Any chance there will be more Studio rooms with TWO beds?

There are sofa murphy beds now so you can have both. Back several months ago when an SSR test room photo leaked that is what they were using.

That would be nice - although my guess is that a number of people who really want two real beds will find the murphy substandard somehow.

That would be nice - although my guess is that a number of people who really want two real beds will find the murphy substandard somehow.

That is a little unfair. It is not that people are being picky but for people like me (and I pretty sure I'm not alone in this) who aren't married and travel with people who are not their partner, it's not easy to accommodate when one is a sofa bed. If I want to travel with my sister and my daughter, someone is getting the sofa bed. And most sofa beds are fine for a few days but if you are staying 7 or 10 days that is a lot. I am with the OP, I think it would be nice if there were more rooms that accommodate different family types. I can definitely see the appeal of the queen size bed and couch for a couple or a couple with one child. But I definitely see the appeal of 2 queen beds for people who travel together that are not a couple. I'm new to DVC and would definitely like to try out other resorts besides OKW! LOL

The Murphy beds recently installed at Pop have mattresses that are identical to the mattresses on the “real” beds. Both queens, exact same brand/model #, etc. and reportedly very comfortable. If they install the sofa/Murphy bed at SSR it will most likely have the same mattress as the other bed, so that when it is down the room will in fact have two real beds.

How comfortable are the pull downs that were put in the studios for a “5” person?

How comfortable are the pull downs that were put in the studios for a “5” person?

I tested it out briefly at BCV - just pulled it down, laid down. It works for me as I'm 5'1" tall, but the max it would work for - to be comfy - would probably be someone that's 5'5".

I stayed at Poly twice this year and in both cases my friend preferred the pull down to the sofa bed (2 different people). I slept on the daybed in a regular Poly room and also Yacht Club with no problem.

The Murphy beds recently installed at Pop have mattresses that are identical to the mattresses on the “real” beds. Both queens, exact same brand/model #, etc. and reportedly very comfortable. If they install the sofa/Murphy bed at SSR it will most likely have the same mattress as the other bed, so that when it is down the room will in fact have two real beds.

And yet, someone will complain that they have to pull them down. Or the they don't seem as comfortable and that Disney is lying. Or that when they said they wanted two real beds, they wanted two REAL beds. If you think Murphy beds in every room with real mattresses are going to be the perfect compromise and make everyone happy, you haven't spent much time on the DisBoards.

(I find Disney's real mattresses to be less than awesome, so if I'm going to complain its going to be "give me better mattresses on all the beds so I can stop listening to my husband whine.")

And yet, someone will complain that they have to pull them down. Or the they don't seem as comfortable and that Disney is lying. Or that when they said they wanted two real beds, they wanted two REAL beds. If you think Murphy beds in every room with real mattresses are going to be the perfect compromise and make everyone happy, you haven't spent much time on the DisBoards.

(I find Disney's real mattresses to be less than awesome, so if I'm going to complain its going to be "give me better mattresses on all the beds so I can stop listening to my husband whine.")

Maybe so - but I watch the Pop thread and haven’t seen those complaints yet :-D ! (BTW people have posted photos of the mattress tags confirming that they’re identical, and also because more than one person has wanted to buy the identical mattress.) The primary complaint is the loss of the table when the bed is down, and I’m sure a sofa-Murphy would lead to similar complaints.

And believe me, I know well that nothing will make everyone happy.

Maybe so - but I watch the Pop thread and haven’t seen those complaints yet :-D ! (BTW people have posted photos of the mattress tags confirming that they’re identical, and also because more than one person has wanted to buy the identical mattress.) The primary complaint is the loss of the table when the bed is down, and I’m sure a sofa-Murphy would lead to similar complaints.

And believe me, I know well that nothing will make everyone happy.

And that is all I'm saying....nothing will make everyone happy.

Much better than the pull sofas. I used it at VGF last April - tried 1 night on the sleeper and then moved to the murphy bed. Our recent trip my nephews MIL selected the murphy bed and also felt it was very comfortable. It has an actual mattress vs something that folds up small enough to close a sofa.

RE: The SSR test room

Was the pull down murphy in a studio or a 1 bedroom?

I also really like the idea of 2 beds in the bedroom part of a 1 bedroom.

There are simply a lot of different configurations that work best for different groups. And over years of ownership, needs will change as well. I think the more options the better.

We will be staying 3 in a studio in a few weeks @ BWV. 1 will take the bed, 1 the pullout sofa and 1 the murphy bed. We can easily share the "real bed" but we're gonna try the everyone gets their own approach and see how it goes.

There are simply a lot of different configurations that work best for different groups. And over years of ownership, needs will change as well. I think the more options the better.

We will be staying 3 in a studio in a few weeks @ BWV. 1 will take the bed, 1 the pullout sofa and 1 the murphy bed. We can easily share the "real bed" but we're gonna try the everyone gets their own approach and see how it goes.
Master bedrooms don't have two beds. Leave the king sized bed alone. Putting in the options you like only makes booking so much harder. Owners who bought 20-25 years ago bought the one bedroom for one king sized bed in the master bedroom. Book a hotel room if you want two beds in the bedroom area.

Master bedrooms don't have two beds. Leave the king sized bed alone. Putting in the options you like only makes booking so much harder. Owners who bought 20-25 years ago bought the one bedroom for one king sized bed in the master bedroom. Book a hotel room if you want two beds in the bedroom area.

So, you feel that all future resorts that are built should only include the features you prefer?

Perhaps you bought when there was only 1 WDW DVC resort. Is that how you expected it to stay?

Are you pleased that you have more options now?

How do you know that no master bedrooms have 2 beds? There's actually a growing trend of his and hers masters in new homes (but that's another subject) so I'd be surprised if there weren't master bedrooms with 2 beds. You also mention that you and your husband sleep in different beds if you don't have a king available, so it seems 2 beds wouldn't be such a hardship that it prevents you from staying in a room structured that way.

Post #20 by DenLo mentioned changing some 1 bedrooms into 2 queen beds instead of a king (unless I misunderstand what was written) and I happened to think that it's a very family-friendly idea.

Since most of the hotel side rooms are 2 beds it seems logical that MANY families are comfortable with their children sleeping in a bed next to them. So, a 1 bedroom unit with 2 beds in a room is no different than a regular hotel room with the added benefit of a "family area" with the TV, Kitchen etc providing a space for the people NOT sleeping to move freely and make noise. Perhaps DVC would be more attractive to them that way. It would make it possible for a family of 4 to stay in a 1 bedroom with no one sleeping on the pullout if they find it uncomfortable (a common complaint here) without needing a 2 bedroom.

I have read MANY posts about people being "trapped" in their room and tiptoeing around sleeping toddlers. A great solution to this is putting the kids to bed in a bedroom while the adults enjoy the freedom of the common area. Currently, the only DVC way to do this is is a 2 bedroom or larger. We have studios that can sleep 5 but 1 bedrooms that not only don't provide complete accommodations for 5 but don't truly provide a common area for the family (because it doubles as sleeping quarters). I think it's why 1 bedrooms are easier to book. They don't fill the needs of a lot of people.

Don't worry, I'm not petitioning DVC to convert all rooms into this layout, so you can relax. I'm just further demonstrating the "different strokes for different folks" concept that is very clear in this and many threads and I support any ideas that provide opportunities for all people to enjoy DVC if they are able.

The test room was a studio.

So, you feel that all future resorts that are built should only include the features you prefer?

Perhaps you bought when there was only 1 WDW DVC resort. Is that how you expected it to stay?

Are you pleased that you have more options now?

How do you know that no master bedrooms have 2 beds? There's actually a growing trend of his and hers masters in new homes (but that's another subject) so I'd be surprised if there weren't master bedrooms with 2 beds. You also mention that you and your husband sleep in different beds if you don't have a king available, so it seems 2 beds wouldn't be such a hardship that it prevents you from staying in a room structured that way.

Post #20 by DenLo mentioned changing some 1 bedrooms into 2 queen beds instead of a king (unless I misunderstand what was written) and I happened to think that it's a very family-friendly idea.

Since most of the hotel side rooms are 2 beds it seems logical that MANY families are comfortable with their children sleeping in a bed next to them. So, a 1 bedroom unit with 2 beds in a room is no different than a regular hotel room with the added benefit of a "family area" with the TV, Kitchen etc providing a space for the people NOT sleeping to move freely and make noise. Perhaps DVC would be more attractive to them that way. It would make it possible for a family of 4 to stay in a 1 bedroom with no one sleeping on the pullout if they find it uncomfortable (a common complaint here) without needing a 2 bedroom.

I have read MANY posts about people being "trapped" in their room and tiptoeing around sleeping toddlers. A great solution to this is putting the kids to bed in a bedroom while the adults enjoy the freedom of the common area. Currently, the only DVC way to do this is is a 2 bedroom or larger. We have studios that can sleep 5 but 1 bedrooms that not only don't provide complete accommodations for 5 but don't truly provide a common area for the family (because it doubles as sleeping quarters). I think it's why 1 bedrooms are easier to book. They don't fill the needs of a lot of people.

Don't worry, I'm not petitioning DVC to convert all rooms into this layout, so you can relax. I'm just further demonstrating the "different strokes for different folks" concept that is very clear in this and many threads and I support any ideas that provide opportunities for all people to enjoy DVC if they are able.
You remind me of the people who move out to the smaller communities in the country because they hate living in the city because of the noise, traffic and crime. And the first thing they do is try to make the smaller community into the city because their kids are bored, they miss the action of the city, etc. Maybe the smaller community likes it the way it has been for years and year. One king bed in the master bedroom is industry standard for timeshares.

Come back and make suggestions on how to change DVC when you have owned more than a year or two, like twenty years or more.

There's no reason DVC couldn't add 2 beds to a studio in the name of flexibility. Not to all studios of course because then flexibility is lost the other way. When a guest books a WDW hotel room, they get 2 beds - that's what folks are used to. The reason we now have the extra sleeping surface in most studios is due to the howling that went on for years about allowing 5 in a studio. Many of the posters here on the DIS during those early years claimed that DVC could never allow this for legal reasons, fire codes, or that it wasn't in Disney's best interest... and now we have the added sleeping area in most studios. Point being, if customers want it, they will build it. I'm not sure of too many things but one thing I am sure of is that if Disney can smell a buck, they will pursue it relentlessly.

You remind me of the people who move out to the smaller communities in the country because they hate living in the city because of the noise, traffic and crime. And the first thing they do is try to make the smaller community into the city because their kids are bored, they miss the action of the city, etc. Maybe the smaller community likes it the way it has been for years and year. One king bed in the master bedroom is industry standard for timeshares.

Come back and make suggestions on how to change DVC when you have owned more than a year or two, like twenty years or more.

Nope. Not how it works. I'm not the only owner on here that's newer than you and I'm entitled to my opinion just like anyone else.

Actually, I'm pretty certain DVC cares about what the new and soon to be owners want more than they do the older ones that have made all their purchases already. Sucks but true. I'm fully aware that that will be me some day.

In the 1 year that I've owned, I've now had 10 families ask me extensively about DVC. 7 of the 10 families said they're not interested specifically because of the 1 bedroom layout. The prime customers for DVC are the ones that have been staying hotel side for years. They're the ones walking the parks getting lured into a presentation while in their happy place. Industry standard for timeshares or not, they should be trying to appeal to all of those potential customers. They've already got plenty of rooms the "standard" way.

Look at Poly.... built with no 1 or 2 bedrooms. Is that industry standard? Did they have any problem selling it?

So, I'm sure many of the older owners on this board will agree with you, but it is not what I'm seeing being desired in my circles. Prices are outrageously high. Buying enough points for a 2 bedroom is not as easy as it used to be. They've been selling smaller contracts and increasing studio capacity. Now they're slowly bumping up minimums so, I think it makes sense to increase and/or improve sleep surfaces in the 1 bedrooms.

They've already made changes to the studios to accommodate, next should be the 1 bedrooms. Maybe the way I'm suggesting, maybe a different way.

Doesn't matter if it's what you want or what I want. They will probably have 6-10 new resorts sold by 2042. There's no reason why they wouldn't try to accommodate as many tastes and desires as possible. There should be plenty of options to go around. I never suggested every room in every resort get converted to any one way. I think significant changes should be made primarily at new resorts for the obvious reasons. Certainly if I had bought at OKW for 2 beds in a studio, I would think it wrong to convert it to a sofa and bed in 100% of the rooms. Of course, they'll do whatever they want....

You can continue to like things to stay the same and resent change, but the changes will come.

When they were making Poly they wanted 1 and 2 br, but there were major issues that stopped them so now there are lots and lots of studios

I would love for there to be more categories for bed options in both a studio and 1 bedroom! A family with 2 children should be able to comfortably sleep in a studio AND a 1 bedroom. From ages 10-18 my tall-ish children have been uncomfortable in both levels of rooms because they always either needed to share a sofa bed (NO ONE should ever be asked to sleep on a sofa bed on vacation IMO) or someone had to sleep on an undersized pull down (Poly etc.) or chair bed (BLT). We've never tried OKW but it seems weird that this is the only option for 2 beds. I know they are trying to cram as many smaller rooms as possible into their resorts, but seriously? Both the studios and 1 bedrooms are perfectly designed for couples, but that demographic of DVC visitors cannot be in the majority can it? In just one or two more years my husband and I will probably be joining this demographic, so then a studio will for sure suit and we will probably have more points than we need. I would have really thought things through as a younger family buying into DVC if I knew what a a difficulty it would be for my younger children to have a good sleep without booking a 2 bedroom (and a total overkill of points).

DVC can do what ever they think will sell best in a NEW RESORT, but quit fooling around with the ones we have purchased, some of us have been members for more than 25 years now and like what the configurations were when we purchased.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter