Any "Bad" Lyft Experiences?

We don't have Lyft in the UK so the only time I get to use it is when I'm in the US and the vast majority of those rides are in Orlando. I have never had a bad driver - the only trouble I've ever had in fact was one time when trying to get a Lyft from MCO at a very late hour (11:30pm).

There were SO many people waiting at the kerbside outside the terminal and I guess so few drivers at that time of night that the only way to get any driver to respond was to choose Priority Pickup - if you went for Standard basically no drivers were selecting your job, or possibly were immediately cancelling if they did (a few times I got a "a car is xx minutes away" which was always higher than 15, never decreased from there, then eventually disappeared and went back to "searching for a car").

After about 20-25 minutes of this, I changed to Priority, we got a confirmation of a driver within a few minutes and they were only 5 mins away (and they were really nice as well). Next time if it looks as busy as it did that night, I'll go straight to Priority and not mess around as it wasn't that much more expensive in the end.

I've felt pretty safe as a solo traveler using Lyft. Last trip for Springtime Surprise was the first time in a while I had issues at MCO. Not sure if the driver was lost, but he wasn't on the arrivals level and despite me calling/messaging him to see where he was, I was marked as a no-show. It was resolved pretty quickly with a new ride, but it was annoying since I just wanted to get to the hotel and eat.

Otherwise, super easy to use, lots of tools to make sure you're safe and others know where you are (if you want), and no issues zipping around property and WDW > UOR. I did use Minnie Vans going to WWOS for the expo super early & to the Four Seasons for the afternoon. They're more expensive, but it was worth it to make sure I was going to the right places on time. I typically schedule my pickups when I head to EWR super early, but call a Lyft whenever I head back to MCO no problem.

Will also agree on cabs. I try to take them as much as possible, but one night a yellow cab driver charged me $30 more than the agreed upon (and printed!) rate at the airport and there wasn't much I could do except pay up.

I've used rideshares for traveling between WDW and MCO about 7-8 times as a single woman. I guess I've had 2 "negative" experiences-1.Near the end of the pandemic, the company's policy was to wear a mask. Yet I had one driver who didn't. 2. On one trip the driver admitted it was his first day and we were headed to AKL. However, he took a wrong turn first, and I got a scenic tour of the AK parking lot. Yup, those are the ones that are as negative as I can remember. Generally I've had courteous, positive experiences.

Totally agree with the streets seemingly confusing some of the Chicago Uber drives. I rarely had weird Uber experiences, until Chicago LOL. They weren't absolutely terrible, just weird. But, I also met a driver there that must have have been the BEST driver I have had ever. Funny how its goes...
The big lesson the bell captain taught me was for big cities like Chicago most the drivers are coming from outside the downtown area, where as the cab drivers are local and know the streets. I found after going back and forth for a week of meetings he was right. Cabs in those cases were cheaper and they knew how to get around traffic and the Lyft drivers were just following the directions on their phone.

Yes but not horror story level. Horror stories happen in Ubers, Lyfts and Cabs. I like rideshares over cabs because the driver information makes me feel a bit more secure, I can share my ride with a fam member for safety tracking, my ride is being tracked by the platform if they pull any nonsense meter wise and I know the price before I get to my destination.

I’ve had bad trips in Orlando yes, had one driver go dangerously slow to up his rate a long time ago, have had a couple crazy drivers. Worst was a driver that missed the exit to my destination and I told him and he ignored me and I yelled to take the next exit and was starting to secretly dial 911 as finally he relented. Reported that jerk to the ride platform who said they won’t match me with him again and seeing the route he took gave me a discount or something- neither of which would happen with a cab.

I haven’t had a bad trip since I switched to Uber Comfort. Lyft comfort is pretty good to but driver requirements aren’t as strict as Uber comfort. Both assure me a somewhat experienced driver and give better odds of a decent vehicle and decent experience.

I very rarely use rideshare, and have only had one somewhat issue. Landed in TPA last year and booked a ride from the airport to our hotel in St. Pete Beach. Driver pulls up and his cargo area is packed with stuff so we only have space for one carryon in the back. Had a checked bag and two carryons in the back seat with the three of us for the 30 minute drive to the hotel.

Cabs, I wanted to support them when the rideshares taking over, hit them hard. That was until a ride home from the Airport where the driver seemed angry, swearing under his breath and driving eratically. That was the last time I have taken that cab service and have used Uber / Lyft ever since.
I have used cabs a few times in Florida. The drivers are always from the same place. They are typically aggressive and rude. I guess it is their culture. Still ridiculous, though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter