• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Another ride question?

MarieS

DIS Veteran
I am trying to make a list of what rides my sons can go on that they would be able to stay in their wheelchairs or that have a wheelchair accessible car. The younger one I may be abe to have sit with me, but the older one would definitely need to stay in his chair.
I have these so far:
Winnie the Pooh
Buzz Lightyear
Kilimanjaro Safari
The Land boat cruise

Are there any others? They can't go on anything too jarring for medical reasons, so we are planning to do the shows and a few rides.
Thanks!
Marie

I'm sure I don't know them all but add:

Ellen's Energy Adventure
The ride in Mexico
The one with Eric Idle and Figment(can't remember the name but it used to be Journey into Imagination)
The Great Movie Ride
The Backstage Tour/Catastrophe Canyon

You need to make a visit to the official Disney website. ::yes::
This link will take you to a list of all the rides/shows with the type of access they have (stay in wheelchair, transfer to a ride car). That way, you can print out a list so you can start planning. The informtion is also coded on the park maps. if there is a little wheelchair symbol, you can stay in a wheelchair the whole time. A little person getting out of an ecv and into a wheelchair means people in ecvs have to switch to a manual wheelchair at the ride entrance. A little person getting out of the wheelchair means you need to transfer to a ride car.

This link takes you to the official Disney FAQs page, which has a link to the gudebook for Guests with Disabilities for each park. They are not very detailed, but do have basic info about each ride/attraction.

Most of the rides have room for only one wheelchair at a time in the accessible car. I know these rides hold more than one wheelchair:
  • Small World
  • Railroad at MK
  • El Rio del Tiempo in Mexico
  • Ellen's Energy Adventure (although the wheelchair spots in each car are not together; they are on the ends of rows with about 15 feet or so of bnech seating between them
  • Backlot Tour - Catastrophe Canyon
  • Kilimanjaro Safari at AK
The rest have single seat wheelchair cars, so if you have 2 who both need to stay in their wheelchairs, you need to ride with one at a time.

AK is a good park for wheelchair users (although the themed paths are sort of narrow and can be bumpy due to the theming). There are a lot of live shows there that are good: Lion King, Tarzan and the Bird show are all great. The observation trails are completely accessible.

if you think of any more questions, ask away.
We have some frequent posters who travel with 2 children in wheelchairs who are very helpful with advice.

Forgot to add that the shows or movies should not be a problem at all.

Thanks for all the good info. I was reading the link on accessibility and wondered how easy/hard it was to actually use the train at AK to get to the conservation station. My boys like petting zoos and I know the link said you can use the wildlife express with wheelchairs. However, my experience has sometimes been that something can be technically accessible and be difficult to use. Has anyone taken this train with a wheelchair?
Thanks!
Marie
PS. Seeing the countdown clock makes our trip seem more real!

Train is accessible but only one wheelchair per car so they boys wouldhave to be separate for the ride.

Don't know how old the boys are, but my son loves the Railroad at the MK, too-- two wheelchairs can fit in one car. Also, the Safari is great, but it can be pretty bumpy and jarring--- my son loved it in the past, but not this year-- "too scary" he said. You've come to the right place for questions!

There is a also a petting zoo at Fort Wilderness (at least there used to be). DD doesn't like petting zoos because they usually have some goats and the goats come after the rubber in her wheelchair tires.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter