Am I stupid for NOT making a request?

AmyM

<font color=blue>Things sometimes get better the s
OK...I realize it is getting late at night and I should probably go to bed and NOT worry about my vacation in 5 days....BUT!!! I have owned DVC for 5 years, visited for at least 10 times and not requested room location. I agree some locations are better than others and I have been presently surprised with some locations.

After reading these boards, some of the rooms locations I have had (BWV standard view, end of hall) are NOT liked by many owners. I agree some locations are better (I think our best has been 1st floor quiet pool at BC), but I don't request.

Maybe I'm pessimistic, but I feel the room assigners are overwhelmed and can't make everyone's request happen. I'm just soooo happy to be at the World that I don't sweat the small stuff.

I'm not sure what to do, my DH would like BWV quiet pool view on the wing that separates quite and main pool. I think that is just a lot to ask for. I have posted a question about this a couple weeks ago.

I feel Disney is about Disney...WHO CARES WHERE YOU SLEEP!!!

I used to stress about the requests for certain views like the quiet pool but have not received my requests the past 3 times we visited. At first I was upset but DH quickly reminded me that we were at WDW and there was no reason to be unhappy!! Once I really thought about it, it really didn't matter. Now the only thing that I will request is non-smoking for health reasons. JMHO Annmarie

I don't think you're stupid at all. I have also never made any requests (besides non-smoking and needing a bathtub) and I have never been dissatisfied with my room. Actually, I have gotten some really great rooms with this plan (or is it a lack of a plan :rotfl: ).

I feel that some people do go overboard with requests. Everyone wants a high floor, next to an elevator, water view, etc. and not everyone can have it. I'm also just happy to be in "the world" and let the little stuff just float away...

Have a great time on your trip. I still have over 2 months to go for my next one.

1) First, VERY FEW rooms are advance-assigned.
2) Arrive early, and you have a good chance at a good room location.

NOTE: It is a sheer myth that all rooms are assigned in advance. In special cases, rooms are blocked (positively assigned). Other than that, rooms may be assigned due to high bookings and capacity. However, you can EASILY change to other "assigned" rooms if you check-in early.

We are going in Dec and only requested non-smoking for health reasons. Granted, we did book boardwalk view at BWV, but I didn't bother with close to the elevators, specific floors, etc. In all of our WDW stays (pre-DVC) I have only requested non-smoking (and got it every time BTW) and was always happy with our location. I don't stress about stuff like that though.

We don't ask for views or location specifically because non-smoking is sooooo important to us! We also as for a regular room (I'd really rather not have a HA room). If those two needs are met - I'm happy. I'm afraid if I pile of the requests - the 2 that are the most important to me might get lost in the shuffle!
Now, granted - I haven't had a room I haven't liked - so maybe down the road I'll get more picky after I've had to live with an elevator waking me up at 2am, or a dumpster view with my coffee! :flower:

We always make one request - non-smoking

Everything else we leave to chance and have not had a major issue yet by doing this

Having said, that I agree with proir advice on checking in early - also, there is nothing wrong with putting requests in, just do not adjust expectations as to the room you will get - this way you will always be pleasantly surprised if you get the additional requests met

Cheers
jaysue

DisneyHumbug said:
I always request non-smoking. I'd rather be surprised than disappointed!

Yep, us too. This is the only thing that I must have. Now, that being said, I will make requests depending on who is travelling with me.

I request when I travel with mother (because she can't do the steps) - it is first floor near the bus stop

when she is not there I request highest floor water view.

I blame DVC for showing me what a lovely room that oKW has.....

my first stay was first floor golf view building 26. I was happy with it and though it was fine. next time I tried to get the same building. but I got building 18 - WOW!!!

what a different!!! it was lovely!!!

now if DVC had never showed me what a lovely room they had I would have been satified with anything. after seeing the best it is hard to take the worst.

I only get the worst when I am with mother - because they are on the first floor. I have seem every air conditioned unit at OKW by now!!!

some of the views in the first floor are pretty nice - but even the good view still have the air conditioner units....

oh well the good with the bad. :rolleyes: :goodvibes

I joined in 93 and I was encouraged to request first in those days. DVC has changed their policy - too many people now request in those days they didn't.

They make non-smoking a request so that is one we make. Also no stairs (wheelchair does not like them). Other than that we are just happy to be home!

AmyM said:
OK...I realize it is getting late at night and I should probably go to bed and NOT worry about my vacation in 5 days....BUT!!! I have owned DVC for 5 years, visited for at least 10 times and not requested room location. I agree some locations are better than others and I have been presently surprised with some locations.

After reading these boards, some of the rooms locations I have had (BWV standard view, end of hall) are NOT liked by many owners. I agree some locations are better (I think our best has been 1st floor quiet pool at BC), but I don't request.

Maybe I'm pessimistic, but I feel the room assigners are overwhelmed and can't make everyone's request happen. I'm just soooo happy to be at the World that I don't sweat the small stuff.

I'm not sure what to do, my DH would like BWV quiet pool view on the wing that separates quite and main pool. I think that is just a lot to ask for. I have posted a question about this a couple weeks ago.

I feel Disney is about Disney...WHO CARES WHERE YOU SLEEP!!!

I wish there was a pill to be like that -- and not cause drowsiness or dizzyness.

I think (OK who am I kidding), I KNOW I have gotten much more laid back about things like room location. We have been to Disney several times and I don't care where the room is, you can find something good or bad about it. Why focus on the negative? I have been in some great room locations that I wouldn't have known about if I didn't let the room assigners put me there. We will be checking in to the BW early (transfering from the Poly), so I think I'll say something like "Out of the rooms available which location would you suggest?" But really...I have learned to be happy with whatever :flower:

We never get any of our requests anyway (except non-smoking) so I don't bother. And, we always are there by 10:30 a.m. :confused3

We've never requested location...only non smoking. Never had a complaint with where we were assigned, but I'm very laid back about that type of thing.

We always request non smoking for medical reasons. We don't request a specific location unless we're at Vero and then it's a generic "top floor".

We've had some rooms we liked better than others, but even a less than stellar location at WDW is better than no WDW at all!!!

We too only request non-smoking for medical reasons and take our chances. We have never been so disappointed we couldn't stay where we were placed. Most of our disappointments had to do with neighboring guests rather than what we were assigned.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter