Anyone else spending way less money?

I moved last November and donated a lot of stuff since I was moving cross country. It sucks to have to do first year home repairs and replace donated stuff during the time of Corona. I’m waiting on a water heater to replace the existing one. I replaced toilets last week along with my rice cooker. I’m putting a grill together this weekend. And I just order some more clothes from Costco and REI. I’m saving money on haircuts and gas. Of course, now all of my meetings have moved to Zoom, and I’ll look like the Dude in another month.

We're spending a lot less. We're not doing take-out (I'm not comfortable with it), not driving anywhere, and our grocery bill has been way down because I'm ordering online (so no impulse buys) and have gone back to cooking entirely from scratch, including baking all of our bread, making homemade pasta, etc. We haven't been out to Target, which helps as well. And the kids aren't in school, so no school fees, field trips, school pictures, etc.

Just dropped more money on books for myself and my daughter. In my defense our state tax refund came through today. :)

I haven't bought books in so long that now it feels like I fell off the wagon. I was doing so well just going to the library. Oh well.
Our library lets you download books, a thought for Future Reading... in the meantime enjoy your books!

Much like everyone else - more on groceries, less on gas. But I may take up drinking soon, so that could get expensive. 🍷
LOL, yeahhhh we stocked up yesterday on beer, wine and other drinks yesterday, the total almost made me choke, but still a lot less than going out for drinks! I can buy a bottle of wine for the cost of a glass in a restaurant, I just don't usually buy so many at once lol.

Just got my big credit card bill for March, and noted it was somewhat lower than normal. I checked and we received $900+ in hotel/Airbnb cancellation credits...woo hoo!

I have another $500-$600 pending and then a whole bunch of credits if we have to cancel our June Alaska trip.

We are also spending a lot less.. Only ordering take out once a week. Also, with cancelling our May trip ... That has put some money back in the bank!

We are spending more on food. Have been stocking up for when cases surge here and we really don’t want to be anywhere near a grocery store. Had to have my brakes done which was about $500 I wasn’t really expecting in March.

Also going to order a new salt generator for our pool which we need to replace along with the salt and chemicals to get it going in case this stretches into summer and we are still at home. Don’t want to need one in May and then everyone is trying to get pool supplies and they are out of stock. Plus I noticed some stores are now closing aisles so you can only buy “essential” items so I’m planning ahead.

April should be better moneywise. I hope.🤪

I think you're in MA, correct? I am as well, and work for a pool company. Right now, our service department and retail location are still operating, because open bodies of water will need to be sanitized. We're doing curbside pickup on orders, and probably would not be a bad idea to get your salt and chemicals now to beat the rush.

I wish I could say we were spending less. Eating out less? Yes sadly. All our local Chinese takeout shut down, the Greek place closed... if I wanted takeout I'm limited to fast food and chain restaurants 😞 ...
But our hobbies? We've spent SO much more cash. I blew 300$ on Etsy recently, commissioned art from a friend online, we both bought a new full priced game and now he's eyeing Doom Eternal, and he bought two perfect grade Gundam kits (160$ for one, 250$ for the other). We've been ordering things to have stuff to look forward to.

I thought we we were going to be spending less but the grocery bills are way more than usual.
The only store I can get a delivery from is way more expensive than the regular store I shop at. That, plus delivery fees and tip I am spending much more than normal on groceries.
However, we haven't been out to eat or gotten take out in a month, and that was a weekly sometimes a couple times a week thing for us.
Plus we've been ordering things to keep us busy and entertained while stuck at home.

I think you're in MA, correct? I am as well, and work for a pool company. Right now, our service department and retail location are still operating, because open bodies of water will need to be sanitized. We're doing curbside pickup on orders, and probably would not be a bad idea to get your salt and chemicals now to beat the rush.
Thanks! That is what I’m thinking. Everything is so unpredictable now I’m afraid if we wait we won’t be able to get things. Who knows how long we will be doing this stay at home stuff.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter