Another type of abuse

I had a teacher in 4th grade who punched me on top of my head because she didn't like that I handed out test papers to my left instead of my right. I told my Mom and she went to the principal. It was more than 40 years ago so I'm a bit vague on the results. I don't think anything happened to her.

I've had to report teachers for bad behavior and most of the time the administration sided with the teacher. It's a shame because although we've been blessed with some awesome teachers there are some that need to be kicked out of the profession pronto.

I had a teacher in 8th grade who told the class ‘all the girls here are going to grow up to be (female dogs)’. I don’t remember the context at all.

In passing I told my mom and she ended up having a meeting with the principal. The teacher wasn’t fired and I don’t know if he ended up being disciplined or not.

I was pulled out of a class where the teacher was allowing the boys to harass the girls. According to the teacher, "boys will be boys."

Nothing happened to the teacher or the boys, but my parents made sure I got out that classroom.

I have been thinking a lot about the Harvey Weinstein case, and how some of the victims have been shamed for not reporting it sooner, or have had their story doubted.

And I was thinking about another type of abuse: verbally abusive coaches or teachers. If you've reported it, was there backlash against you? Was anything done about it? https://psychcentral.com/lib/the-consequences-of-verbally-abusive-athletic-coaches/
We didn't, and I never did feel abused. But if my wrestling and football coaches coached today they would be fired within 5 minuets.

We didn't, and I never did feel abused. But if my wrestling and football coaches coached today they would be fired within 5 minuets.

Ha! I guess my high school football coaches were pretty abusive, but we didn't think of it that way, either because of the times or the nature of the sport.

When we watched game film on Mondays, we had to wear our helmets, and the coaches would whack us with broomsticks on the head when we screwed up on the film. The defensive coach was a little old guy, and he would run up and literally kick us on the butt if we screwed up during practice. Plus there was the usual face mask grabbing and yelling.

I don't think anyone ever reported it.

I was a cheerleader all though junior & high school. One year, after we got our new uniforms, we had to put them on & get in a line facing our cheerleading coach & school principal.

We were "inspected" to make sure the uniforms fit correctly & that we looked nice wearing them. We had to turn to both sides & turn around backwards so they could examine us from all sides.

I remember a couple of girls were told to "suck in their stomachs" because their stomachs were poking out too much. The principal kinda laughed & said, "I think some of you may need to work harder on your sit-ups."

We were also told to stand up straight w/ our shoulders back & chests out, & I was instructed to roll my waistband because my skirt wasn't short enough.

I don't think anyone ever complained to anyone (I know I didn't) - we just thought that was the way it was. I do know, though, that I was hyper-conscious of how I looked in my cheerleading uniform.

Today, I don't think a cheerleading coach & principal could get away w/ the "suck your stomach in" kinda comments.

I remember in 5th grade a student had moved away and left her notebook and I just made a comment one day that it was cool. Then it disappeared. She accused me of taking it. I did not take it. But to this day I felt like she did not like me , even though I told the truth.

An x coworker and I were just saying that our stories were similar to Weinstein (not sexual but retaliation fear, HR backing management etc). I can now tell what happened. A few people on here know already and suggested I keep quiet due to retaliation but it's the point, I don't care any longer.

I worked for the State of CA for 22 years, 13 years at the vocational nursing board (practical nursing in other states). December 2011 I had a manager come at me with her fists in front of a witness (the above ex coworker). I turned and ran. If not, her fists would have hit me as they were in a forward motion. This manager is a licensed RN working there under her license. I immediately reported to my higher bosses as my manager was on vacation. They did not follow procedure and did not report it to the Div of Investigation like they were suppose to. They told my manager upon her return that they weren't going to do anything and hoped it would blow over. (I found that out 5 years later when manager retired). Now I'm in a position, if I report it, I'm reporting not only the manager but my big bosses for failure to follow procedure . (by big, I mean a boss hired by the governor's appointees). My life would be made miserable. So I suffered for years. Very well known that the EEO, higher management, department heads back up management.

I had issues but didn't know what they were. Taking time off, crying, getting 4 hours sleep, nightmares etc. October 2015 in a meeting with new manager and manager that had come at me with her fists. Manager with the fist incident began yelling. I began shaking and had to get out. My manager told me to call my doctor. Long story short, sent to workers comp dr and later diagnosed with PTSD and given notice that I required accommodations due to the PTSD to stay away from that manager with the fists. Previous manager just had me go through her if I had questions for the manager with the fists.

March 2016 we got a new big boss from the governor's appointees. I gave her the accommodation request and she told me I had to find another job. Keep in mind, PTSD is an ADA disability, the request could easily be accommodated since this RN with the fists did not work in my area. Not only did they not help with my disability (which was caused at this place of employment), my big boss put this manager with the fists as my direct lead now causing direct interaction daily. The exact opposite of my accommodation request. My doctor sensing they weren't doing anything suggested I file a complaint against her RN license which I did. Violence in the workplace (I wasn't the first nor the last) doesn't have to be a clinical setting. The RN Board closed it with no investigation which did not surprise me.

June 8th after returning from bereavement leave, I was written up by big boss on 3 charges which were false. Allegations that I said or did something to certain coworkers. These coworkers are witnesses for me that I never did such a thing to any of them. Completely made up. I was threatened with termination. During a meeting with my union rep and the department's rep, this big boss pulled out my complaint from the RN Board and said, "this started it all". My union rep asked her what she was doing with that as it was suppose to be confidential. She said that they (the RN Board) sent it to her because I filed a false and vindictive report. (I cannot verify if they actually said that but it is what my big boss alleged). In any way, they breached my confidentiality.

My desk got moved away from my unit to an undesirable location, I was not allowed to train, I was not interviewed for promotions (it was for lead in my unit for which I trained every single person in that unit as myself and another employee had been there for years). I was not even called in for an interview.

This is no secret as our Board was in the news. We were under legislative audit. I was interviewed by the Attorney Generals office quite a few times. My big boss followed me one day, pinching and grabbing my waist 3 times. I was so shocked, I turned into the first cubicle I could to get away from her. The EEO later said, why didn't I tell her to stop because she (the EEO investigatior) would have told her to stop. I had this discussion with my therapist and asked the EEO if she was familiar with PTSD and of course, she said yes. She is not a licensed therapist, has no idea how someone with PTSD caused by physical threats from a manager would handle it but putting her 2 cents in. You can see where this headed by the EEO.

It got worse. I was called into meetings 3 times a week. Accused of things I did not do. It was obvious I was a target. My life was miserable.

My big boss was put on administrative leave and later resigned. The manager that I filed the complaint against was named interim big boss.

There is state and department policy that any report of violence or attempted violence must be reported within (I believe 48 hours) by management. This was not done.

They told me I had to find another job when presenting them with an accommodation request, not only did they not do the request, they did the exact opposite. (It would not have affected the work place at all and easily done). Violated ADA policy. EEO later asked me why I didn't file the accommodation request myself when I saw management wasn't doing it. Maybe because the forms all have management signatures and at this point, tired of the department making excuses for management not following departmental and state procedures.

False paperwork filed against me.

If I had a physical mark instead of mental (PTSD), it would not have been so easily covered up. The eye witness to the attempted violence has never been interviewed to this day.

The RN Board violated my confidentiality by giving my boss a copy of my complaint.

Before the big boss left,, she would come to my cubicle, stretch out her arms and legs blocking the entrance and just stand there smiling at me. (she was extremely tall and lanky). It creeped my coworker in the next cubicle out who was working there part time as a retired supervisor.

At no time has anyone, the EEO, the Division of Investigation within the department, HR no one has spoken to any of my witnesses even though I have given them names and phone numbers. The EEO did speak to one person, my new manager who said............no.............I never did any of that LOL What exactly did they think she was going to say? Why yes, I lied to her and was harassing her

I have the eye witness to the attempted violence, 2 managers willing to be a witness that they were covering 5 it up, the three witnesses to the false write up, a supervisor that was in the next cubicle etc. Not a single one was spoken to. It got so bad that when another worker wanted to come say hello to me, they'd bring a fake paper in case we got caught talking (just saying hello, how's your day). There were a lot of things I was accused of, too many to mention. One example: 2 employees talking bout something 5 feet from me while I was bending over getting a soda out of the fridge and I get called in for it (not the 2 employees) It was getting old and mentally exhausting. I sent my manager an email asking her to file a hostile work environment complaint for me (per procedure-you know, the worthless departmental handbook they don't have to adhere to?) She told me to go outside and have a cigarette It was never filed. I was told it was a violation of my EEO rights per the Attorney Generals office . Of course, another excuse was given.

The end of May 2017 after being called in for more meetings (someone contacted the newspaper and we have proof it came from work computer....um no) I went to cal pers and put in my retirement papers for the next day. I went into work and told a few people in my unit it was my last day. They ran out and got a cake and gift. We had a small get together with about 75% of the employees. They were begging me to try to stick it out but I was mentally drained. As I was leaving, my coworker, the part time retired supervisor said xxxx it, I'm out of here with you LOL She gave our manager her badge and we walked out together.

It is totally amazing to me how they band together. It's actually quite frightening. They can violate state and departmental policy, they can violate the ADA. violate EEO rights and it's always an excuse. The odd thing is, I just got a letter from worker's comp that they are still working on my case I filed over a year ago. I thought it was null/void when I retired.

It baffles me because I am normally a very strong person. I can't understand how someone coming at me with their fists would cause PTSD. The therapist thinks it has something to do with thinking I can handle anything and let it simmer.

That's how big employers can cover and hide and make your life miserable. My life would have been easier had I never said a word.

I don’t recall any bad teachers/coaches but I grew up in the 60s and 70s so “bad” back then is different from “bad” now. The world is very different. But I have had no teacher/coach who stands out in my own memory as being bad so I guess it was OK.

Early 90s, I had one bad thing experience with a boss but I can be very strong willed when I want to be. I ended up leaving a few months later for a better job while their “investigation” continued. At my exit interview I provided the concrete proof of her behavior (falsifying a record to make it look like I had done it on a date that I was on my honeymoon). A week after I left she was demoted to “special projects” and then she left.

I have a pretty thick skin so stuff that other people consider harrassment I just kind of deal with head on and then it’s over. DH also tells me that I don’t have the type of personality that people want to attempt to mess with. I’m not sure if that’s good or bad.

I have a whole bunch of baddies from my childhood (70's). Police, priests, nuns, teachers, & older men neighbors.

Police and older men were molesters and rapists.

Nuns and priests were physically and verbally abusive.

I never reported it.

ETA, upon thinking about it.

I never reported it because the abuse was in the OPEN in front of others, so it was accepted.

Last edited:
In 7th grade I went on a school trip to France. For some reason the French teacher threatened to slap me--I think it was the way I was chewing gum??? I wasn't the easiest kid but I also wasn't a trouble maker and I was a very good student.

Thankfully my mom went into the school and made sure I didn't have her for 8th grade French. Unfortunately I had her husband for physics in high school and I'm pretty sure he didn't like me.

I have been thinking a lot about the Harvey Weinstein case, and how some of the victims have been shamed for not reporting it sooner, or have had their story doubted.

And I was thinking about another type of abuse: verbally abusive coaches or teachers. If you've reported it, was there backlash against you? Was anything done about it? https://psychcentral.com/lib/the-consequences-of-verbally-abusive-athletic-coaches/

I hate that lately we are all the victims any time something bad happens. Bad things happen, life goes on. At some point we have to stop playing victim.

An x coworker and I were just saying that our stories were similar to Weinstein (not sexual but retaliation fear, HR backing management etc). I can now tell what happened. A few people on here know already and suggested I keep quiet due to retaliation but it's the point, I don't care any longer.

I worked for the State of CA for 22 years, 13 years at the vocational nursing board (practical nursing in other states). December 2011 I had a manager come at me with her fists in front of a witness (the above ex coworker). I turned and ran. If not, her fists would have hit me as they were in a forward motion. This manager is a licensed RN working there under her license. I immediately reported to my higher bosses as my manager was on vacation. They did not follow procedure and did not report it to the Div of Investigation like they were suppose to. They told my manager upon her return that they weren't going to do anything and hoped it would blow over. (I found that out 5 years later when manager retired). Now I'm in a position, if I report it, I'm reporting not only the manager but my big bosses for failure to follow procedure . (by big, I mean a boss hired by the governor's appointees). My life would be made miserable. So I suffered for years. Very well known that the EEO, higher management, department heads back up management.

I had issues but didn't know what they were. Taking time off, crying, getting 4 hours sleep, nightmares etc. October 2015 in a meeting with new manager and manager that had come at me with her fists. Manager with the fist incident began yelling. I began shaking and had to get out. My manager told me to call my doctor. Long story short, sent to workers comp dr and later diagnosed with PTSD and given notice that I required accommodations due to the PTSD to stay away from that manager with the fists. Previous manager just had me go through her if I had questions for the manager with the fists.

March 2016 we got a new big boss from the governor's appointees. I gave her the accommodation request and she told me I had to find another job. Keep in mind, PTSD is an ADA disability, the request could easily be accommodated since this RN with the fists did not work in my area. Not only did they not help with my disability (which was caused at this place of employment), my big boss put this manager with the fists as my direct lead now causing direct interaction daily. The exact opposite of my accommodation request. My doctor sensing they weren't doing anything suggested I file a complaint against her RN license which I did. Violence in the workplace (I wasn't the first nor the last) doesn't have to be a clinical setting. The RN Board closed it with no investigation which did not surprise me.

June 8th after returning from bereavement leave, I was written up by big boss on 3 charges which were false. Allegations that I said or did something to certain coworkers. These coworkers are witnesses for me that I never did such a thing to any of them. Completely made up. I was threatened with termination. During a meeting with my union rep and the department's rep, this big boss pulled out my complaint from the RN Board and said, "this started it all". My union rep asked her what she was doing with that as it was suppose to be confidential. She said that they (the RN Board) sent it to her because I filed a false and vindictive report. (I cannot verify if they actually said that but it is what my big boss alleged). In any way, they breached my confidentiality.

My desk got moved away from my unit to an undesirable location, I was not allowed to train, I was not interviewed for promotions (it was for lead in my unit for which I trained every single person in that unit as myself and another employee had been there for years). I was not even called in for an interview.

This is no secret as our Board was in the news. We were under legislative audit. I was interviewed by the Attorney Generals office quite a few times. My big boss followed me one day, pinching and grabbing my waist 3 times. I was so shocked, I turned into the first cubicle I could to get away from her. The EEO later said, why didn't I tell her to stop because she (the EEO investigatior) would have told her to stop. I had this discussion with my therapist and asked the EEO if she was familiar with PTSD and of course, she said yes. She is not a licensed therapist, has no idea how someone with PTSD caused by physical threats from a manager would handle it but putting her 2 cents in. You can see where this headed by the EEO.

It got worse. I was called into meetings 3 times a week. Accused of things I did not do. It was obvious I was a target. My life was miserable.

My big boss was put on administrative leave and later resigned. The manager that I filed the complaint against was named interim big boss.

There is state and department policy that any report of violence or attempted violence must be reported within (I believe 48 hours) by management. This was not done.

They told me I had to find another job when presenting them with an accommodation request, not only did they not do the request, they did the exact opposite. (It would not have affected the work place at all and easily done). Violated ADA policy. EEO later asked me why I didn't file the accommodation request myself when I saw management wasn't doing it. Maybe because the forms all have management signatures and at this point, tired of the department making excuses for management not following departmental and state procedures.

False paperwork filed against me.

If I had a physical mark instead of mental (PTSD), it would not have been so easily covered up. The eye witness to the attempted violence has never been interviewed to this day.

The RN Board violated my confidentiality by giving my boss a copy of my complaint.

Before the big boss left,, she would come to my cubicle, stretch out her arms and legs blocking the entrance and just stand there smiling at me. (she was extremely tall and lanky). It creeped my coworker in the next cubicle out who was working there part time as a retired supervisor.

At no time has anyone, the EEO, the Division of Investigation within the department, HR no one has spoken to any of my witnesses even though I have given them names and phone numbers. The EEO did speak to one person, my new manager who said............no.............I never did any of that LOL What exactly did they think she was going to say? Why yes, I lied to her and was harassing her

I have the eye witness to the attempted violence, 2 managers willing to be a witness that they were covering 5 it up, the three witnesses to the false write up, a supervisor that was in the next cubicle etc. Not a single one was spoken to. It got so bad that when another worker wanted to come say hello to me, they'd bring a fake paper in case we got caught talking (just saying hello, how's your day). There were a lot of things I was accused of, too many to mention. One example: 2 employees talking bout something 5 feet from me while I was bending over getting a soda out of the fridge and I get called in for it (not the 2 employees) It was getting old and mentally exhausting. I sent my manager an email asking her to file a hostile work environment complaint for me (per procedure-you know, the worthless departmental handbook they don't have to adhere to?) She told me to go outside and have a cigarette It was never filed. I was told it was a violation of my EEO rights per the Attorney Generals office . Of course, another excuse was given.

The end of May 2017 after being called in for more meetings (someone contacted the newspaper and we have proof it came from work computer....um no) I went to cal pers and put in my retirement papers for the next day. I went into work and told a few people in my unit it was my last day. They ran out and got a cake and gift. We had a small get together with about 75% of the employees. They were begging me to try to stick it out but I was mentally drained. As I was leaving, my coworker, the part time retired supervisor said xxxx it, I'm out of here with you LOL She gave our manager her badge and we walked out together.

It is totally amazing to me how they band together. It's actually quite frightening. They can violate state and departmental policy, they can violate the ADA. violate EEO rights and it's always an excuse. The odd thing is, I just got a letter from worker's comp that they are still working on my case I filed over a year ago. I thought it was null/void when I retired.

It baffles me because I am normally a very strong person. I can't understand how someone coming at me with their fists would cause PTSD. The therapist thinks it has something to do with thinking I can handle anything and let it simmer.

That's how big employers can cover and hide and make your life miserable. My life would have been easier had I never said a word.

I am so sorry that happened to you.

I completely understand having PTSD after an incident like that. Your manager should never come at you physically. Unfortunately, particularly in healthcare, violence and abuse are often swept under the rug.

When I was in elementary school I had a teacher make me sit in the corner on a stool and wear a dunce cap.

My teacher had the dunce cap for decoration in her classroom. One day I got the idea to pick it up and hold it like a megaphone and cheer like I had seen the cheerleaders doing at a pep rally. My punishment was to sit in the corner and wear it for a while. I imagine nowadays a teacher would get in a lot of trouble for doing something like that. I didn't report it or anything, I didn't want my parents to find out I was acting up in class.

There are bad teachers out there, just like there are bad parents. Bad cops, bad judges, bad politicians, just plain old bad people. There are some really good ones too. Most of the time there are processes to weed out the bad.

Teachers in public school are working under contract. If you have an issue with a teacher, make sure the school system is following the grievance section of the contract! Breaking a law will (should?) get someone fired right away, but other issues (the dunce cap situation above) is not against the law - unless it can be shown to be bullying behavior. We had a teacher who needed to replace her filter in class - some of the things she said were crude and ignorant. The process there would be to follow the contract with verbal, then written warning, and on up until fired. They've only fired one teacher in all the years I've been in this school system.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter