Annual reading challenge 2017-come join us

Week 44- I read five books this week which brings me to 177/208. The books I read were:

The Girl With No Name by Diney Costeloe. Historical fiction. Just before the start of World War II, Lisa is sent to England on a train (Kindertransport) especially for taking endangered Jewish children to England. She is matched with foster parents in London and then endures the bombings. She is caught outside during a bombing without any identification and suffers a severe concussion and loss of memory. Her foster parents search for her but are led to believe she died while visiting a neighbor whose home was demolished in that bombing raid. She goes to a children's home and then is relocated to a rural village where she is taken in by a reclusive spinster. Slowly she regains her memory but her original foster parents have relocated because their whole block was bombed out. After the war she tracks down her original foster parents and makes contact with a distant relative in Switzerland. She learns her entire family has been killed in the Holocaust except her mother who is in a bad way. Lisa, with a young man from the village, goes to Switzerland and finds her mother who has a brief lucid moment and recognizes her then dies. The book ends with Lisa returning to the English village and marrying the young man.

The Silver Music Box by Mina Baites translated from German by Alison Layland. Historical fiction. It tells the story of a Jewish family from 1914 through 1963 by tracing the creation of a unique music box and its being handed down from generation to generation. Interestingly, the Kindertransport plays a part in this book also, as a child being saved by getting on the train smuggles the box out with her. It had lots of interesting details about life in Germany for the family starting with the father fighting for Germany in the first war to the suffering and efforts to survive the second war. According to the author's notes, many of the details are on based on real people and events.

97 Orchard - An Edible History of Five Immigrant Families in One New York Tenement by Jane Ziegelman. Non-fiction. The author brings you into the kitchens of five different woman as they cook for their newly immigrated families. It was well researched and included many recipes (none of which looked good to me).

If Only In My Dreams by Belle Calhoune. Christian romantic fiction with happy ending.

That Was Then by Leah Atwood. Christian romantic fiction with happy ending.

How was "The Girl with No Name". It sounds very interesting to me.

#29 - A Simple Faith by Rosalind Lauer

For fans of Beverly Lewis and Cindy Woodsmall, Rosalind Lauer's uplifting Lancaster Crossroads novel A Simple Faith brings together disparate lives in a warm Amish setting.

BLESSINGS BORN OF TRAGEDY
A LOVE TO HEAL ALL FEARS

Rushing to the scene of a tragic highway collision, nursing student Haley Donovan draws on her training to care for the passengers in the crumpled van. The experience wins her a place in Lancaster County's tight-knit Amish society, and draws her to kindhearted psychologist Dylan Monroe. Working side by side with Dylan, who is bringing counseling services to the small town of Halfway, Haley feels an undeniable attraction between them, yet she senses that Dylan is holding back, scarred by the wounds of his past.

Elsie Lapp, the manager of Halfway's country store, is a voice of cheer and goodwill for her customers. But Elsie's serene world spins out of control with the terrible crash, and the young woman finds herself grappling for the simple faith that has always sustained her. Her burden is eased by Ruben Zook, a neighbor known for his snide jokes. In the aftermath of the accident, Ruben reveals a tender heart that could easily sweep her away. However, Elsie carries secrets that keep her from surrendering her heart.

Exploring the ways that faith, hope, and charity bring everyone together, A Simple Faith resonates with the sweetness, purity, and power of love.

I enjoy reading books about the Amish and enjoyed this one as well.

Week 44- I read five books this week which brings me to 177/208. The books I read were:

The Girl With No Name by Diney Costeloe. Historical fiction. Just before the start of World War II, Lisa is sent to England on a train (Kindertransport) especially for taking endangered Jewish children to England. She is matched with foster parents in London and then endures the bombings. She is caught outside during a bombing without any identification and suffers a severe concussion and loss of memory. Her foster parents search for her but are led to believe she died while visiting a neighbor whose home was demolished in that bombing raid. She goes to a children's home and then is relocated to a rural village where she is taken in by a reclusive spinster. Slowly she regains her memory but her original foster parents have relocated because their whole block was bombed out. After the war she tracks down her original foster parents and makes contact with a distant relative in Switzerland. She learns her entire family has been killed in the Holocaust except her mother who is in a bad way. Lisa, with a young man from the village, goes to Switzerland and finds her mother who has a brief lucid moment and recognizes her then dies. The book ends with Lisa returning to the English village and marrying the young man.

Is this an Amazon Prime selection?

#76/80: Two Kinds of Truth (Bosch #22) by Michael Connelly (4/5) (LA crime)
Bosch went undercover this time. This is the first one dealing with current times.

#37 Don't Let Go by Harlan Coben

Suburban New Jersey Detective Napoleon “Nap” Dumas hasn't been the same since senior year of high school, when his twin brother Leo and Leo’s girlfriend Diana were found dead on the railroad tracks—and Maura, the girl Nap considered the love of his life, broke up with him and disappeared without explanation. For fifteen years, Nap has been searching, both for Maura and for the real reason behind his brother's death. And now, it looks as though he may finally find what he's been looking for.

When Maura's fingerprints turn up in the rental car of a suspected murderer, Nap embarks on a quest for answers that only leads to more questions—about the woman he loved, about the childhood friends he thought he knew, about the abandoned military base near where he grew up, and mostly about Leo and Diana—whose deaths are darker and far more sinister than Nap ever dared imagine.

Was ok but not as good as some of his other works.

#38/40 Who Do You Love by Jennifer Weiner

Rachel Blum and Andy Landis are eight years old when they meet late one night in an ER waiting room. Born with a congenital heart defect, Rachel is a veteran of hospitals, and she's intrigued by the boy who shows up all alone with a broken arm. He tells her his name. She tells him a story. After Andy's taken back to the emergency room and Rachel's sent back to her bed, they think they'll never see each other again.

Rachel, the beloved, popular, and protected daughter of two doting parents, grows up wanting for nothing in a fancy Florida suburb. Andy grows up poor in Philadelphia with a single mom and a rare talent that will let him become one of the best runners of his generation.

Over the course of three decades, through high school and college, marriages and divorces, from the pinnacles of victory and the heartbreak of defeat, Andy and Rachel will find each other again and again, until they are finally given a chance to decide whether love can surmount difference and distance and if they've been running toward each other all along.

Actually one of the best I've read so far this year. I would recommend.

#77/80: Wishful Drinking by Carrie Fisher (4/5) (memoir)
I had to laugh out loud in a few spots, but some were quite somber.

#78/80: Crime Beat by Michael Connelly (5/5) (nonfiction)
This is a series of articles written by Connelly when he was a crime reporter in both FL and CA. You can see some of his inspiration for the Bosch novels.

Should I increase my goal at this point?

Week 45 - I read three books this week which makes it 180/208. The books I read this week are:

Ascension of Larks by Rachel Linden. Fiction. Three people bond in prestigious east coast university. One girl is the only child of a single Hispanic immigrant mother on scholarship, one boy, also scholarship, raised in the slums of another country and a second girl, a midwest, rich, beauty queen type. He becomes a famous architect and marries the beauty queen and the first girl becomes a famous photographer. Then the man drowns and the photographer comes to stay with the family to help them. There are many twists and turns, but it turned out to be an interesting read. It was published by a Christian publishing company but is skimpy on religious content but free from bad language or adult content.

Dance With Me by Staci Stalling. Christian romantic fiction but with an unusual nicely integrated into the story theological content for that genre. It did have a happy ending.

Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford. Historical fiction. Set in Seattle, the narrator is first generation Chinese American. The story moves between 1986 and the WWII years. It deals with the treatment of Japanese America during the war including their forced interment and the struggle of immigrants and their children to find their footing in a new culture. I would recommend this one.

#77/80: Wishful Drinking by Carrie Fisher (4/5) (memoir)
I had to laugh out loud in a few spots, but some were quite somber.

#78/80: Crime Beat by Michael Connelly (5/5) (nonfiction)
This is a series of articles written by Connelly when he was a crime reporter in both FL and CA. You can see some of his inspiration for the Bosch novels.

Should I increase my goal at this point?

If you want to I highly encourage it

#30 - Bikini Season by Sheila Roberts

Erin Merritt has returned to her scenic hometown of Heart Lake to plan her wedding, but when she repeatedly runs into her childhood crush, she wonders if she's engaged to the wrong man. To make matters worse, all the stress is making her eat, and now she can't fit into her wedding dress.

Erin enlists the help of her cooking club--Angela, Megan and Kizzy--and the Teeny Bikini Diet Club is born. The women make a pact to get slim enough to wear their bikinis to the lake by summertime, a pact that changes their lives forever. With a little help from her friends, Angela faces her fear that her marriage is crumbling. Megan confronts the self-esteem issues that have always held her back. Kizzy deals with her husband's efforts to sabotage her diet and keep her overweight. And Erin learns some important truths about love.

Pull up your favorite beach chair and savor this funny, inspiring story about being true to yourself and following your heart, and the women who enrich our lives.

Is a good poolside/beach read.

#31 - Take Four: Above the Line Series by Karen Kingsbury

In Take Four, the final book in the Above the Line Series by New York Times bestselling author Karen Kingsbury, filmmakers Keith Ellison and Dayne Matthews have finally inked a deal to have the nation's top young actor star in their current film. But the actor takes a public fall that threatens his reputation. Now the producers must act as missionaries to save the film, their families, and the young movie star.

I enjoyed this series and plan to check out her other books.

Week 45 - I read three books this week which makes it 180/208. The books I read this week are:

Ascension of Larks by Rachel Linden. Fiction. Three people bond in prestigious east coast university. One girl is the only child of a single Hispanic immigrant mother on scholarship, one boy, also scholarship, raised in the slums of another country and a second girl, a midwest, rich, beauty queen type. He becomes a famous architect and marries the beauty queen and the first girl becomes a famous photographer. Then the man drowns and the photographer comes to stay with the family to help them. There are many twists and turns, but it turned out to be an interesting read. It was published by a Christian publishing company but is skimpy on religious content but free from bad language or adult content.

Dance With Me by Staci Stalling. Christian romantic fiction but with an unusual nicely integrated into the story theological content for that genre. It did have a happy ending.

Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford. Historical fiction. Set in Seattle, the narrator is first generation Chinese American. The story moves between 1986 and the WWII years. It deals with the treatment of Japanese America during the war including their forced interment and the struggle of immigrants and their children to find their footing in a new culture. I would recommend this one.

That last one was on my radar a few years ago and I never got around to it - sounds like I need to now!

If you want to I highly encourage it

Thanks! Will increase to 85.

#32 - Those Girls by Chevy Stevens

Life has never been easy for the three Campbell sisters. Jess, Courtney, and Dani live on a remote ranch in Western Canada where they work hard and try to stay out of the way of their father's temper. One night, a fight gets out of hand and the sisters are forced to go on the run, only to get caught in an even worse nightmare when their truck breaks down in a small town. As events spiral out of control they find themselves in a horrifying situation and are left with no choice but to change their names and create new lives.

Eighteen years later, they are still trying to forget what happened that summer. But when one of the sisters goes missing, followed closely by her niece, they are pulled back into the past. And this time there's nowhere left to run.

With Those Girls Chevy Stevens presents her most visceral thriller yet: an unforgettable portrait of desperation, loyalty, and evil. A story of survival...and revenge.

I picked up this book for $1 at Dollar Tree. She writes about true life stuff, stuff that could really happen. If you are female on a road trip, don't get stuck in a small town in the middle of no where. I'm going to take a look at some of her other books.

#33 - An Offer From A Gentleman by Julia Quinn

Julia Quinn is sure to charm readers with her Regency-era Cinderella story, An Offer From a Gentleman. The Bridgerton family is wealthy, well born, and universally admired. And with six of the eight Bridgerton children already mingling with society, it's no wonder they're mentioned so frequently in the most popular (and accurate) source of social news, Lady Whistledown's Society Papers. But not even the mysterious Lady Whistledown can identify the masked maiden who completely captivated the Bridgerton second son, Benedict, at his mother's masquerade ball -- a silver-clad beauty who vanished on the stroke of midnight. It was a magical night for Sophie Beckett, orphaned, illegitimate daughter of the Earl of Penwood. Attending the ball was a beautiful dream, sharing the evening with Benedict Bridgerton was the stuff of fantasy -- and returning home to her role as unpaid servant to her father's cruel widow and stepdaughters was a nightmare. Then she lost even the small security of that position, and things went from bad to worse. By the time Sophie met Benedict again, she was in truly desperate straits. He made her feel precious, even in rags, but Sophie had grave reservations about accepting.

I'm not sure if I'm going to make it to 20 this year. Currently on 17. Maybe I can power through during Thanksgiving and Christmas vacation :)

#39 of 60

You by Caroline Kepnes

When a beautiful, aspiring writer strides into the East Village bookstore where Joe Goldberg works, he does what anyone would do: he Googles the name on her credit card.

There is only one Guinevere Beck in New York City. She has a public Facebook account and Tweets incessantly, telling Joe everything he needs to know: she is simply Beck to her friends, she went to Brown University, she lives on Bank Street, and she’ll be at a bar in Brooklyn tonight—the perfect place for a “chance” meeting.

As Joe invisibly and obsessively takes control of Beck’s life, he orchestrates a series of events to ensure Beck finds herself in his waiting arms. Moving from stalker to boyfriend, Joe transforms himself into Beck’s perfect man, all while quietly removing the obstacles that stand in their way—even if it means murder.

Ok, so at page 100 I was ready to put this one down and forget it. But a poster on another blog said that it does get better/creepier so I hung in there and sure enough around page 150 I was hooked. Looking forward to 'Hidden Bodies' the sequel to 'You'.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter