Any suggestions on Off Property Hotels?

dbb00

Earning My Ears
I've been reading through the forums, and it seems the general concenus is - staying On property Disney is the best idea. I've never been to Disney before, I've been pricing vacation packages for weeks now through travel agents and online, but staying on Disney seems fairly expensive. It will only be me and one teen, but even with scrimping and saving, we are on a strict budget. I would like to make this trip an event to remember since we only get to take vacations every couple years. So... is staying off property that bad? I've found what appears to be pretty good deals on off property hotels...but it worries me if they are good places to stay. Unfortunately, I can't be picky on picking when i can go to WDW..We will be going June 10th for 6 days. Are there any discounts that could help me for then? Any suggestions on places to stay? Sorry this was so long, but i'm new here. I really would appreciate any information anyone is willing to give.

First tip, don't look at or think about the package deals. You do much better on your own!
Will you be driving or flying? That might make a difference as to where you stay.

First trip for me: 1973
(the year of my birth)
DL a few times and WDW a zillion times (it seems) :) up until 1989 when MGM opened
First trip w/ DH (28), DS (4), DD (2): 2/28-03/06/01-Wyndham Palace
Next trip: 09/28-30/01 ASMu; 09/30-10/08/01 ASMo

Thank you Penny. I will be driving. It's a long drive, but in the long run, it will save money. I really would like to find a nice place to stay at a good rate. I have been looking at the Four Points Sheraton Lakeside. Any thoughts on this one, or any suggestions for better ones? Also, is buying the park hopper passes the best way to go?

I just looked them up on the internet and it looks like a great place...AAA offers good room rates too from 79$ and they offer packages...
and a shuttle to Disneyworld...
We stayed at the Courtyard Marriot at DTD which wasn't the greatest but you can still have an enjoyable trip without staying on Disney property..If you wanted to go cheaper, the further you get from Disney (near Universal) the rooms are very cheap...But then you have to deal with the driving....the passport info, I know AAA offers 5% off and someone just said something about WAlmart travel which I know nothing about...hope this helps and have fun!
Holycow

Holycow

Have a great trip!

cow.gif

If you can live with Pricelines policies (non changes, no cancellation, limited control over hotel) you might try them.
Priceline Bidding Forumis a very good resource to use before bidding.
Also check the travel reservation link at this website. Some hotels include a breakfast. That might save you money.

I've been researching both onsite and offsite in prep for a May trip. I can afford onsite, but I won't enjoy it unless I'm darn sure I'm getting something for my extra $$$$. Don't worry about staying off property and having a nice vacation. There is alot on these boards about the benefits of staying OFF property. I think the Orlando hotels board had a thread a few weeks ago "Who stayed onsite and didn't get hooked".

On property you don't necessarily pay for a nicer place to stay. You pay to stay on Disney property, and for a few "perks" like early entry and e-nights. For the usual cost of an All Star, which are small and very basic hotel rooms, you can get a 1 bedroom suite offsite in a brand new new all suites hotel! For a little more money than an All Star, but still less than a moderate, you can stay in really nice all suite resort location.
Alot of these places have really cool water slides, games rooms, family activities etc etc etc.

By all accounts, these places are definitley conveniently located within easy access to Disney.

Since I haven't been yet, I don't want to specifically mention names of places - but do look at the hotels specifically advertised on this site. Check the Orlando Hotels board to get ideas about other places. And try some of the hotel deal web sights you'll read about as well

Hi!
We are staying offsite. One reason is because there is 7 of us and another is $$$. I booked what I think is a great deal at Comfort Suits Maingate. I got a rate of about $85 for the first night and $55 for the additional nights. Beautiful hotel and the rooms are suites. Mine has 2 queen beds, a pullout couch, fridge, micro, etc.. Go to choice-hotels.com and check it out!
Hope this helps!

My family and I have beeen going to Disney now for several summers and staying offsite has always worked for us with no problems at all.

We stay off property to save money on meals/restaurants (close to a wide variety of sitdown restaurants with good-priced buffets and menus), shopping/souvenir venues, and being nearby grocery stores to purchase miscellaneous items (also generally stay offsite because we venture off to other spots like Universal and Sea World).

I believe also like the above poster that staying at an offsite location doesn't necessarily warrant a lousy and unsatisfying vacation as well as making a decision of staying onsite doesn't 'automatically guarantee' a smoothly flawless or enjoyable one either. I have read just as many reported 'horror' stories about staying at onsite hotels as I have concerning off-site places. So, I wouldn't worry too much like the above poster said.

There are definitely reputable hotels in the Kissimmee (maingate area) and Orlando that provide excellent accomodations along with quality customer service with most being a stone's throw up the road from all the Disney parks.

Also, the off-property hotels that are featured on this site have been known to be great places to stay many times over. Most "Disney/Orlando" guide books found in stores list off-property hotels that have been officially researched and found to be 'recommended' hotels of stay.

I have heard a lot of great things about such properties as Holiday Inn Family Suites, the Clarion resorts, Marriott, and Westgate Villas. My family and I just recently enjoyed a wonderful stay last year at the Howard Johnson Maingate West. We had a great room that was in mint condition and the deskstaff/housekeeping was superb.

I think there are really good benefits to staying off-property because most of the hotels are usually priced to match and offer just about the same amenities such as breakfast bars, pools, laundry facilities and the like.

Wherever you stay I hope you have a terrific time.

We will be driving from Chicago and visiting WDW in November. Thanks to Priceline, our total cost for lodging for 11 nts. (9 in Orlando and 2 on the road during the trip down and back) is just under $200. In Orlando, we're staying at the Amerisuites on I-Drive and that even includes breakfast every day! We've never stayed onsite because I can't justify the cost. We always have access to a car and I like to be able to eat off site as well as onsite. We also like to be able to drive around and sigthsee.

Priceline's policies are strict - no changes, refunds, cancellations, etc. but they definitely have been a wonderful resource for us.

We have been going almost every year for approx 10 years with approx 11 of us each time. Adults and kids.

We have stayed at the same place every year. We would not think of going elsewhere. We pay $99.00
a night for a $169.00 a night room just by simply asking for the triple AAA discount when we call.
We stay at Homewood Sweets in Kissimee right near the a main highway let off, and just off from the main strip in Kissimee. Litterly 10 minutes from the Disney gates.

This was bought by Marriot 2 years ago, but is stilled called HomeWood sweets. They have nice rooms with efficiency kitchens. Like condos really. Their pool area is quite clean and heated. Basketball and tennis courts. A hawaiin night.
There 'Free Continental breakfast is to die for'. they have way more then your average continental breakfast. The kids love it. at night they have ordirv type food for free. They have a little store which I find to be very reasonable on pices.

They have free transportation to all of the parks.
It really is a pretty setting. If I sound passionate about the place, I am. I really feel like we get our moneys worth.

Wherever you go make sure to ask if they have a heated pool, because some do not. Homewood sweets has another location in Lake Buenavista, but their pool is no heated. The kids love to swim. Sorry that this was so long winded.

We are going in the beginning of April again this year.

We have stayed both On and Off Site and really enjoyed both, but Off Site is alot cheaper! We liked The Holiday Inn and Suites, But we've also stayed in Private Villas a few times and this is our favourite choice. They are usually beautifully furnished, spacious, often have a private or shared pool, and are convenient for shops and restaurants, as well as Disney.
You can save money by eating Breakfast in the villa, and can get to cheaper Restaurants than Disneys, we liked Ponderosa, Shoney's, and Perkins, for your evening meal, so only have to pay Disney prices for a light lunch.
Have a great time, wherever you decide to stay. :) :cool: ;)

rented a two bedroom condo for 70 dollars a night last may. with a washer,dryer,two baths, three tv' and a roman tub in the master. a really nice place. located just off of international drive...maybe del verde drive. it is closer to universal but still very convinent to disney. they did not pressure us to by at all. booked through leisurelinkintl.com booked daytona beach thru them also! very pleased with the personal attention! enjoy ask for sunshine II

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter