Am I the only one underwhelmed by Riviera?

That's a pretty big stretch to me and not something I would personally consider as an amenity of the resort. When I stay at BCV the main check in is at the beach club resort, as is bell services, so I consider that lobby just as much a part of BCV as the BCV lobby itself when I think of the overall amenities and feel of the resort. Since RIV has these things self-contained I don't stretch that thinking to CBR just because you can use their lobby and other facilities, I can use all of the resort lobbies after all, and any of the pools on the pool hopping list if available. I do agree that CBR being so close is a plus though as it opens up more options when staying at RIV, just like having the boardwalk close to the beach club is a plus to me.
Yeah its a very big stretch lol I wasn't really serious about it but I do kinda look at CBR being that close as a semi plus with Sebastian's Bistro.

Lol. Who’s comparing the hotel lobbies? I’m talking about dvc lobbies. Kidani? BRV? BCV? Incredible lobbies with soaring ceilings and insane levels of detail. The cost to build these lobbies was 10xs the cost to build the RIV lobby. Never mind the fact that these resorts also have access to the main lobbies on the regular hotel side. The RIV lobby is absolutely not on a par with other dvc lobbies. Even BLT has a more impressive lobby than RIV, and BLT has a meh lobby.

Not a lobby person, but I think RIV is much better than BLT.

My wife ran into a couple at the Riviera who had received their Riviera studio, preferred view, as a 'Free Upgrade.' They had already reserved a studio at Wildeness Lodge, but Disney contacted them and asked them if they wanted to stay at the Deluxe Riviera instead.

They were not happy. Once they had seen Riviera and been there a while, they were sure that they would have preferred their room at Wilderness Lodge, mostly because they didn't think Riviera competed well with Wilderness Lodge overall as a place to stay. They said, "Free Upgrade. Riiiight." And said they would never do it again.

I'd be willing to bet that Disney is having a bit of a problem renting Riviera for full price (I have seen lots of discount ads) and felt they would be more likely to be able to rent out the Wilderness Lodge studio for full price, so by getting the people to move from Wilderness Lodge to Riviera, Disney came out ahead.

Not a lobby person, but I think RIV is much better than BLT.
I probably agree, but of course it doesn’t matter with BLT as you have one of the biggest lobbies next door across the Skyway. RIV really needed a better lobby IMO given its stand alone nature.

The BLT lobby also has a high ceiling and the walls seem made of glass. Even if small from a surface area perspective, does not feel in the least humble or underwhelming in the sense of Riv.

And that's without considering that perhaps the most iconic large resort space at all of Disney is a few feet away

My wife ran into a couple at the Riviera who had received their Riviera studio, preferred view, as a 'Free Upgrade.' They had already reserved a studio at Wildeness Lodge, but Disney contacted them and asked them if they wanted to stay at the Deluxe Riviera instead.

They were not happy. Once they had seen Riviera and been there a while, they were sure that they would have preferred their room at Wilderness Lodge, mostly because they didn't think Riviera competed well with Wilderness Lodge overall as a place to stay. They said, "Free Upgrade. Riiiight." And said they would never do it again.

I'd be willing to bet that Disney is having a bit of a problem renting Riviera for full price (I have seen lots of discount ads) and felt they would be more likely to be able to rent out the Wilderness Lodge studio for full price, so by getting the people to move from Wilderness Lodge to Riviera, Disney came out ahead.

Again, this is personal preference and opinion. Are we supposed to be shocked that a family who literally wanted to stay in the "wilderness" was not happy with the more cosmopolitan and city-like resort? That Disney sold it as an upgrade is certainly questionable since it's a lateral move to a very different resort but it certainly can't be translated into the "everyone hates it" narrative.

I added on Copper Creek as my new resort instead of Riviera mostly because I felt it would be more relaxing and have more things to do with the family. I felt Riviera was offering a pretty decent deal and CC was expensive, but for my taste it CC seemed a better fit. I will add that the Riviera looks like a pretty spectacular resort with great access to EPCOT and Hollywood Studios. I've never visited, but plan on doing so in the near future. Pretty certain it will be a great resort and will sell fairly well.

I added on Copper Creek as my new resort instead of Riviera mostly because I felt it would be more relaxing and have more things to do with the family. I felt Riviera was offering a pretty decent deal and CC was expensive, but for my taste it CC seemed a better fit. I will add that the Riviera looks like a pretty spectacular resort with great access to EPCOT and Hollywood Studios. I've never visited, but plan on doing so in the near future. Pretty certain it will be a great resort and will sell fairly well.

I love Copper Creek, staying there in summer and so looking forward to it. There is no other resort with that atmosphere.

I love Copper Creek, staying there in summer and so looking forward to it. There is no other resort with that atmosphere.

The wife and I just stayed at CC 3 weeks ago, 1BR unit. It was excellent. I am a fan of BRV as well, but being in the main hotel room is better. Love the place. Probably should buy there, we have BCW and BLT as home bases, all direct points currently. I think we are going to wait to see what the deal is with Reflections, if not to our liking will buy CCV resale.

Last edited:
I just returned from a stay at BWV, my home resort. We went to dinner at Topolino's and the food was great. The skyliner is a great way to get to the parks. Those are really the only pros to me. The resort felt like a Hyatt hotel. I can't imagine spending a day at the pool there. It just does not have the Disney magic or theming. One can assume it was so much cheaper to build as it is on a small plot closer to the highway and the architecture is so cookie cutter. It is like one of those brand new spec homes in a new neighborhood compared to a beautiful older area. But to each his own. I would rather have theming than more granite any day.

After our 8 day stay with family...all adults..at BWV....we walked over hopped on the Skyliner and got off to look around RR....we walked into the food court area..can't recall name...grabbed some lunch...then went up to the lobby...wow I thought it a small area for the size of the resort,also the gift/food shop...we sat in the lobby for about 20 min.....went down got some coffee to go and sat out by the play area i would call it...
I also do not understand the view of the CBR...I imagine they might tear more of it down for a more appealing view to be determined...
We did enjoy the Skyliner tho....to each his own... 20 years of BWV and counting..

The wife and I just stayed at CC 3 weeks ago, 1BR unit. It was excellent. I am a fan of BRV as well, but being in the main hotel room is better. Love the place. Probably should buy there, we have BCW and BLT as home bases, all direct points currently. I think we are going to wait to see what the deal is with Reflections, if not to our liking will buy CCV resale.

Love BLT but it only works due to its location and the fact it’s a bolt on DVC to the Contemporary. That’s what makes it. It is very similar to Riv I thought in many ways, including a similar feel around the pool. The location is obviously second to none, and also it feels like part of Contemporary. Shows how location can make all the difference.
For me RIV would have been a different proposition as a stand-alone if built on its own land in lush landscaping with sweeping driveway, grander lobby as a stand alone etc- what I expected a hotel named Riviera to have. The piece of land it’s on is the biggest killer tor me. I remember in 2018 being very excited about it and going to Caribbean Beach to see it. My heart sank as soon as I saw the area it was being built on- so close to the road.
I have been thinking about it more and looking at the old concept art. What I think we got with RIV from my perspective is a bolt on style DVC like BLT etc on a small cheaper piece of land. Imagine if there had been a big Disney Hotel called the European or Monte Carlo, in its own grounds and RIV had been built exactly as it is now, attached to it? In that scenario I doubt anyone would have had anything bad to say- it would have been perfect. But instead I feel it’s a bolt on DVC without that essential constituent- the main hotel to bolt it onto. And whilst I quite like Caribbean Beach, a French themed hotel built basically right in Caribbean Beach just damaged the theming- substantially. I was stood next to the pool, French music, looking into Caribbean Beach!?
Remember when all the rumours were RIV was going to be the first moderate DVC? With moderate points per night? Due to the location? Then the rumours were it would have such opulence it would be the Grand Floridian of Epcot, and still charge a premium price.
I like most resorts. In their own way I absolutely love OKW and SSR, but they are different kind of resorts. Love WL, it’s very relaxing and unparalleled nighttime atmosphere. Boardwalk is my favourite.
One thing I do like about RIV aside from the fabulous room and those murals is the running opportunities around the lake.
Even though DVC sales are overall down, I still think RIV will sell fine though. The Skyliner advert as thousands funnel past it every day is a winner.

Last edited:
How about the original-original concept art for the Mediterranean resort- apparently it always was meant to be a rather basic large building.

I probably agree, but of course it doesn’t matter with BLT as you have one of the biggest lobbies next door across the Skyway. RIV really needed a better lobby IMO given its stand alone nature.

Good point! If someone likes to enjoy lobbies, it is a quick walk to the Contemporary.

Was the BLT lobby an afterthought? I vaguely recall needing to check-in at the Contemporary in the early days of BLT.

What makes DVC deluxe, IMO is the theming, location and WOW-factor. There's nothing about any DVC rooms anywhere that screams (or shouts) deluxe. I do love the WOW-factor of a great lobby and the experience of walking to our room when returning from a park.

The short walk around the BW from Epcot through the Village Green, the walk from the boat dock to VWL, even the Kidani lobby, monorail to walking through VGF/Poly lobbies - I miss that feeling of the grand lobby. Well designed common areas are a big plus to me.

Not every DVC resort has everything - park location, views, decent QS, fireworks, convenient parking, convenient transportation. The variety makes DVC unique and special IMO.

RR was touted as GF II, with a point chart to match. Looking forward to our stay in December, it was tough to decide to cut short BRV to try RR, but the Murphy instead of the sofa bed sealed the deal. Those old sofa beds are rough. Can't wait for the BRV refurbishment.

Imagine if there had been a big Disney Hotel called the European or Monte Carlo, in its own grounds and RIV had been built exactly as it is now, attached to it? In that scenario I doubt anyone would have had anything bad to say- it would have been perfect. But instead I feel it’s a bolt on DVC without that essential constituent- the main hotel to bolt it onto.

Well summaried. As a "side dish", Riviera is nicer than many other DVC properties. Certainly would have cost more to build than for example, PVB (cheap, cosmetic only, refurbishment. One of our favorite home resorts).

The difference is, the lukewarm teriyaki noodles (that are the PVB rooms) are part of the Ohana Feast. As such warranting Disney prices for our family. Riviera is more like ordering Fillet mignon on Mac n cheese... and nice pasta is served, with the steak missing.

Well summaried. As a "side dish", Riviera is nicer than many other DVC properties. Certainly would have cost more to build than for example, PVB (cheap, cosmetic only, refurbishment. One of our favorite home resorts).

The difference is, the lukewarm teriyaki noodles (that are the PVB rooms) are part of the Ohana Feast. As such warranting Disney prices for our family. Riviera is more like ordering Fillet mignon on Mac n cheese... and nice pasta is served, with the steak missing.

That made me laugh, having had the lukewarm noodles........

I should tell people that our Preferred View Studio had a small refrigerator with a freezer compartment. 4 coffee mugs, 4 small square dishes, 4 glasses, 4 butter knives, 4 teaspoons and 4 forks. In a 5 person room.

NOW HERE IS A MINOR, BUT IMPORTANT POINT - there were no sharp knives and the butter knives did not have any serrations on them whatsoever, so you CANNOT use them to cut ANYTHING.

Why did they choose butter knives without serrations? We ordered stuff to make sandwiches, and this included tomatoes and pickles and other things. Try cutting a ripe tomato with a bar of steel. I ENDED UP GOING ONTO AMAZON.COM and ordering a sharp knife with 2 day delivery time, so we could actually use some of our food.
Housekeep should be able to supply. Whatever is in a one bedroom is available for you to ask for.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter