Anyone else cutting back this Christmas?

My wife said we were cutting back this year and did all the shopping in October. But, she is still shopping online even as I type this. Going to be a banner year for the kids and grandson.

We having been slowing cutting back a little over the last couple of years now that the kids are 23 and almost 21. We were getting them 10 gifts each when they were little but that included a new book, a new pair of pjs, a candy item, a few wanted Santa gifts and anything else they needed at the time were given as gifts... socks, undies, a new jacket or shoes, jeans or whatever was worn out and need replacement. I always thought the more to open the more fun. I still think that so they will get 2 or 3 wanted items and 2 other fun random items that tend to be under $10 each. 5 items total from dh and I. One set of gp's goes overboard with a lot of gifts and the other set usually just gives them a $25 gift card to a store. I can't change any of that even though I tried over the years. :)

Yes, we are definitely cutting back. Our youngest is 18 and honestly, he and his sister (20) haven't asked for much either. We will get their few wish list things, funny pjs, socks, and whatever stocking fillers. We will probably give them cash as well as oldest DD/SIL.

Our girls are now 30 and 32 and this is the year we decided that going forward, we will only be buying gifts for the grandkids. Our girls both agree with the plan. Our whole family buys what we want when we want it and the joy of gift giving is basically gone (excepting kids). We have decided to focus more on birthdays from here on out. As for nieces and nephews, for years we have no longer gifted after the age of 18.

In our extended family on mom’s side, it was never a thing to buy gifts for nieces and nephews. My mom was the youngest of seven, and five of her siblings also had large families of between four and nine kids each. We didn’t even get much in the way of presents from those grandparents because there were so many grandkids (I usually got a book, which made me happy). My dad, on the other hand, was an only child, so no extended family to buy for.

We didn’t cut back this year, but my shopping was finished when I found out my job was toast this week. So next year will probably be a year for cutbacks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter