Allergic to Urban Decay Naked 3 eyeshadow palette - other options?

Mrs. Ciz

DIS Veteran
For Christmas DD asked for and received the Urban Decay Naked 3 eye shadow palette. She absolutely LOVES it, but it does not love her back. She is allergic to some ingredient in the eye shadows (carmine or bismuth most likely). Her eyelids swelled up, got all red, itchy and scaly. She didn't want to believe it was from the eyeshadow, but that is the only new thing she's been putting on her face, and the reaction gets better when she stays off the UD eyeshadow. Since it was a Christmas gift, I told her I will replace the UD palette with another that she can actually use.

Now she is on the hunt for a new palette that has similar colors to Naked 3 but is hypoallergenic. Do any of you have recommendations or personal favorites? Thanks for sharing.

MAC is great makeup. I'm not a huge fan of palettes unless I can make them myself. Mac sells the eye shadow disks that fit into a large palette.

You can add a few at a time. Need to purchase online or a Mac store, last I knew they did not carry in Macy's or Nordstrom

The colors are great and long lasting wear

Wow, that's tough. I have very sensitive skin and have to be so careful with eyeshadows. Urban Decay is just about the only brand I use.

I also like the shadow from Anastasia Beverly Hills. Their colors are neutral like the Urban Decay. I did check the ingredients and see that they have carmine in them also, but they don't appear to have bismuth.

My next suggestion would be the Laura Gellar brand. They don't seem to use bismuth and not all of their colors have carmine.

So she's not usually allergic to eyeshadow? I had the same problem, tried several different brands with the same results and gave up on wearing eyeshadow until I discovered eyeshadow sticks, I think most major brands have them and they are so much easier to apply, it's just like drawing on your eyeshadow with a soft crayon and then you can just blend it with your finger.

So she's not usually allergic to eyeshadow? I had the same problem, tried several different brands with the same results and gave up on wearing eyeshadow until I discovered eyeshadow sticks, I think most major brands have them and they are so much easier to apply, it's just like drawing on your eyeshadow with a soft crayon and then you can just blend it with your finger.
This is the first allergic reaction she’s had to eyeshadow since she started using it 5 years ago. I like one of the suggestions below about sticking with brands she knows she tolerates well. Shadow sticks are another good idea. Thanks.

I have never tried their eye shadow. I just don't see many ladies who wear eye shadow anymore. I may have to give it a try. I love the Urban cay line. I loved a lip stick and then they stopped making it. Seems like when you find something they change it up and /or stop making it. You might be able to find the same color unused from etsy or someplace.

I was going to suggest Tarte, and I notice several other people have already mentioned it. I also have better luck with Bare Minerals than most other brands, though I haven't had problems with Urban Decay either (it is mostly drugstore brands I've had issues with), and I picked up their Nudes palette at Ulta and like it just as well as DD's UD Naked3 palette.

https://tartecosmetics.com/en_US/co...telette-amazonian-clay-matte-palette/607.html

This one by Tarte is a serious contender (she loves the colors) except that half the shades have carmine in them. No bismuth though. I'm not sure if she's allergic to the carmine or the bismuth at this point. I'm a little hesitant to pull the trigger on it.
I am a big palette collector and always check them out so I have many ideas for you. What brands does she like or currently use?

I am a big palette collector and always check them out so I have many ideas for you. What brands does she like or currently use?
I need to ask her what she has in her bag these days. She's had an Ipsy subscription for a couple of years, so I suspect she has a hodgepodge of brands and a few drug store L'oreal eye shadows. I've been looking at L'oreal and Lancome palettes. I also found this brand when I googled "allergic to Naked 3." https://www.coastalscents.com/collections/makeup-eyes-eye-palettes/products/revealed-2
I think the ingredients will work for her, and the colors are very similar to Naked 3. I've never heard of Coastal Scents before, but the reviews seem good. Has anyone here used them?

I need to ask her what she has in her bag these days. She's had an Ipsy subscription for a couple of years, so I suspect she has a hodgepodge of brands and a few drug store Loreal eye shadows.
If she has had IPSY for a while she probably has some eye shadow from the brand "Coastal Scents". They make a nice nude palette. I can't remember the name though... I think it's like "Revived" or "Revealed" (something like that).

If she has had IPSY for a while she probably has some eye shadow from the brand "Coastal Scents". They make a nice nude palette. I can't remember the name though... I think it's like "Revived" or "Revealed" (something like that).
OMG - I was editing and you were typing at the same exact time about Coastal Scents!!! Too funny! I think that may be what we go with - Revealed 2. Thank you so much!

Try Makeup Revolution (can buy online or at Ulta) Iconic 3 palette. It is an exact color dupe for the Naked 3 palette. It’s vegan so it won’t have carmine in it.

They’re a drugstore priced brand so the packaging isn’t as nice as mid-range brands like urban decay, but if she really likes the colors it may be worth the trade-off.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter