Anxious solo traveler

Northrup113

Mouseketeer
Hi. First time posting. I will be in Walt Disney World Sept 21-27 2017, staying at the Port Orleans French Quarter. First time going solo. Feeling a bit anxious about not having anyone to share it with. Any advice? Are there any groups that meet there? Have even considered cancelling. :-( .

Literally the easiest and least threatening solo trip I've taken.

I entertain myself on my cell phone and talk to my neighbors in ride lines. That's really the only time it kind of sucks to not have someone along.

Don't cancel, and I wouldn't worry about meeting up with a group. Just make a list of stuff you want to do and see and go do it. And change it when you want to! That's the beauty of going solo!

Thank you for the advice. A little background...Been divorced about 7 years (no kids) Always went with the ex. Wondering how it will be doing all the things we did together now that I will be alone. Has anyone else been in the same position? How did it work out for you? Did you realize quickly that all the worrying was for nothing?

Hi. First time posting. I will be in Walt Disney World Sept 21-27 2017, staying at the Port Orleans French Quarter. First time going solo. Feeling a bit anxious about not having anyone to share it with. Any advice? Are there any groups that meet there? Have even considered cancelling. :-( .

Question #1: Do you enjoy doing things alone (dining, shopping, going to a movie) in your regular life? If so, I think you'll be fine.

I was anxious before my first solo trip - I had never taken a vacation alone before. I had such an awesome time, I am now planning my 7th Annual Solo Trip. I LOVE POFQ - like a little neighborhood, everything convenient no matter where your room is.

Don't cancel - give it a chance! Do you have someone to keep in touch with? I text with my sister, send her pics, we talk on the phone some nights, which is nice.

I am doing solo almost the same time Sept 21-29. I have taken trips to the beach solo. I have done Universal Studios and Sea World solo. My 1st solo Disney trip was last September. It's very easy to do WDW solo.

You plan out your ADRs and your fast passes so you have a general plan of where you are going when. However you still have the freedom as a solo traveler to do what you want so if you want to ride Everest single rider line 5 times in a row you can.

I would recommend bringing a battery charger for your phone. I use the MDE app in the parks to keep track of FPs and ADRs. Plus I like the wait times. Waiting in line, you can talk to the people around you if feel like it. Most of the people in line probably have their faces in their phones.

Sept will be Food and Wine Time at Epcot, it's a great way to spend a day grazing around the world. Being at the French Quarter, you can take the boat to Disney Springs, there are several good restaurants there and lots of stores to browse.

I like to take photos of the stuff that I'm doing and send it to my friends back home. This trip I have to go to the Anna & Elsa meet n greet and get Elsa to make a shout to our my friend's 3 year old son who thinks she is super cool because she has powers. I met them last year, I felt super awkward because I was an adult with no kids. It's less awkward for character meetings when they aren't face characters so you don't have to have a conversation with them.

Last edited:
I am doing solo almost the same time Sept 21-29. I have taken trips to the beach solo. I have done Universal Studios and Sea World solo. My 1st solo Disney trip was last September. It's very easy to do WDW solo.

You plan out your ADRs and your fast passes so you have a general plan of where you are going when. However you still have the freedom as a solo traveler to do what you want so if you want to ride Everest single rider line 5 times in a row you can.

I would recommend bringing a battery charger for your phone. I use the MDE app in the parks to keep track of FPs and ADRs. Plus I like the wait times. Waiting in line, you can talk to the people around you if feel like it. Most of the people in line probably have their faces in their phones.

Sept will be Food and Wine Time at Epcot, it's a great way to spend a day grazing around the world. Being at the French Quarter, you can take the boat to Disney Springs, there are several good restaurants there and lots of stores to browse.

I like to take photos of the stuff that I'm doing and send it to my friends back home. This trip I have to go to the Anna & Elsa meet n greet and get Elsa to make a shout to our my friend's 3 year old son who thinks she is super cool because she has powers. I met them last year, I felt super awkward because I was an adult with no kids. It's less awkward for character meetings when they aren't face characters so you don't have to have a conversation with them.
Wow, We are going to be there at the same time! What resort are you staying at? I have a feeling I will be able to see things with a new perspective.

Thank you for the advice. A little background...Been divorced about 7 years (no kids) Always went with the ex. Wondering how it will be doing all the things we did together now that I will be alone. Has anyone else been in the same position? How did it work out for you? Did you realize quickly that all the worrying was for nothing?

I worried about it the first time I went to DL solo. I'd always been with partner or family or friends. But halfway through the first day I realized it was a nonissue. When you're solo, you don't have to ride anything you don't want to, you don't have to negotiate restaurants, you don't have to worry about hurting the other persons feelings if you need a nap, you can sleep in or rope drop, whichever you like. You can ride your favorite ride as many times as you like without judgement. Total freedom.

I probably do more shopping solo, though. I don't enjoy the shows or parades as much by myself, so that's one difference. You can't stake out a parade spot as easy solo because you've no one to swap with if you need food or water or bathroom break.

Don't cancel. The great thing about going solo is that you can tailor it specifically to your interests. I travel most places solo, but my September Disney trip will be half duo and half solo. A friend is meeting me for a couple of days and then the other two days I am on my own. I will be there September 22-27. I would definitely recommend grabbing a MNSSHP ticket for one of the nights of your visit, if you enjoy Halloween. Aside from booking your favorite places with ADRs, just enjoy yourself, and I would set aside one day for Food and Wine. Everclear and Sugar Ray will be the concerts at Epcot during your visit. Not sure what is going to be playing at Epcot on 9/22 though.

Going solo is great!
You're alone when you want to be and if you want to share with others then strike up a conversation in line.
I went solo in 2015 and had a great time.
I'd consider doing it again if no one could go when I wanted to.

Lots of solos at Disney, so I certainly wouldn't worry about being the only one. Can't automatically say you'll like it though, but go for it and see. I'll be there for my 3rd time solo in September--16th to the 26th at the new villas at WL--Copper Creek. Will be spending most of my time at Pandora and the Food & Wine Festival. The good thing always about solo is you are in charge of everything--when you get up, when you eat, when you ride, when you shop, etc., etc., etc. Cast members have always been fine to me solo and especially at restaurants, service has been great. Hope you have a wonderful experience!

Lots of solos at Disney, so I certainly wouldn't worry about being the only one. Can't automatically say you'll like it though, but go for it and see. I'll be there for my 3rd time solo in September--16th to the 26th at the new villas at WL--Copper Creek. Will be spending most of my time at Pandora and the Food & Wine Festival. The good thing always about solo is you are in charge of everything--when you get up, when you eat, when you ride, when you shop, etc., etc., etc. Cast members have always been fine to me solo and especially at restaurants, service has been great. Hope you have a wonderful experience!
Thank you!! I have been to the Food and Wine Festival years ago, loved it! We will be there at the same time! Who knows, we may end up running into each other and not even knowing it! You know what they say "It's a Small World After All" :-) (it was right there, had to) !!

Don't cancel. The great thing about going solo is that you can tailor it specifically to your interests. I travel most places solo, but my September Disney trip will be half duo and half solo. A friend is meeting me for a couple of days and then the other two days I am on my own. I will be there September 22-27. I would definitely recommend grabbing a MNSSHP ticket for one of the nights of your visit, if you enjoy Halloween. Aside from booking your favorite places with ADRs, just enjoy yourself, and I would set aside one day for Food and Wine. Everclear and Sugar Ray will be the concerts at Epcot during your visit. Not sure what is going to be playing at Epcot on 9/22 though.
The MNSSHP is awesome!! That is a must do on my list! If I see you at the Food and Wine Festival, I will buy you a drink ! :-)

The other posters have given you great advice. I'd just like to make one suggestion to add to what has already been said. I'm planning for my first solo trip, but I'm not worried because I do solo adventures pretty regularly, going out to eat, walking tours, museums, things like that.

If your a little anxious about doing the solo thing, maybe think about finding a project for yourself to do while you're there, rather then just experiencing the vacation. I'm going to vlog my first solo trip. Haven't vlogged before, but I'm going give it a shot. You could collect material for a trip report / blog, or collect specific photos, or any number of other things that might link into another hobby.

I am doing my first solo trip in September also, I am just nervous about all the time alone. I have never been on a trip alone or really done anything alone..ever. I married my DH at 21 and had kids at 24. I am now 40 and realized I am just now finding out who I am. my kids are almost in university and it is time for me to be okay with just time with me.

I am a huge Disney fan and decided I would venture out of my comfort place and just do it. I have been to Disney enough that I know my way around and am comfortable there so why not make this the first thing I do for me. lol Don't cancel. Do it and if you love it you love it and if you hate it, you will never do it again. No biggie. But I have a feeling you will love it. How can you not love doing what you want and only what you want in Disney.

I am doing my first solo trip in September also, I am just nervous about all the time alone. I have never been on a trip alone or really done anything alone..ever. I married my DH at 21 and had kids at 24. I am now 40 and realized I am just now finding out who I am. my kids are almost in university and it is time for me to be okay with just time with me.

I am a huge Disney fan and decided I would venture out of my comfort place and just do it. I have been to Disney enough that I know my way around and am comfortable there so why not make this the first thing I do for me. lol Don't cancel. Do it and if you love it you love it and if you hate it, you will never do it again. No biggie. But I have a feeling you will love it. How can you not love doing what you want and only what you want in Disney.
Hi. small world, you are in Niagara Falls Ontario, I am in Buffalo NY!! When in Sept. are you going to be there? I will be at the Port Orleans French Quarter.

Just chiming in to say solo travel is wonderful. You do what you want, when you want. If you start feeling overwhelmed in one of the parks, take Disney transportation to one of the Deluxe hotels and sit in the bar lounge area. The seating is comfortable and particularly during the afternoons they tend to be quiet places. You don't have to order anything from the bar although I personally love a fancy cocktail in the middle of the afternoon to really feel like I'm on vacation.

Bars/lounges are also good for dining if you don't want quick service but didn't make an ADR. I've eaten at the bar at Yak & Yeti and in The Tune In (connected to Primetime) and both were enjoyable. As a single it is often easier to snag a seat as invariably there will be an odd number of people with just one empty barstool.

Just chiming in to say solo travel is wonderful. You do what you want, when you want. If you start feeling overwhelmed in one of the parks, take Disney transportation to one of the Deluxe hotels and sit in the bar lounge area. The seating is comfortable and particularly during the afternoons they tend to be quiet places. You don't have to order anything from the bar although I personally love a fancy cocktail in the middle of the afternoon to really feel like I'm on vacation.

Bars/lounges are also good for dining if you don't want quick service but didn't make an ADR. I've eaten at the bar at Yak & Yeti and in The Tune In (connected to Primetime) and both were enjoyable. As a single it is often easier to snag a seat as invariably there will be an odd number of people with just one empty barstool.

I am probably going to eat at the bar connected to the Hollywood Brown Derby on my Hollywood Studios day, but there is always the option of slipping out to the Boardwalk from Hollywood Studios as well.

Somebody suggested a v log or project. I'm a huge fan of pin trading. It gets you to go places you might not and people love talking about their pins plus you can find pin boards at all sorts of places

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter