Anyone leave teaching? What do you do now?

I am too far in to bail.

So please, save yourself!

I am not teaching anymore, I am a school counselor, but my last counseling job (13 years ago now) was SO different than this one. There are now so many more things to do and not enough time to do them all.

I do have a few friends who left the classroom to work in textbook sales. They love it.

I have been teaching for 17 years so I have 13 years until I can retire and be fully vested. I plan to do that as soon as I can and then do something else, possibly work in a library.lf it were not for the pension and job security it would do it before then considering my job takes way too much time away from my family and all the "other stuff".

Last edited:

I taught two years and left. I then spent 5 years working in higher education in student services and loved it. Left the job when our family relocated. Accepted a local teaching job, taught a year and hated it!!! Only returned to teaching because we needed the paycheck. I really tried to enjoy it, but inner city schools zapped it from me. Plus I was split between two schools. Returned to higher education this past summer and am happy again.

FYI-It can be challenging to get into higher education without prior higher education experience. Thankfully I had someone who took a chance on me that got me in the door.

I left teaching after 20 years and moved into social work... I learned that some things are worse than teaching.

I moved into banking from there. I don't dislike banking, but I sure do miss the time off I had as a teacher. Also, I do catch myself trying to teach everybody stuff, I guess you never do really get it out of your system. :rotfl2:

The gal who was our school secretary was formerly a teacher. Oddly enough, her pension AS a secretary was set up different than our other secretaries because she had teaching credentials (even though all her teaching was private school). She now works at the Y. She was only 3 years from being able to draw a pension when she quit.

I left teaching when DD15 came along. I can’t imagine teaching and raising kids. It’s such a demanding job.

I taught 10th and 12th grade English. I admire those parents who teach and have a family. I would never be the same teacher I was before I had kids if I went back.

I have 17 years in, and I'm retiring at 62, 9 more years. I won't be fully vested. I don't care. I'm fried. I love my students, but it is a lot teaching dual language learners in an extremely low income district. Every year we have to do more with less. I'm fortunate to teach Pre-K and be NAEYC Accredited, so I have a full-time paraprofessional unlike my kindergarten colleagues who went from full-time paras to part-time to none. Then our Foster Grandparent Program was cut. 5 years ago, we had full-time paras and a part-time Foster Grandparent volunteers. Now kindergarten teachers are alone in a room with 24 students. It's so inappropriate. Our kids arrive with many deficits, and very little if any parental support. We are expected to work miracles with children who do not speak or understand English, and don't even have decent vocabularies in their home language. We have bilingual programs, but when parents are illiterate in their home language, not to mention English, it is even more challenging. This demanding job is really sucking the life out of me. All I think about is summer and Disney World.

I just want to make it to the minimum retirement age, take whatever pension I have earned, and get the h*ll out.

I left teaching because my hearing loss became too great to work in a classroom as I had been doing. My kids were young at the time so it was nice to be able to be home with them. I started selling some of the novel studies that I had created on eBay and then moved on to Amazon to make some vacation and hobby money. In 2010 I joined the website teacherspayteachers.com and have now built my store into a real business that pays the bills. I actually learned about the site here on the Disboards! It is very rewarding to start something from scratch like this, be able to be home with kids, have the flexibility of working from home, etc. all while still being able to stay connected to the industry that I was trained in and loved working in. The TpT community is very collaborative even though we are all competing against one another. I have made some very close friends there. If you have resources that you've created and that's something you enjoy doing I would look into it. The site has grown a lot and it is more of a marathon than a sprint to gain success, but it can be done if you are creative and find your special niche.

I taught for 22 years including time as a department head in a middle school. While there were some wonderful classroom moments where teaching seemed perfect I started looking around for other opportunities in our large school system (one of the 20 largest in the country). I got tired of the endless demands and over-reaching accountability. I moved into a school data analysis program where I helped teachers and principals look at their own school data to help kids improve achievement. Eventually I moved to supporting first year teachers in a high school and when the principal made my life miserable I retired.

Even though it was 2008, deep in the recession I easily found work supervising a help desk for a federal educational contract. I stayed there for 8 years before we relocated to Colorado.

What I learned over the years when applying for non-teaching jobs is that teachers are valued outside education for their excellent organizational, supervisory and planning skills, can handle crises, different personalities and individual needs. They have good writing and speaking skills. The government (federal, state and local) often have positions that need these skills.

Some of my fellow teachers who left the profession found jobs as editors, office managers, and at temp agencies. Several who worked at temp agencies eventually found great permanent jobs.

Thanks all! I love hearing what others have done. I am excited about closing this chapter and finding something else. This year has been really stressful.

I was an educational technician III (Maine's equivalent for paraprofessionals) for 9.5 years in a special education resource room for grades K-5. I taught ALL the math and supported writing and grammar for 20-30 students. Although my lead teacher is expected to do the lesson planning for each child, and send the ed tech in the appropriate direction for materials, it didn't work this way in reality. She was too busy with her end of the teaching load, paperwork, meetings, etc.; we, her techs, were pretty much on our own. I loved the kids, loved my job, but the pay was the killer and after 9.5 years (having worked my way up to $15.50 an hour), I left for a better-paying position managing the organic chemistry laboratories at our state's University. Although I will miss the vacations that come with public school teaching (my university appointment is year round, 40 hours a week... no academic schedule for me!), I am so relieved to be out from under the expectations of the state and governmental over-reaching that comes with teaching in the public schools. I miss my kids SO MUCH... but... the stress level that comes with education these days is incredible, and much is due to the demands, regulations, and rigidity. The lack of stress was obvious just last week, when I realized that this week is February vacation for my former school. Usually at this point, I'm counting down the days, cognizant of "just 6 more, just 5 more" every morning when I woke up. This year, I just don't feel like I am going to explode from the stress of my job!

I've seen many terrific, veteran teachers take retirement the second they are eligible, because they are just done, fried, by the demands. Some of them have come back as substitutes and they LOVE THIS. They get to teach, get to work with the kids, but don't have to meet all the demands of local, state, and federal agencies. They get to set their own schedules, work when they want, do what they love, but not be beholden to a system that demands they bend their ways.

I swear... In what other profession are you required to earn a 4 year degree, do an internship (student teaching), take additional classes to remain certified, take regular professional development, have a mentor for your first few years as a teacher... and then the government tells you what to teach, how to teach it, when to teach it, how much time to spend teaching it, how to assess it, how to report/track it, and THEN changes their regulations every 3-5 years so you can start over again? No wonder teachers burn out so quickly! (and this doesn't take into account the 100s of other things- behaviors, home issues, poverty, etc- that teachers deal with on a daily basis!)

I’d be a fool to give up my pension at this point so I might be stuck.
This. I need the retirement security and just the basic job security that teaching provides. Also as a mom, the fact that my holidays dovetail with my son's is important. I also love the summer break. But I'll probably retire as soon as I'm eligible. I've also considered going into curriculum planning at the district level after my son graduates. If I need a supplementary job after retirement, I'll probably substitute teach.

I am excited about closing this chapter and finding something else. This year has been really stressful.

There have been a few times in my 17-year career that I've really wanted out. Fortunately I'm satisfied with my current position. But I do understand the perspective of anyone who has just had enough...

Last edited:
9 years inner-city public, stopped when my kids were 4 & 1 home for 8 years. Started VERY part-time at a very small private school in 2016. Then DH lost his job. I went back full time, but to a private school. All of the regular classroom & parent stuff, but none of the state oversight, mandatory requirements, etc, plus FUNDING! I get all the new white board markers I need just by walking into the main office! There's always paper for copying! My room has it's own thermostat - I'm not freezing in summer & roasting all winter! Granted I'm not in the state retirement system, so I'll have to go back to public at some point, but the pay is actually decent and the health insurance is free! DH is working again, so we're maxing out our retirement accounts for now and I plan to just keep working at this point.

So for those of you who are only partially burned out... consider private school if you can handle the pay-cut & retirement.

Oh how I want to retire. I would retire right at this minute if I could. Currently I have 22 years. I can retire with a decent pension in three more years, but I cannot draw until I’m 55 (currently 50). So if I wait until I’m 55 to retire I will have three years left to get my 30 years in. This would equal $425 more a month.

For me right now the money is not worth the stress and being cussed at daily. It’s so sad at how teachers and adults for that matter are not respected or valued. Life is short and hopefully if it’s Gods will for me I will walk away with my twenty five years and do something else.

It’s so nice to see I am not alone in feeling this way. Your responses have made me see there is another life out there outside of teaching.

Good luck everyone. :daisy:

This is my tenth year teaching HS science and every few years I feel tire and burnt out but understand that I'm too invested in my career in terms of time and retirement to leave now. I did switch school districts a couple of years ago and felt like that has really improved my morale. My new district offers decent PD opportunities, great access to equipment and materials, and great parental involvement. I'm back to looking forward to the school day instead of dreading it. Even my hubs has remarked how much happier I am now teaching at my new school.

My last district, I was constantly bombarded with pink slips or threats of pink slips then it was school consolidation battles for the last few years I was there. In the last two years that I spent there, I was miserable and cranky every day. I was nothing but a number to the school administration and the school I was teaching at was chosen to be the one that was closing. No one knew whether they had a job or if they did, where would they go. People started to get combative and mean as the year went on, it was so bad. Every day literally felt like we were the crew on the Titanic and the ship was sinking after hitting the iceberg.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter