Another Christmas Thread - What Do Your Tweens want/What Are You Getting Them?

mmbrad02

DIS Veteran
My DD will be 10 later this month and I'm not super stumped for Christmas, but it's definitely the first year that she isn't into toys so much, leaving things a little different in terms of shopping. She is getting a Nintendo Switch for her birthday (which she currently doesn't know about) so i think there will be some games or accessories that get on her list related to that. We are sort of in an in between stage with American Girl - occasionally she gives them some attention, but it's much less than this time last year. I feel like we are sort of at a "Not packing them away but not buying new things" stage, but may consider a piece or two for that. She has mentioned a gaming VR set, but sheesh those are expensive, and right now we have deleted the game from her iPad that she really wanted it for, because it was making her grumpy and not paying attention.

She isn't really into clothing or shoes or anything yet; it's a struggle to even get her interested when I order them and we try them on at home. Usually for Christmas we always do a book (or more), a board game, and some other standard items. It doesn't help that her birthday is so close to Christmas :)

Just curious what others were seeing/thinking for this age group :)

My nephew is almost 10 and for his bday I'm getting him a mini fridge. I am also getting my own 14 and 16 year olds one for their room. Frigidaire makes a little retro looking one that holds 6 cans. My rule is that it can only hold water, sparkling water, or Zevia (colorless drinks!)

What about some of the Klutz craft books?
I know my daughter at that age was always looking for ways to be creative and I found those kit books to be a great, especially in the winter.

There are American Girl ones too

Also at that age my daughter really got into Karaoke so for her birthday we bought an inexpensive karaoke machine and had an American Idol style party.
Come to think of it, that is kind of when she started to develop her own taste in music so maybe some thing related to music like a Spotify gift card might make a good gift for your DD.

I know my daughter loved and really wanted a Instax mini camera but I never did buy her one because I thought it would end up costing too much in film. Plus her camera is a phone but she always said she wanted to be able to take pics of friends at parties or at school to put up on her walls (read as cute boys)

If you are getting her a Switch, then I assume she will want or you will buy the new Animal Crossing New Leaf game? If you are then she might like some of the AC merch they have at Hot Topic like t-shirts, stickers, caps, socks etc

Last edited:
My DD will be 10 later this month and I'm not super stumped for Christmas, but it's definitely the first year that she isn't into toys so much, leaving things a little different in terms of shopping. She is getting a Nintendo Switch for her birthday (which she currently doesn't know about) so i think there will be some games or accessories that get on her list related to that. We are sort of in an in between stage with American Girl - occasionally she gives them some attention, but it's much less than this time last year. I feel like we are sort of at a "Not packing them away but not buying new things" stage, but may consider a piece or two for that. She has mentioned a gaming VR set, but sheesh those are expensive, and right now we have deleted the game from her iPad that she really wanted it for, because it was making her grumpy and not paying attention.

She isn't really into clothing or shoes or anything yet; it's a struggle to even get her interested when I order them and we try them on at home. Usually for Christmas we always do a book (or more), a board game, and some other standard items. It doesn't help that her birthday is so close to Christmas :)

Just curious what others were seeing/thinking for this age group :)

Last year, my DD11 mostly got American Girls accessories and Playmobil sets but she lost interest in those this year. She also received a Canon Ivy photo printer (prints Instax size photo from any phone or tablet.

So far, I bought her a Pottery Barn Kids bean bag and an echo dot. She also asked for a PS4, a mini fridge (won’t happen), an Instax camera and new accessories and decor for her bedroom.

Something that lets her make her slice of the world her own might be appreciated at 10. Some ideas are items to decorate her room maybe fairy lights or a bean bag chair; her own (parent approved) music, upgraded headphones, a journal with a lock (the lock is what makes it cool), a reading lamp along with a later bed time (we used a timer on the light to give my DS an extra half hour for reading at night), art supplies and a way to display it in her room.

Chrome book for school, fun mouse and fun mouse pad (DD has one that is a corgi where the tush is the wrist pad), gamer headset (not too bad really), decorations for her room (DD really wanted a lava lamp at that age and the recent thing for her and her brother were LED light strips that went around their rooms and are remote controlled), craft or baking stuff (mini donut maker or the like), jewelry, clothes (think like a goofy onesie PJ - DD got Olaf last year and I worried she might think it uncool but she loved it - or character items she might like). Could also consider furniture items like a foam bean bag or stuff. Always books and candy.

Last year, my DD11 mostly got American Girls accessories and Playmobil sets but she lost interest in those this year. She also received a Canon Ivy photo printer (prints Instax size photo from any phone or tablet.

So far, I bought her a Pottery Barn Kids bean bag and an echo dot. She also asked for a PS4, a mini fridge (won’t happen), an Instax camera and new accessories and decor for her bedroom.

My DD will be 10 the week before Christmas, but we usually try to do her birthday with family in November to space things up a bit. She has also asked for a bean bag chair. When I was looking at the pottery barn ones, I was looking more at the teen ones but they all seem so big and since we had to add a desk to her room, my guess is is is going to end up in the living room. We are in the same boat with dolls and stuff. I don't want to buy a lot more and thank goodness she like the Target brand stuff. I also don't want to push her away from childhood because the push to grow up too fast makes me crazy.
I am the "mean" mom in that I won't buy a gaming system. We have an original wi and a newest generation kindle. With online school, I don't want to add to screen time. She was looking at these architecture kits in a MindWare catalog we get. Does anyone have any experience with these? Some are 10 and up and some are 12 and up.

I got my 10 year old daughter a Loungefly backpack that she has been wanting, a tie dye WDW spirit jersey, a Disney inspired t-shirt from Main Street Press and a huge blanket with photos on it. We get her a blanket every year, so it was fun to do something different with it.

We are getting a Nintendo Switch as a family Christmas gift, so I will get her Animal Crossing for that.

I'll stuff her stocking with socks, itunes gift card, scrunchies, stickers, etc.

She was looking at these architecture kits in a MindWare catalog we get. Does anyone have any experience with these? Some are 10 and up and some are 12 and up.
DD got an architecture thing from mindware last Christmas. She wanted it, but only played with it one time and it has sat ignored ever since. I'm going to suggest she get it out and try it again, and if that doesn't fly it will go to goodwill.

I am looking for ideas. She hasn't given me any yet for this Christmas.

You mentioned a book (or more). Instead, how about a Kindle e-reader? It's a more grown-up /high-tech type choice, and I absolutely love mine: I have 6000+ books in the space of one small tablet -- oh, the bookcases I don't have any more!

If you go this way, consider a pretty skin (I like DecalGirl.com) and a protective case in which to store it.

Other ideas:
- Polaroid camera + film -- I bought one for the guest book table at my daughter's wedding, and everyone in the family has borrowed it
- Small duffel bag for overnights at friend's houses -- personalized with her name
- Nice insulated water bottle to carry to school
- A gaming chair
- Good quality markers or other art supplies -- maybe a tye-dye kit
- A class in something that interests her: cooking, yoga, outdoor skills
- A coupon for a trip to an indoor climbing place

DD got an architecture thing from mindware last Christmas. She wanted it, but only played with it one time and it has sat ignored ever since. I'm going to suggest she get it out and try it again, and if that doesn't fly it will go to goodwill.

I am looking for ideas. She hasn't given me any yet for this Christmas.
Yep that is the one she was looking at. I think I will hold off on that one then.

Your DD sounds a lot like mine. Still into toys occasionally but but not very much. She's in the same place with AG. Even DD doesn't know what she wants this year. It's very challenging!

So far her big gift is a Canon Ivy. She loves taking pictures and I think she'll like this better than the Instax camera. I also have a few Lego Friends sets for her, an Echo Dot, and a Switch game. Other ideas I have: LED lights for her room, art supplies, subscription to Let's Make Art (she loves painting), AG clothes, a Mickey themed Happy Planner, PB teen lap desk. Oh, she loves Simply Southern shirts so I'll grab a few of those, too.

My daughter is 10, she turns 11 on NYE. I asked her yesterday what she wanted and she said money, Roblox gift cards and credits to buy whatever on movie star planet game she plays. 🙄🙄

yeah I’ll get her a Roblox card in her stocking but I’m not giving her money bc that’s exactly what she’ll do with it- blow it on buying crap in her games. 🤣

I got her a knock off Minnie minibackpack already but will probably get her a stitch Loungefly too. I think I’ll get a Mickey necklace and bracelet off Jane to match mine.....other than that I really don’t know. Bath & body works stuff. She likes that. Maybe just a couple clothing items; she just got a bunch this week.

My 14 yr old really wants a $300 VR thing too. If I get it, he knows that’s the ONLY thing he’s getting.

what I do know, is we will be going easy this year bc Disney trip needs paid for in January for us 🤣 so I’ll be stalking different deal groups online to find things!

Thanks everyone for the ideas and conversation. I genuinely love these kind of discussion threads for Christmas :)

So far I've gotten my DD:
A Lego Friends set
Some slime ingredients purchased during Prime Days. She will play with anything but prefers ingredients bought over kits. I will regret this purchase later - haha
Nintendo Switch Online Family Membership and Memory Card (Also purchased during Prime Days)
Some colorful USB chargers for her iPad. My DH puts this in my stocking every year and last year she ended up using/killing most of them so I decided its time for her to have her own.
Crayola Aroma Putty... not familiar with this but anything in the slime/putty/fluff category is up her alley

DH's parents got her a bean bag chair today for her birthday, she has a loft bed and has a lamp clipped on that she uses for reading.. all of your all's ideas are great, some we have already checked off :)

She also sat down with the prime catalog and circled stuff, so I created her a wishlist on Amazon to share with grandparents and "Santa" can see what is left in the end. Some ideas she has on there are:

A Softball 7x7 practice net and Tee (she is a softball player and DH says he can set this up in our basement for winter) . (I was thinking Santa might bring this as his big gift, but one set of grandparents today decided they wanted this, so Santa will save his money)

Two different water bottles - one softball related and one just ombre girly colors. With having to take a bottle everyday to school and then twice a week for softball games plus practice, we could use a couple more in the rotation

Two books in a new (I think?) Series called Penny Porter, about softball pitcher (Someone mentioned a Kindle, she got one last Christmas but hasn't quite gravitated to digital books yet but we will keep trying)

CatKid book by the creators of Dog Man, which she really likes.

Softball homeplate and bases she can play outside with in the warmer months

Fuji Instax film (someone suggested the camera above, she got that last Christmas and still enjoys it)

I added a robe and raincoat, which she needs probably more than wants :)

Nintendo Switch Games - Just Dance 2021, Luigi's Mansion 3, and Mario Kart with wheels

Adidas Superstar Sneakers - she actually picked these herself surprisingly for my kiddo who isn't much into clothes yet

A table tennis set (no table)

National Geographic Mega Slime Kit and Putty Lab

Two LOL OMG Dolls and a couple LOL balls

Bugs in the kitchen Boardgame

National Geographic Marble Run - this one I am perplexed about. She said they played it in her gifted and talented group last year and she loved it. And I would love to hold onto her childlike wants more so than her teenager ones. But it's $84 and I just wonder how much it would truly be used?

Lego Minecraft set

MyPIllow bed pillow and MyPillow travel pillow. No idea why really except she is truly a marketing person's dream and loves the commercials....

Just bumping this thread! I am looking for one or two more ideas for my non-girly 10 year old!

I was hoping for ideas for a 11 year old boy who loves gaming, but needs something else to entertain him. Does anyone have any ideas? I have made him a quilt and flannel pilowcases before. He is really good with numbers, math is easy for him. But I am really wanting something besides gaming. Any thoughts?
I have granddaughters too, and think they are easier to buy for than boys.

My 10 year old daughter wanted one of those oversized wearable blanket hoodie things, so my MIL got her that and a new Warriors boxed set. My SIL got her a reading light that you wear around your neck. They also got her iTunes and Disney gift cards.

I wound up buying a big plush Child/Grogu doll for a great price on Amazon. She’s obsessed with him.

Box Lunch has some really cute Disney merchandise. I bought some Winnie the Pooh stuff from there, too. Now I’m really done shopping!

I was hoping for ideas for a 11 year old boy who loves gaming, but needs something else to entertain him. Does anyone have any ideas? I have made him a quilt and flannel pilowcases before. He is really good with numbers, math is easy for him. But I am really wanting something besides gaming. Any thoughts?
I have granddaughters too, and think they are easier to buy for than boys.

When my son was that age I always looked for paper crafts, physical games and anything else that tied into the video games he was playing.
For example
https://www.amazon.com/Minecraft-Pa...7SJ5YVWC18Z&psc=1&refRID=DKJPDP8737SJ5YVWC18Z
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Jenga-Fo...tacking-Game-for-Kids-Ages-8-and-Up/294907817
https://www.lego.com/en-ca/themes/minecraft
Another thing you might want to consider is some kind of computer coding toy or device that uses fun ways to teach coding.

This one is a for a little bit older but this gives you the idea

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XC8T8G...ormat=strip&impressionTimestamp=1607343668129[/URL]

When my son was that age I always looked for paper crafts, physical games and anything else that tied into the video games he was playing.
For example
https://www.amazon.com/Minecraft-Pa...7SJ5YVWC18Z&psc=1&refRID=DKJPDP8737SJ5YVWC18Z
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Jenga-Fo...tacking-Game-for-Kids-Ages-8-and-Up/294907817
https://www.lego.com/en-ca/themes/minecraft
Another thing you might want to consider is some kind of computer coding toy or device that uses fun ways to teach coding.

This one is a for a little bit older but this gives you the idea

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XC8T8G...ormat=strip&impressionTimestamp=1607343668129[/URL]

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond:)
He loves fortnite, so that is the one I will try to get at Walmart. Thanks again for all the links to try.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter