foul up my car rental pick up and drop off times :rolleyes2. I plan to fiddle around with rates tomorrow to see if I can make the adjustments to our existing reservations. If not, I'll have to cancel and re-book.

Steve and I were chatting today about the trip (this yucky winter weather makes us both yearn for some Florida sunshine! :sunny:), and I think we've decided to cancel our Discovery Cove cabana and add on the upgraded drink package to our DC day instead. We're really not thinking that we'll get the value out of the cabana for just the two of us (more than likely, we'll spend the lions share of the day lounging in the Freshwater Oasis or floating along the lazy river), but the upgraded drinks sound right up our alley :drinking1. I'm a sangria girl (especially if is a red variety) and Steve loves his rum, both of which are available with the upgrade. Neither of us are big beer drinkers (I hate the stuff) and we can take or leave wine, both of which make up the lions share of the standard drink offerings. We'll end up getting more value for our money with the switcheroo and a refund to boot (the cabana is $225 plus tax, while the upgraded drink package is $30 per person plus tax). They have also finally released prices for Aquatica cabanas for our May dates (which are an absolute must....we've never been to AQ without one!!) so hopefully I can book that upgrade on the same phone call. I'm going to try and make those adjustments tomorrow, since we'll likely be snowed in and staying put anyway.

And now, some more info and updates on our condo purchase. I guess, if we're looking on the bright side, the deal is not 100% dead.....though its not in a good position, either.

While the seller has been difficult and uncooperative during this whole process (he's an investor and has absolutely no 'personal' connection to this property.....he never lived in the condo and has essentially renovated and flipped it for a tidy profit, with a brief rental in between), this latest snag is not his doing. The current issue lies solely at the feet of the appraiser, who has valued the property unusually (and, it appears, erroneously) low. Low enough that it is causing an issue with our financing. The appraiser, for whatever reason, did not factor in the two most recent sales on units in the same community with identical floor plans (both of which were very close in sale price to our offer), he did not factor in market growth (which has seen a 12% increase in the past year) and he didn't factor in value-added upgrades to the unit by the seller (granite counter tops, upgraded flooring throughout, a new guest bathroom, new stainless steel appliances, etc.). Instead, he used comparibles that seemed to make little sense, evening using the sale price of a distressed property as a basis for his evaluation :confused:. So, after reviewing the appraisal report in greater detail, our realtor has swung into action on our behalf and submitted a request for reconsideration on our behalf with a host of supporting documentation to substantiate our position. She's been honest with us....apparently she's challenged several appraisals in the past, with success in 50% of the cases and no luck in the remainder....so what will happen from here is quite up in the air. We are hoping to get a response from the appraiser sometime this week, but for now.....we wait. I am bouncing back and forth between wanting to be hopeful and not wanting to get my hopes up only to be disappointed. In the meantime, if anyone wants to throw a prayer or two my way (or, if you're not a praying kind of person, I'll take crossed fingers and toes or anything else you do for luck!) we would certainly be grateful for those good vibes. There is literally nothing else right now on the market that appeals, and when we've already invested a decent amount into this property ($525 for the appraisal, $355 for the inspection, $100 for the condo association documents, etc. etc. etc.) I'm praying that the appraiser will reconsider his valuation. It's literally the only remaining hurdle that we need to clear.
The countdown to Orlando currently sits at 83 days :hourglass.

I hope you all are enjoying a good weekend, wherever you happen to be :goodvibes.

I'll definitely be sending prayers, good thoughts, and pixie dust your way regarding the house!

Sending good thoughts your way Gina. It sounds like this appraiser didn’t do their research properly. Hopefully he/she will reconsider.

It does sound like your appraiser was rather lazy - I'll pray that they're humble enough to consiider the evidence provided by your realtor.

I think I'd rather have an extra hour on arrival day even though it does mean losing one on departure day - the last day's always just a sad countdown to going home for me no matter how fun we try to make it. Hopefully you'll be able to get a good car rental deal with the changed times.

Mmmmm......what is in this drink that you speak of?

Whaaaat? You haven't had "it" yet? I strongly suggest this for your next fruity concoction at the Tacky Tiki. Just so I can imagine you keeping a straight face while ordering.

There are a few recipes out there. This is closest one to how I would make it back in my bartending days, although I would up the vodka, and less schnapps:

http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/151656/sex-on-the-beach

Cat wants in...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter