Animal Kingdom Savannah View room

marcar12

Mouseketeer
I have a question for those that have stayed in an Animal Kingdom Savannah View room. We are thinking about staying there for 1 night of our trip because we have heard how awesome this experience is, but if we only stay there 1 night, would you say chances are still good that we will see animals out our window? When you have stayed there, how many days of our trip did you see animals from your room? Was it 100%? Thanks for your help!

We have stayed in an SV room twice and both times we constantly saw animals whenever we looked out over the Savannah. But there may be times that they wonder off into another area or are off in the distance. Definitely the most unique resort at WDW, I would always recommend staying there at least once. Don't forget to do the night vision if they have it. I will say that at night, you really cannot see much because of the darkness, even though we had a few wilder beast that were laying in our area.

We stayed at Kidani village in October on the southern savannah and during daylight hours we always saw at least some of the animals. From what we could tell the keepers try to do a good job of making sure the animals such as the giraffes are in different areas of the savannah throughout the day by hanging bundles of grass from the trees in different locations. It seems like the routine was to bring out the birds at first light, then hang grass from the trees to attract the giraffes, and then leave other food for the various other animals. Never a disappointment.

We stayed and I loved it. My husband said next time he would just get a cheaper room because there were so many nooks and crannies and neat locations to see the animals. we did see a bunch. That being said, for 1 night I would choose the Savanah view.

Attachments

• 9128A84F-9033-4E7D-8FCC-CDB9F37EB9F0.jpeg
    9128A84F-9033-4E7D-8FCC-CDB9F37EB9F0.jpeg
    125.9 KB · Views: 28
  • D0A91C3C-C3AD-4998-8FA1-B68563523DA3.jpeg
    D0A91C3C-C3AD-4998-8FA1-B68563523DA3.jpeg
    115.4 KB · Views: 28

We love AKL, it's our favorite deluxe, but for the money and hassle of changing hotels, nope. That's a pricy room, just to see some animals that you can see at Sanaa for the price of lunch or on KS at AK.
If you are not going to a park on arrival day (or departure day) and you have time to book a lunch or dinner at Sanaa before the sun goes down, would be another idea.

Last edited:
I would definitely suggest more than one night there - we loved seeing all the animals! There were more out there first thing in the morning and in the early evening but you could always see some.

Another voice for more than 1 night there.

First to your question of a guarantee of seeing animals - not an absolute guarantee but a very high percentage. All the times we've stayed there we'v seen animals all the times of day. Sometimes up close, sometimes further away.

So, why more than 1 night? Because if you check in late in the day you'll have a limited amount of viewing time before darkness sets in. And, the next morning you're busy getting stuff together to check out.

Not the main savannah but can still see the animals.

Attachments

• aklPB120058.JPG
    aklPB120058.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
We stayed there on one of our trips and because we always get an early start and are gone all day and don’t come back until late we never got to see the animals from our room. The night we had dinner at Boma and we saw them from the different viewing areas prior to our ADR. On every trip we always have dinner there on an AK day and visit the viewing areas so we would rather be elsewhere where there are different transportation options and not only have the bus to rely on and just visit. I can see doing what is known as a split stay if you would be there 8 days or more and do half of the trip at one resort and half of the trip at the other but not just being there for 1 day,

Last edited:
I've stayed at AKL more than 10 times. Every time I looked out the balcony, I've always seen giraffes. So the chance of seeing animals had always been 100% for me. I heard the animals may be put away for a few hours here and there, but apparently not during the time that I looked.
One time I peeked at 1 or 2 A.M. and was surprised to see a few giraffes kneeling/sleeping.
The savanna is dimly lit at night in case you're wondering how I could see in the dark.

AKL is our DVC home. We prefer to book a savannah view and have always seen animals from our balcony. We were told that the resort rotates the animals so they can keep them "fresh". As another poster said, there are many viewing places to see the animals, if you want to save some $$$ or points. Animals are out at night but they are limited. AKL used to have night viewing goggles that guests could use but with C19, that is no longer happening.

Here now with a Savannah view. Animals always outside our window. We seem to see giraffes and zebras later in the day.

There is a time of day that you will see very few animals on the savanna - if that's the only time you watch it - you will be disappointed.

It was 100% of days for us - but that's because we hung out in the room a fair amount. If you leave at dawn and return after dusk - you will be lucky to see any from your room as they can be hard to spot in the dark.

If you are going to enjoy the splurge of the room - be sure to plan to spend some daylight hours there! Then you will be fine. I do recommend opting to go down to the main viewing area after dark during the hours they do the night vision viewing. Maybe plan a resort day that day - nice pools, too. You can walk between Jambo and Kidani to see both savannas - and pool hopping is normally allowed there. Book a meal at one of the restaurants.

We have had partial and full Savannah rooms and saw animals in the morning and afternoon. I was disappointed that we had to cancel in May and had to move resorts in Nov. because.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!