An Asian Disney and Universal Adventure - Trip Report COMPLETED 6/23

I just found your TR a few days ago while doing some research for our upcoming trip. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading about your adventures and seeing your fabulous photos! Wow - stunning!

We will be visiting Singapore next year, then taking a cruise from there to Hong Kong where we'll be able to spend a few days before returning home. Naturally, I will be spending one of these days at HKDL.

I know you mentioned wanting to visit DLP some day, just take your experience of Chinese theme park behaviour as a practice run for how things are in Paris - line cutting, smoking in line, etc are all part of a day's visit there too unfortunately. So at least I'll be prepared for that in HK.

I just found your TR a few days ago while doing some research for our upcoming trip. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading about your adventures and seeing your fabulous photos! Wow - stunning!

We will be visiting Singapore next year, then taking a cruise from there to Hong Kong where we'll be able to spend a few days before returning home. Naturally, I will be spending one of these days at HKDL.

I know you mentioned wanting to visit DLP some day, just take your experience of Chinese theme park behaviour as a practice run for how things are in Paris - line cutting, smoking in line, etc are all part of a day's visit there too unfortunately. So at least I'll be prepared for that in HK.

Thanks for your lovely comment :) Your trip sounds really exciting. Singapore is amazing, we loved it so much! And Hong Kong Disneyland is definitely worth a days visit.

I have heard that about DLP before, though I'm sure it can't be as bad as Shanghai Disney! I will be prepared when we eventually go! FYI, Hong Kong Disney wasn't anywhere near as bad as Shanghai Disney, and the behaviour we saw there was probably on par with what we've experienced at the US parks. If you go in prepared that will probably be better, but it definitely wasn't that bad from my perspective (especially when compared with Shanghai Disney).

Hi from a fellow Perthite (also in the hills). Your TR was absolutely fabulous, thank you so much for all your effort, and of course the amazing photos! You have convinced me we need to visit Japan. We are not city people, but love gardens and natural beauty and and course Disney! I hope you are both well :D

Hi from a fellow Perthite (also in the hills). Your TR was absolutely fabulous, thank you so much for all your effort, and of course the amazing photos! You have convinced me we need to visit Japan. We are not city people, but love gardens and natural beauty and and course Disney! I hope you are both well :D

Hi right back - so excited to discover a fellow Disney nerd living in the hills of Perth! Glad you enjoyed the report - and Japan is completely amazing, such a great place to visit! I’d definitely recommend Kyoto as it doesn’t really feel hugely citish, as well as Hakone and of course Tokyo Disney we are both doing well though having Disney withdrawals as we don’t currently have any trips on the horizon and it’s been over a year since the last one!

We live in Bullsbrook ,what about you guys?
Yes, I know what that is like..although we were lucky enough to go to DL 6 months ago with parents paying as my Dads 60th, still seems like AGES ago though!
Wondering if we could do Japan this year or maybe Jan 2019 as you said that was a good time crowd wise.. (although we might have a new puppy by then so might not work).

We live in Bullsbrook ,what about you guys?
Yes, I know what that is like..although we were lucky enough to go to DL 6 months ago with parents paying as my Dads 60th, still seems like AGES ago though!
Wondering if we could do Japan this year or maybe Jan 2019 as you said that was a good time crowd wise.. (although we might have a new puppy by then so might not work).
Yes January was a great time to go as it is the quietest time - though it is cold too (but we managed ok) - we are in Lesmurdie - my husbands actually just got a new job where he will likely have to go to NAM (the American music association trade show) once a year which is held at the Anaheim convention centre so I’m hoping maybe I’ll get to tag along and then we will do Disneyland!

Wow, congratulations to him!!
I went to your 2013 report to try and read but the photos are all locked, is there a way to unlock them or is it too old? TIA

Last edited:

Wow, congratulations to him!!
I went to your 2013 report to try and read but the photos are all locked, is there a way to unlock them or is it too old? TIA
I'm so sorry I have only just seen this comment! Sadly all my old trip report photos were hosted on Photobucket, who then changed their free account quotas and locked my account out :( So sadly those photos are not recoverable! We do now have a trip planned for September/October next year to WDW and DLR though, so we will take some more pics for that trip and make sure to post them here!

What an awesome trip report! The Disney and Dim Sum... That's going on the bucket list. Thanks for sharing. =)
Thanks so much! Disney Dim Sum is fantastic and certainly a great thing to go on a Disney bucket list! The top thing on my Disney bucket list at the moment is Star Wars land which I get to see next October, but then after that finally getting to Disneyland Paris and ticking off all the parks!

I'm so sorry I have only just seen this comment! Sadly all my old trip report photos were hosted on Photobucket, who then changed their free account quotas and locked my account out :( So sadly those photos are not recoverable! We do now have a trip planned for September/October next year to WDW and DLR though, so we will take some more pics for that trip and make sure to post them here!

Sounds fun!
My parents surprised us again with another trip..we ard all off to WDW in about a month! 10days wdw 2 days universal and 2 others (think we will do a little shopping and want to go see the manatees.) Cant wait!

Sounds fun!
My parents surprised us again with another trip..we ard all off to WDW in about a month! 10days wdw 2 days universal and 2 others (think we will do a little shopping and want to go see the manatees.) Cant wait!
Thanks sounds wonderful! We are actually only doing 4 full days at WDW and 8 days at Disneyland (we wanted more time at Disneyland as our first trip to that park was on our honeymoon and we are going to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary). We will do a day at MK, a day at AK, a day shared between EPCOT and HS and a day at both universes parks. Also sadly my husband now only gets to take 2 weeks annual leave at a time which means we could only go for so long - I hope you have a fantastic time on your trip!

Just wanted to say that I have really loved reading this report. Have been dipping in and out over the christmas holidays and finally finished today. Was great seeing a side by side comparison of all the resorts.
Thank you

Just wanted to say that I have really loved reading this report. Have been dipping in and out over the christmas holidays and finally finished today. Was great seeing a side by side comparison of all the resorts.
Thank you
Thanks! I’m glad you’ve been enjoying reading

Hi Rachelle, just wanted to let you know I just reread your report and thoroughly enjoyed it again. We are (hopefully) going to HK and SH next year. I hope you, Jarred and your new son are well!

Hi Rachelle, just wanted to let you know I just reread your report and thoroughly enjoyed it again. We are (hopefully) going to HK and SH next year. I hope you, Jarred and your new son are well!
Thank you so much letting me know! That makes me smile. I actually did this recently too, re-read through all my trip reports. Now that we have a little one I've realised it's probably going to be a long while before we can travel again, and probably never the way we did - so being able to re-live our adventures in such depth and detail has been so great.

I really hope you get to Hong Kong and Shanghai, if not next year then soon (silly COVID ruining everyone's travel plans :P). That will be a fantastic trip.

Jared and I are great, and Matthew (our son) is adorable. I know I'm bias but I think he's the cutest baby ever (and I have had a number of people with not much emotional stake in it agree with me - so that makes me proud). He's also such a calm and chilled little man, a really good sleeper and overall an easy baby as far as babies are (it's still hard being new parents but he's certainly helped make it easier on us by being the way he is).

I thought you might like to see a few pictures. First 3 are him as a newborn, then there's one at 1 month, 3 months and one we took a few weeks ago! All pictures taken by Jared of course, it's so useful to have a talented photographer in the family - so we don't have to pay for the pics!

Thank you so much letting me know! That makes me smile. I actually did this recently too, re-read through all my trip reports. Now that we have a little one I've realised it's probably going to be a long while before we can travel again, and probably never the way we did - so being able to re-live our adventures in such depth and detail has been so great.

I really hope you get to Hong Kong and Shanghai, if not next year then soon (silly COVID ruining everyone's travel plans :P). That will be a fantastic trip.

Jared and I are great, and Matthew (our son) is adorable. I know I'm bias but I think he's the cutest baby ever (and I have had a number of people with not much emotional stake in it agree with me - so that makes me proud). He's also such a calm and chilled little man, a really good sleeper and overall an easy baby as far as babies are (it's still hard being new parents but he's certainly helped make it easier on us by being the way he is).

I thought you might like to see a few pictures. First 3 are him as a newborn, then there's one at 1 month, 3 months and one we took a few weeks ago! All pictures taken by Jared of course, it's so useful to have a talented photographer in the family - so we don't have to pay for the pics!

OMG he is the cutest! Congratulations and enjoy.. that's great he is being so easy, what a star!(of the world? :p hahaha)

OMG he is the cutest! Congratulations and enjoy.. that's great he is being so easy, what a star!(of the world? :p hahaha)
Lol that made me literally laugh out loud! Maybe one day he’ll get to go to the Trick Eye Museum and become the star of the world for real 😂😂😂

What a wonderful trip report Rachelle. Congratulations on your son. He is adorable.

I was at DL Shanghai and Hong Kong only a couple of weeks later, in full swing of Chinese New Year. It was fun looking at your photos, as they showed me areas that I could not get to or missed because of the crowds. The crowds were crazy, and I never did get to ride Tron, as the line for the lockers were 3 hours and Fast Passes were gone before I entered the park. I agree with you on Pirates though, it is awesome.

Australia is also on my bucket list of places to visit. I currently live in Southern Ca, and going through major Disney withdrawals...

What a wonderful trip report Rachelle. Congratulations on your son. He is adorable.

I was at DL Shanghai and Hong Kong only a couple of weeks later, in full swing of Chinese New Year. It was fun looking at your photos, as they showed me areas that I could not get to or missed because of the crowds. The crowds were crazy, and I never did get to ride Tron, as the line for the lockers were 3 hours and Fast Passes were gone before I entered the park. I agree with you on Pirates though, it is awesome.

Australia is also on my bucket list of places to visit. I currently live in Southern Ca, and going through major Disney withdrawals...

thanks so much for reading along! I can’t imagine SHDL being busier. I’m so sorry it was for you! Tron was fun but Pirates was the real highlight so I’m glad you got to do that (plus I’m sure getting to DW to see Tron when it opens there will be easier for you).

So sorry you are missing out on Disneyland at the moment. I always envied so-cal locals and AP holders but I think this year I’m so grateful to live where we do. Here in Perth australia we’ve had no community outbreak of COViD (thanks to our isolation and shutting our state borders pretty much the whole year). I really hope you guys get back to Disneyland soon - it breaks my heart that my favourite place in the world has been shut for almost a year!

I’m not sure when we will get back now that we have Matthew (and we do hope to have a second in a few years). He has fantastic grandparents who would take him for a week or two if we decided to go but we are now saving for other things and have daycare fees to deal with so it could be many years before we are back (which breaks my heart too). But I wouldn’t trade anything for my boy, he is beautiful and im so grateful for him. And I do know we will go back, and take the kids (probably not until they are old enough to remember the trip though - as it’s such a long way to come from Australia). The asian parks might be easier for us as jared travels to Japan for work (or will do at some point in the future when international travel is a thing again!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!