Another stupid Disney articale

Yeah, that woman needs to stay home and never return.

Sounds like Disney is not her kind of place, nor is traveling with HER children.

Have seen many like her at the parks and often wonder why they are there.

She has NO reality check and I would argue some of her 17 complaints.

Sadly it's articles like this that freak people out about their trips.

I didn’t think the article was that bad, many of her points are valid and things that have been discussed here. Disney trips can be exhausting, expensive, some people have bad manners, lines can be long, strollers everywhere, lack of places to sit, etc. I suspect some of her opening commentary was exaggerated a bit for humor, but there are things I have done that I didn’t like because my kids wanted to.

Made up nonsense that doesn't warrant a comment. Correct me if I'm wrong but the HISTK playground doesn't exist anymore. Sounds more like Disney isn't for the parents of my kids than the other way around.

Obviously she is a person who goes places just to try to find things to complain about. However, she has a valid point with the stroller battering ram complaint! Just strollers in general are at the top of my short complaint list about Disney.

For those who don't want to read, the article is a click through list of things that supposedly make Disney annoying for parents (who apparently only visit to make their kids happy). Here are the complaints (and my responses):

1. It's expensive.
It's a vacation. If you wanted to save money, you should have stayed home. That being said, for me at least, it's a budget vacation. I'll stop going to Disney once it starts costing me less than international airline tickets.
2. Balloons are expensive.
Balloons are a rip off. Everyone knows that. Learn to tell your kid 'No' once and a while.
3. There's only one Starbucks in the Magic Kingdom.
You...are you kidding me? This is a complaint? You were just @#!$&* about expenses, but you can get enough $4 coffees? This has got to be hipster trolling, right?
4. Stollers. Both the parking and aggressive stroller pushing.
I found the stroller parking very convenient. That being said, I trained my kid to not need a stroller early on so that I only had to deal with that ruckus once. As for the bad stroller drivers, here's a hint: If you're still tied to your stroller you are part of the problem.
5. People are rude.
Well, don't bother taking your next family trip to NYC, then.
6. The characters take breaks.
That's right, you're paying top dollar for those minimum wage slaves to be at your toddler's beck and call. Who cares if they keel over from heat exhaustion!
7. You wait in line for everything and little kids can't take it.
Okay, first, some kids can be patient in lines. Usually it's the ones who have been told 'no' a lot. That being said, it's true that young children (and many adults) find waiting to be difficult. Disney offers certain accomodations for people with disabilities that make line waiting painful. They also offer Fastpasses for every guest that pays even a modicum of attention when planning their trip. Regardless, please tell me of this mythical land you like to visit where popular attractions have no lines.
8. There's nowhere to sit.
Okay, this is just plain BS. There are places to sit everywhere in WDW. I think what you meant to say is, "We can never find a good seat for shows/fireworks/parades." Yes, those are crowded events. So, if you want a seat you really need to plan ahead, just as if you were attening your home town's Fourth of July parade/fireworks/events. Personally? I just avoid all situations where I can't get a relatively good view within the last few minutes.
9. You will say 'No' a lot to your kids.
I want you all to know I actually started this writing these responses before I got to this part in the article. Really?! You have a problem saying 'no' to your kids all the time?! I would never have guessed!!
10. Your kids will eat a lot of junk food.
This is not untrue, but it's sort of like complaining about Christmas because your kids will eat too many cookies.
11. Your kids might get scared on some rides.
How is this Disney's problem? Some kids are afraid of things. Some kids aren't. If you don't know which type your kids are, perhaps a theme park is not the best choice in vacation for you.
12. Your kids will ask you if the characters are real.
Let me get this straight, you are displeased by the fact that your child shows advanced perception, the ability to discern fantasy from reality, and a healthy dose of skepticism at a young age? The way you answer this question is your own choice, but how can you be unhappy about receiving it?
13. There's only 1 way to meet Anna and Elsa.
I actually had to look this one up, and it seems like she's right. You can only meet Anna and Elsa one way. Mind you, they appear in a variety of shows and the like, but one-on-one attention does require a fastpass or a long line wait. So, I guess her complaint, in this matter, is real. Still, it's not a particularly good complaint. Oh, woe is me! I have to waste one of my precious fastpasses on something my children want to do, but which is not a thrill ride!
14. This is a multi-part complaint: 1. Magic Bands don't always work. 2. Kids misplace their Magic Bands. 3. Fastpasses need to be made in advance.
1. You mean technology is sometimes glitchy? I never would have thought! 2. YOUR kids misplace their Magic Bands. My 3-year-old never did. Maybe it's all the times I tell her 'no' about things. Like, "No, don't play with that or it will be taken away from you." 3. Okay, in all honesty, this bothers me, too. I preferred the old Fastpass system. But you know what? I'm not going to complain about a system which allows me to get on headliners without a long line wait, regardless of whether I think there might be a better way of handling it.
15. The kids play areas are crowded.
I...guess? Not that I've particularly noticed. I mean...more than a normal playground? Look, if this sort of thing is a problem for you, then why not just avoid these areas?
16. Someone will get sick.
Yeah...I think this just might be your family again. No one in my family has ever gotten ill at Disney. I can't say the same for a lot of our other vacations. Regardless, I'm trying to figure out how you've determined that your family members got sick from Disney as opposed to getting sick from the plane, the airport, their school, their work, the grocery store, or any other of a million random places they could have picked up a bug. The fact that they may show symptoms while on your vacation is just poor timing.
17. It's exhausting.
Next time try taking your kids on an 8 mile hike through Yosemite. I think you don't know what the word 'exhausting' means. If you don't want to be worn out, then rest. If you don't want to rest and waste your expensive vacation, accept that being tired is a natural outcome of this situation.

Long story short, if you're going to Disney just for your kids, then yes, you might have a less than perfect time. Personally? I go to Disney for me, and DD is just lucky enough to be allowed to tag along. If you view your vacations that way, and take time to do what YOU want (regardles of their desires), then you might find you like it better.

Last edited:
Well at least she took her kids. I laughed at these complaints. I started talking my kid when she was 5 and she is still at 17 a park commando. We got there at rope drop and I had to drag her out at closing. Not all kids get tired. And everyone knows the rule about Anna and Elsa since they are the real princesses there cannot possibly be 2 meet and greets in one park.
I did laugh at ZephyrDucks comment on Starbucks 4 dollars? my kid costs me 7 to 8 every time we stop at that place. And I was not happy to find out they had invaded the world.

Umm, so I guess those of us without kids shouldn't bother going any more?

9. You will say 'No' a lot to your kids.

This one is too funny. I'm with ZephyrDucks, I didn't have any problems with my kid in lines when he was young because I said no to him often at home. (I was also famous for our trips to the bathroom when in public places and let me tell you, using the potty was NOT what those trips were for) If more people actually said no to their kids every once in awhile they might grow up to be responsible adults.

I'm glad I didn't read the article, sounds like a bunch of bull hocky to me. I don't think we ever went on a vacation that wasn't expensive (try going on a dive vacation) or that the kid when was young didn't have to be told no to at least once. We don't do park open to park close, never did and never will, when my son was little we went back to the resort when he started showing signs of being tired then went back out later, now we go back to the resort when I start showing signs of being tired.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!