American Girl Store Experience?

I just have to laugh when parents pay for the dolls to have a “spa experience”. Two girls, multiple trips including show when they had one, lunches, teas and never would I ever consider paying for a doll to have a “spa experience”

Right?? It's a rarity that I splurge on a spa experience for MYSELF, I'm certainly not pampering a DOLL!

Thank you all so much for your help! We are leaning towards making the trip to Chicago since this is likely our only AG store visit (I don’t say for sure, since if we ended up in a city that happened to have a store we might return, but we won’t be making any more trips specifically for that purpose). It’s about a 6-6.5 hour drive for us, we think. My husband wants to leave out around breakfast one morning, arrive that afternoon, hit the AG store the next morning/early afternoon and come home that night. In my mind that seems pretty rushed, but it would definitely keep the costs more within budget. He has previously been to Chicago once with work and was gone less than 24 hours. I wasn’t with him and he doesn’t share a lot but he just didn’t seem to enjoy himself. But I would like to go in the Hancock building and have some Chicago style pizza at least  Are those close to the AG store?

For those with experience – is the AG package at the hotels worth the extra money spent? If my daughter doesn’t know they exist, would she really miss anything? We have a doll bed at home, but there is a huge part of me saying “If we are doing this, lets do it right” and spring for the package. But that knocks out getting the best deal on hotel rooms.

Also, when would you suggest visiting Chicago? My daughter is in school so from now till May 25 it would have to be a weekend visit if we opted for that. Or we can wait till summer and use some PTO days and go during the week. Would it be less crowded during the week, but summer? I kind of wondered if the two would cancel each other out.

I wouldn't worry about booking a hotel just for the doll bed, etc., I did it because that package included parking and parking is crazy expensive in Chicago! The cafe there is really cute, we did the afternoon tea and enjoyed it very much. We also live about 6 hours away and I left early one morning, we spent one night and drove back the next day. It still gave us plenty of time to see other Chicago attractions and enjoy the city, it was in May, over Mother's day so the weather was great to walk around. We went to Navy Pier and rode the ferris wheel, dipped our toes into chilly Lake Michigan, walked through several parks to see the bean and Buckinham fountain, did some shopping and still had time to swim at the hotel pool.

I was just at the NYC location this past weekend (with my sis-in-law who has frequented the old location). The new one is definitely light and airy and she kept commenting on the difference when comparing to the old store.
I was actually referring to the new store at Rockafeller Center. Most of the displays were broken and the items that were displayed didn't have the products under the display to purchase. It was very confusing for us.

In regards to the doll spa experience, no way. My daughter wasn't interested in having any of that done.

Thank you all so much for your help! We are leaning towards making the trip to Chicago since this is likely our only AG store visit (I don’t say for sure, since if we ended up in a city that happened to have a store we might return, but we won’t be making any more trips specifically for that purpose). It’s about a 6-6.5 hour drive for us, we think. My husband wants to leave out around breakfast one morning, arrive that afternoon, hit the AG store the next morning/early afternoon and come home that night. In my mind that seems pretty rushed, but it would definitely keep the costs more within budget. He has previously been to Chicago once with work and was gone less than 24 hours. I wasn’t with him and he doesn’t share a lot but he just didn’t seem to enjoy himself. But I would like to go in the Hancock building and have some Chicago style pizza at least  Are those close to the AG store?

For those with experience – is the AG package at the hotels worth the extra money spent? If my daughter doesn’t know they exist, would she really miss anything? We have a doll bed at home, but there is a huge part of me saying “If we are doing this, lets do it right” and spring for the package. But that knocks out getting the best deal on hotel rooms.

Also, when would you suggest visiting Chicago? My daughter is in school so from now till May 25 it would have to be a weekend visit if we opted for that. Or we can wait till summer and use some PTO days and go during the week. Would it be less crowded during the week, but summer? I kind of wondered if the two would cancel each other out.

Yes, Hancock building is right there on Michigan Ave. near American Girl Store. Definitely, do that on the day you visit the store. You're on the Magnificent Mile so pizza is also available and Garrett's popcorn.
I'd suggest the Shed Aquarium the next day.

With four girls we've spent a lot of time at American Girl stores. Chicago is our favorite!!! Chicago is a great place to spend a few days. We took our girls to Sears Tour/Willis Tour(not sure what to call it as the locals still call it Sears)right after and got some great pictures with their dolls. My husband suffers from "AG fever" every time we visit as he still, after twenty some years, can't believe the prices. I will add that we did not have a good experience at the Orlando store. Not sure if the girl was having an off day but she was very unfriendly.

Well, it seems have had a bit of a change of heart. I was set to go to Chicago and ready to nail down dates and plans, but when we were talking to my daughter about the idea, all she cared about was getting her doll’s hair fixed and ears pierced. And she isn’t a huge shopper to begin with (though I imagine a store completely devoted to AG will be right up her alley). So my husband and I decided to go a different route this year (since this is not our big trip for the year – we are taking a Disney cruise later this fall). We are going to the Nashville location (Franklin). For us it’s half the distance of Chicago and it meets the two things my daughter really wants to do. And Lodging is much less expensive, and parking is free. Then, if she loves it, talks about it, wants to do it again….. we may look into a longer Chicago trip next year as our family vacation and visit the AG store then.

That said – if anyone recommends anything in the Franklin or Nashville area for families, I’d love to hear those! It will still remain an overnight trip but will need to eat and will have time for a couple other activities as well. We will definitely be doing a lunch at the AG Bistro.

So our plans have been completely turned upside down since I posted this. We still haven’t made an AG adventure, but what has come into play is DH has a conference in Orlando in June and my DD and I are tagging along. We will have 3-4 days of DH in conference and DD and I on our own (after that we plan to add a few days of family vacation time, likely including WDW). The plan is Sea World on the pass where you can go as often as you want for 2018, swimming, etc while DH is in his conference.

But what brings me back to this thread… I know there is an AG store in Orlando. I saw that it’s in the same mall as the Crayola Experience as well. Any thoughts on this AG store in comparison to others (I know Chicago is still probably leaps and abounds better, but in comparison to the other locations). Rather than spending money on a separate trip I sort of thought this might give us a way to do it on this trip, and also gives me and DD another activity while DH is busy.

DD(15) and I went to this store last week. DD was wishing she had visited when she was younger, but even at 15, she had a great time. She must have spent 30 minutes playing on a little bitty piano, and I just didn't have the heart to pull her away or tell her she was too old. She even suggested we go to the store in Atlanta on our next visit there! The restaurant has limited hours, so be sure to check on that ahead of time. I tried to talk DD into getting her ears pierced a 2nd time. lol We were there during the early evening, and it wasn't crowded at all.

The Hancock building is literally a block away. I don't remember seeing Chicago style pizza right there - there was a Cheesecake Factory and Benihana at the entrance to the Hancock building, and Ditkas was across the street (we ate there - it was good, but noisy). There might have been a pizza place in a food court near the AG store, but my memory is vague on that. There is bound to be a good place nearby though - it is a touristy area. DD also loved the Disney store down the street, and I might have picked out a little something for myself at Tiffany's.

If you have time, the Museum of Science and Industry was GREAT. We went planning on staying an hour or two and left 5 hours later.

ETA: Should have read to the end of the thread. Orlando sounds pretty fun, too.

ETA: Should have read to the end of the thread. Orlando sounds pretty fun, too.

It's okay :) The more I read of your post, the more more my mind drifted to Chicago for fall break - maybe not so great for the budget though! But I've always wanted to see Chicago.

Anyone been to the Orlando store?

You're going to have an amazing time, I used to absolutely adore my AG doll, but I never got to go to stores as a kid. Have fun in Chicago!

We have been to the AG stores in Columbus, Chicago, and Orlando. To me the Chicago store was most impressive! The store in Orlando was also amazing for my daughter! It may have been because it was a surprise for my daughter, but we really enjoyed ourselves. The staff at the Orlando store was very pleasant and helpful. The Columbus store is small, but it is located in a really neat shopping district! The Orlando store should be just fine for a visit for you and your daughter. We also liked the Crayola Factory!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter