Another Thanksgiving question- Paper plates or washable plates?

it depends on our mood and how many people will be dining with us. Over the years we've done both. When we go the paper route, we use heavy duty chinet plates for dinner and then get holiday themed smaller plates for appetizers and dessert

I pulled out my Christmas dishes and use them starting tomorrow and a few more times including Christmas and New Years. They have to be handwashed but I love them.
Pflatzgraff Winterberry is the name.

My family does the dishes while I relax. It's the least they can do after I cook a good meal for them. LOL

China and the good flatware and stemware. Not to be confused with the Christmas dishes though. Our Thanksgiving is too far in advance of the season to be able to use them.

Real dishes for the main meal. I have good china for four. Any larger gathering is everyday Fiesta ware. I also have a large set of Christmas themed stone wear.

Dessert will be on paper plates with a whimsical turkey print.

Hand wash china is used for every special event dinner. The only time I can remember eating off paper plates was one Easter when my parents kitchen was being remodeled and they didn’t have a sink to wash dishes.

Paper. Well, the hard paper Chinet platters.

After dinner I want to spend time with my kids and grandkids not washing dishes. We sit outside while the kids play or sit around talking about anything and everything.

I wash dishes every other day, the special days are for family not more work.

Paper since I don’t have a dishwasher. There are lots of nice disposable dinnerware choices now. We use the kind that looks like crystal.

Washable for my family of three. Paper for my extended family at Christmas. Unfortunately, we live too far away to celebrate Thanksgiving & Christmas with extended family. Tomorrow it's real plates.

I own 12 place settings of fancy Christmas dishes and 12 place settings of other special occasion dishes along with stemware, serving ware, silverware, napkin rings, and table linens. I really enjoy using them but this Thanksgiving we aren't because we have too many people and I'm recovering from knee surgery. We are using our regular linens but I purchased on Amazon some fancy plastic disposable dishes, disposable silverware that's silver colored, and disposable wine glasses. The dishes are ivory with gold rims and don't look like plastic upon first glance.

My mom switched to plastic plates while I was growing up. We didn’t have a dishwasher and she didn’t want to spend hours washing dishes. It was fine.

I like using nice dishes for special occasions such as Thanksgiving. That is just my personal preference. If somebody wanted to use paper plates, it is not a problem. I wouldn't complain either way.

For years my mom used her china at all holidays. It's a beautiful set that my Dad bought her when he was stationed in Okinawa. But every piece had to be hand washed and very gently. It's an entire set of like a 24 place setting, all the serving pieces. Just huge, doesn't really fit in the china cabinet.

My sister and I always spent hours washing this stuff. So finally one holiday, Mom was getting us all to tell her what we were bringing. Dsis listed her stuff and added "and I am bringing paper plates and luvsjack is bringing the cups". Mom just looked at her, smiled and said "I was wondering when y'all would get tired to washing all those dishes".

After that the china was used only when there were 8 or less of us gathering or Mom just wanted to take them out for a special guest.

Since I'm only having 7 to dinner, my girls will be hand washing fine china. Lol.

Whatever is easiest for the host. I am not going to stick my nose up and judge people because of the dishware they use. That's just stupid. The plates are not going to make or break the meal (unless they are thin and the gravy soaks through lol). The day is about family and friends... not about showing off.

Whatever is easiest for the host. I am not going to stick my nose up and judge people because of the dishware they use. That's just stupid. The plates are not going to make or break the meal (unless they are thin and the gravy soaks through lol). The day is about family and friends... not about showing off.
It's not "showing off" to want to treat your family and dearest friends to a special meal eaten off the best dishes you have. So I wouldn't want anyone sticking their nose up at that choice, either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!