Antartica, Arctic recommendations anyone?

goodcat

Earning My Ears
I am planning on an expedition (summer vs. winter 2022) the the polar regions. Does anyone have an opinion whether to go Antarctic vs. Arctic (too expensive to do both in the same year)? Also, what travel companies have been used by others on this board?

If Antarctic, would there be recommendation for/against the "skip the Drake Passage" expeditions? I think Quark will fly you from So. America to the base in Antarctic.

I am planning on an expedition (summer vs. winter 2022) the the polar regions. Does anyone have an opinion whether to go Antarctic vs. Arctic (too expensive to do both in the same year)? Also, what travel companies have been used by others on this board?

If Antarctic, would there be recommendation for/against the "skip the Drake Passage" expeditions? I think Quark will fly you from So. America to the base in Antarctic.
I'd be careful with Quark. I know @*WDW*Groupie* had a really bad experience with them due to Coronavirus refund.

Both the Antarctic and the Arctic are on my list, too. I'm leaning toward the Arctic first. It feels as if it could be more active so I want to do that first (but this might just be my imagination?). Not sure if anyone here has done both?

As @CaliforniaGirl09 mentioned above, I do not recommend Quark under any circumstances. They are a very dishonest company that tried hard not to honor the terms and conditions outlined in their contract (which they have now amended, and incidentally tried to force customers that booked before the pandemic hit to be bound by the new ones). I have outlined my experience with them in several places on the disboards, just search my posts or read the 'other options' thread. You can also view their FB page and the BBB to see that they have absolutely no regard for you once they have your money in their hands (they will lie and do anything it takes to try to keep your money, regardless of what their contract with you says -- forewarned is forearmed). Below are a few comments (not mine) from FB:

Quark Expeditions has been such a disappointment and they don't care about their clients. They are refusing to give us a refund even though their terms and conditions clearly state that we are entitled to a refund. They take weeks to respond to emails and they are not being helpful. I tried contacting them prior to the departure date when it became apparent that Covid-19 was becoming a worldwide problem. At that point most cruise companies and other tour companies were cancelling their trips. There had already been a number of Covid infected cruise ships, most of which were under quarantine. Quark said they were still going to do the trip. I voiced my concerns, knowing that many people would be traveling from affected areas and boarding the ship. Quark didn't seem the least bit concerned. It was only when Argentina put very strict entry regulations into place that Quark finally canceled the trip. But then the real nightmare started as they have refused to refund. Terms and conditions are a legally binding document yet Quark is refusing to follow them. It's sickening to see where their priorities lie. Customer service and satisfaction is an unheard of concept at Quark. Instead, it seems they are only after the money (obviously, that is also why they waited until the very last minute to cancel the trip despite knowing there would be many people coming from abroad which would pose a huge health threat to all the passengers and crew onboard). While I understand that this pandemic has hit the travel industry hard, it has also hit us travellers hard. I am now loosing all my money from this trip, not to mention the extra costs of extraordinary expensive flights to get home. Quark on the other hand must be making millions off from the cancellations. At first I didn't want to believe Quark - a company with what looked like a very good reputation - was behaving in such a selfish and non-transparent manner. I booked with Quark because of their apparent "excellent" reputation. But alas, it was all just an illusion and the reality leaves me sad, bitter and disgusted.

Quark's administration is very poor. When a trip is canceled they refuse to provide a refund. Our June 9 trip was canceled and our only option was to reschedule for 2021. But that will probably be canceled as well. How long will they hold our money. Furthermore, they will be adding $600 to the trip in 2021. Insult to injury! Trip insurance does not cover pandemics! Stay away from Quark no matter how lovely the trips!

Sounds like you had a wonderful experience, although for those people that had their cruises cancelled at short notice and will not be given refunds like their terms and conditions stated might not quite agree with you!

Thank you Anna Sarah, Natalie and others for alerting me to the change in Quarks Terms and Conditions. My trip in not until 2021. I emailed Quark and they confirmed that the Terms had indeed changed since my booking (to my detriment) and that these were the new Terms and Conditions applied to my contract with them even although I had not signed up to them. I'm not at all comfortable to accept that risk to my money, and don't trust a company that thinks it is okay to unilaterally change a contract without even informing me. With a heavy heart I have elected to cancel my trip and since it is over 180 days until departure should get the majority of my money back.

And to anyone who reads their "Book w/ confidence" above....please NOTE: Quark has (and may again) revise their promise to you without any warning. The "revised" promise is then what applies to you! Like it or not!!! So it's not REALLY a promise at all.......it's .just their "Thought for the day". The only confidence I have in Quark is this... " I am CONFIDENT I can not trust them." Ive lost almost 4K.......and apparently Im NOT alone!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter