Annual reading challenge 2018- Join in on the Fun

I would love to join this thread. I am hoping to read twenty five books by the end of the year. I'm not sure what I want to read yet. I'm kind of stuck in a rut. I used to really like Jennifer Chiaverrini, but I think I have read all hers. I also have read through Frances Rivers series. I loved them. I also really lived Kitchen House. I read it after I read the help. If anyone has any good suggestions...

I love Francine Rivers books also. There is a sequel to The Kitchen House that is also good. 'Glory Over Everything: Beyond the Kitchen House'. It is about Belle's son Jamie and his life after leaving home.

I love Francine Rivers books also. There is a sequel to The Kitchen House that is also good. 'Glory Over Everything: Beyond the Kitchen House'. It is about Belle's son Jamie and his life after leaving home.
Thanks, I'm going to have to check that one out.

I guess I should probably list the books I've already read so far!

1/30: The Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard
I've heard a lot about this and finally caved when my fiance's mom gave me the book. I loved it!

2/30: The Selection by Kiera Cass
I kinda got on a YA kick after reading The Red Queen and I remember liking this book a long time ago. Now I don't see how I did. I found the main character annoying and predictable.

3/30: A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas
This was recommended to me by a friend and it was good. It was a nice take an the fae genre that's becoming popular. The ending was a little predictable but I still enjoyed it.

Next Up: A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness :teeth:

I finished The girl on the train- much better than the movie.

Now, no judgement lol

#3- 50 Shades of Gray

#4- 50 Shades More

Currently on #5- 50 Shades Freed

#6/50

The Last Battle by C.S. Lewis

This is the last book in the Chronicles of Narnia series. I love the series and sad that this is the last one...:sad1:

#3/20: Forks, Knives, and Spoons by Leah DeCesare: A "chick-lit" book about a college girl who learns a "boyfriend" ranking system from her father (forks, knives, and spoons). The book follows two girls through college and into early adulthood as they learn what a solid relationship is. It was a fairly cute book but probably a little to young for me being the old lady that I am!!

#4/20: The Alice Network by Kate Quinn: This is based on a factual account (but it's fiction) of the female spy networks in France during World War 1, with the actual story flipping between post-World War 2 and World War 1. Not a lot of details on the spy network and more about the life of one spy as well as an American who comes to France to look for her cousin after World War 2. Overall it was a good book but I found that the language the author used for the American character to not be compatible with what I *think* a young girl would say in 1947. For instance, the girl was pregnant out of wedlock and kept referring to the pregnancy as her Little Problem. As she conversed throughout the book, she sometime said "the L.P." I thought that was just weird. People generally didn't use abbreviations or acronyms like that in 1947. Oh well. Much of her speech and outlook didn't match the period of time.

Last edited:
#4/20: The Alice Network by Kate Quinn: This is based on a factual account (but it's fiction) of the female spy networks in France during World War 1, with the actual story flipping between post-World War 2 and World War 1. Not a lot of details on the spy network and more about the life of one spy as well as an American who comes to France to look for her cousin after World War 2. Overall it was a good book but I found that the language the author used for the American character to not be compatible with was I *think* a young girl would say in 1947. For instance, the girl was pregnant out of wedlock and kept referring to the pregnancy as her Little Problem. As she conversed throughout the book, she sometime said "the L.P." I thought that was just weird. People generally didn't use abbreviations or acronyms like that in 1947. Oh well. Much of her speech and outlook didn't match the period of time.

Coincidently I just started this book a couple days ago. It's a very long book for me-500 pages! Did it hold your interest the whole way through?

Coincidently I just started this book a couple days ago. It's a very long book for me-500 pages! Did it hold your interest the whole way through?

It was just okay. It did seem long. I read on Kindle and don't really pay attention to page numbers but I noticed it was taking forever to finish it. I definitely wanted to see how it ended but, overall, it was just an okay book. I have read much better in that genre (I tend to like these fiction-based-on-fact books about how bad the Germans were during the wars and how people got through it).

Book 2/40 The Nest by Cynthia D’Aprix Sweeney 2/5 stars.... so much going on, tons of characters one plot line I felt wasn’t resolved. I also didn’t actually like a single character not one, so that didn’t help, I like to be invested in a character or the plot... I wasn’t. It wasn’t bad, but I couldn't get into it.

Two books I didn’t love to start 2018 boo! Thinking I’m going to read some fluff I know I’ll like next...

Book 2/40 The Nest by Cynthia D’Aprix Sweeney 2/5 stars.... so much going on, tons of characters one plot line I felt wasn’t resolved. I also didn’t actually like a single character not one, so that didn’t help, I like to be invested in a character or the plot... I wasn’t. It wasn’t bad, but I couldn't get into it.

Two books I didn’t love to start 2018 boo! Thinking I’m going to read some fluff I know I’ll like next...

When this book first came out, it had a lot of buzz. So I did attempt it but it was one of the few books I didn't finish.

When this book first came out, it had a lot of buzz. So I did attempt it but it was one of the few books I didn't finish.

I’m happy I’m not the only one. Honestly I really hate when I don’t like a book, I try to finish most books but I came really really close to not finishing this one.

I see you recently read the Alice newtwork, that’s on my list, but I’ve bumped it down a few spots....

2/10
The Last Unicorn Peter S. Beagle

A re-read for me. Read it in my early twenties. The last unicorn takes off to search for the others of her kind. Joined along the way by a bumbling magician Schmendrick and the indomitable Molly Grue.

1/10

Day Shift (A Novel of Midnight, Texas Book 2)
By: Charlaine Harris
There is no such thing as bad publicity, except in Midnight, where the residents like to keep to themselves. When psychic Manfred Bernardo finds himself embroiled in a scandal and hounded by the press after one of his regular clients dies during a reading, he turns to enigmatic, beautiful, and dangerous Olivia Charity for help. Somehow he knows that the mysterious Olivia can get things back to normal. As normal as things get in Midnight...

This is the second book in the Midnight Texas series. I'm a pretty big Harris fan. I love the Sookie Stackhouse books(minus the last few) and the show True Blood. This series is a little boring, but I keep reading it because I enjoy the characters. I watched the first season of the TV show and liked that WAY better than the books I've read so far. I wish they would have gone more in the direction of the show. There is only three in the series though so I'll probably just finish it.

1/40: The Mermaid’s Sister by Carrie Anne Noble
2/40: Witch & Wizard by James Patterson
3/40: Midnight Crossroad (Midnight, Texas, #1) by Charlaine Harris
4/40: Real Murders (Aurora Teagarden, #1) by Charlaine Harris

Finished a lot over the past two weeks!

#4/90:The Orphan's Train by Pam Jenoff (4/5) (historical fiction/ Holocaust)
European circus dealing with Nazis. Information on author's inspiration very interesting.

#5/90: The Girl Before by JP Delaney (3.5/5) (suspense)
Similar to The Girl on the Train

#6/90: The Hypnotist's Love Story by Liane Moriarty (3/5) (romance)
Just went on too long.

#7/90: Apparent Wind (Forgotten Coast #7) by Dawn Lee McKenna (4/5) (Florida mystery)
I like the characters in this series.

#8 - 9/90: Princess Elizabeth's Spy and His Majesty's Hope (Maggie Hope #2 and 3) by Susan Elia MacNeal (3.5/5) (WWII mystery)
Think grown-up Nancy Drew.

Been very distracted recently, haven't fished a second book yet. Almost done with Death on the Nile. I hope to finish it today or tomorrow. Joined a book club at work, and our first book is Remains of the Day.

#2/30: Dream It! Do It!: My Half-Century Creating Disney's Magic Kingdoms by Marty Sklar (4/5)
-Marty's memoirs on his time with Disney and Imagineering. It was insightful and gave an excellent background of the development of all of the parks that Marty had a hand in. I was surprised because he talked a little smack on some of his former coworkers. But there's no doubt that Marty was a creative genius and an excellent leader.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter