Any rundisney people on the spectrum?

momandmousefan

Mouseketeer
I'm trying to ascertain if there are any of you on here with disabilities related to the spectrum who have run a Disney race or whether I should just address a few questions to rundisney themselves.
Basically, after having done the half last January, I realized through physically prepared, I definitely wasn't ready for all the chaos (despite watching videos of the run, scouring over the maps, etc..) and had an experience after the finish with either a volunteer or an actual that pretty much ruined the entire 13.1 miles for me (I was probably in shock and in need of medical attention after the race, but of course was in a minor or maybe major hidden meltdown and was trying to get to my husband who had finished ahead of me for help) I'm not new to running at all, nor new to races, but was woefully unprepared for the level of noise, crowds, chaos and unknowns that were at the end of a Disney race.

I really don't think I need someone to run with (I never have) but am trying to figure out what to do to prevent such a future occurrence when I need help and can't verbalize it, since I don't come across as with a disability in need to someone who isn't well trained. (And a lot of times that disability isn't really a problem anymore, but can take me by surprise at times)

I don't know whether I should have requested a visual map / social story of the exit chute (do they even have those?), if they could have had my husband waiting at a much more specific spot (he really tried...the problem was this lady was hollering at me where to go as I was walking along waaaaay past the fan station on my phone trying to have him help walk me out and I couldn't hear him and there was just soooo much noise), whether I need to carry some card with pre-written notes to give to people, whether the medical tents are equipped to help when the noise and crowds are making my head spin, etc.... Basically I hate asking for accommodations and wouldn't even know where to begin but I do think this could have been a more positive experience somehow.

editing to add, for anyone not on the spectrum or who doesn’t understand it. Consider my post race experience like this: the best way to explain is to imagine surprisingly finding yourself In a maze where suddenly you are surrounded by really bright spot lights (Heck, strobe lights even) and extremely loud sounds coming from every which direction and you have to perform tasks along the way of the maze and find your way out....when you were expecting to just open door and walk through to another room like you’ve done easily a million times before.

Last edited:
whether I need to carry some card with pre-written notes to give to people, whether the medical tents are equipped to help when the noise and crowds are making my head spin, etc.
Not a runner, not on the spectrum, so take this for what it's worth. The entire time I was reading your post, I was thinking, "well, what about a few notes tucked in your pocket, all starting with 'I need help with' and then different issues like 'getting to a quiet place immediately', or 'getting medical attention', or 'contacting my husband'?

The volunteers in the red shirts at the finish line (and on the course) are medical. You can always seek one of them out. Once your cross the finish line, the medical area is to the immediate right. You can see it as you get your medal, but before you get your water and Powerade. A big tent, plus people getting ice, sitting on benches.

They shoo people out of the finish shoot because there are easily thousands of runners coming through. It becomes too hectic and crowded to have people wait in that small area. Would it be possible for your husband to run with you OR wait for you after you pick up your snack box? That is what all of those other people are doing while they are sitting on the ground eating their bananas :thumbsup2 Set up a pre-arranged spot prior to the run.

He might try waiting/standing in the medical area, but they may discourage that to make room for the runners who need the seats/medical treatment when they finish. Good luck on your next race!

I have seen a Youtuber with ASD that does the run Disney ( I think he lives in Canada ) if I can find one of his videos maybe you could send him ( or his mom an email or whatever thought his channel and ask him what he does)

I would suggest writing something down something very brief like I have autism ( and then your two main triggers) can you help me find a quiet place or call my husband at ( his number) a good number of people have a little idea what ASD is so you more then like do not need to go in great detail )

I would contact run Disney and ask them what they suggest you do ask them if they have any type of social story on where to go or what happens after the race or if they can come up with a more detailed map so you can look over it beforehand and have some idea of where you can go what you can do ( like if it is too crowded look for XYZ that will be on the left or right and where it would be ( like after the finish line you pass ABC then you will see XYZ if you see QRS you have done too fair) I hope this made sense but hopefully, Disney can provide you with this information)

I would take earplugs or something to help with the noise and put them on when you get close to the finish line for me covering my head with something really helps with the crowds use a cooling Towle a lot at Disney but I would have something that you could cover your head ( not your face but so you can not see side to side just right in front of you I hold the side with my hands and do move my head side to side some but it really does help

While not a runner, as an aspie with lots of ASD genetics and a son who is Aspergers, I think that having done this type of event once the second time is likely to be much less stressful.. With that said preparation knowing your current limits and asking to help when needed are always helpful to avoid getting overwhelmed.

Wearing and Autism bracelet might be helpful in communicating with NTs

The volunteers in the red shirts at the finish line (and on the course) are medical. You can always seek one of them out. Once your cross the finish line, the medical area is to the immediate right. You can see it as you get your medal, but before you get your water and Powerade. A big tent, plus people getting ice, sitting on benches.

They shoo people out of the finish shoot because there are easily thousands of runners coming through. It becomes too hectic and crowded to have people wait in that small area. Would it be possible for your husband to run with you OR wait for you after you pick up your snack box? That is what all of those other people are doing while they are sitting on the ground eating their bananas :thumbsup2 Set up a pre-arranged spot prior to the run.

He might try waiting/standing in the medical area, but they may discourage that to make room for the runners who need the seats/medical treatment when they finish. Good luck on your next race!
That’s pretty much what we had planned and I was pretty close to the snack box area (but didn’t know it at the time) when I finally freaked and pulled out my phone to call my husband. I figured I was way past the medals, the fans, etc.. I had to be out of the major way and couldn’t figure out when the darn chute was going to end already. He ran too but it was a first Disney race for both of us. I finished under 2:45 so it wasn’t even that crowded yet, but he’s a waaay faster runner so I was literally on the phone having him try to walk me through the exit (if crazy power trip lady had paid attention she could have figured that out) Having never run here before I was completely unprepared for how LONG the exit was. (It felt never-ending) so between having an autoimmune flare up and of course as an aspie when something doesn’t go according to plans or meet expectations the loud, grumpy lady I encountered was so assaulting to my senses. I mean maybe she was trying to help, but shouting the exit is THAT way, over and over again is so not helpful. Like HOW FAR that way, did I pick up everything I was supposed to, did I miss anything, should I get medical attention? ( I actually did miss the Powerade in all the commotion) I totally understood not to be in the way of the finish line, but since I was so far past it I was getting disoriented and probably panicking a little bit I guess you could say. (Pretty darn sure I had heat stroke too)
I‘ve run track, cross country, reasonable size 5ks but I guess I just never expected the finish like, so long and twisty turny, that so I was just DONE.

Last edited:
While not a runner, as an aspie with lots of ASD genetics and a son who is Aspergers, I think that having done this type of event once the second time is likely to be much less stressful.. With that said preparation knowing your current limits and asking to help when needed are always helpful to avoid getting overwhelmed.

Wearing and Autism bracelet might be helpful in communicating with NTs
Very true! It was definitely the unexpected that threw me for a loop. And well, it’s been a lifetime of not asking much for help. I never identified these issues until my daughter was actually diagnosed and I guess I’m still even at my age learning to recognize my limits and triggers as I never had help doing so before. I toughed things out, have always just done the research and prepared...prepared...prepared. It‘s been eye opening to say the least and a learning curve to ask for help, but figuring out a hidden disability as an adult instead of in my youth definitely explains why I could break down in the simplest of situations when 95% of the time I could have it all perfectly together. Even putting this all out here feels really, really weird. Definitely something I need to learn how to do more now.

I need these kind of pushes as a reminder to ask for help, since I find it so hard to do. I probably would have asked someone at the end but everything was so rushed and crazy and then when I encountered the nasty lady I was totally at loss to form the right words. (physical shock from the race....now meet mental shock from nasty volunteer!) Definitely leaning towards making myself some cards, as embarraising as that is to me versus feeling bad for not standing up for myself. Or melting down or my attitude coming across all wrong)

Also, there is an App for iPhones (and I believe it's available for Android devices as well) called very simply "Emergency Chat" You can customize it with an emergency message, and during a time when you can't speak, but *can* text it lets you communicate with someone right in front of you. This is what the icon looks like: 479712

You did *great* for your first time! And I don't have any similar issues, but I have seen videos of the ends of those races and the level of chaos and crazy gives *me* a stress response. You were awesome! Don't let that one lady ruin your victory - look at what you did! You ran the race, and that's fantastic! I won't ever be able to do that, so I think *you* are a hero! 😍

Also, there is an App for iPhones (and I believe it's available for Android devices as well) called very simply "Emergency Chat" You can customize it with an emergency message, and during a time when you can't speak, but *can* text it lets you communicate with someone right in front of you. This is what the icon looks like:

You did *great* for your first time! And I don't have any similar issues, but I have seen videos of the ends of those races and the level of chaos and crazy gives *me* a stress response. You were awesome! Don't let that one lady ruin your victory - look at what you did! You ran the race, and that's fantastic! I won't ever be able to do that, so I think *you* are a hero! 😍
oh you are the sweetest! That really does mean a lot. It’s so nice of you to recognize what a big emotional deal these races are. ❤️❤️

That’s pretty much what we had planned and I was pretty close to the snack box area (but didn’t know it at the time) when I finally freaked and pulled out my phone to call my husband. I figured I was way past the medals, the fans, etc.. I had to be out of the major way and couldn’t figure out when the darn chute was going to end already. He ran too but it was a first Disney race for both of us. I finished under 2:45 so it wasn’t even that crowded yet, but he’s a waaay faster runner so I was literally on the phone having him try to walk me through the exit (if crazy power trip lady had paid attention she could have figured that out) Having never run here before I was completely unprepared for how LONG the exit was. (It felt never-ending) so between having an autoimmune flare up and of course as an aspie when something doesn’t go according to plans or meet expectations the loud, grumpy lady I encountered was so assaulting to my senses. I mean maybe she was trying to help, but shouting the exit is THAT way, over and over again is so not helpful. Like HOW FAR that way, did I pick up everything I was supposed to, did I miss anything, should I get medical attention? ( I actually did miss the Powerade in all the commotion) I totally understood not to be in the way of the finish line, but since I was so far past it I was getting disoriented and probably panicking a little bit I guess you could say. (Pretty darn sure I had heat stroke too)
I‘ve run track, cross country, reasonable size 5ks but I guess I just never expected the finish like, so long and twisty turny, that so I was just DONE.

That is totally understandable. RunDisney was also my first large race and Princess is one of the biggest. So many things going on at once and twisty is a good description! It can seem long since they have to spread it out so as not to have a thousand people coming to a complete stop. Granted, it didn't help you, but the volunteer wasn't yelling at you. Just fulfilling their task of telling people which direction to keep moving. Definitely reach out to runDisney. They have someone who works with athletes who might need some additional help. I'll ask one of my friends if they have a specific name. Hopefully, people have given you enough tips to make your next run more magical. And congratulations on your finish!!

. Granted, it didn't help you, but the volunteer wasn't yelling at you. Just fulfilling their task of telling people which direction to keep moving. Definitely reach out to runDisney. They have someone who works with athletes who might need some additional help. I'll ask one of my friends if they have a specific name. Hopefully, people have given you enough tips to make your next run more magical. And congratulations on your finish!

Oh this was definitely was grumpy and loud. I think she was ticked I was on my phone walking through the shoot but she had no clue it was my version of an a accommodation. (She literally came right up to my ear I had the phone up to totally being a smart a$$ about it. It’s not like I was in the middle of the race on my phone in someone’s way. I was to the side of the chute trying to get ahold of my husband since I felt heat sick and confused and overwhelmed on my way trying to walk out) I’m actually ok with gauging tone (I know that’s not always common) and hers was nasty . 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️She just was a little power trippy I think. Everyone else at the end was perfectly fine and nice and efficient. Just bad luck I guess I managed to find the most misunderstanding volunteer to be on the phone in front of.

Thank you also! And yes, definitely lots of advice. Now that I know what to expect I can be better prepared. I never expected it to be sooooo different every other race I’ve run. I might still reach out to RunDisney just to see if they have other suggestions. I’m sure they don’t want people waking out of the chute and around in a stupor at the end of the race like I did. Of course just knowing how far I have to go at the end now will probably be enough.

My 17yo son is on the spectrum, and I have some "spectrum-like" sensitivities to overstimulation from crowds, noise, lights, etc. And I run Disney a lot. I 100% get it!

For both my son (who has run a few rD events with me) and I, what helps us get through it mostly is mitigating exposure. Before a race, I find a spot to hang out that's out of the thick of things, away from the DJ, not in the line of flashing lights, etc. Walking to my corral, I pick a side and stay there, so even though I'm in the crowd, I can look to the side where it's clear. I wear earbuds: no music until I'm running, but just having them in mutes the sound well, and music while I'm running helps me tune out the crowd and noise. I also wait in the back of my corral, where things are saner and there's room to put some distance between myself and others. After the finish, I just keep moving until I'm out of the congestion and somewhere more open. And after the race, I spend at least a couple hours, sometimes more, quietly chilling in my room. It all helps a lot, I find!

I've also found that the more races I do, the easier it is to manage and the less things bother me. I think now that you've experienced it, it won't be quite so challenging because you already know what to expect!

Headphones to block out the noise, or airbuds, etc.that way you could hear what was going on on your phone as well as lock out the surrounding noise.

Do they block out the noise that bothers you?

A little bit. I mainly use music to calm & focus & motivate me while running. For safety reasons it’s never really good to block out all noise if you can help it especially at a crowded race. I’m relatively ok with noise (it’s unknowns and yelling and disorganization that disorient me)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!