Anyone live in an area with modified hospitals & labs?

LuvOrlando

DIS Veteran
I realize I have a long list of things I should be getting done at labs & Dr offices but won't do because I'm just not going anywhere near those places unless it's life or death. I have asked if they have separate facilities for high risk people, like have they put aside a mamo center for high risk people or maybe a blood draw lab location or a tent only for high risk people and so far no hospitals are doing anything like this. Those of us who know we are at risk are aware and my grocery store is aware, how is it my hospital is oblivious? We are nine months in already, I think they could have adjusted by now - so weird. Anyone live in an area with modified hospitals & labs?

Back in the spring the hospitals and labs weren't doing anything with wasn't considered urgent. Now they are doing labs and other tests by appointment, no walk-ins. I would think if you are immune-compromised that you could make an early morning lab appointment (similar to the early morning store hours for seniors and the immune-compromised, though most of those have stopped here now).

We're not 9 months in.
More like 5.5 months in.

Hospitals treat everyone like they could have a dangerous disease even prior to the pandemic.

Most places I've seen or gone to are no visitors still, if you have to go you go alone (with some exceptions), you wear a mask, you are screened etc.
Most dr's visits and lab work is by appt only and you wait in the car until you are called/texted or in one case paged.

If you are in need of tests or care you really should be doing it.

My mom has non Hodgkin's lymphoma and has to have tests done every few months.
She has been going during the pandemic.

My dad has a lot of dental problems and has been doing during the pandemic.

I've gone to several routine visits during the pandemic.

I'd rather get a clean bill of health than be scared to go and end up missing something that could have been prevented or fixed.

I'd rather get a clean bill of health than be scared to go and end up missing something that could have been prevented or fixed.
So true! Our state health department is really urging people to continue conversations with their medical providers. Most routine visits are handled via telemedicine (and insurance is required to cover these); if in-person is necessary (such as vaccinations or labs or other tests) - providers are taking precautions. I have taken DD to dental, orthodontic and medical appointments in-person, and DH has been for lab work. We have felt perfectly safe even though some of us are considered high-risk for COVID complications).

I am high risk and have zero concerns using my usual places. For a while, no routine stuff was being done but that changed about 6-8 weeks ago. My lab place only allows the one getting work done inside. My rheumatologist did shut down for 3 months but is back to doing routine appointments.

I have to agree with the above that hospitals have always treated lab and testing facilities as the person could be contagious. My sister is extremely high risk (pulmonary hypertension requiring O2 24/7). We have taken her to at least 3 hospitals in the last 3 months for various lab work, testing and office visits. Not once, did I feel unsafe once inside, even the one research hospital that includes an infectious disease center. All of the waiting areas were set up for distancing and masks were required for all.

We even spent about 8 hours one day at one of the hospitals for 4 tests and lab work in 5 different locations. We figure that she is safer having the tests that are going to help maintain her health than putting these off any longer than necessary.

If the places are doing the social distancing, masks, and appts correctly, no need for "special hours" IMO. My recent mammogram was done very well - only 3 seats in the waiting room, you didn't even come in until your time, registration was online beforehand, and instead of using the changing room, I was asked to change in the exam room. I was near 4 people - the receptionist behind glass, the x-ray tech, the nurse who took my vitals, and my doctor. We all had masks on.

I will echo what the others have posted, precautions are already being taken to created as low a risk environment as possible for both employees and patients. This is being done through distancing, masking, and screening, as well as other measures like limiting the number of people/patients allowed in one place at a time [eg waiting outside to be called in, only the patient being allowed in, etc].

Here, medical professionals have been clear: continue medical care where possible. **Under the guidance of your physician** some things may be put off until later, but that is a discussion/decision made between you and your doctor that takes into account many factors, not a one-sided decision you make.

While some things may be able to be safely delayed, or may have to be delayed because the service is temporarily closed, ideally the decision is one made in partnership with your doctor so it is an informed decision.

SW

My daughters immunologist asked if we would prefer to have someone from the lab come out to our home to draw bloodwork. And most visits we are doing via telehealth. But some things its necessary to go in for, and those times we take precautions

Anyone live in an area with modified hospitals & labs?

I live in an area of the US that's been somewhat hard hit and our health plan is a Kaiser HMO. They have some centers operating with drive-though areas to get lab work (blood draws I'm guessing). They also say that you must come alone to your appointment unless you require assistance. I've been to a few medical centers to pick up prescriptions and have lab work and they haven't been very crowded....but some are more crowded than others. I agree with the suggestion to perhaps try to get in as a first appointment. I think the biggest issue is not with the staff but with the other people and whether they have the space to keep folks with good social distance, etc.

It's not that my care is absent, I do telehealth all the time. However, I am totally not going into anywhere that's a hub of illness for well anything & so far the only direction I got from my Dr. was to stay away and to date not a single Dr has redirected me, I do get triage and all so if it was really a thing they'd tell me. If I was about to lose a limb or thought I was at death's door then, yes, I would go but if that isn't what's up I am sitting put. That said, I know a few people who have been hurt by waiting, one being a friend's sister who couldn't get a colonoscopy and ended up with 4 abscesses and a perforation when she suddenly had UC & another who had a Chemo port go infectious and resisted the ER who ended up a mess, so I'm not advocating staying home if someone is scared or in a lot of pain etc - I'm not advocating anything just pointing out the weirdness. I truly don't get how it is that Lowes will come to my car, my groceries will come to my car, a pizza will come to my car, I can have spirits brought to my car and today I discovered that even WAWA will bring Pumpkin Spice to my car and yet not one medical facility near where I live in PA - an area with a constant low simmer of infection - will open up a drive through for bloodwork and all. I can't be the only person staying away, you'd think these facilities want the business and are made up of humans who go to stores and SEE the world is different but they won't budge.

Awesome that you have that Selket. Redsberyl it's great someone will come out to you. I really really hope where I am does something creative soon like moving people around so maybe maternal, infant health and well care all go in one facility and sick get spread out in some way where they aren't creating these sick people connection hubs - just yikes.

Drive thru labs are not safe. Risk of contamination is huge. Plus I can’t see how sticking your arm out the window will be comfortable while being jabbed with a sharp object

it’s one thing to stick a giant q tip up your nose in a production line. They all( or should) have self contained capsules attached for immediate coverage/ protection.

it takes twenty or thirty minutes on average to have my blood drawn. Phlebotomists run screaming at the sight of me. I am a VERY hard stick and they often cannot get a viable vein. Even my (recently) single vial needed for liver function is a production worthy of the most elaborate rituals. There is no way they could safely maintain a contamination free drive through blood work. They probably also don’t have the manpower or funds to do it

It would be almost impossible, IMO, to keep a tent out in a parking lot clean and sterile enough to do safe lab work. Also, my local lab makes patients schedule an appt, limits how many people can be in the waiting area, etc. There isn't an easy access "drive-up" spot next to the building either. It would either be in the way of patients coming in to see doctors, or a long haul back into the building with the samples, which isn't safe for the samples.

I understand why some might not want it and would opt out, no reason for it to be forced on people, but why would that be a reason to not have any version of drive up or outdoor labs at all for other people who won't go otherwise? I'm sure hospitals see losses by now and just standing firm isn't going to work, not for me anyway. Humans can either walk into grocery stores or do pickup and people seem to be able to work that out, they do this for Flu shots too so it's not unheard of, at least where we live. I don't really care about being uncomfortable but suspect how they do it up in Ma where they put a little needle with a tube in and then just swap the different collection vials causes no discomfort to me at all. If any one of the local hospitals does something outside or from my car at least I'd show up, as it is they are losing business that I would think they want and I'm sure the towns want the revenue. It would probably be a game changer for any local struggling facility.

The contamination issue doesn't really land for me. If many people indoors is bad then why is this different? My car and outside are definitely safer than any enclosed space shared with who knows who having who knows what & no way is some poor overworked lab tech cleaning the waiting room, pens and doors in between patients like WDW is doing. Throw in elevators etc at a facility and hospital acquired infections esp MRSA and the needle seems buried on the other side.

As for the tents, my region has already hospital tents they roll out for Flu season they bought after getting slammed during H1N1`. Plus, nearly every office I've ever seen has little boxes that safely store samples for when the lab driver swings by for pickup so it's probably more about moving the pieces on the game board and being adaptive.

Just weird that the medical world, upon which we are so reliant for defending us against illnesses which seem extraordinarily quick on their feet, is so slow to react, resistant to change and steeped in tradition, quite a mismatch.

t

The contamination issue doesn't really land for me. If many people indoors is bad then why is this different? My car and outside are definitely safer than any enclosed space shared with who knows who having who knows what & no way is some poor overworked lab tech cleaning the waiting room, pens and doors in between patients like WDW is doing. Throw in elevators etc at a facility and hospital acquired infections esp MRSA and the needle seems buried on the other side.

As for the tents, my region has already hospital tents they roll out for Flu season they bought after getting slammed during H1N1`. Plus, nearly every office I've ever seen has little boxes that safely store samples for when the lab driver swings by for pickup so it's probably more about moving the pieces on the game board and being adaptive.

Just weird that the medical world, upon which we are so reliant for defending us against illnesses which seem extraordinarily quick on their feet, is so slow to react, resistant to change and steeped in tradition, quite a mismatch.

Contamination indoors is much easier to fend off than outdoors. Air into the building is being filtered, etc. Labs aren't supposed to have open windows, and those little boxes are filled indoors. Giving a flu shot in a tent is different than taking a blood sample. If you want, I can get more clarification from my older daughter who works in cancer research at a lab in Texas.

I get that where they process the samples should be closed to contamination, a clean room is a clean room but I am talking about where they collect the samples, these are two different things.

Humans are closed systems, the blood sample is collected through puncturing a sanitized surface (alcohol swabbed skin) and drawing the sample into the closed system of the needle/vial etc so it never has a chance to be contaminated. Being outside for collection doesn't seem to change the basics of the collection side, and works for Flu vaccines (getting a shot) so it can't be that different to draw it, so there must be a measure of safety in the procedure. I'm not saying the processing labs should be move outside, those labs are totally different.

I guess the hospitals will either figure out how to bend and learn how to pivot to accommodate what their customers want or continue to deal with people like me staying away, just being honest.

I disagree that there is enough demand for routine lab samples to be drawn outside. Outside is less controllable for many factors, and less safe for the lab workers. Are you sure your hospital or doctor’s office won’t work with you to create an appointment where you can feel safe? That might mean an early morning appointment before any other appointments, and/or having the sample(s) drawn at your doctor’s office instead of the hospital, or maybe there is another solution.

I have asked and back in the Spring something was in the works but I guess they are trying to force things back to normal. I was just curious if other regions have this or not, I'm not really looking to debate the validity of it as a thing and most people are responding to the idea of it not whether or not it exists near them.

Reason I am asking is that I am OK to travel to one if I can find it, my insurance doesn't care where I go.

I realize I have a long list of things I should be getting done at labs & Dr offices but won't do because I'm just not going anywhere near those places unless it's life or death. I have asked if they have separate facilities for high risk people, like have they put aside a mamo center for high risk people or maybe a blood draw lab location or a tent only for high risk people and so far no hospitals are doing anything like this. Those of us who know we are at risk are aware and my grocery store is aware, how is it my hospital is oblivious? We are nine months in already, I think they could have adjusted by now - so weird. Anyone live in an area with modified hospitals & labs?

Nevermind. I realize now you wouldn't take my answer in the spirit it was intended anyway.

Last edited:
It's not that my care is absent, I do telehealth all the time. However, I am totally not going into anywhere that's a hub of illness for well anything & so far the only direction I got from my Dr. was to stay away and to date not a single Dr has redirected me, I do get triage and all so if it was really a thing they'd tell me. If I was about to lose a limb or thought I was at death's door then, yes, I would go but if that isn't what's up I am sitting put. That said, I know a few people who have been hurt by waiting, one being a friend's sister who couldn't get a colonoscopy and ended up with 4 abscesses and a perforation when she suddenly had UC & another who had a Chemo port go infectious and resisted the ER who ended up a mess, so I'm not advocating staying home if someone is scared or in a lot of pain etc - I'm not advocating anything just pointing out the weirdness. I truly don't get how it is that Lowes will come to my car, my groceries will come to my car, a pizza will come to my car, I can have spirits brought to my car and today I discovered that even WAWA will bring Pumpkin Spice to my car and yet not one medical facility near where I live in PA - an area with a constant low simmer of infection - will open up a drive through for bloodwork and all. I can't be the only person staying away, you'd think these facilities want the business and are made up of humans who go to stores and SEE the world is different but they won't budge.

Awesome that you have that Selket. Redsberyl it's great someone will come out to you. I really really hope where I am does something creative soon like moving people around so maybe maternal, infant health and well care all go in one facility and sick get spread out in some way where they aren't creating these sick people connection hubs - just yikes.
A lot of that isn't possible. The building spaces, HIPPA regulations. Lab draws need to be clean enough and some cars are not clean enough. Many medical facilities can't get a structure together that is safe for doctors and nurses to provide care in the car. And many people rely on public transportation, walking, friends to get to the office and can't change offices to allow the segregation. Plus there is the problem of how do you screen. The front desk often doesn't have medical details and can't make that scheduling. Patients lie -sadly often. It is really hard. Offices are doing all they can. And many are still seeking medical care and trusting it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter