An Almost First Family Trip - July/August 2023 PTR

That’s a good estimate. I have $ 4562 for party of 8 ( 6 adults &2 kids-4 &7) and thats only 1 -2 ADR meals a day Friday through Saturday.

That’s a good estimate. I have $ 4562 for party of 8 ( 6 adults &2 kids-4 &7) and thats only 1 -2 ADR meals a day Friday through Saturday.
That sounds pretty close to what we've budgeted in past trips when we did more ADRs. We'd probably have done more sit down meals if we'd decided to cut on the cost of the hotel, but we decided to treat ourselves with our stay rather than our meals this time around. With how much we're planning on taking breaks at the resort, I think that'll be nice, but next time we go we'll likely amp up the amount of reservations we make!

Less than two weeks to go! Not sure why my ticket seems to be stuck on 16 days - we are down to 12, and this week will mark single digit day!
It feels like next week is when the real countdown is gonna start, though. Monday is gonna be laundry day, probably a few loads worth cause we've been falling behind (although I may bring some to do at my parents' house this weekend, always better than going to the laundromat in my opinion - and cheaper). Then Tuesday, once everything that needs to hang dry is hopefully dry, I'll get the packing finalized. M's outfits have already been taken out of his daily daycare rotation, mostly so we don't send him off with a shirt we bought specifically for Disney and that's the day they decide to do an extremely staining activity. I also have a few of his other items set aside in our bedroom, and honestly, it's been looking like chaos for weeks now. I can't wait to get it all packed away so that our room can have some semblance of order again.

Tuesday is also when our car sitter will be coming to pick up the keys to our apartment. We used to get someone to take her in while we'd go on vacation, but it always ended up being more stressful for her than anything else. So now we just have someone come in to feed her and change her litter box a few times throughout the week while we're gone, and it works out better.

M will stay home from daycare Wednesday - Friday, so I won't have time to do much then anyway. And then once Amber gets home from work on Friday evening, it's off to the airport for the night!

So, all of this to say, I think this week will drag on but next week will fly by!

And until then, there's still a few more things to plan - namely...

Snacks!

Featured-Mickey-Sandwich.jpg

You didn't think I was done talking about food, did you?

Granted, snacks are a bit trickier to entirely plan for than meals. I often try to make myself a 'Need to Try' or 'Must Have' snack list, and if I'm entirely honest, I rarely end up trying even half of them.

Of course, that doesn't stop me from doing it again!

Amber is a lot more straightforward with her snacks. Usually, she'll make sure to get a Mickey ice cream sandwich, a Mickey pretzel and a caramel apple. Past that, she just goes with the flow.

Epcot is always the worst to try and plan for, because it has festivals throughout sooo much of the year, so of course we want to try the festival offerings that are there for a limited time, but then I also want to try some of their regular snacks or have some of my favorites. There's always too many snacks on the Epcot list. So this is a disclaimer - I definitely will not end up eating everything I say I'd like to try.

Magic Kingdom

Chicken, Ham & Cheese Spring Roll from the Egg Roll Wagon
Tropical Serenade (Pineapple-Orange-Guava Juice, Coconut soft-serve, and an upside down pineapple cake pop) from Aloha Isle
Rapunzel Sundae (Shortcake with lemon Dole Whip and wild berry soft serve, whipped cream, berry compote and sugar flowers) from Storybook Treats
or
Heigh Ho Sundae (Chocolate soft serve, hot fudge, graham cracker pieces, chocolate gems and whipped cream) from Storybook Treats
Pepper Jack Pretzel from the Frontierland Churro Cart

I think this will make for a perfect mix of sweet, salty and savory. I feel like we often end up going mostly for sweet snacks, and at some point it just gets too much. I am hoping Amber will get the Heigh Ho sundae and let me try a couple of bites, cause ultimately, I do think I will go for the Rapunzel sundae - but whenever I get something fruity instead of chocolatey, I end up wishing I'd gotten something chocolatey as well. However, the Heigh Ho sundae (as delicious as it sounds) seems like the kind of sundae I could make at home, albeit not with soft serve, but still. So, the more unique option seems like the better choice here.

rapunzel-sundae912.jpg

Epcot

Half Note Float (Fanta wild cherry, lemonade, Fanta raspberry slushy with vanilla ice cream and Half Note white chocolate) from Fife and Drum Tavern
Fraise Tart (vanilla cream topped with strawberries) from Boulangerie Pâtisserie Les Halles
Eclair (with chocolate cream) from Boulangerie Pâtisserie Les Halles
Croque Glace (choice of 1 ice cream/sorbet flavor in a warm brioche, with choice of sauce, warmed and sealed) from L'Artisan des Glaces
Kakigori (shaved ice topped with fruit syrup) from Kabuki Cafe

Most of these are go tos in Epcot. We pretty much always end up getting something from the bakery, and we rarely pass up the ice cream shop either. I've never gotten a kakigori in Japan but it's been on my list for a while, so we'll see if this time is the time! As for the half note float, it seems like a good choice as I often get the American Dream (although I tend to get it as the 'Canadian dream', with double strawberry slushy instead of half strawberry, half blue raspberry). Of course, this doesn't include the Food & Wine offerings - that'll be a section of its own.

Desserts-at-Les-Halles-in-Epcot.jpg

Hollywood Studios
Wade's Cool Blue Float (vanilla soft serve, Sprite, blueberry boba pearls, flavor of cotton candy, and a meringue wave) from Epic Eats

Blue Milk (plant based dairy blend of coconut and rice milk with alluring fruity characteristics) from the Milk Stand
Ronto Morning Wrap (egg omelet, grilled pork sausage, shredded cheese, peppercorn sauce, wrapped in pita) from Ronto Roasters

So, that first option may not actually be there anymore by the time we go. It was introduced some time mid June for the premiere of Elemental, but it certainly seems to be a limited time item. I haven't found anything as to whether or not it's still there, so I'll have to wait and see. If anything, the smaller amount of snacks at Hollywood Studios will make up for getting a few more at Epcot ;) I am really excited to have the morning wrap from Ronto Roasters again, though. I remember thinking it was sooo good in December 2019, and I love me a quick and easy park breakfast option.

wdw-2022-hollywood-studios-eating-everything-in-star-wars-galaxys-edge-ronto-roasters-breakfast-menu-ronto-morning-wrap-scaled.jpg

Animal Kingdom

Pineapple Crisp Sundae (pineapple crisp cake, vanilla ice cream, pineapple caramel, crispy streusel topping) from Tamu Tamu Refreshment
Pink Lotus (Monin wild strawberry, lychee, and Minute Made premium lemonade) from Thirsty River Bar & Trek Snacks
Colossal Banana Caramel Cinnamon Roll from Terra Treats
Pongu Lumpia (pineapple cream cheese spring roll) from Pongu Pongu
Night Blossom (limeade with layers of apple and desert pear flavors topped with boba balls) from Pongu Pongu

Not much salty/savory to speak of here, but we'll probably end up getting popcorn so that's fine! I don't think I've ever been on a Disney trip since Pandora has opened when I haven't gotten those specific snacks from Pongu Pongu. I will admit the lumpia is small for the price you pay for it, but it just hits the spot with just enough sweetness for me - which is good considering the sugar rush that follows with the Night Blossom! I don't know if the cinnamon roll will still be around as it was a special snack for Animal Kingdom's 25th anniversary, but if they've kept 50th snacks going for 18 months, they can surely keep 25th anniversary treats for four months, right? Fingers crossed!

Well, we’ve just about made it! Tomorrow is Disney day!

:jumping1:

I can hardly believe we actually got to it! It feels like it’s been forever, and unless you count from birth to our first trip in 2012 (and why would you), this is the longest we’ve gone between two proper Disney trips, not counting weekend getaways.

Packing has been something else. I’ve always figured myself to be a pretty efficient packer, but throwing a toddler in the mix humbled me real fast. It took me hours to get everything settled, and we are ending up with a checked bag, two carry ons, one large backpack, a Loungefly backpack and two other personal bags. Thankfully M has his own ticket so technically he has his own carry on items allotment, otherwise we would have had to check in two bags I think.

This is without counting his car seat that we’re bringing for the plane, and his stroller.

:faint:

It’s gonna be fun times at the airport tomorrow morning - we did end up cancelling the hotel night at the airport tonight as ultimately the expense just seemed too superfluous, and honestly it’s just as well. We’re just now getting settled down after finishing up every last minute thing we wanted to get done before we leave, and it would have been way too late to leave for the hotel at this time when M’s been in bed for an hour.

In any case, we are just about ready to go! Fingers crossed everything goes well and that we make it back in one piece with memories aplenty!

Til then, see ya real soon!

Love this pre-trip report! Hope you're all having a wonderful trip.
I can't wait to read about how your trip actually panned out. 😁

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter