[ANALYSIS] Will Apple and Google top Disney's $71-billion bid for FOX?

I'm not familiar with that website so forgive my skepticism. The 223 word "story" does nothing more than point out that Google and Amazon have a lot of cash on hand--a topic that seems to come up every time one of these media sale/merger deals is in the news.

Have either Apple or Google ever shown signs that they were serious about owning cable networks, TV production facilities or movie studios?

I'm not familiar with that website so forgive my skepticism. The 223 word "story" does nothing more than point out that Google and Amazon have a lot of cash on hand--a topic that seems to come up every time one of these media sale/merger deals is in the news.

Have either Apple or Google ever shown signs that they were serious about owning cable networks, TV production facilities or movie studios?
Apple has been rumored to buy a studio before but neither have been mentioned once really in this deal.

I think these sites just like to play things forward and see what could work out base on $ alone

I recall a while ago there was one about Apple buying Disney or something like that .... If this was going to happen there would have been rumblings before this.

Apple/google are not going to sit there while Disney and Comcast outbid each other which jacks up the price and then swoop in and overpay for some asset

Apple has been rumored to buy a studio before but neither have been mentioned once really in this deal.

Operative word being "rumored." We've both seen plenty of "Apple should buy Disney" threads...but I'm not sure that there's ever been any substance behind it. Always struck me as fanboy dreams more than anything else.

The story is getting updates, by the looks of it. But I went to dig, and it is true that industry analysts have forcast one more player to enter the battle. But who it will be is the thing. As of now, it could either be Alphabet or Apple, because no one else seems to have that much cash lying around.

Last edited:
Apple and Google really haven't shown enough initiative towards their original programming to make me believe they'd spend over $70 Biliion to get a little more. Disney clearly has a focus on getting that Fox content for their streaming service, and there had been months of rumors about Disney and Comcast potentially buying Fox well before any of it went public. This seems about as odd as the rumblings of Apple buying Netflix, wishful thinking from some people.

There are many companies that have the cash or could raise the cash to outbid Disney or Comcast. There are very few that could generate enough profit off those assets going forward to make it worth their time. Both Comcast and Disney can leverage the assets in multiple ways and have the redundancies in their own company to cut expenses with the combination. Apple and Google don't really have that reason to buy. Could they become players? Sure, with tons of cash sitting around earning almost nothing in investments right now, those companies can throw money at whatever they like. Is this an idea that makes sense? Not really. Though I'd say it makes more sense for Apple than Google.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts