(Another) DLR vs WDW post

sonjaandsue

Mouseketeer
Since we went to WDW for the first time in January and just got back from our first visit to DLR, I clearly have the expertise to weight in on this subject. :rolleyes1

It's no secret, we enjoyed DLR more (or I wouldn't be posting it here). I totally think this is a matter of individual preference, because, really you can't go wrong between DLR & WDW. Here are the reasons for our preference:

1. Size. WDW kicked our butts - we were too slow and too tired to see all of what we wanted to see and skipped alot of the fun details to make it to the big things that we wanted to see. We felt like deer in the headlights. We stayed at the Poly and it still took us 45 mins to get from hotel to first ride at Magic Kingdom. For other parks, it was 60-90 mins. At DLR, we stayed at GCH and could be at a ride in 15-20 mins. No buses, monorails, trams, etc.

2. Aesthetics. DLR has a mid-century aesthetic, WDW has a 70s aesthetic. I can appreciate both but I love the mid-century feel of DLR. One example is the castle - I know it is small but I love the colors and design of it.

3. Culture -we like SoCal vibe better than Central FLA culture. Totally personal preference and I won't go into details because I don't want to offend anyone.

4. No ADRs needed. We loved being able to get into DTD restaurants without a reservation - we only made a couple of ADRs at WDW and we had to plan our whole day around them.

If DLR had Boma, it would be just perfect!!

DL wins for me hands down as well.

I do like the food, hotel choices and other amenities at WDW but as far as parks I will take DLR's two over WDW's four anyday.

How many days did you need at DLR at a "slower pace" compared to WDW?

It depends. 3 weekdays when it is slow, which often mean no Fireworks or Fantasmic showing, plus other entertainment limited. 4 when you add a weekend day or Friday to get full entertainment. 5 when busy.

I also went to WDW for the first time this year followed shortly by a trip to DL. Completely agree with everything you said - DLR just had that special magic for me and will always win out!

We spent a week at both places. At DLR, that allowed us to do every ride and show that we wanted to do. (Not EVERY ride and show however and not every inch of the parks by any means). And we were able to do our favorites multiple times. (My son had a blast - we got to ride Star Tours, Buzz Lightyear and Grizzly River Run six times each!). We only spent about 6 hours a day at the parks, our longest day was about 9 hours when we saw World of Color.

I am going to DLR for the first time in December. I am a verteran WDW girl so I hope that DLR doesn't become my new favorite. The plane ride is 5 hours longer. :rolleyes:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter