Another "WWYD" thread

squirk

Saw what you did and knows who you are.
I am looking at a WDW stay 1/11/18-1/14/18, leaving the Sunday before MLK Day. I just need a studio, and don't much care where, but there is no full availability for a studio on my dates.

I have waitlisted a standard studio at the Poly and Kidani, because I have never stayed at either. I am wondering if I would increase my chances if I switched that Kidani to SSR?

I would determine which of the desired resorts have the most availability for your stay. If any of the possible locations have at least 2 of your 3 nights, book those 2 nights and waitlist the missing night. Then waitlist the entire reservation (all 3 nights) at another location. Then, start stalking inventory for the missing night. Yeah, you have a WL running ... but stalking can't hurt and sometimes helps. ;)

If you can only find 1 night to book now ... I'd still take it as long as I could waitlist the remaining nights together as a single waitlist. That is, if the first or last night is available -- take it and waitlist the two consecutive missing nights as a single waitlist and all three nights at a different property on the other waitlist.

Or ... consider looking for a 1BR, if available? (In truth, I'd book the 1BR before playing any games with a studio ... but that is just me.) Good luck!

I would determine which of the desired resorts have the most availability for your stay. If any of the possible locations have at least 2 of your 3 nights, book those 2 nights and waitlist the missing night. Then waitlist the entire reservation (all 3 nights) at another location. Then, start stalking inventory for the missing night. Yeah, you have a WL running ... but stalking can't hurt and sometimes helps. ;)

If you can only find 1 night to book now ... I'd still take it as long as I could waitlist the remaining nights together as a single waitlist. That is, if the first or last night is available -- take it and waitlist the two consecutive missing nights as a single waitlist and all three nights at a different property on the other waitlist.

Or ... consider looking for a 1BR, if available? (In truth, I'd book the 1BR before playing any games with a studio ... but that is just me.) Good luck!

Thanks! No place has two of my three nights open, unfortunately. There are 1-bdrm SSRs available for my entire stay. I really don’t need all that extra space, though, and it seems like a waste of the ~35-point upcharge.

I would book the SSR and keep the other WLs running, except that I am borrowing from 2018. If I book the SSR, and one of my studio WLs come through, then those 35 extra points will stay in 2017 and will probably expire unused.

Either way, I waste 35 points that I could otherwise use in 2018 UY or bank for 2019. I’d love to secure a third, more attractive option.

Thanks! No place has two of my three nights open, unfortunately. There are 1-bdrm SSRs available for my entire stay. I really don’t need all that extra space, though, and it seems like a waste of the ~35-point upcharge.

I would book the SSR and keep the other WLs running, except that I am borrowing from 2018. If I book the SSR, and one of my studio WLs come through, then those 35 extra points will stay in 2017 and will probably expire unused.

Either way, I waste 35 points that I could otherwise use in 2018 UY or bank for 2019. I’d love to secure a third, more attractive option.
If you are still within your banking period, you could use the borrowed points and bank the current year points. But you'd need to end your waitlist before 30 days out. Otherwise, extra points end up in holding and have to be used before the end of the UY.

If you are still within your banking period, you could use the borrowed points and bank the current year points. But you'd need to end your waitlist before 30 days out. Otherwise, extra points end up in holding and have to be used before the end of the UY.

Thanks. Unfortunately, 2017 is empty, so nothing to bank.

This trip is very impromptu. Had I known it was coming, I would have budgeted my 2017 points accordingly.

Waitlist the resort and studio category that has the most rooms. Also people may have booked SSR because that was the only resort left at the time, they have a waitlist for a different resort that could be filled so SSR might become available.

Hope for the best but plan for the worse. You might want to book a cash reservation as backup.

:earsboy: Bill

Waitlist the resort and studio category that has the most rooms. Also people may have booked SSR because that was the only resort left at the time, they have a waitlist for a different resort that could be filled so SSR might become available.

Hope for the best but plan for the worse. You might want to book a cash reservation as backup.

:earsboy: Bill

Thank you. Yes, I think a discount just came out for my dates, so I will make a cash res for Pop or something.

Go for the 1BR ... and use 24 One Time Use Points to both soften the blow of the extra 35 points required to meet the reservation and to reduce your need to borrow? Repeat to yourself, "It is only money."

(Again, I'm simply partial to 1BR units over studios. Heck, we have a CCV Cabin booked for 4 nights next January and we are just 2 people. I expect irreparable damage to our 'level of expectations' going forward!)

Go for the 1BR ... and use 24 One Time Use Points to both soften the blow of the extra 35 points required to meet the reservation and to reduce your need to borrow? Repeat to yourself, "It is only money."

I am tempted to book the 1-bdrm and just be done with it. I guess I need to book something, even just as backup, by my 60-day window in order to get early FP+.

Which leads to another question: suppose I keep all my waitlists active, but I also make a cash res at Pop as a backup. I am an AP holder. At my 60-day window, none of my waitlists have come through, but because of the Pop res, I am still able to make FP+ reservations. Then, let’s say a week later, one of my waitlists comes through, and I cancel Pop in favor of the DVC studio.

What happens to my FP+ reservations? Do they disappear when I cancel Pop (since Pop was the reservation that allowed the 60-day advance FP+ booking), or do they “stick” since I will nonetheless still have an active reservation with the exact same dates attached to my MDE profile?

I am tempted to book the 1-bdrm and just be done with it. I guess I need to book something, even just as backup, by my 60-day window in order to get early FP+.

Which leads to another question: suppose I keep all my waitlists active, but I also make a cash res at Pop as a backup. I am an AP holder. At my 60-day window, none of my waitlists have come through, but because of the Pop res, I am still able to make FP+ reservations. Then, let’s say a week later, one of my waitlists comes through, and I cancel Pop in favor of the DVC studio.

What happens to my FP+ reservations? Do they disappear when I cancel Pop (since Pop was the reservation that allowed the 60-day advance FP+ booking), or do they “stick” since I will nonetheless still have an active reservation with the exact same dates attached to my MDE profile?

Your FP+ reservations should be fine for 24 hrs. You will get a notice before anything is canceled.

I am looking at a WDW stay 1/11/18-1/14/18, leaving the Sunday before MLK Day. I just need a studio, and don't much care where, but there is no full availability for a studio on my dates.

I have waitlisted a standard studio at the Poly and Kidani, because I have never stayed at either. I am wondering if I would increase my chances if I switched that Kidani to SSR?
For sake of others reading, SSR & OKW would give you the best chance of success. IMO proper use of the waitlist is vital to using DVC going forward.

Aaaand the SSR WL came through. I am still keeping the PVB and Kidani WLs open, just to see if Lady Luck will smile on me again.

Thanks! I was amazed when the CM let me add SSR as a third WL. Obviously, I am now glad he did.
WHAT?? That is really interesting and hopeful news. Perhaps there has been a shift in policy??

WHAT?? That is really interesting and hopeful news. Perhaps there has been a shift in policy??

He described it as “pixie dust”, so I am guessing it’s purely at the CM’s discretion. Perhaps he was throwing me a bone because he knew I didn’t have a snowball’s chance in Hell of filling PVB or Kidani.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter