Allergic to Urban Decay Naked 3 eyeshadow palette - other options?

I need to ask her what she has in her bag these days. She's had an Ipsy subscription for a couple of years, so I suspect she has a hodgepodge of brands and a few drug store L'oreal eye shadows. I've been looking at L'oreal and Lancome palettes. I also found this brand when I googled "allergic to Naked 3." https://www.coastalscents.com/collections/makeup-eyes-eye-palettes/products/revealed-2
I think the ingredients will work for her, and the colors are very similar to Naked 3. I've never heard of Coastal Scents before, but the reviews seem good. Has anyone here used them?

Coastal Scents is alright. They are hit and miss. Some of the shades in the Revealed palettes are quite powdery and patchy but definitely workable.

https://tartecosmetics.com/en_US/co...telette-amazonian-clay-matte-palette/607.html

This one by Tarte is a serious contender (she loves the colors) except that half the shades have carmine in them. No bismuth though. I'm not sure if she's allergic to the carmine or the bismuth at this point. I'm a little hesitant to pull the trigger on it.

Look for vegan palettes. They won’t have Carmine in them.

Also if you buy from Ulta or Sephora, if she has a reaction you can return it. Both stores have pretty liberal return policies :)

Last edited:
I’ve gotten Coastal Scents shadows in subscription boxes, and wasn’t at all impressed with the quality. Poor color payoff, patchy, and they don’t last long on the eye. I’d also hesitate to recommend made-in-China cosmetics to anyone with ingredient sensitivities. What’s in the ingredient list on the label doesn’t always match what’s in the product.

Too Faced Chocolate Bar palettes have been one of my new go-tos, but I don't have any issues with urban decay.

I'd visit a Sephora and have them test the product on her before committing to another purchase.

Does it have to be a department store brand? Almay is hypoallergenic http://www.almay.com/products/eyes/eyeshadow/almay-palette-pops.aspx

Due to my sensitivities, I always try to make an Almay or Physician's Formula product work (eyeshadow, eyeliner, shadows especially). My impression though is that they are always a really inferior to the higher priced brands. I do give them a try because you can get lucky sometimes on a "drugstore" brand. My favorite concealer is a Sonia Kushiak (Target) product.

Coastal Scents is alright. They are hit and miss. Some of the shades in the Revealed palettes are quite powdery and patchy but definitely workable.

Look for vegan palettes. They won’t have Carmine in them.

Also if you buy from Ulta or Sephora, if she has a reaction you can return it. Both stores have pretty liberal return policies :)

I’ve gotten Coastal Scents shadows in subscription boxes, and wasn’t at all impressed with the quality. Poor color payoff, patchy, and they don’t last long on the eye. I’d also hesitate to recommend made-in-China cosmetics to anyone with ingredient sensitivities. What’s in the ingredient list on the label doesn’t always match what’s in the product.
I've never noticed those issues. Maybe I just don't use them enough to notice. I have so much eyeshadow and use the same seven colors with regularity. :rotfl:

I've never noticed those issues. Maybe I just don't use them enough to notice. I have so much eyeshadow and use the same seven colors with regularity. :rotfl:

It’s mostly the mattes, especially the darker leanining ones that have this issues (though maybe the lighter ones do too but it’s harder to tell because of my skin tone). The shimmers are fine, but it’s pretty hard to have crappy shimmer shades lol.

It’s so easy to get into a signature or everyday look. I’ve been getting rid of palettes like crazy hoping I’ll stop grabbing for the same shade everyday. I’m starting to think I should just give up and keep just my huge pan of red that I wear every dang day haha.

What’s your fave? Makeup addicts curiousity ;)

It’s mostly the mattes, especially the darker leanining ones that have this issues (though maybe the lighter ones do too but it’s harder to tell because of my skin tone). The shimmers are fine, but it’s pretty hard to have crappy shimmer shades lol.

It’s so easy to get into a signature or everyday look. I’ve been getting rid of palettes like crazy hoping I’ll stop grabbing for the same shade everyday. I’m starting to think I should just give up and keep just my huge pan of red that I wear every dang day haha.

What’s your fave? Makeup addicts curiousity ;)
Yeah I rarely use the matte shades(a main reason why I haven't bought any of the NAKED palettes, I'd only use like 1/2 of it).
I use Tarte's "Don't Quit Your Daydream" and "Leave Your Mark" the most. They're not that different but I like the orange-y shades in the "Daydream" one. They make my green eyes pop. I use Too Faced "Boudoir Eyes" if I'm going for more. I've actually stopped buying Too Faced in the last year or two because I have been really unhappy with their products lately.

I have so many palettes and eye shadows that rarely get used. I just like the pretty colors and choices, I'm like Gollum :rotfl:

Wow, all I use is matte shades. I used to never use them when I was younger but shimmers don't seem to do well on aging eyes! My daughter who is 26 uses shimmer and it looks so great. I'm jealous.

Wow, all I use is matte shades. I used to never use them when I was younger but shimmers don't seem to do well on aging eyes! My daughter who is 26 uses shimmer and it looks so great. I'm jealous.
Same here. The Tarte Amazonian Clay Matte palette posted earlier is my absolute favorite.

Arrrrgggggg!!!! Op here again, I ordered the Coastal Scents palette for DD after checking the ingredient list carefully. She got is yesterday, used it last night and woke up with her eyes almost swollen shut. It obviously is not going to work. I'm going to order the Almay palette next I think. She has been using a L'Oreal silver colored shadow, her eyeliner and mascara without any problems at all. So I may also look at a L'Oreal nude palette. This is getting kind of expensive though. She currently has $75 worth of eyeshadow palettes she cannot use.

I used to use Mary Kay make up, and I started getting itchy, puffy eyelids. It was when I first started spending decent money on makeup, and I was so upset that the priciest makeup I had bought caused such a terrible reaction. I had to completely stop wearing makeup for awhile, which was really bad because I worked in a bank, but I had to clear up my burning eyelids. I decided to have a consult at Clinique, and the woman helping me mentioned it might be the purple or pink in the eyeshadow I was using. I got a pallet that didn't have pinks or purples and then could wear makeup again. After several months, I tried the Mary Kay eyeshadow again, just to see, and sure enough, I was on FIRE!!! UGH! I threw it away, and cried a little. It did take me years to realize what crap makeup Mary Kay is. Everything I tried, every type of product, every color, has caused some sort of reaction.

DD15 is the makeup guru in our house. She loves the Urban Decay palettes. She also really loves Anastasia and Morph, seriously, for Christmas she wanted makeup pallets as her "Big" gift.
I prefer Bare Minerals.

Someone already mentioned it, but I want to reiterate that Ulta and Sephora have amazing return policies. I have some crazy allergies and what I have found is that if you buy it from them and have a reaction you can return it to them easily. Also, I found out the hard way that hypo-allergenic just means that it is unlikely to cause a reaction, not impossible. Depending upon what exactly is causing the reaction, I would approaching mineral makeups with caution. Tarte and Dior have become my go to makeup companies for eyeshadow. Hope you find something that she likes and can actually wear soon!!

Someone already mentioned it, but I want to reiterate that Ulta and Sephora have amazing return policies. I have some crazy allergies and what I have found is that if you buy it from them and have a reaction you can return it to them easily. Also, I found out the hard way that hypo-allergenic just means that it is unlikely to cause a reaction, not impossible. Depending upon what exactly is causing the reaction, I would approaching mineral makeups with caution. Tarte and Dior have become my go to makeup companies for eyeshadow. Hope you find something that she likes and can actually wear soon!!
I bought the Urban Decay palette straight from the Urban Decay website and Coastal Scents from their website. I’ll have to check their return policies.

OP, yes, take a look at Tarte. I just pulled up one of their palettes that is neutral and I'm not seeing the offending ingredients in them.

http://tartecosmetics.com/en_US/mak...hadow-palettes&dwvar_1119_color=multi#start=4

Tarte is excellent and also vegan. Very natural ingredients and currently the only make up I have found that doesn't hate me back. I have very sensitive skin and most products give me a rash. So far everything I've ordered from Tarte is great. You can buy it in Sephora but online Tarte website has very good sales.

I can't use any makeup brand - even created by dermatologists - without having a skin reaction. So while that's not what you want to hear, be relieved if you can use anything else at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!