Anyone bought a new scooter? What kind?

freemore

Mouseketeer
I'm, thinking of buying my own scooter for use when we travel and at home. Can you tell me what is a good kind to buy? I would need a heavy duty one. thanks Freemore

You might want to start looking at www.pridemobility.com to see what they offer. That way you can get an idea of some types and specifications.

Also, you might want to look under "Medical Equipment" in you local yellow pages and visit some dealers. That way you can also get familiar with soome of the other brands.

Most important is you want to find a dealer you are comfortable with, so if you have problems with the ECV, or need accessories, you will have someone to work with. (For example, I found one locally who made me a special cable for charging my ECV batteries so I don't have to take the disassembled ECV out of the car and then put it together to charge the batteries.)

I just got a Pride Go-Go Elite as a holiday present (to myself). I am going to be a powerchair user soon and we didn't want to screw with insurance. I got mine off ebay, with 1 year service agreement. Good thing too as it needed service (turns out the brushes on the go-gos are not good quality and all it needed was oil, but the lous noise is already starting back). Otherwise its great I can get it out of my SUV with no assistance, getting it in is and issue because of my balance problems. Do you mean heavy duty as in durable or for use because one is overweight? I thnk the Go-Go can hold up to 160lbs. I had a Revo 4 wheel which was great but a pain in the rear to transport, so I sold it. I think my revo could hold 250-300lbs.

I bought myself a Leisure Lift/Pacesaver Espree Atlas heavy duty 3 wheeled scooter in June and really enjoy it. I haven't been out with it for about a month due to the weather and not having anywhere to go, really, but have used it a lot. I flew with it in Oct. also and had no problems.

I chose the Leisure Lift/Pacesaver as it was about $800 less than the pride and was rated very well also. I struggled to find ratings on scooters and there were few. I can say I have been happy with it. If money was not an issue I would have gone with the Pride Maxim.

Now I hope to get a new minivan with a lift so I can do this by myself. I can actually do it but I struggle with the heaviest piece and my car trunk. It is just not worth it unless I have help with me.

I was just coming over here to ask about scooters. So I hope I can jump in on this thread.

I've been looking at ebay b/c I'm buying for my mom and can't afford a new one. I need one that can be broken down and put in the trunk of a car. I also don't know that I can easily lift 100 pounds.

so I'm interested in some info too!
thanks!
tara

Thanks for sharing all your informationa and experience. I'm definitely going to buy one for use at home so I can get out and do more things here.
Freemore

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter