Amex Car insurnace - Another question!!

Mpet

Mouseketeer
Help or advice welcome – my head is spinning!

After reading the posts re Amex Insurance, I had decided that this was the best option to save some ££/ $$. I was originally booking a flydrive with Virgin for myself, DH, DS & DD. but now, DH’s brother and family want to come (they came last time). The booking for 8 gives us an 8 seater van – which is fine, as last time we rarely used two cars, but I am in a quandary now re the Amex Insurance.

If we (my family) buy the super dooper policy that gives us the car insurance cover, I am guessing that it would only cover myself and DH to drive. If DH’s brother wanted to drive, I am guessing that he would also need the same policy – which sort of defeats the object in saving some money.

I was considering not taking the Virgin ‘free’ car at all and going elsewhere. Help what are my options for getting the ‘best deal’

Maxine
:confused:

Hi,
I had a similar question and checked with Amex and according to them (and cofirmed in the terms and conditions)any person travelling in your party AND listed on the hire agreement is covered by your policy.My cover is "free" because I have an Amex card but I assume the same terms apply if you buy the insurance as a non card holder.

Mick

:smooth:

Mick

Thanks for that. I've had a look at the Amex T's & C's and it does say that.

My next question - how would you define an 'authorised driver'? If I book just the van through Virgin, would all the 'flydrive adults' be considered 'authorised drivers'.

Thinking about it I suppose they would - purely as they have booked a 'flydrive'!

Maxine

Maxine
i would check with Virgin re authorised drivers. If one of your drivers has a claim against them no insurance company will cover that person retrospectively because someone misunderstood the policy.

Ken

Simplest thing really - I phoned Amex and asked if they covered other members of the party and they confirmed that they do as long as they are named on the rental agreement.

The guy that answered must have thought I was very odd as I kept asking him 'they don't have to have Amex insurance then'

He confirmed several times - no they don't.

I would have liked to have got confirmation in writing, but can't find an e-mail address for Amex. Still the policy seems quite clear and the very patient operator that I spoke to also seemed clear!

Maxine

The policy covers ALL NAMED DRIVERS ON THE RENTAL AGREEMENT
Dollar etc will charge you approx $5 a day for the privelage of adding each additional (additonal to the principal driver) named driver including spouse.

You really need to do all the permutations on cost using Amex verses an all inclusive deal, with the Amex type policies you really start to make substantial savings if your planning on doing 2 or more trips a year.

Mick,
If you read this can you tell me if any Amex cardholder gets free insurance and if so is it their most comprehensive one ie full car insurance for US?
Cheers
Claire :D

Mick,
Just a thought to get the insurance do Amex require you to use their card to pay for the holiday/flights/car hire or not?
Claire :D

Hi Claire,
I have a Platinum Amex card and I get a certain amount of cover included in the cards suscription.I also pay £115 p/a extra to get increased travel cover (for me and the Dragon!!) and full car hire cover.I am a DVC member so I usually go to Florida twice a year so this cover is very cost effective.Also get other "perks" with the card such as free airline lounge access and upgrades at the Hilton Hotels so these also help to justify the high subsciption cost.You don't have to use the card to pay for any part of your trip and if you have to make a claim there is a dedicated number to ring and they sort out the claim for you.

Mick.

:smooth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter