Any ADL products that you thought were very functional better than other products? Suggestions?

RaySharpton

Retired and going to Disney.
Any ADL products that you thought were very functional better than other products? Suggestions?

I have gotten to the point where I need certain products to help me with certain Activities of Daily Living.

Here is a little of my history and the ADL products I needed to buy.

I had already been using a walking cane, walker, forearm crutches. It depended on how I felt each day to get around in my small apartment and what worked best for me at the time. And I use my wheelchair outside my apartment.

I haven't been able to use my walker or forearm crutches since I fell down after a shower when I was out of town in September 2019.

I did make a mistake in treating myself thinking it was a sprain. After a month the physician said I had broken my radius bone and jammed/shifted my radius and ulna bone along with ligaments to the left. He couldn't operate until the bone healed, He said it might take six months to over a year.

Early on, I discovered I couldn't put my weight on my left hand and forearm.

This was a bummer since I was left-handed for everything.

I thought I could easily adapt to using my right hand...not.

I was used to using my right hand to support me getting up and out of my recliner with my good left leg, but I am still having a hard time. I didn't realize standing up using my left hand and left leg until I could steady my unstable right leg. I think I was sliding or tilting since I was using opposite limbs to stand. I may be mistaken, but using my left limbs to stand up until I was able to straighten my right leg never made me feel like I was going to fall to my left or right. Now I feel like I going to fall every time getting out of my recliner. Another bummer.

I can't use my walker for balance using just my right hand. And using my cane in my right hand still makes feel like I'm going to fall when walking. It's been very disconcerting to me that something so simple as losing the use of my hand could be so difficult to adapt to my ADL.

Early on I had to buy three products for my ADL.

One product was a larger and more secure bathtub mat from https://buysteadymat.com/ . It fit, felt good, felt safe, and never slides around.

The less I felt like I was able to get up and about the less, I was able to stand and shower without feeling like I was going fall. So I bought a large bathtub shower chair at https://www.walmart.com/ip/Carex-Un...t-Level-Adjustable-Height-Legs-White/10105192 It works a lot better than I thought and held my weight.

I used to use my left hand holding the shower curtain rod to feel stable as I step into and out of the bathtub. I can use my right hand now, but I am much more self-conscious of how I stand sideways and watch each foot lift up and on the floor.

My right hand has never reacted as fast as my left hand when I felt like my dysfunctional right leg's knee felt like it was going to give out. I always walk with my right knee locked since my right knee fails when it bends if I need to put weight on it. Such is life. I'm just more self-conscious whenever I have to walk than I used to be.

I also had to buy Lock Laces - Elastic No Tie Shoelaces, One Size Fits All since it was getting more difficult to tie my shoe's shoelaces. I haven't bought velcro shoes yet.

The last item I am too embarrassed to post, but I had to buy it.

I have gotten to the point where I need certain products to help me with certain Activities of Daily Living.

Here is a little of my history and the ADL products I needed to buy.

I had already been using a walking cane, walker, forearm crutches. It depended on how I felt each day to get around in my small apartment and what worked best for me at the time. And I use my wheelchair outside my apartment.

I haven't been able to use my walker or forearm crutches since I fell down after a shower when I was out of town in September 2019.

I did make a mistake in treating myself thinking it was a sprain. After a month the physician said I had broken my radius bone and jammed/shifted my radius and ulna bone along with ligaments to the left. He couldn't operate until the bone healed, He said it might take six months to over a year.

Early on, I discovered I couldn't put my weight on my left hand and forearm.

This was a bummer since I was left-handed for everything.

I thought I could easily adapt to using my right hand...not.

I was used to using my right hand to support me getting up and out of my recliner with my good left leg, but I am still having a hard time. I didn't realize standing up using my left hand and left leg until I could steady my unstable right leg. I think I was sliding or tilting since I was using opposite limbs to stand. I may be mistaken, but using my left limbs to stand up until I was able to straighten my right leg never made me feel like I was going to fall to my left or right. Now I feel like I going to fall every time getting out of my recliner. Another bummer.

I can't use my walker for balance using just my right hand. And using my cane in my right hand still makes feel like I'm going to fall when walking. It's been very disconcerting to me that something so simple as losing the use of my hand could be so difficult to adapt to my ADL.

Early on I had to buy three products for my ADL.

One product was a larger and more secure bathtub mat from https://buysteadymat.com/ . It fit, felt good, felt safe, and never slides around.

View attachment 490304

The less I felt like I was able to get up and about the less, I was able to stand and shower without feeling like I was going fall. So I bought a large bathtub shower chair at https://www.walmart.com/ip/Carex-Un...t-Level-Adjustable-Height-Legs-White/10105192 It works a lot better than I thought and held my weight.

I used to use my left hand holding the shower curtain rod to feel stable as I step into and out of the bathtub. I can use my right hand now, but I am much more self-conscious of how I stand sideways and watch each foot lift up and on the floor.

My right hand has never reacted as fast as my left hand when I felt like my dysfunctional right leg's knee felt like it was going to give out. I always walk with my right knee locked since my right knee fails when it bends if I need to put weight on it. Such is life. I'm just more self-conscious whenever I have to walk than I used to be.

View attachment 490306View attachment 490307

View attachment 490308

I also had to buy Lock Laces - Elastic No Tie Shoelaces, One Size Fits All since it was getting more difficult to tie my shoe's shoelaces. I haven't bought velcro shoes yet.

View attachment 490305

The last item I am too embarrassed to post, but I had to buy it.

It's been almost 8-months since my fall and my hand/wrist/forearm hasn't gotten much better.

I am still in Florida until May 30, 2020, because of Georgia governor lift closings of dine-in restaurants and gyms and other businesses today.

I am at high risk of traveling by plane and I just didn't want to take a chance.

Anyway, I have been having a difficult time standing and walking and dressing and cooking.

I don't plan on buying any Activities of Daily Living now while I am out of town, but I'll wait until I get back home.

As far as my left hand, I have found out some things that are bothering me.

First, I have discovered that I have lost fine motor control of my left hand/fingers. I am left-handed so I naturally and unconsciously gravitate to use my left unless it is obviously hurting at the time.

I am so sick and tired of dropping things like my toothbrush or remote control or drinking glass or pan and on and on.

I don't remember to use my right hand until I see the item hit the floor.

I also realized I can't open some things like ziplock bags, toothpaste cap, jars, or anything with two hands. I can switch hands and use my right hand and left arm against my chest to open some things.

I got a clearer picture of this when I tried lifting a 1-pound plastic jar of cashews. I was sitting down and lifting it from the table on my left. I gripped the top of the wide-mouthed lid with all my fingers and my hand started shaking until I lost my grip a few inches from the tabletop. I kept trying and I realized my five fingers were unable to lift one pound. That finally hit me why I kept dropping things.

So I was on the Fold and Go Electric Wheelchair website looking at some of the ADL products that they were selling that I am thinking about purchasing to help me.

What are your thoughts or experiences or suggestions for a similar product? Did you find something better?

FOLD & GO Soft Grip Dressing Stick
$39.95 $29.95

Since we are owned & operated by people in wheelchairs, we get asked by our customers what other gadgets do we have to help all of us be more independent?
Our CEO Michele, uses numerous gadgets in her personal life to help her accomplish simple everyday tasks. We are happy to provide those lifestyle products here so you can get everything you need to FOLD & GO!
The FOLD & GO Soft Foam Grip Dressing Stick is the perfect travel size at 17 inches long. Michele took the regular old dressing stick and IMPROVED IT, by adding soft foam grip pads and shortened the length for travel. This padded dressing stick helps those of us with arthritis, limited range of motion, joint replacements or finger dexterity pain. This padded dress stick easily fits inside your carry-on suitcase. This features makes it one of our favorite FOLD & GO Travel items. Everyone here has it in our closets at home as well as in our suitcases when we travel with our chairs.
  • Overall Length: 17″
  • Super Soft Foam Grip: 14″
  • Arthritis Friendly
  • Assists with Socks
  • Putting on or off a shirt or jacket
  • The hook helps to grab items out of reach
  • Slip bra straps or tanks over your shoulder
  • Fits on any checked or carry-on suitcas

FOLD & GO Button & Zipper Puller (Lifestyle)
$14.95 $9.95

Since we are owned & operated by people in wheelchairs, we get asked by our customers what other gadgets do we have to help all of us be more independent?
Our CEO Michele, uses numerous gadgets in her personal life to help her accomplish simple everyday tasks. We are happy to provide those lifestyle products here so you can get everything you need to FOLD & GO!
The FOLD & GO Button & Zipper Puller is a one-of-a-kind opener. Those of us with dexterity issues tend to only wear clothes that slip-on or pull-over. In the past we can shied away from clothes with buttons or zippers. Now you can wear WHATEVER you wish, because we have the puller to assist you while getting dressed.
  • Dimensions: 3.7 x 1.2 x 1 inches
  • Weight: 0.2 ounces

FOLD & GO Beverage Opener
$19.95 $12.95

The FOLD & GO Beverage Opener is a one-of-a-kind opener. Over the years we have tried all sorts of openers, from grip pads to silicone claps, and even a pair of vice grips. This beverage opener requires little torque to open twist caps, bottle caps, or ring tabs on pop cans. With non-slip grip teeth and a soft grip handle for comfort, this product is great for people with arthritis or any other hand grip issues. It is also dishwasher safe.

I don't thing this device would be much use since you would have to use two hands.

Last edited:
I buy the Lock Laces for my daughter's sports shoes and winter boots.

Another product we really like are nail clippers with a scissors handle.

And I thought of a couple of others we used more often when DD was younger, but there are both child and adult options available:

MyselfBelts. They have really cute designs for the kids belts, fewer choices for adult/teen.

EZSox . My parents both like(d) them as well. We called them "pull-up socks" :blush:

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good knee brace that doesn't require to be put on like a tight sock over the foot to get to the knee?

I'm having difficulty doing that.

I need a good, heavy-duty knee brace to wrap around my knee instead of sliding on.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good knee brace that doesn't require to be put on like a tight sock over the foot to get to the knee?
My husband uses one msde by Mueller. I don’t know if this is a model number but it’s on the tag: B56517. It has metal supports on the side of the knee and wraps around the back to secure with velcro. I don’t recall where he bought it as he’s had it for several years now.

Ray, my biggest concern about the F&G dressing stick is the potential weight/balance issues when you are trying to use it. I don't know if there is a way to simulate that prior to purchase, to find out if you could really use it? I did find this product on Amazon that has a video with it to show how to use a dressing stick; maybe it could work if you aren't using heavy or bulky fabrics?

This is the brace that my hubby wears, from Amazon: TechWare Pro Knee Brace It's fairly lightweight, opens fully flat (so you could, for example, put it on while sitting with your leg stretched out on the bed) and can be washed in the washing machine (I put it in a mesh lingerie/delicates bag to help protect it in the washer) and hung up to dry. He finds that it gives him enough stability for now, but his issue is that his ACL is totally gone, and his knee is unstable as a result. (He was supposed to get his knee surgery done last month, but we all know *that* didn't happen!)

Have you considered a product like this? I know that you have limited use of your left hand but perhaps if you put your right hand in the center of the handle, it would "center" your weight, and help you feel more stable?

And while I know that your left hand can't really grip, would something like this help you feel stronger/more secure while in your apartment? If you could just hold the handle on the left with your hand (lightly), would it give you a feeling of more balance, and a bit more support? I know you have struggled with your regular walker and arm crutches, but this is (kind of) a different critter...

For what it's worth, when my Mom couldn't walk anymore, she would sit in her transfer chair with the foot rests removed, and "pedal" herself around; it helped her circulation, and gave her some limited mobility. Obviously, she couldn't go far before her legs would tire, but she didn't need to, either. We made sure she had a great gel cushion seat to make sure she was as comfortable as possible.

It's hard to be independent when you are in a recovery/rehab phase, and I hope you find some creative ways to feel safe, and remain active. Stay safe & healthy my friend!

My husband uses one made by Mueller. I don’t know if this is a model number but it’s on the tag: B56517. It has metal supports on the side of the knee and wraps around the back to secure with velcro. I don’t recall where he bought it as he’s had it for several years now.

Hi, lanejudy. The wrist brace I bought was made by Mueller and I found it at a Walmart. I think I'll check at Walmart on senior Tuesday.

Thank you again for the great information.

Last edited:
Hi, mamabunny.

Thank you for all of the links. In all of the Googling searching, I have never seen these products. I guess I don't use the same words that you use when searching. And believe use a lot of different words when I try to perform a search.

Ray, my biggest concern about the F&G dressing stick is the potential weight/balance issues when you are trying to use it. I don't know if there is a way to simulate that prior to purchase, to find out if you could really use it? I did find this product on Amazon that has a video with it to show how to use a dressing stick; maybe it could work if you aren't using heavy or bulky fabrics?

Thank you. That is a good observation. Thank you for the video. I need to Google search for more videos like this.

https://www.amazon.com/Vive-Dressin...s=limited+mobility+aid&qid=1588305047&sr=8-13
This is the brace that my hubby wears, from Amazon: TechWare Pro Knee Brace It's fairly lightweight, opens fully flat (so you could, for example, put it on while sitting with your leg stretched out on the bed) and can be washed in the washing machine (I put it in a mesh lingerie/delicates bag to help protect it in the washer) and hung up to dry. He finds that it gives him enough stability for now, but his issue is that his ACL is totally gone, and his knee is unstable as a result. (He was supposed to get his knee surgery done last month, but we all know *that* didn't happen!)

Thank you for the link. I really like the way this one looks the way I could wrap it around my knee instead of sliding it over my foot and pulling it up my leg to my knee.

Have you considered a product like this? I know that you have limited use of your left hand but perhaps if you put your right hand in the center of the handle, it would "center" your weight, and help you feel more stable?

Another great product that I have never seen. Unlike my walker or cane this "Bandwagon Portable Chair Assist - Helps You Rise from Seated Position - Mobility Standing Aid" has support legs facing me. The walker just tilled back toward me when I tried to stand. And it looks like I might use my left forearm instead of my left hand on the lower bar for extra lifting power. I am also wondering if it might help me to get up if I fall on the ground again in the bathroom or kitchen,

And while I know that your left hand can't really grip, would something like this help you feel stronger/more secure while in your apartment? If you could just hold the handle on the left with your hand (lightly), would it give you a feeling of more balance, and a bit more support? I know you have struggled with your regular walker and arm crutches, but this is (kind of) a different critter...

I have seen a much more expensive forearm walker online that looked prettier, but this my work. I could strongly grip with my right hand and possibly lightly grip with my left hand. But the main thing is putting all the weight on my forearm.

https://www.amazon.com/UPWalker-Original-Upright-Rolling-Mobility/dp/B07SSDHPTL
UPWalker Lite Original Upright Walker (Stand Up Rolling Mobility Walking Aid with Seat)
by LifeWalker

Price:$545.00

For what it's worth, when my Mom couldn't walk anymore, she would sit in her transfer chair with the foot rests removed, and "pedal" herself around; it helped her circulation, and gave her some limited mobility. Obviously, she couldn't go far before her legs would tire, but she didn't need to, either. We made sure she had a great gel cushion seat to make sure she was as comfortable as possible.

It's hard to be independent when you are in a recovery/rehab phase, and I hope you find some creative ways to feel safe, and remain active. Stay safe & healthy my friend!

I've see people do that. My apartment is too small to use my wheelchair in the bathroom and bedroom. Plus my bedrrom and living room has thick pile carpeting.

Thank you again for all of the great information.

Attachments

• 1588361028618.png
    1588361028618.png
    292.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I have nerve issues that act up and sometimes limit my ability to grip things with my hands. One thing that I found that helped me were compression knitting gloves (I don't knit🙃). I just happened upon them at Walmart and gave them a try. Something about the compression gave me a bit better control. I'm left-handed as well, and there were times that I was struggling to hold a pen or lift a coffee cup. For about $10, they were definitely worth trying out. Most of them are slim enough that you could wear them under a wrist brace easily. Just thought I'd mention it, as I know how frustrating it is to lose control of your hands. It happens for me in both hands, but having my left hand out of commission is way more debilitating.

I have nerve issues that act up and sometimes limit my ability to grip things with my hands. One thing that I found that helped me were compression knitting gloves (I don't knit🙃). I just happened upon them at Walmart and gave them a try. Something about the compression gave me a bit better control. I'm left-handed as well, and there were times that I was struggling to hold a pen or lift a coffee cup. For about $10, they were definitely worth trying out. Most of them are slim enough that you could wear them under a wrist brace easily. Just thought I'd mention it, as I know how frustrating it is to lose control of your hands. It happens for me in both hands, but having my left hand out of commission is way more debilitating.

Hi, tsumgirl. Thank you. I have been wondering about that type of glove, too, that I saw on TV.

I may see if they have those when I go to Walmart's Senior Tuesday to get groceries.

Thank you for sharing.

Hi, tsumgirl. Thank you. I have been wondering about that type of glove, too, that I saw on TV.

I may see if they have those when I go to Walmart's Senior Tuesday to get groceries.

Thank you for sharing.
No problem...I really hope they work out for you. They really make a difference for me on my difficult days!

Hi, mamabunny.

Thank you for all of the links. In all of the Googling searching, I have never seen these products. I guess I don't use the same words that you use when searching. And believe use a lot of different words when I try to perform a search.

It's my pleasure - I truly hope I was in any way helpful for you; you do *so* much for all of us here!

And, my "secret" is twofold:

First, whenever I come across something interesting - that I think that I might need in the future, or that someone I know might find useful, I bookmark it. I have a folder of bookmarks that I try to keep organized of mobility/daily life "aids" and if you think *that's* weird... when I was looking around for my next "ride" (before I had settled on Figgy) I had a whole bookmark folder full of different brands/models of power chairs... That was how I narrowed down my search to Fold and Go!

But the second part is my love/hate relationship with Amazon. LOL, I went there and searched for this phrase "limited mobility aid" which I hoped would bring up a nice assortment of different items to help with ADLs, and it did! 🙂

Another great product that I have never seen. Unlike my walker or cane this "Bandwagon Portable Chair Assist - Helps You Rise from Seated Position - Mobility Standing Aid" has support legs facing me. The walker just tilled back toward me when I tried to stand. And it looks like I might use my left forearm instead of my left hand on the lower bar for extra lifting power. I am also wondering if it might help me to get up if I fall on the ground again in the bathroom or kitchen,

View attachment 492079

I thought of you when I saw this, because it seems to be sturdy and stable, and not prone to tipping. It's actually a clever design, and while I'm not sure about if it could be helpful after a fall, I hope it could be helpful for all the other times when you aren't on the floor!

In addition, THIS might be a good device for helping up from the floor; it's one handed, and quite portable, which is nice. (Also, kinda worried about how much time you might be spending falling down - Let's try to keep that from happening!)

EZ-Riser Mobility Tool (...and yeah, it's on Amazon LOL)

I have seen a much more expensive forearm walker online that looked prettier, but this my work. I could strongly grip with my right hand and possibly lightly grip with my left hand. But the main thing is putting all the weight on my forearm.

View attachment 492086

I wasn't sure about how much you could actually put pressure on your forearm; obviously that is one of those very personal decisions about what you can tolerate, and what will be too much. Certainly don't want anything that will cause you any more pain or discomfort - that's going in the wrong direction!

Interestingly, I found this video on YouTube while searching for something else today:

How to get up from the floor...

and I finally had time to watch it this evening. While I try very hard to avoid falls, having had a very bad one two years ago, I found her video to have some helpful ideas.

Thank you again for all of the great information.

Thank you again for everything you do for all of us here! We are so much better for having you here! 🙂

For socks, this is AMAZING! I had this after my hip surgery, and oh my goodness. SO easy. I guess I can't comment on how well it would work one-handed, but I would think it could still work.

https://www.arthritissupplies.com/extra-wide-sock-aid-foam-handles.html I'm not sure I actually had the "extra wide" but this is the closest I could find.

My dad used something like this to get up from the couch after he lost a lot of his mobility. Unfortuantly, it didn't help him too much, because by the time he started losing his mobility, he had already lost enough of his mental abilities that it was really, really difficult, if not impossible, for him to learn to use anything new and use it consistently. *sigh*

Check out the ask Jan website. It's actually for job accommodations, but you an search for adaptive equipment by limitation or by function/category.

This link is specifically for dressing aids https://askjan.org/solutions/Grooming-and-Dressing-Aids.cfm?csSearch=2572589_1

But here is the main page where you can do a search.
https://askjan.org/soar.cfm

Hi, Allison Joy. Thank you. I don't know why I have never used the search word, arthritis.

For socks, this is AMAZING! I had this after my hip surgery, and oh my goodness. SO easy. I guess I can't comment on how well it would work one-handed, but I would think it could still work.

https://www.arthritissupplies.com/extra-wide-sock-aid-foam-handles.html I'm not sure I actually had the "extra wide" but this is the closest I could find.

My dad used something like this to get up from the couch after he lost a lot of his mobility. Unfortunately, it didn't help him too much, because by the time he started losing his mobility, he had already lost enough of his mental abilities that it was really, really difficult, if not impossible, for him to learn to use anything new and use it consistently. *sigh*

Check out the ask Jan website. It's actually for job accommodations, but you an search for adaptive equipment by limitation or by function/category.

This link is specifically for dressing aids https://askjan.org/solutions/Grooming-and-Dressing-Aids.cfm?csSearch=2572589_1

But here is the main page where you can do a search.
https://askjan.org/soar.cfm

Just realized that the link to one of the things I mentioned didn't come through. My dad used a "couch cane" to help him get up from the couch. I'm not going to worry about the link because there are multiple versions, and I don't want to favor one over another just because it shows up higher in Google, but if you google "couch cane" you'll see multiple options. It's baiscally a handle that slides under your couch to help you get up.

Hi, Allison Joy. I saw those on the website. Thank you.

Just realized that the link to one of the things I mentioned didn't come through. My dad used a "couch cane" to help him get up from the couch. I'm not going to worry about the link because there are multiple versions, and I don't want to favor one over another just because it shows up higher in Google, but if you google "couch cane" you'll see multiple options. It's baiscally a handle that slides under your couch to help you get up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!