Any seamstresses out there? Need advice.

asafko

Mouseketeer
My son has a "blankie" that he loves. It is very worn...the dog chewed two holes in it and the fabric is worn (thin). For Christmas, I wanted to get this fixed somehow. I do not know how to sew. I am horrible at it. Would a seamstress be able to come up with a way to repair it (was thinking of adding a similar fabric to the back of it-not sure if this is even possible). He really wants to preserve it as a blanket somehow so he doesn't want it made into something else. Thanks for any help.

My son has a "blankie" that he loves. It is very worn...the dog chewed two holes in it and the fabric is worn (thin). For Christmas, I wanted to get this fixed somehow. I do not know how to sew. I am horrible at it. Would a seamstress be able to come up with a way to repair it (was thinking of adding a similar fabric to the back of it-not sure if this is even possible). He really wants to preserve it as a blanket somehow so he doesn't want it made into something else. Thanks for any help.
Can you post a photo?

Phew...I was having such a hard time uploading!

Attachments

• IMG_4128.jpg
    IMG_4128.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_4129.jpg
    IMG_4129.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_4130.jpg
    IMG_4130.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 130
If the holes weren't circles, they could easily be fixed. :( Unfortunately, there isn't an easy way to repair a hole in the shape of a circle. Is this a blankie that he still uses? Otherwise, I would put it away as is as a keepsake.

What about putting a fleece backing on it? You could use a no-sew adhesive and use an iron to adhere it.

So he would die if he knew I shared this but he does still sleep with it. He has taken it to Ireland, Paris and Disney so it is very special to him. He was absolutely devastated when the dog chewed the holes in it - he was heartbroken. I was thinking something along the lines of the fleece backing but I am so afraid of messing it up. Might run by Joann's and see what they have.

A seamstress certainly could sew on a backing. He or she would probably also applique around the holes, stitching the holes to the backing, and also tack the backing at other spots throughout so it does not shift in use. That no-sew adhesive would be my last possible choice.

One hole looks pretty close to the edge. You could cut a strip off that includes that hole, then re-edge the whole thing. But the other hole doesn't look close to the edge. Where is it on the blanket?

Honestly, the whole thing looks pretty worn. I don't think you're going to get a pretty result no matter what you do. I would probably cut the whole thing down to the largest size possible that eliminated the holes. Then add fleece panels around the outside to fill out the size.

Good luck! Let us know what you do.

I'd probably hand stitch the holes with a blind hem and add a layer of soft fabric (minky maybe) to the other side. You'll be able to see where the holes were stitched, but it would keep them from getting bigger.

My son's object was his baby sling, but then when he was a toddler, he used to rip at it in bed. It literally became a couple rings with all these shreds of fabric. I made him a fleece bag with an elasticized opening, that "Sling" now resides in. He still sleeps with it, and he's, um, 21.

A seamstress certainly could sew on a backing. He or she would probably also applique around the holes, stitching the holes to the backing, and also tack the backing at other spots throughout so it does not shift in use. That no-sew adhesive would be my last possible choice.

I agree with this. The iron on adhesive will be stiff and will not hold for long. Have a seamstress add a backing and tack it down. The results may not be perfect but will get the job done. I repaired a blanket of my son's with a lot of zig-zag stitching and a "love patch" (just a cotton plaid fabric patch cut from an old button up shirt). The blanket was cotton with a satin edging. I didn't even match the thread, but it works.

I would use a cotton backing on your son's blanket. Although a thin fleece would work, I think cotton would be more durable and give a better feel if you use a nice quality fabric.

I will try and post pics of my son's blanket when I get home.

Thank you all so much. I really wish I was good at sewing...I admire all of you who can.

I have made multiple repairs to my dds blanket (she is now 16). I have zig zag stitched all around the edges (some areas more than once), applied a few patches, added fabric to cover up holes and stitched together areas that were wearing thin. A lot of love has gone into preserving blankie. A good seamstress will be able to help. I use a $129.00 sewing machine from Wal Mart and it works just fine.

For the 2 holes I'd probably evaluate my options: using a patch vs trying to tack the areas down. It would depend on how worn the surrounding areas were and the circumference of the holes.

Good luck. I know how precious these blankets are and I'd try my best to keep it the original size.

I agree a good seamstress should be able to do what you want. I would also consider a quilter.They are used to putting backs on their quilts.Some simple quilting would hold the layers together properly.Many also do appliqué work that could be done to cover the holes.

Honestly, it's pretty threadbare - but I get that it's well loved and I had a blankie, that I eventually had to put away for fear of losing it forever. I would also go with the idea of some sort of backing, and try and put it away as a keepsake. Good Luck!

I sew... not a professional...

I would go the professional route... as this is something that you don't want messed up... they can use a backing of fleece, or cotton to strengthen it up some... and maybe patch around the holes, even with this...the fabric is still going to keep on deteriorating, with washing and drying... you might want to start washing on delicate cycle and hanging up to dry to help cut down on more wear on the fabric.

You could also maybe have a quilt made out of it...

I sew professionally. My observation ...... The blanket is in bad shape and will just keep getting worse. Putting a new backing on it will not give your son the "feel" he is used to. Coincidentally, this same exact thing happened to my daughter's blanket after about 8 years of serious love. I chose to hold a ceremony for the blanket and we put it in a fancy box that she still occasionally pulls out. We then went to the fabric store and I let her pick out the fabric SHE wanted and I made her a new one that is slightly bigger ..... all to her specifications. She is now 30 years old with 2 boys and still sleeps every night with her "new" Ariel blanket (which has held up much longer than her original). She even told me a few weeks ago that she still occasionally pulls out her first blanket and remembers it fondly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!